Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i don't think this is something we're going to see eye to eye on so let's just leave it there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It depends on whether your priority is "yes I very much must get this done by tomorrow, I don't care how efficient it is" vs. "I'm not too fussed about when exactly I finish so long as it's reasonable, but I want to make efficient use of whatever portion of my time I do spend on it".

Both can be considered a way of doing something "faster", but it's important to be on the same page as the person you're comparing ideas with.

The first one is faster by end date minus start date but you might be doing literally nothing else except the grind. The second one is faster by actual hours spent on that task, but you'll also be doing other poo poo in between (e.g. playing other games, going outside) while waiting for daily resets.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
It's bad that the most efficient 45 - 51 dungeons are bad bad dungeons

Xaitil
Aug 5, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

I love Cactbot. Punch in one two three get 10k MGP!

Reveal your secrets!

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Xaitil posted:

Reveal your secrets!

I think this is a joke about how getting the jackpot on the mini-cactapot requires you to chose a line with 1,2, and 3 in it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Welp, finished the MSQ. And spent the better part of my evening punching Kefka until loot came out.

Think I'm ready to bring shadow all over their pale angel asses.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Xaitil posted:

Reveal your secrets!

The trick to Mini Cactpot is to look at your starting number on the 9x9 grid and make a Y shape out of it (rotate the Y appropriately).

You will always be able to tell if a 1,2,3 is possible and if it is, you always go for it and if it isn't, you look for 9,7,8 and if neither are possible, it's a fully poo poo card.

In my entire FFXIV career, I think I've had like 2 days of 3x10k's.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Mordiceius posted:

What I was trying to say is - if something is miserable, just don't do it?

Like, there are numerous different ways to get from 46-50. If your choice is to grind DD/AV, even though you hate it, you're only inflicting that pain on yourself and complaining about your self-inflicted pain is just stupid.

Every time I do a leveling roulette it gives me AV or DD anyway so gently caress it

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

a witch posted:

Man the night time themes are always so good.

How is there a night theme when the whole premise of the expansion says that there is no night time any more?

Maybe it's later in the story??

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Wolpertinger posted:

How is there a night theme when the whole premise of the expansion says that there is no night time any more?

One of the goals of the expansion is bringing night back to the first, the WoL even does it in both the cinematic trailer and the launch trailer so I don't think that's a spoiler.

Notapipe
Apr 4, 2011

100% Self-Loathing Posting

Wolpertinger posted:

They confirmed that the zones will get their night cycles back as you do the MSQ

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Notapipe posted:

They confirmed that the zones will get their night cycles back as you do the MSQ

Yeah, I just assumed it'd be something only done enough to get anything as significant as a 'night theme' past the end of the story - not something people coulda ripped from the small amount of game demos we've seen.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The trick to Mini Cactpot is to look at your starting number on the 9x9 grid and make a Y shape out of it (rotate the Y appropriately).

You will always be able to tell if a 1,2,3 is possible and if it is, you always go for it and if it isn't, you look for 9,7,8 and if neither are possible, it's a fully poo poo card.

In my entire FFXIV career, I think I've had like 2 days of 3x10k's.

I don't know if a y is optimal. I always use an L or t shape depending on the starting position.

But yes, if 123 is possible you should always be able to tell and get it, and fall back to 789 if that was on there.

It's always worth going for 123. Even if you had it revealed so that you saw 789 with blanks where 123 could be, it is worth the risk. 123/789 are like a 9% chance to be on a card (maybe it was 1 in 9) and it should come out as a net gain in the long run, so long as you hit them when they come up.

I really enjoy mini cacpot. Maybe I'll make a guide.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
There's also this site that tries to solve your cactpot cards.

https://ff14-cactpot.wotax.net/

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
i cant remember, was there a pre-download for the Stormblood patch before early access went live?

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

GoldenPrice posted:

i cant remember, was there a pre-download for the Stormblood patch before early access went live?

