Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Pretty sure it was shortly after her face melted off - he offered her to fix it, and she took his offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

That makes sense... in a way it makes Lesley's character really chilling, since it means that in nearly every scene she's in past the introduction she was acting as a double agent on Mr. Punch's or the faceless man's behalf. It also fixes my biggest complaint: I felt that her face-heel turn wasn't particularly well set up, since after Face/Off she pretty consistently came off as too upbeat and optimistic to realistically consider flipping until the instant she zapped Peter. If that whole routine was her explicitly working to deceive peter and nightingale the betrayal works a lot better.

I still thought it was kinda disappointing though-competent cop/magic cop was a great team-up for the first half of the series.

Not at all related, but holy cow Rook is a fun story.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Decius posted:

Pretty sure it was shortly after her face melted off - he offered her to fix it, and she took his offer.

re: leslie in Peter Grant: two points (chronologically):

1st question, when was she sequestered

2nd question, when was she subverted

My guess is, very early in the first book for the first -- that's why Peter wonders if it all would've been different if they'd switched jobs that first night, if he would've been sequestered instead of her.

For the second, it's more open.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Decius posted:

No, he offered to kill Mr. Punch. Fixing the face was secondary. Either way, the motivation to betray was post-Punch.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Avalerion posted:

Not weird and supernatural enough, imo. Though hopefully they are just saving the good stuff?

The trailer is really light on anything supernatural and what’s there is very mild outside of a few shots. It’s either completely rewritten or all the weird poo poo is being saved for the show to be revealed as Myfanwy discovers it.

My guess is completely rewritten though because (casting spoilers):

1. Van Syoc is credited with 5 episodes.

2. No credits for Lord Henry, Alrich, Eckhart, or Gubbins.

3. Paula Patton has been cast as a lead villain (no idea who)? Female grafted lead? Head of the other academy?

4. Producers have said they are spending much more time on who Myfanwy was and who she is now. And refocusing it on female leads and playing up the supporting female roles (Farrier, etc.)

The first season is probably going to be a mix of the main plot through Van Syoc’s capture and then the missing kids stuff. Van Syoc will probably be the only grafter we see. Everything else is probably season two (if that).

I have no expectations that it will be good. It looks like they picked up most of the world, a few characters, and a really rough plot outline and filled the rest in. It’s just not the Rook without all out weird bollocks all the time.

Edit: They also completely reset the show last year after Stephanie Meyer left. They had the first two episodes in filming when she left and the show runner took over as EP. So who the gently caress knows what shape the script and characters are in.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 10, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
There's a new October Daye out. I haven't read it yet, but it was at the library. Just a PSA.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That may have been more of a "new at the library"

Book 12 was released Sep 2018. Book 13 is not due out until Sep 2019.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Lawlicaust posted:

My guess is completely rewritten though because (casting spoilers):

1. Van Syoc is credited with 5 episodes.

2. No credits for Lord Henry, Alrich, Eckhart, or Gubbins.

3. Paula Patton has been cast as a lead villain (no idea who)? Female grafted lead? Head of the other academy?

4. Producers have said they are spending much more time on who Myfanwy was and who she is now. And refocusing it on female leads and playing up the supporting female roles (Farrier, etc.)

The first season is probably going to be a mix of the main plot through Van Syoc’s capture and then the missing kids stuff. Van Syoc will probably be the only grafter we see. Everything else is probably season two (if that).

I have no expectations that it will be good. It looks like they picked up most of the world, a few characters, and a really rough plot outline and filled the rest in. It’s just not the Rook without all out weird bollocks all the time.

...drat, that sounds kind of bad. I mean, point 4 is decent, but re 2; Maybe the other male Checquy members just haven't been revealed yet? I had hopes but if they're really skipping over all the guys then Grafter plot isn't even going to get started. I guess /maybe/ they can do half the book in season 1 and the other half in season 2? Seems kind of unnecessary though.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Wahad posted:

...drat, that sounds kind of bad. I mean, point 4 is decent, but re 2; Maybe the other male Checquy members just haven't been revealed yet? I had hopes but if they're really skipping over all the guys then Grafter plot isn't even going to get started. I guess /maybe/ they can do half the book in season 1 and the other half in season 2? Seems kind of unnecessary though.

Yeah, making it a strong female lead show sounds great but it looks like it comes at the expense of all the male characters except Grantchester and Gestalt. Or maybe Season One is less than half the book?

Not having the other characters and Ferrier clearly being good is going to make for a weird reveal. Who betrayed me? Every other main character!

It could still be good but it definitely seems like it leans more towards Dresden Files TV Show than American Gods or Good Omens.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 11, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Proteus Jones posted:

That may have been more of a "new at the library"

Book 12 was released Sep 2018. Book 13 is not due out until Sep 2019.

Whoops! I'm terrible at keeping up with these things, sorry.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
https://twitter.com/longshotauthor/status/1140685538648715264

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

:yayclod:

Now I just need to reread from book 1 because I don't remember anything.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
:golfclap:

Beachcomber posted:

Agreed, but I think you can safely skip book 1 and 2.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah, time to start a reread starting with book 3.

Also, YAY!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Beachcomber posted:

There's a small boy named Harry, who is also a wizard; events ensue

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Remember: The building was on fire, and it wasn't his fault.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
BURGER KING AND COKE

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

loving FINALLY, JIM.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
A chitinous sussurus of good people that Harry has known since they were in a training bra, Hells Bells and Empty Night.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, maybe I *should* do a full re-read

biracial bear for uncut posted:

A chitinous sussurus of good people that Harry has known since they were in a training bra, Hells Bells and Empty Night.

hmm, on the other hand, maybe...maybe i'll just reread the last couple

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fortunately instead of a re-read I can just figure out which book I stalled out on and pick back up from there.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Is it actually necessary to read a whole other series of books to get the Daniel Faust stuff? I've only just heard of the Revanche Cycle from here.

And I enjoyed most of the Harmony Black books I read. Should I just start skipping them if they have no point?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I read Faust first, then Wisdom's Grave, then The Revanche Cycle and haven't touched the Harmony Black series since her character didn't really interest me too much, and I didn't feel lost at any point. I think The Revanche Cycle might help you to understand the relationship between many of the characters better in Wisdom's Grave but it's all well enough explained anyway.

Somewhere in this thread there was a recommended read order if you want all the overlap to happen in the proper order.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 18, 2019

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

So, what, six months or so until it's actually out? I assume final editing still needs to be done, plus printing and all the other stuff involved in publishing a book.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

seaborgium posted:

So, what, six months or so until it's actually out? I assume final editing still needs to be done, plus printing and all the other stuff involved in publishing a book.

Charles Stross wrote a blog post about how long it takes for a manuscript to be turned into a book. The TL,DR was:

quote:

And this is why, in a nutshell, my novels take somewhere between 6 and 18 months to appear after I deliver the finished manuscript.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Drakhoran posted:

Charles Stross wrote a blog post about how long it takes for a manuscript to be turned into a book. The TL,DR was:

It can take a lot less time for a big name author. Robert Jordan's books typically had a one month turnaround.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Oh boy time to start my Dresden reread. Just in time for summer.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It can take a lot less time for a big name author. Robert Jordan's books typically had a one month turnaround.

One month is easy when you forgo editing.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
And/or are married to your editor

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

One month is easy when you forgo editing.

Or indeed writing multiple books instead of just coming up with different titles for the same one.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Right now I feel more obligated to read the next Dresden than any excitment. The original material in Brief Cases and the singularly awful late-era, Molly heavy short story wanks make me worry that Butcher completely jumped the rails during his hiatus. Not to mention the YA cash grab that wasn't Cinder Spires. I don't even write this to dump on it. I used to enjoy the Dresden books.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I'm pumped for the next Dresden Files. The Christmas Short Story was awesome.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Right now I feel more obligated to read the next Dresden than any excitment. The original material in Brief Cases and the singularly awful late-era, Molly heavy short story wanks make me worry that Butcher completely jumped the rails during his hiatus. Not to mention the YA cash grab that wasn't Cinder Spires. I don't even write this to dump on it. I used to enjoy the Dresden books.

I'll read it. I'm curious. I suspect the series effectively jumped the shark with Changes -- which was great, but effectively a series finale.

The more interesting issue is that in the years of Butcher's hiatus other authors have filled the gap with more "advanced," professionally written urban fantasy. Rivers of London makes Butcher look amateurish; hell, even Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series manages to intelligently avoid Butcher's power creep issues and write consistently engaging combat sequences.

About the only thing Butcher really has setting himself apart from the pack these days is thank god he's set in Chicago not London.

I could see the next book being good -- Butcher *can* write well when the spirit moves him -- I just think he might have lost his mojo.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm cautiously optimistic, I'll put it like that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I just re-read Cinder Spires and I still like it. :colbert:

Butcher, for all is failings, is a very energetic writer. His books are fast, rollicking rides. They're not especially good at anything else, and often fall apart under critical analysis.

