Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

that twitter account is almost certainly run by a man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

mind the walrus posted:

Your sources are spurious at best. One is a loving Psychology Today article with no link to an actual study beyond an abstract, and I doubt you have a subscription lying around.
Are you talking about this one? https://www.pnas.org/content/111/2/823

mind the walrus posted:

The second is an undated Brazillian study which used neural networks to simulate models of neurological activity based on a presumed autistic model... I don't think I need to say why a layman would be skeptical about that, especially when using that as a primary source.

Are you implying a layman should be suspicious because it's Brazilian? But that study was more to show how the local-global connectivity theory is accepted. Here's one of its references that lays it out also: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22018722

mind the walrus posted:

The third is another abstract which itself acknowledges that it is a preliminary study for further research, although the conclusions listed in the abstract do support your claims (roughly). You have a wiki article shoved in there, half of which is criticizing the very psychology you purport to be true.
It's not "half" criticizing the theory. It does have a criticism section, which is healthy for this kind of wiki article and should be expected to be significant since it involves political implications. The most well-supported criticisms are that the dimensions included in the definitions of systemising and empathising are probably imprecise because not all of them scale to the same degree in the tests; and that not enough research has been done yet. Although taken together it's definitely not enough to show the theory has no merit imo.

mind the walrus posted:

Your fourth study is again, a Pop Science blog that links to the actual study, which seems to be where you got most of your information.

But even then the Pop article is quick to dispel the very assertions you originally made. Let's refresh:

(bold emphasis mine)

The context of your words points to cultural masculinity, not neurological masculinity. Regardless of everything else, this is why I called you out. It sounded like some :biotruths: horseshit.

and now the article:

Maybe that is what you mean, but that isn't what you said.

Yep. That's true. When I wrote the first post I was referring to cultural masculinity in one paragraph and neurological masculinity in the other (without any clear indication of such) and overall just being sloppy and doing free association. Just brainstorming and hypothesizing and the autism one doesn't hold up very well when I think about it more

mind the walrus posted:

And rapidly changing. As uderstanding of what autism is as a syndrome-- e.g: a cluster of related symptoms in varying degrees of presentation-- has progressed it has become noted that unless women happen to conform to more stereotypically male cultural behaviors associated with autism they're far less likely to be diagnosed. As a male who presents more like the ladies in this video and wasn't diagnosed until adulthood, this is why I take umbrage with your assertions. It's a dangerous spread of misinformation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwEH9Ui4HV8

That's a good video. But the problem there seems to be more with how the extreme male brain theory is presented and how loaded words are. "Extreme male brain" brings up all kinds of associations with things besides cognitive style. To a layman it sounds like it's related to male stereotypes like physical aggression but it doesn't have anything to do with those. Even something more technical like "extremely masculine neurology" still has that problem. Language is tricky

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

okay no you're a fuckman, get lost

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
there is nothing i love reading more than someone dissecting someone elses quotes line by line it is totally not visual teflon to me

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

cumshitter posted:

there is nothing i love reading more than someone dissecting someone elses quotes line by line it is totally not visual teflon to me

does teflon help the cum wash off

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
is "lastname" a common term outside of like databases or is this a fetish jargon thing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it's like deadnaming only revered

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Alan Smithee posted:

does teflon help the cum wash off

cum should be allowed to dry on the skin so that one can absorb the natural male milk minerals. i proudly wear my dried cumstains into the office like the armor of an ashy alligator

brb going to copyright both of those alliterations for my new line of totally not gay male skin care products that are packaged in banana magazine clips

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

cumshitter posted:

cum should be allowed to dry on the skin so that one can absorb the natural male milk minerals. i proudly wear my dried cumstains into the office like the armor of an ashy alligator

brb going to copyright both of those alliterations for my new line of totally not gay male skin care products that are packaged in banana magazine clips

all skincare is cum

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

is "lastname" a common term outside of like databases or is this a fetish jargon thing.

the patriarchy's legacy must be carried on somehow

the spanish have the right idea with their naming customs

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Lastgirl posted:

the patriarchy's legacy must be carried on somehow

the spanish have the right idea with their naming customs
I mean, "lastname" instead of "last name" looks weird, and normally I'd assume a typo but these people are into some deeply hosed poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

when you want to make a thing out of a thing and another thing you smash em into a compound thing

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i like aggretsuko's new season and how it made the imbecile gossipy hippo lady a paragon of motherly love

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Anyone wants my lastname
Im dont want to have kids but still want to honor the ancestors

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

german immigrants changing their name from Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff to Smith

and the chan nazis seem to forget that despite their worship of the huns

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Paid to post, living the dream*.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

cumshitter posted:

i like aggretsuko's new season and how it made the imbecile gossipy hippo lady a paragon of motherly love

yeah I wasn’t expecting it to stan for western tradwifery all of a sudden but I guess that’s japan for you

otoh if you watch the English audio and the Japanese subs at the same time you get subtitles like “that is society’s bottleneck, i am working to change it” while the audio says “LATE STAGE CAPITALISM IS TO BLAME, IT HAS TO GO”

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

whose loving rereg is this, it's been killing me for days

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

henry krinkle getting boosted by yasha levine is cool and good

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

CheeseSpawn posted:

Another approach is to say by not providing and paying her workers healthcare, she is externalizing her costs to the public. Just when the uninsured people go to the hospital, that cost is passed to the ones with insurance by the hospital charging more to the provider. Just Walmart use cheap labor to externalize welfare etc to the state. Then go into the spiel of we need single payer, then push aside the stupid "how do we pay for it rhetoric."