Yeah, they put the expansion up for pre-loading about 8-12 hours before maintenance ends.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

itskage posted:

I don't know if a y is optimal. I always use an L or t shape depending on the starting position.
Y is optimal because it gives you the most coverage on a card at around 75% (you know 66% of half the combinations and 33% of the other half) AND it works with every possible starting position. You will always be able to draw a Y on a card no matter what.

The only shape better than it is a T that touches 3 corners and that's not possible if you get a starting point in the middle of one of the sides (in terms of a 10 key: the 8, 4, 6, and 2 spots.)
The card coverage tops out at around 80% (you know one combination, 66% of three and 33% of half.)

L's and non-corner T's you're shifting your probability around to cover less of the board in exchange for outright knowing a combination. I want to say it comes in around 40% (0% of one combination, 100% of another, you know 33% of half the combinations and 66% of two of them.)

This is napkin math so my total probability coverage is likely off by a bunch but I know my methodology is sound.

Always go for 123's, since they pay out a full 2.78x more than the next highest combination, 789. So you can afford to miss two of those per 123 and still come out ahead.

I need to check how much MGP I've gotten in the gold saucer but I know it's somewhere around 3-4 million because of my purchases and that's, like, 90% from doing my mini cactpot every single day. Drawing a Y, picking towards 123's (I got lazy and forgot about the corner T until looking at the probabilities just now. :shobon:)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 17, 2019

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've been using the solver forever and actually finding the well paying combinations is never the issue, it's actually having them on the scratch card in the first place.

In the end it's still luck/RNG.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Anyone want to help contribute to a "final countdown to SHB checklist"? https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z9u96aJeGbpcn7RXTxW4c2xuUw2r2bQ4Q3oOlFN8Aks/edit?usp=sharing

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

The worst sin I have ever committed was uncovering a 1-2-3 on a card, thinking "Aha, excellent, the big money.", and then clicking another column. I was very tired.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Mordiceius posted:

What I was trying to say is - if something is miserable, just don't do it?

Like, there are numerous different ways to get from 46-50. If your choice is to grind DD/AV, even though you hate it, you're only inflicting that pain on yourself and complaining about your self-inflicted pain is just stupid.

After daily roulette, there are two, both of which are equally miserable in their own way.

DD/AV chain runs, or Palace of the Dead. Odds are a sprout won't have their squad leveled at all to do DD/AV that way.

lol if you suggest fates or beast tribe dailies.

To the OP. You just have to put your head down and bust through that level range no matter how experienced you are. It's notoriously famous for being awful ever since 2.0. Those two dungeons in particular will show bad play faster than any that I can think of early game. If you're playing with friends, its still pretty fast to group queue for AV and clear the first room, leave and go back in to clear first room again. Boring as piss but the mobs are good exp and there's a lot of it. If you can clear fast, go for a full clear and when you get to the pods that hatch into the little marlboros. Let all of them hatch and burn them for big gains. If I remember right, it takes 5 runs doing this. It's been a while. But it is 100% worth it and correct thinking to want that level range behind you every single time you level a job and stopping to smell the roses is absolutely the wrong way to approach them.

Alternatively you can do Palace of the Dead over and over but it's a different kind of pain. It's mind numbing and almost zero threat to you at any time. Takes like 10 runs or so of 51-60. Throw someting on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime and chip away at it.

This poo poo is old, but it can give you an idea for next time so you can decide which route you wanna go.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CG0xtc_p4o3XzLQxK0A6tXz1koZF11JKN4yCLEGjrFo/edit#gid=216549100

Givin fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 17, 2019

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Givin posted:

After daily roulette, there are two, both of which are equally miserable in their own way.

DD/AV chain runs, or Palace of the Dead. Odds are a sprout won't have their squad leveled at all to do DD/AV that way.

lol if you suggest fates or beast tribe dailies.

To the OP. You just have to put your head down and bust through that level range no matter how experienced you are. It's notoriously famous for being awful ever since 2.0. Those two dungeons in particular will show bad play faster than any that I can think of early game. If you're playing with friends, its still pretty fast to group queue for AV and clear the first room, leave and go back in to clear first room again. Boring as piss but the mobs are good exp and there's a lot of it. If you can clear fast, go for a full clear and when you get to the pods that hatch into the little marlboros. Let all of them hatch and burn them for big gains. If I remember right, it takes 5 runs doing this. It's been a while. But it is 100% worth it and correct thinking to want that level range behind you every single time you level a job and stopping to smell the roses is absolutely the wrong way to approach them.

