Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
What’s the maximum number achievable for the “humans rescued” tally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I got the achievement for 5 escapes in one run. I sill have the story objectives for the Volunteer, the Janitor, and Yu to complete.

El_Elegante posted:

What’s the maximum number achievable for the “humans rescued” tally?

Something like 18, I think? The trickiest part is probably Crew Quarters, you need to stun/mindjack the mind-controlled people in the fitness center before any of them walk into the random flame jets and die. Second tricky spot is the Gates of Hell, but just place 5 turrets instead of 3 and that should do.

You also need good luck and to not have the Nightmare spawn in the Cargo Bay safe zone, as it will wipe out a bunch of people and there's nothing much you can do about that.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 12, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If you have high-level combat focus you can wipe the Cargo Bay standoff before anyone else has even fired a shot

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Decided to start a new run on Xbox and I can’t find Lorenzo’s goddamn thermos. I think it must’ve physicsd itself through a wall. :(

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I got the achievement for 5 escapes in one run. I sill have the story objectives for the Volunteer, the Janitor, and Yu to complete.

Something like 18, I think? The trickiest part is probably Crew Quarters, you need to stun/mindjack the mind-controlled people in the fitness center before any of them walk into the random flame jets and die. Second tricky spot is the Gates of Hell, but just place 5 turrets instead of 3 and that should do.

You also need good luck and to not have the Nightmare spawn in the Cargo Bay safe zone, as it will wipe out a bunch of people and there's nothing much you can do about that.

Yeah, I got 18. It just threw me for a loop because that number isn’t easy to find on the internet, but the possible ceiling for humans killed is much higher.

I really loved this game. I guess if I want to see more immersive sims I should start buying them on release. Deus Ex:HR and Prey both deserve narrative follow ups, but I doubt we will get them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Does choosing to blow up the station set "humans saved" to zero

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
It's not particularly difficult to focus your resources on corruption meter reduction items, which in turn trivializes just about everything.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
All right, I finished Mooncrash. It seems like there isn't any way to continue after the story is completed. No arcade mode or even a way to start with all the characters unlocked after beating the game once. Looks like the best I can hope for is to deliberately not complete a character's story objective (which is at least easy to do).

I also would have liked if the characters story objectives were possible to do on subsequent runs, as those add a bit of interest. It kinda sucks only being able to do those once, ever.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I like what Mooncrash did and I get that it was meant to be a once-through thing where the randomization and unlocks were meant as a framing device for the hacker getting deeper into the sim (and learning about the stashed key so he can save himself when they burn him), but yeah I would have really liked a challenge mode of some sort.

edit: That said it was one of my favourite releases of 2018; if you want something that gives the same feel of frantically searching for stuff against the clock and getting that "oh gently caress what is it now" feeling when you open a door or turn a corner and see some unexpected obstacle, give Void Bastards a look

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 13, 2019

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Zereth posted:

Does choosing to blow up the station set "humans saved" to zero

Well, there are the two humans in the escape pod that you can let free, so you should be able to save at least those if you blow up the station.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Mooncrash seems very much like a test bed for Arkane's new IP Deathloop:

quote:

“DEATHLOOP transports players to the lawless island of Blackreef in an eternal struggle between two extraordinary assassins. Explore stunning environments and meticulously designed levels in an immersive gameplay experience that lets you approach every situation any way you like. Hunt down targets all over the island in an effort to put an end to the cycle once and for all, and remember, if at first you don’t succeed… die, die again.”

Not much info available on it yet, just this little press release but it sounds like an immersive sim roguelike where two assassins are stuck in a time loop trying to kill each other to escape, completing objectives as they go. Assuming it has a little persistent progression between runs that sounds fairly Mooncrash-esque.

E: here's a trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXv5IDp8y74

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 13, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Deathloop: Ecks vs. Sever

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I am down for the 'thloop

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Dark Messiah ruled, Dishonored 1 & 2 ruled, Prey ruled, the track record is very good. In short,

Hwurmp posted:

I am down for the 'thloop

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

All right, I finished Mooncrash. It seems like there isn't any way to continue after the story is completed. No arcade mode or even a way to start with all the characters unlocked after beating the game once. Looks like the best I can hope for is to deliberately not complete a character's story objective (which is at least easy to do).

I also would have liked if the characters story objectives were possible to do on subsequent runs, as those add a bit of interest. It kinda sucks only being able to do those once, ever.
A page or three back I posted a media fire link to as “barebones” a save I could make. All characters unlocked, minimal chips / powers / schematics unlocked.

E:

Basic Chunnel posted:

Merry Christmas, here’s an alleged “bare state plus” Mooncrash save. So named because there were two more plans I accidentally picked up (skeletal repair kit and basic stun gun) and because on paper, it should have reached the final level of sim difficulty (faster threat rising, etc) but the lack of oxygen / addition of crater sandstorms doesn’t seem to be there on level 1. All personal missions unlocked, Vijay and Riley’s missions completed (the mandatory and simplest hurdles to progression, respectively).

