Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If I end up only picking up one Criterion in July(we'll see how it goes), it's definitely gonna be an Altman, I'm just not 100% decided on it yet. I have McCabe & Mrs. Miller and it's one of my most watched Criterions, but I've never seen any of the others that are in the collection. Last time this came up people itt recommended Nashville so I think that's probably gonna be the choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

If I end up only picking up one Criterion in July(we'll see how it goes), it's definitely gonna be an Altman, I'm just not 100% decided on it yet. I have McCabe & Mrs. Miller and it's one of my most watched Criterions, but I've never seen any of the others that are in the collection. Last time this came up people itt recommended Nashville so I think that's probably gonna be the choice.

Nashville's a good choice, because it's very rewatchable. It's technically a musical, so there's that, but the cast of characters is so varied that you pick up more on rewatches. Plus, the special features, I assume, would be awesome.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Nashville's a good choice, because it's very rewatchable. It's technically a musical, so there's that, but the cast of characters is so varied that you pick up more on rewatches. Plus, the special features, I assume, would be awesome.

My CineD experiences from the past several years have really softened me on musicals and showed me there is a certain type that I really do enjoy. By all accounts Nashville seems like that kind of musical.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

My CineD experiences from the past several years have really softened me on musicals and showed me there is a certain type that I really do enjoy. By all accounts Nashville seems like that kind of musical.

Yeah, Nasheville is less musical theater, and moreso "This is what the musical scene of Nasheville was during the bi-centennial". It's like watching a documentary of the music scene at the time, except all the bands are fake and the songs are original. Like a more-sincere A Mighty Wind. It's a really interesting approach, because the songs and musical performances are just as important as any dialogue, because you as the viewer are stepping into this musical world.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Nashville is a pretty mean satire, which is why it's so evergreen - even the ending is a harsh condemnation of what music can "do" and how people get their breaks (by singing a rousing anthem after a woman with brain damage gets shot to death). Short Cuts is similar, and is just as good! Get both and do a double feature.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Short Cuts has a bit less appeal for me than Nashville just on it's face, I guess because I love how Altman kinda takes you into these worlds that you've never seen before and you feel like you're immersed in them. The world of Short Cuts appears at first glance to be fairly mundane compared to, for instance, McCabe & Mrs. Miller or Gosford Park but I'm sure it's still extremely good. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
He does a tremendous job of bringing the world of Ray Carver to life. Nashville is deeply felt, but it has a zanier vibe, while Short Cuts retains Carver's melancholy, and the characters are richer (it almost feels like Cassavetes). It's a harder sell, but it edges out Nashville for me - Nashville's scathing satire is grabby, but Short Cuts is so finely textured.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

The main Criterion one not mentioned yet is I guess The Player which rules. I also want to recommend Secret Honor which is a TV movie Altman made but you'd never really know that. It's 80 minutes of JUST Nixon talking and it's incredible. Should be on the Criterion Channel.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Also, if you’re like me and watching one Altman movie leads to watching five more Altman movies, “HEALTH” is on YouTube. It’s not his best film, but I like it a lot - much like A Wedding, he moves into firmly comedic territory (both featuring Carol Burnett!), while maintaining the crushing nihilism he and the rest of the new American school of filmmaking were so fond of. It has lots of dancing vegetables.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has Detour on sale for $18.

Also, it's been confirmed July B&N sale starts June 30th.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon has Detour on sale for $18.

Also, it's been confirmed July B&N sale starts June 30th.

Hell yeah to both. Detour is out of stock, but it's a great price for the blu so I ordered it anyway.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched the first Killers. It was alright. Good story but kinda dull in places. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who thought so since they included the soft reboot on the disc. Hopefully that'll punch it up a bit

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The soft reboot Killers from the 60s really does punch it up. There's car crashes, car explosions, the 40s babe has been swapped for a 60s babe, the insurance salesman is gone, and they decided to do it in color this time. All big improvements.

It's really weird to see Ronald Reagan in a movie. Like, that dude goes on to do some hosed up poo poo. Letting AIDS kill tens of thousands of people, sending guns to Nicaraguan rape and murder squads, sending guns to Osama Bin Laden, Reagan is directly responsible for so many deaths. It's like seeing Woody Allen or Louis CK in a movie, only times a thousand. It's like a picture of John Wayne Gacy as a clown.

Movie was alright though.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
We do however get that great scene of John Cassavetes punching Ronald Reagan.