Alternatively you can do Palace of the Dead over and over but it's a different kind of pain. It's mind numbing and almost zero threat to you at any time. Takes like 10 runs or so of 51-60.

This poo poo is old, but it can give you an idea for next time so you can decide which route you wanna go.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CG0xtc_p4o3XzLQxK0A6tXz1koZF11JKN4yCLEGjrFo/edit#gid=216549100

fates and dailies are fine as supplemental exp. with fates though aim to clear the challenge log entries instead of doing them for their own sake, that's where the payoff is.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just do North Thanalan FATE grinding instead :v:

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

orcane posted:

Just do North Thanalan FATE grinding instead :v:

Man I remember those trains. I'd say good times, but that would be a lie.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Dark Devices is up

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Did they nerf the silly first room runs of DD? THOSE were boring, but they got you up there pretty quickly.

At least it's not N Than.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Bobfly posted:

Did they nerf the silly first room runs of DD? THOSE were boring, but they got you up there pretty quickly.

At least it's not N Than.

They did. They ended up changing all dungeons so that the bulk of dungeon exp is now tied up in bosses instead of monsters specifically to stop first room DD blitzing

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
It's been a couple of years, so remind me what they did with tomestones at the start of SB. The HW shire stuff went over to Poetics, I remember, but was it both old stones that could be exchanged for Poes or just the uncapped one?

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I'm not 100%, but I seem to remember it was both, but at different rates.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Bobfly posted:

This is accurate. The weekly capped tomes have a better exchange rate.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Bremma posted:

Man I remember those trains. I'd say good times, but that would be a lie.

For the two or three weeks before HW launch, I watched leverage on one monitor and did the fate train on the other to get every class to 50. Still not sure it was worth it, but leverage is a very good show.

Bobfly posted:

Correct, but if you want to buy stuff that sells for genesis or mendacity that will become poetics gear, it’s still worth buying it with genesis and mendacity before the patch. The conversion rates are pretty bad.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

They did. They ended up changing all dungeons so that the bulk of dungeon exp is now tied up in bosses instead of monsters specifically to stop first room DD blitzing

I forgot about that change and yet still found it faster than pugging during that level range.

It really is that terrible.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Wolpertinger posted:

Yeah, I just assumed it'd be something only done enough to get anything as significant as a 'night theme' past the end of the story - not something people coulda ripped from the small amount of game demos we've seen.
during the media tour live letter the zone music changed over at the regular 'night time' eorzean time, they were in lakeland and it was playing that posted night theme

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

idk if it'd warrant being added to the checklist but if you're like me and had a page+ of fishing bait and lures from ARR because well maybe someday I'll keep big fishing you can now officially toss those out since they're getting consolidated in the expansion.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

For a quick minute, I saw "if you're Fantasia-ing to Viera or Hrothgar, take off your clothes" and thought I was reading a vastly different guide.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Vitamean posted:

idk if it'd warrant being added to the checklist but if you're like me and had a page+ of fishing bait and lures from ARR because well maybe someday I'll keep big fishing you can now officially toss those out since they're getting consolidated in the expansion.

Oh my God, this is the best QoL improvement I've heard yet. Between this and the elimination of mainstat materia, I'm going to free up almost an entire retainer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This doesn't seem to be public? It said I was unauthorized

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Nipponophile posted:

Oh my God, this is the best QoL improvement I've heard yet. Between this and the elimination of mainstat materia, I'm going to free up almost an entire retainer.

I'm interested to see how they handle it. It might potentially make it difficult to choose which fish to fish.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

So for 5.1 we have New Game+, Blue Mage content, and the Ishgard Restoration project in addition to what normally comes in x.1 patches. That seems like quite a bit, here's hoping nothing gets pushed back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

let's be real

some of it will get pushed back

e: at the very least they might drop BLU updates the week after the initial patch like they did with its launch