I don’t know if I borked the save or if the overall difficulty of the sim tracks more than just how many objectives you’ve completed. But I hope you can make it to max difficulty with as close to a bare save as possible.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 13, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Is there an achievement for researching every enemy? Is there a particular place to scan the apex typhon?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You cannot scan the Apex. Attempting to do so just shreds your psi and does not unlock any lore, powers, or achievements.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Mzbundifund posted:

You cannot scan the Apex. Attempting to do so just shreds your psi and does not unlock any lore, powers, or achievements.

Yes you can. At least the tendrils that is.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I just finished the main game for the first time, and I'm really surprised that this thread never spoilered me on anything that happens after Alex Yu gives you his arming key.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

you can scan the tendrils, and it gives you a report on them, and you can scan the apex from specific locations (need to be able to see its "nose" or "belly"), but it doesn't give a report and sets your health to 1.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh woa, I scanned the tendrils but what's this about scanning it's main body, where can you do that from? It's been while btw.

I think inadvertently cut down on my own personal lategame experience by doing a bunch of stuff such as dicking about with the Satellite long before the story calls for it, so I was excluded from running around a lot in the extreme lategame. The final's baddies' tendrils where super scary in the Conservatory but the pressure seemed to quickly die off, my bad.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Serephina posted:

Oh woa, I scanned the tendrils but what's this about scanning it's main body, where can you do that from? It's been while btw.

I was able to do it right where it shows up, next to Alex's safe room.

IIRC, you do have to get a bit closer before it'll register on the scope, as if somehow the gigantic fuckoff Typhon radiating so much psi energy it can fry your brain from just looking at it respected the same restrictions as your run-of-the-mill mimic. :thunk:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
It's been a while but you may have to scan the main body through a breach in the hull. But, like everyone has said, it doesn't give you anything but leaves you at 1 health and 0 psi.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I literally just died instantly when starting a new sim run in Mooncrash. "No reason for death provided". 10,000 credits spent and I died before even loading in. Luckily I just backed up my saves (I just unlocked all the story objectives except for Bhatia's), but that death was idiotic. Mooncrash is also an apt name as this thing has crashed on me a few times.

EDIT: Is there any such thing as a Psychostatic Cutter plan, or can you only find those mid-mission? EDIT 2: Never mind, just found the Elite cutter schematic.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 17, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You can randomly find psychostatic cutter schematics, yeah. I think they follow the same price scheme as a pistol

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
just lol at starting a character in Mooncrash and purchasing anything more than a jetpack

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Mike the TV posted:

just lol at starting a character in Mooncrash and purchasing anything more than a jetpack

Not sure how only purchasing a Jetpack would have have solved the "you die before spawning in" glitch. Besides, playing the same way all the time is boring.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I literally just died instantly when starting a new sim run in Mooncrash. "No reason for death provided". 10,000 credits spent and I died before even loading in. Luckily I just backed up my saves (I just unlocked all the story objectives except for Bhatia's), but that death was idiotic. Mooncrash is also an apt name as this thing has crashed on me a few times.

EDIT: Is there any such thing as a Psychostatic Cutter plan, or can you only find those mid-mission? EDIT 2: Never mind, just found the Elite cutter schematic.

You can cheese any death in mooncrash. If you die and you don't like it, alt f4. Your game is only saved at checkpoints and the start of runs. You can save scum easy.

Not sure how only purchasing a Jetpack would have have solved the "you die before spawning in" glitch. Besides, playing the same way all the time is boring.

Hes saying only getting the jetpack and nothing else.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I just confirmed that the Moon Shark will happily chase foam bolts. This could come in handy in a pinch, and it's cheaper than Typhon Lures.

Tenzarin posted:

You can cheese any death in mooncrash. If you die and you don't like it, alt f4. Your game is only saved at checkpoints and the start of runs. You can save scum easy.

I noticed the checkpoint saving thing in a run where my game crashed after I had died and switched characters. I said I restored my game, I was just sharing a strange thing which happened to me.

quote:

Hes saying only getting the jetpack and nothing else.

Yeah, I largely play that way. I rarely use my mule at all. If another character wants stuff, they have to go find one of the stashes I've left around. One of Joan's jobs is to repair extra weapons I find lying around. (I can buy a lot of cheap Silenced Pistols and scrap them for parts.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 17, 2019

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

drat Stabbey I'm sorry you had such a rough time with the game's stability. Like I'm shocked at all the problems you ran into after my smooth experience with the game.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BattleMaster posted:

drat Stabbey I'm sorry you had such a rough time with the game's stability. Like I'm shocked at all the problems you ran into after my smooth experience with the game.
cryengine games seem to be up there with bethengine games wrt "inexplicable problems you are very hard pressed to reproduce, even with identical specs and hardware"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Cryengine is waaaaaay more stable than the Void engine used to make Dishonored 2

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Basic Chunnel posted:

A page or three back I posted a media fire link to as “barebones” a save I could make. All characters unlocked, minimal chips / powers / schematics unlocked.

I got around to trying that, and starting out with nothing really changes it up a lot. Interesting.

BattleMaster posted:

It's not crashing every time, but I don't remember Prey crashing more than once or twice.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I got around to trying that, and starting out with nothing really changes it up a lot. Interesting.

You can also try the Ricky Jay Memorial Mooncrash Method I made up, its back there a ways

E:

quote:

Anyway, I've developed a system.

Chunnel's Marvelous Mooncrash Method

The object of this Method is to generate self-imposed tactical restrictions in Prey's roguelite expansion, Mooncrash.

The way it works: You take a deck of cards, shuffle it and draw until you break 21. Once you've broken 21, look at your assembled hand. Impose the restrictions of the numbers you drew PLUS the suits you drew. If you have multiples, use the next restriction down. Or don't, nobody's keeping score. Whether you use the restrictions for each character or draw a new hand with each death is on you.

Suits:
Clubs- Cannot use the mule operator.
Spades- Cannot build delay objects
Diamonds- Cannot build neuromods
Hearts- Must use delay objects immediately upon acquiring them.

Cards:
Ace- Subsistence Mode (basic equipment only at start)
2- Can only jump-mount gloo (if you can land straight on a surface, that's fine)
3- Must use trauma healing objects immediately upon acquiring them (in other words, if you get hurt, build the thing or start looking)
4- Cannot use chips.
5- Can only use stungun / EMP to pass barriers
6- Can only use control modules to restore primary power (does not apply to Director's mission)
7- Moon Sharks are sacred to you and you cannot harm them.
8- Can only use ordinary (white) weapons.
9- Can only use guns against flying typhon out of melee range (applies to cystoid and tentacle nests).
10- Must use medkits and hypos immediately on acquring them.
Jack- Cannot drop anything (can only use, consume or recycle to free inventory space)
Queen- Can only carry one stack of ammo (or 300x of battery / cell) and 2 of any grenade
King- Cannot use direct harm mind powers or bullet time (*jack / summoning / defensive powers ok)

If you draw an ace and a face card, reset the simulation.

Been trying to think of a replacement for 2 for awhile. “Can’t use jetpack” would work if it didn’t run counter to the instinctual movement of the game.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 18, 2019

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Can only use found jumppacks?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

That might work, actually

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Can only use found jumppacks?

The first body is guaranteed to have one, so that's a distinction without a difference unless the Mule is disabled. If it is disabled then the first character in each run gets one anyways.

Perhaps "can only use found jetpacks + can't put the jetpack in the mule" so it's meaningful even if you didn't draw clubs?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Afaik you can’t store jetpacks, it’s just an on/off toggle and picking one up switches it to on. You can end up screwing your future characters if you don’t have the schematic and just hoover up everything in every container, you’re bound to waste a jetpack or two.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Man... Prey is such a loving good game. I really enjoyed getting high as hell and playing through it. Feels like the most "complete" immersive sim in that there's no fast travel, no hubs, everything makes sense. The games systems are so tight it enables some really out of the box solutions.

Anyway the fact that it sold poorly is an indictment on humanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Basic Chunnel posted:

You can also try the Ricky Jay Memorial Mooncrash Method I made up, its back there a ways

<snip>

Been trying to think of a replacement for 2 for awhile. “Can’t use jetpack” would work if it didn’t run counter to the instinctual movement of the game.

I also like "only use found jetpacks"

Number 9 is no good. I'm not going to play "wrench all the Typhon to death". That also totally fucks over Bhatia. I'd change that to "no reloading when your weapon still has ammo in the chamber". I don't care if your Q-Beam is at 3%, you still need to discharge it all before you can get a fresh battery.

I'd also replace number 6 with "Can only move Control Modules from one powered slot to another, cannot pick up or craft them." If you want power on in a section of base, you need to swap the modules with ones from another section or carry some modules from a tram station back to the central tower if you want all three sections on.

Then I would swap numbers 6 and 9, and numbers 4 and 10. Higher numbers should have tougher conditions than lower numbers.

For "If you have multiples, use the next restriction down. Or don't, nobody's keeping score," I might also suggest "discard duplicates and continue to draw until reaching 21."

So...

quote:

Suits:
Clubs- Cannot use the mule operator.
Spades- Cannot build delay objects
Diamonds- Cannot build neuromods
Hearts- Must use delay objects immediately upon acquiring them.

Cards:
Ace- Subsistence Mode (basic equipment only at start)
2- Can only use found jetpacks (Bhatia excepted)
3- Must use trauma healing objects immediately upon acquiring them (in other words, if you get hurt, build the thing or start looking)
4- Must use medkits and hypos immediately on acquring them.
5- Can only use stungun / EMP to pass barriers
6- Cannot reload until the magazine/battery is empty.
7- Moon Sharks are sacred to you and you cannot harm them.
8- Can only use ordinary (white) weapons.
9- Can only move control modules from one filled slot to another. Can't craft, pick them up, or use muled ones. (Does not apply to Director's mission).
10- Cannot use chips.
Jack- Cannot drop anything (can only use, consume or recycle to free inventory space)
Queen- Can only carry one stack of ammo (or 300x of battery / cell) and 2 of any grenade
King- Cannot use direct harm mind powers or bullet time (*jack / summoning / defensive powers ok)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 18, 2019