Small victories.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Goddamn, that shot of the guy getting out of the car, and you can only see him from the waist down, and he's holding a gun, and there's blood running out one pant leg and after a beat some blood starts to drop from above screen, that's fantastic. Every revenge movie needs to just straight up rip that off. It's such an amazing way to visually get across just the concept of revenge, it should be public domain. Every movie that even has a scene about revenge should use.

Was there some kind of agreement between Hollywood and the auto industry in the 60s, that if you wanted to include a race car on screen in your movie you were also contractually obligated to include at least 10 minutes of race footage?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Not sure. All I know is that the hero drives a Mustang and the villains drive Chargers

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So is there like a good way to see a list of all the movies that are on the Criterion Channel, because MAN this browsing is not great. At least with Filmstruck you could browse by genre or decade or whatever.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://films.criterionchannel.com

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Maxwell Lord posted:

So is there like a good way to see a list of all the movies that are on the Criterion Channel, because MAN this browsing is not great. At least with Filmstruck you could browse by genre or decade or whatever.

Not super great, but I find this letterboxd list helpful: https://letterboxd.com/natethecyborg/list/every-film-available-on-the-criterion-channel/

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Looks like Night of the Living Dead is down to $18US on Amazon right now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

L'eclisse is very boring. But I guess that's inevitable when you make a movie about ennui, the most garbage tier emotion

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

It’s the hardest to watch of the three, imo. I love La Notte, though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

at the end when it's just a bunch of shots of stuff and people around the intersection with the uneasy music and the guy gets off the bus with a newspaper and the camera focuses in for a long time on the "NUCLEAR RACE HEATS UP" headline I wondered if they were gonna have it end with the city getting nuked. But they didn't I guess it was just part of the horror of modernity or whatever.

Also, the blackface scene.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1140717848618328067

The cover for Polyester is so loving good.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Every single one of those is a stone-cold classic.

Gripweed posted:

at the end when it's just a bunch of shots of stuff and people around the intersection with the uneasy music and the guy gets off the bus with a newspaper and the camera focuses in for a long time on the "NUCLEAR RACE HEATS UP" headline I wondered if they were gonna have it end with the city getting nuked. But they didn't I guess it was just part of the horror of modernity or whatever.

Not so much modernity as absence. The sad part of the final images is what's missing in them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I've not seen The Cloud-Capped Star but it sounds incredible.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Gripweed posted:

L'eclisse is very boring. But I guess that's inevitable when you make a movie about ennui, the most garbage tier emotion
sex pestering is far inferior staple of the arthouse

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

smallmouth posted:

It’s the hardest to watch of the three, imo. I love La Notte, though.

Yea for me La Notte was the best of the trilogy because it still had all the usual Antonioni stuff but also a more compelling story than the other two.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Coaaab posted:

sex pestering is far inferior staple of the arthouse

I don't know if that's an emotion. Hornyness is an emotion though, and there are fantastic movies about hornyness

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Does the channel not get every movie?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Gripweed posted:

I don't know if that's an emotion. Hornyness is an emotion though, and there are fantastic movies about hornyness
some weenie guy pleading for sex from someone more attractive, intelligent, and socially well-adjusted is absolutely an emotion

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Coaaab posted:

some weenie guy pleading for sex from someone more attractive, intelligent, and socially well-adjusted is absolutely an emotion

that's a mood

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
to-may-to, to-mah-to

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Coaaab posted:

this post is doing said thing to this thread

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
not really?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

So glad to finally see The Circus get a release, though I was hoping they'd include the original 1928 version as an extra.

I wasn't that interested in Polyester, but holy poo poo is that an amazing cover.

beergod posted:

Does the channel not get every movie?

C'Channel has nearly anything Janus Films has theatrical rights to, plus stuff on loan or semi-permanent from other studios. So far, they have Universal, MGM, Sony, Paramount, and Warner in terms of major studios. Kino Lorber, Flicker Alley, Shout! Factory, Film Movement, Milestone, and StudioCanal are also working with them.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

As long as Polyester includes a snatch and sniff card, all's gonna be right with the world.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you bet your rear end it does

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Egbert Souse posted:

So glad to finally see The Circus get a release, though I was hoping they'd include the original 1928 version as an extra.

I think that's an issue with Chaplin's estate, I remember seeing something a few years ago about how they want Chaplin's re-edits from the 70s in circulation over the original versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Coaaab posted:

Many filmmakers live lives of horny desperation