Yes, this is also a big part of it. When that salon owner talks about "employing more people" her thought process is mostly focused on "how do I get more people under me to take money from?". One thing about hair salons, barbers, and stylists that a lot of people don't know is that most of them are run not as a normal business but as a pseudo-contractor scheme. They're not actually independent contractors most of the time (which would let this owner off the hook for benefits), because then the stylists could just jump around from place to place as they wanted. Some places do it this way though. The stylists "rent" the chair space from the business owner, rent tools, etc. Not all of them do it this way, but most that I've gone to have been run this way. My aunt and grandma run a cosmetology school and navigating this common employment structure is one of the things they teach their students about.

So it really speaks to a greater societal need for businesses to pull their weight if they seek to expand their market control. Imagine if this person wasn't just running 5 salons with 46-48 employees but 500, 5000, etc. The more people under them without access to healthcare benefits (and they certainly aren't paid enough to afford their own) the worse off a larger segment of our population will be. As long as the healthcare situation in our country is still predicated on your job providing you healthcare we will need to mandate what the minimum business size we will tolerate shirking that obligation.

Basically: Hearken back to the days of company towns and find the parallels. We can't keep letting business owners act like deadbeat parents who think the only thing they need to do in business is take their workers labor for the bare minimum they can get away with.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

cumshitter posted:

didn't she get arrested for espionage at the end of the first season or am I misremembering

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheDailyEdge/status/1140388496705765376

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Crain posted:

Yes, this is also a big part of it. When that salon owner talks about "employing more people" her thought process is mostly focused on "how do I get more people under me to take money from?". One thing about hair salons, barbers, and stylists that a lot of people don't know is that most of them are run not as a normal business but as a pseudo-contractor scheme. They're not actually independent contractors most of the time (which would let this owner off the hook for benefits), because then the stylists could just jump around from place to place as they wanted. Some places do it this way though. The stylists "rent" the chair space from the business owner, rent tools, etc. Not all of them do it this way, but most that I've gone to have been run this way. My aunt and grandma run a cosmetology school and navigating this common employment structure is one of the things they teach their students about.

So it really speaks to a greater societal need for businesses to pull their weight if they seek to expand their market control. Imagine if this person wasn't just running 5 salons with 46-48 employees but 500, 5000, etc. The more people under them without access to healthcare benefits (and they certainly aren't paid enough to afford their own) the worse off a larger segment of our population will be. As long as the healthcare situation in our country is still predicated on your job providing you healthcare we will need to mandate what the minimum business size we will tolerate shirking that obligation.

Basically: Hearken back to the days of company towns and find the parallels. We can't keep letting business owners act like deadbeat parents who think the only thing they need to do in business is take their workers labor for the bare minimum they can get away with.

This would be a hell of a talking point. The presumption under capitalism is that either your business is growing or it's dying; so owners are of course trying to grow, it's just what you do. But there is a price to pay for growth, because you're growing your power and your effect on your environment/market; you need to buy that power.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

mind the walrus posted:

Then again at least I'm not this chick.

no way is that account run by an actual woman

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Jose posted:

henry krinkle getting boosted by yasha levine is cool and good

:yeah:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

no way is that account run by an actual woman
shades of

Isabella Rossellini and that weird bug sex video

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

weird how these people are all hiding terrible crimes

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

weird how these people are all hiding terrible crimes

“If women don’t have rights, I can’t be charged with a crime” is a galaxy-brain take on the matter.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/kylekashuv/status/1140605133346283521?s=21
:owned:

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/dril/status/873264183281889281

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lol

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Ultimate Doge posted:

Well humans aren't computers so IQ also correlates with other stuff besides processing power like self-control, and consequently with likelihood to end up in jail

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Men have differently shaped bones than women and people who are considered attractive have differently shaped bones from people who're considered ugly. 4chan types exaggerate it but it's not baseless

"Extreme male brain"

man i hate this doge

I am glad this person experienced a setback and I hope he finds as much success in life as Candace Owens.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/KyleKashuv/status/1140605199414943744

lmao

he got too desperate and then pulled the veil implicating them both

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

wasn't this kid was suspiciously absent from school the day of the shooting

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost
/\/\ nah, he was there

I love the fact that he thought saying "I'm sorry i said the n-word dozens of times" and a single form letter response from the office of diversity was going to be his ticket back in.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

His only gimmick was saying “well ackshually guns good” after a shooting spree he was in proximity to. A shame he fell from such a high peg

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Has Kyle considered learning to code? :smug:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

He needs to update his profile I guess

Silly Hyena
May 2, 2014
wheres all the threads usual 'give them opportunity to grow' poo poo this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu