Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

tombom posted:

The ones I find most infuriating are the infirm/incapable ones. They don't even have the pretence of a story your guy just gets "infirm" at 50 randomly.

Yeah this happened to Erik Bloodaxe at age 50 or so when I was playing as him. He lived to be about about 65 still, but I could no longer count on him as a master dueler from that point on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

tombom posted:

The ones I find most infuriating are the infirm/incapable ones. They don't even have the pretence of a story your guy just gets "infirm" at 50 randomly.

For me personally those traits are more understandable because at least there's a concrete cause within the game narrative. Like, sometimes old people are feeble, I get that.

What really bothers me though are the events that are literally just "I don't feel like being diligent anymore" or "I decided kindness is bad", which trigger only because the game has decided your character has too many traits and needs to lose some of them. I don't remember the exact number point where personality traits get soft capped (I think it's eight?) but once you cross that threshold then they start getting arbitrarily removed until you're below the number.

I mod out those events but I wish I could do without them on Ironman too

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Somehow, the Umayyads in my current game (playing from the new start date) turned into a peasant's republic centered on Cordoba. They control Iberia and Morocco and are now pushing into France.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 16, 2019

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Successful single-county conquest wars give MA too iirc.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

So the new start date has a merchant republic vassal of the Ummayyads. If they manage to get a claim and take over the empire, and switch back to the tradition imperial capital in Cordoba, they no longer have a capital on the coast, and thus cease being a merchant republic, and then become a regular republic.

This still is the case, and it's real dumb. There should simply be a rule that merchant republics should never be able to change their capital to a province without a port, ever.

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Somehow, the Umayyads in my current game (playing from the new start date) turned into a peasant's republic centered on Cordoba. They control Iberia and Morocco and are now pushing into France.

I'm the HRE exiled to North Africa

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Wait you can get abortions ??

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Palemdromes posted:

Wait you can get abortions ??

if you have a difficult pregnancy, you can get a choice to say something like "this child is not worth my life" and abort the pregnancy

the thing is, if you are caught doing this, it's seriously like -50 general opinion for 10 years or something like that, it's one of the single most unpopular things you can do.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Baconomics posted:

I'm the HRE exiled to North Africa

Not exiled, sorry. I'm on the vassal view for the HRE.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What are some interesting Iron Century Count starts?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Charles-Constantine of Vienne, in Arles, is the son of a deposed King of Italy and Byzantine princess and has a strong claim. Good for a Catholic romp in 936.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What are some interesting Iron Century Count starts?

Norse count in Brittany
Basque count of Bearn and Dax
Eric Bloodaxe in Orkney(jar)
One of the Armenian counts has a bloodline that goes all the way back to Parthian Persia

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tombom posted:

Funny enough, this is what just happened to me... my character and his wife both got it. The infuriating part is that the penalties alone aren't enough to slow him down; his stats are still better than everyone else in the empire, only now he's forced to have a regent.

Coolguye posted:

if you have a difficult pregnancy, you can get a choice to say something like "this child is not worth my life" and abort the pregnancy

the thing is, if you are caught doing this, it's seriously like -50 general opinion for 10 years or something like that, it's one of the single most unpopular things you can do.

It's 100 years. Yep. It's loving bad.

aphid_licker posted:

Man you could write most of a pretty decent fantasy novel around those plot points. Love this game.

Her son had a pretty good run too. After being crowned Emperor, he had to put down a rebellion that was trying to establish gavelkind in the empire. At the same time, the Pope called a crusade, and started getting pissy with him for not Deus Vulting fast enough because of said rebellion. He put down the rebellion and pretty much singlehandedly won the crusade. Using the payout, he built up his holdings in and around Prag, including constructing a level 4 hospital with all the addons.

Everything changed when the Aztecs invaded... is what I would say if they didn't just get dumpstered. They showed up and immediately blew their event troops taking a swipe at the Holy Roman Empire, which Kaiser Berthold 'the Lionheart' took advantage of to launch a Grand Conquest of France and steal it out from BOTH of their noses. A few decades of back and forth, and the Aztecs and the HRE are both neutered enough that they won't be threatening Bohemia any time soon.

Currently, a grand palace is under construction in Prag, and the armies are away in Hispania to honor a request from a friend to support their rebellion. Berthold and his wife are in their mid sixties, and both have incapable. Despite this, Berthold's skills are still higher than his regent's. A few years prior, he set up his succession so that his smart grandson would inherit the throne instead of his borderline incompetent daughter. So all that is left is to wait out death/push the suicide button again.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 17, 2019

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Palemdromes posted:

One of the Armenian counts has a bloodline that goes all the way back to Parthian Persia

Well I know what my next campaign is. Bring Parthia back, convert to Zoroastrianism and and revive the age old friendly rivalry with the Eastern Roman Empire.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

What the gently caress game? First it's infirm, then incapable, and since that STILL hasn't killed me, motherfucking rabies?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Coolguye posted:

Is this tied to some trait? I had some difficult pregnancies, but I never saw this option.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Since when has this been a thing ??

e: apparently it was added in Iron Century, and I guess there's barely anyone talking about it online because to get it you have to manually choose a startdate where Henry is likely to die without any legitimate male heirs.

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 17, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dwesa posted:

Is this tied to some trait? I had some difficult pregnancies, but I never saw this option.

It's a random event. I don't know if it was tied to something specific about my ruler or not. Could be tied to Hermetics or high learning, since the prompt is to drink some kind of potion.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Thrasophius posted:

Well I know what my next campaign is. Bring Parthia back, convert to Zoroastrianism and and revive the age old friendly rivalry with the Eastern Roman Empire.

There's another bloodline that is quite literally the Sassanid dynasty in tabarestan.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I got my copy of the Crusader Kings board game in, and played my first game of it over the weekend. Here's my thoughts:

Overall, I like the game. It does a good job of capturing the dynastic and intriguing feel of CK2
In particular, the marriage game is fun. You have to weigh marrying for traits against marrying for claims on neutral territory against marrying to seal pacts with other players

However, there are a few nits to pick. Overall, the game's a solid B+ for me, but there are a number of factors that carried it down from being an A

Only being able to control 8 territories means there's little pressure to war. Once you're big, the only benefit from attacking another player is to deny them points. You get nothing out of it directly
Events either target yourself or the player to your left. Childbirth is all by events, and almost never from self-targeting events. This means that it can be very easy to screw over another player by just not playing childbirth events for them when possible.
It is really easy to build up provinces and make them nearly impossible to conquer, especially if you got a few bad traits. Duke+Castle+Raised Levies+Plate Mail invention means it's a difficulty 5 to invade it, in a game where difficulty 3 can easily be prohibitively difficult.
Achievements get unlocked super fast and are just a race rather than being really interactive. Building 3 castles is expensive, but easy to do once you have the 9 gold (2 tax cards gets you there easily). 4 developments can literally be done in the first action of the game for people who start with 6+ gold (france and italy in the default startdate).

These problems aren't enough to make the game bad, and I completely recommend it for anyone who is a fan of board games and CK2, but they're still things that could be improved in an expansion

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Average Bear posted:

There's another bloodline that is quite literally the Sassanid dynasty in tabarestan.

Well that's who I'm playing then and I will name every one of my heirs Khosrow. Hopefully some of them will be amazing militarists.

BBJoey posted:

Since when has this been a thing ??

e: apparently it was added in Iron Century, and I guess there's barely anyone talking about it online because to get it you have to manually choose a startdate where Henry is likely to die without any legitimate male heirs.

Anyone know any other events like this that happen on specific dates?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Thrasophius posted:

Anyone know any other events like this that happen on specific dates?

There are very, very few. There’s obviously the Charlemagne and Otto events for their respective start date. There are two other Iron Century events. An event makes Igor’s wife, Saint Olga, pregnant if they’re both still alive around 10 years after start date (the timer starts counting after taking the decision to convert to Russian/Slavic). I believe the Fatimids get an event to invade Egypt. Other than that, the only ones that come to mind are spawning conquerors: Seljuk, Sabuktigin, Genghis and Timur.

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009
If anybody is interested in trying something new, set the demense and vassal limit to half in the game rules. I've done a couple of starts this way and it definitely gives a different feel to the whole game.

This somewhat tips the balance between the liege and their vassals. You end up having fewer stronger vassals who are more likely to screw up your day if you don't keep them happy while also holding less land yourself. This definitely ups the internal court intrigues and makes for an interesting balancing act - trying to pander to my vassal kings and superdukes, lest I end up getting a massive revolt compared to a normal game where I'd just have a hundred no-name counts with no real power to speak of.

My only gripe is that it makes stewardship even more of a must-have attribute once you get big enough, since going from 4 to 5 demense size is a much bigger relative boost compared to going from 9 to 10 and now you also need to have twice as much stewardship.

Thinking about trying a start with demense and vassal limit set to a quarter now, though something tells me that this will lead to some really funky AI revolts.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of stories the game writes, I won the loving Chinese bride jackpot in my last game.

I was rolling as Kievan Rus in the Iron Century. Became proper Russian, proper Slavic pagan. Went through a few generations. My dude's first wife dies of a bad bout of pneumonia. They had a decent kid, so I decided to send off to China for a wife. I was near enough that the expansionist China could have been a problem, so the peace treaty was nice.

And in walks this loving perfect wife. A decisive genius. Positive traits across the board, not lustful, double digits in every goddamn stat. She immediately falls in love with my ruler. They have several kids and live a long, happy life together. And then the wife dies of cancer.

My ruler gets a letter from China. A line the game explicitly mentions says something like "The world was a better place with her in it" or "The world is a worse place without her." My ruler became depressed and within the month, maybe within two weeks even, died "of depression." The genius daughter named after her mom and who looked like her mom inherited the throne.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Warmachine posted:

What the gently caress game? First it's infirm, then incapable, and since that STILL hasn't killed me, motherfucking rabies?

Isn't rabies always "you were murdered by the satanists"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azhais posted:

Isn't rabies always "you were murdered by the satanists"

isn't that cancer

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I never play with Satanists, but I’ve definitely had a handful of family members die of rabies

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Satanists give you a random disease with "Dark Touch." You could get a bad tummy ache. You could also get Black Plague.

No, I'm pretty sure this was just my game desperate to kill off that character, using increasingly ludicrous contrivances.

I think he actually died excommunicated because the Pope decided that, after excommunicating him and accepting his repentance, would excommunicate him again a month later. Which, BTW Paradox, you should probably put a cooldown on that. His son was excommunicated, recommunicated when he joined the crusade, and then excommunicated during the crusade. :confused:

I finally paid off the Pope and used my Crusader Loot Pinata to keep said Pope (and also the Emperor's brother) happy for now.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Holy poo poo, didn't know you could get a parrot by losing half of your extremities

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Looks like you need to bring Jesus to Britain.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Holy poo poo, didn't know you could get a parrot by losing half of your extremities

Oh, like a pirate. Not bad.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Looks like you need to bring Jesus to Britain.

I already brought Better Jesus to Britain so idk

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

BBJoey posted:

There are very, very few. There’s obviously the Charlemagne and Otto events for their respective start date. There are two other Iron Century events. An event makes Igor’s wife, Saint Olga, pregnant if they’re both still alive around 10 years after start date (the timer starts counting after taking the decision to convert to Russian/Slavic). I believe the Fatimids get an event to invade Egypt. Other than that, the only ones that come to mind are spawning conquerors: Seljuk, Sabuktigin, Genghis and Timur.

To be honest I didn't even know events like that were in the game. I always just go to the early start and run from there. I've missed so much. Do they have a big impact on gameplay?

This is why I love this game. Played it for so many years and still find events I've never come across.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Wife has the "Very Probably A Secret Society Member" status... suddenly gets pregnant... spies can't find anything suspect...

This kid is getting smothered with a pillow. :tinfoil:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Warmachine posted:

Wife has the "Very Probably A Secret Society Member" status... suddenly gets pregnant... spies can't find anything suspect...

This kid is getting smothered with a pillow. :tinfoil:

I think you'll find that it's everyone else who gets smothered.

Also, playing as the demon child is fun, so make sure to legitimize whatever pops out, even if it has hooves.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

binge crotching posted:

Also, playing as the demon child is fun, so make sure to legitimize whatever pops out, even especially if it has hooves.

FTFY

But yeah, I'm jealous you've got the chance to play as the devil's spawn, Warmachine! I've never had that event fire, despite 550-600hrs played. :( I've had immortality once, but that's it - no other super-rare events that I'm aware of.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

FTFY

But yeah, I'm jealous you've got the chance to play as the devil's spawn, Warmachine! I've never had that event fire, despite 550-600hrs played. :( I've had immortality once, but that's it - no other super-rare events that I'm aware of.

Join Lucifer's Own. If you can get the top rank, you can create one on-demand. I already had my Devil Child pop this game. Had enough of the cleft hoof life for one dynasty.

As it turns out, it wasn't the devil child anyway. Still debating how best to eliminate my primary her so the one behind him with genius will take the throne. Pope doesn't like me enough to let me excommunicate.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thrasophius posted:

To be honest I didn't even know events like that were in the game. I always just go to the early start and run from there. I've missed so much. Do they have a big impact on gameplay?

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. The big conqueror events depend a lot on where they target to make their claim, since that determines how many event troops they get. It's entirely possible for them to target some lone duchy somewhere, take it over, and then get immediately swallowed by a neighbour.

You can see a list of all the various "famous conqueror shows up to do their historical conquest" events here: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Hordes

Warmachine posted:

Join Lucifer's Own. If you can get the top rank, you can create one on-demand. I already had my Devil Child pop this game. Had enough of the cleft hoof life for one dynasty.

As it turns out, it wasn't the devil child anyway. Still debating how best to eliminate my primary her so the one behind him with genius will take the throne. Pope doesn't like me enough to let me excommunicate.

Sometimes it's worth it just to take the tyranny penalty to throw them in prison and order them to take the vows.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. The big conqueror events depend a lot on where they target to make their claim, since that determines how many event troops they get. It's entirely possible for them to target some lone duchy somewhere, take it over, and then get immediately swallowed by a neighbour.

You can see a list of all the various "famous conqueror shows up to do their historical conquest" events here: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Hordes

Sometimes it's worth it just to take the tyranny penalty to throw them in prison and order them to take the vows.

Now that I did not know. That explains my old Persian game. Revived the Persian empire, everything from Anatolia to Egypt to the borders of India, mongols spawn with like 120k troops and kept getting reinforcements. It was a pain in the rear end trying to win that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Now you are a Catharrrr!