The Verus and Rivers of London books are both far better-written, absolutely. They avoid many of Dresden's pitfalls, sure. I expect they'll come to a more satisfying conclusion than Dresden, because why wouldn't they? It's not like Butcher is half as good at plotting as those guys.

But god drat if I don't have more fun reading the average Dresden novel. Ear-to-ear grins as this stupid goony fuckup of a wizard does whatever dumbass thing he's doing. Even when he fucks up it's "nooo don't do that you idiooootttttt" and wondering just how the hell he's going to get out of it, this time.

Out of all of Rivers and all of Verus, I think only the book of Verus vs the idiot kid adepts was Dresden-level in terms of "I enjoyed reading this."

So even when I'm agreeing with you guys that Dresden has its issues--and it totally does--I really don't care, in the end. They're fun. They're dumb. He's the Michael Bay of urban fantasy.

And I'm okay with that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I also take issue with the idea Rivers is better plotted. It has stronger prose and pretty good character work, but the mechanics of everything are a huge mess after roughly the second book.

The non-stop intro of new huge magical societies that were apparently just off screen the entire time is really offputting. Especially since Nightengale is constantly swinging between 'yes WW2 killed magic' and 'I've managed relationships with all this weird magic poo poo across the entire island by myself for 70 years'

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I put in the hold request with the library for the ebook. Not buying butchers stuff in advance anymore.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

OscarDiggs posted:

Is it actually necessary to read a whole other series of books to get the Daniel Faust stuff? I've only just heard of the Revanche Cycle from here.

And I enjoyed most of the Harmony Black books I read. Should I just start skipping them if they have no point?

Yeah I just finished a run of all the Harmony Black and Revanche Cycle books (since I liked Ghosts of Gotham). They're available all on Kindle unlimited so it's a good deal.

Harmony Black - Starts off as uptight magic FBI cop lady, by the book 4 she's turned into freaking Rambo and it's Agents of Shield basically
Revanche Cycle - Assassin's Creed 2 and everyone's a murderous crazy person

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

OscarDiggs posted:

All of Schaefer's stuff is connected (with the alleged exception of Ghosts of Gotham), but in a texture-layering way (there has to be a better way to word that) more than a "you have to read X to understand Y" way. Each series stands totally alone, but you get more nuance and understanding if you read everything. For example, some characters show up in the second book of the Wisdom's Grave series and if that's all you've read, the book tells you who they are and everything you need to know. If you've read the Revanche Cycle, you already know them, and it's a lot more meaningful.

The faust series is basically the core/mainline books, and they came first, so they're the least dependent on anything else. I think the only mandatory books (and for Faust, only if you read up to the current series endpoint) are the Wisdom's Grave trilogy because the next Faust and Harmony installments are going to pick up in the aftermath after poo poo's hosed up and at least one ongoing character is dead (and also because Wisdom's Grave is insane and fun and also insane). And even then I'll be amazed if both don't open with a "and here's what happened" recap so you don't have to if you don't want to. Schaefer's said a few times that the next Faust opens at a funeral for a person who dies at the end of WG, which sounds like a summary in the making.

Also, unrelated UF blatherings to avoid a double post:

Good Omens is infinitely better than I thought/feared it was going to be when an adaptation was announced. It's the best adaptation of Good Omens I could have thought possible. Sometimes an adaptation just feels like everyone involved really, genuinely cared about getting it right, and this is one of those times.

Stoked that Butcher is done, even though my Dresden love has faded a lot over the years. Of course I'm still going to buy it when it comes out and read it on day one. I mostly just hope this means he's gotten into a better place, life-wise, after all the poo poo he's been through that stalled his career out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

StonecutterJoe posted:

Good Omens is infinitely better than I thought/feared it was going to be when an adaptation was announced. It's the best adaptation of Good Omens I could have thought possible. Sometimes an adaptation just feels like everyone involved really, genuinely cared about getting it right, and this is one of those times.

I somehow missed good omens being made into TV entirely and was astounded when an ad for it appeared in front of me on a bus. Tennant and Sheen are great and seem to be genuinely enjoying the roles. It has a bit of a BBC low budget sci-fi feel but owns it in a way i'm not entirely sure it wasn't on purpose. Jack Whitehall annoys me in everything he's in but is at least tolerable.

Show loving rocks, watch it.