Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kheldarn posted:

Alternately, if you're playing on GBA, you can either get the patch that unlocks all jobs from the start, or use a code to unlock all jobs.

What is this patch called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

mp5 posted:

Also those jobs are mostly weird and bad except for Gladiator

Cannoneer is incredible though?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

mp5 posted:

What's your water job?

Time mage. I've not played this game before so I'm not sure what one of those is, but I'll figure it out I'm sure.

I'm taking a few moments to cool my nerves before picking the game up again because that elephant brought me to the line.

OzFactor posted:

I hope for your sake that you stole some Mythril Knives from the Wyverns in the Tower. It's not too bad with one of them. But yeah, most classes should be just having one dude hit Garula and the rest hang out in the back and heal with potions.

When I first tried the elephant I was at level 9 with daggers, and it went as well as you could expect. By the time I completed the elephant everyone was level 14, wielding mithril knives from the wyverns, and I even farmed a few hi potions from the headstones at the North mountain.

I don't know what silver glasses do but there's plenty for everyone.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

mp5 posted:

Cannoneer is an amazing offensive chemist.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Guess I need to job fair one this year. It really didn't seem to do anything special, and became available too late in the (unmodified) game to get much use out of.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

mp5 posted:

Guess I need to job fair one this year. It really didn't seem to do anything special, and became available too late in the (unmodified) game to get much use out of.

Cannoneer is nuts check the infoposts on the discord. It's almost a free triple crown (omega still can fight back but you can inflict slow on them)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Butt-related incentives are not in the budget this year, but I'll still do my part.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Time mage. I've not played this game before so I'm not sure what one of those is, but I'll figure it out I'm sure.

I'm taking a few moments to cool my nerves before picking the game up again because that elephant brought me to the line.

When I first tried the elephant I was at level 9 with daggers, and it went as well as you could expect. By the time I completed the elephant everyone was level 14, wielding mithril knives from the wyverns, and I even farmed a few hi potions from the headstones at the North mountain.

I don't know what silver glasses do but there's plenty for everyone.

Time Mages are great. You'll eventually have access to Haste, Slow, Stop, Float (avoids damage floors in dungeons and avoids Earth damage spells in battle), Return (resets the current battle to the start, which can help you farm rare steals or turn a losing fight around), Teleport (congratulations on never having to walk out of a dungeon again after picking this baby up), and the ability to hurl rocks from space at your enemies with Comet and eventually Meteor.

Also, they can equip rods, which means you can smash Fire Rods, Ice Rods and Lighting Rods in-battle to cast Firaga, Blizzaga or Thundaga on whatever you're currently fighting, which can utterly decimate a lot of encounters throughout the game (though it's fairly expensive to do, given the price of rods).

Silver glasses are an accessory that prevents Blind status.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mystic Knight, Red Mage, and now Black Mage. This run's looking pretty magic-heavy, and I get to remember which status effects hit bosses.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Darkoni posted:

Party is Mime, Berserker, knight, and Geomancer. So uh.. that Brave blade geomancer toxx is going to get at least one hit.

Hell yes keep me posted

My team of Geo/Zerk/Bard/Chemist is shaping up to be weird and fun.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

W.T. Fits posted:

Time Mages are great. You'll eventually have access to Haste, Slow, Stop, Float (avoids damage floors in dungeons and avoids Earth damage spells in battle), Return (resets the current battle to the start, which can help you farm rare steals or turn a losing fight around), Teleport (congratulations on never having to walk out of a dungeon again after picking this baby up), and the ability to hurl rocks from space at your enemies with Comet and eventually Meteor.

Also, they can equip rods, which means you can smash Fire Rods, Ice Rods and Lighting Rods in-battle to cast Firaga, Blizzaga or Thundaga on whatever you're currently fighting, which can utterly decimate a lot of encounters throughout the game (though it's fairly expensive to do, given the price of rods).

Silver glasses are an accessory that prevents Blind status.

Since it's a jrpg and easy todo, don't ignore slow, most bosses (and enemies) are vulnerable and combined with haste you have an absurd advantage in the action economy.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Got THF/RDM/BST/CHM crew for my first run. I never used them much before, so this should be interesting.

Bit of a rough start, but grinding Dark Matter is an absolute joke. Looking forward to finally trying out :science: for myself.

Am I correct in assuming that this is basically a free triple crown? How exactly does !Calm works?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

1234567890num posted:

Got THF/RDM/BST/CHM crew for my first run. I never used them much before, so this should be interesting.

Bit of a rough start, but grinding Dark Matter is an absolute joke. Looking forward to finally trying out :science: for myself.

Am I correct in assuming that this is basically a free triple crown? How exactly does !Calm works?

Calm inflicts Stop. It's supposed to only do it on beasts, but due to a bug in GBA affects everything that isn't beasts, including Omega since he's a robot. It wears off quickly but with three of your party members spamming the command you'll keep the guy locked down and then all you need to do is be able to hurt the guy.

wodenspoon
May 2, 2018

This will be my first time trying Calm strats on Omega--so if I go three Calm users, I should be able to punch through with Thundaga Chicken Knife Jumps, I guess. I did Bard Lockdown last year and I assume this times out similarly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I pre-registered but Gilgabot has yet to tell me what my wind class is...

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Check your info on the fiesta page. Gilga won't tweet at you with your wind job anymore, nor does #wind do anything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alxprit posted:

Check your info on the fiesta page. Gilga won't tweet at you with your wind job anymore, nor does #wind do anything.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

agradine posted:

Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

There's one for the pile.

E: Bonus Shinryu kill.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 17, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Arist posted:

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Ah, so I see who inhereted my Dragoon curse.

Edit: yes I'm aware those are all hella good teams (none of which were job faired), but any sort of variance would have been nice.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 17, 2019

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Man, Berserker x2 / Dragoon x2 is rough. At least you have a lot of HP.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My problem is more, "oh gently caress, I get to fight Sandworm with four Berserkers... for the third time"

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Arist posted:

My problem is more, "oh gently caress, I get to fight Sandworm with four Berserkers... for the third time"

Yea that 2x Dragoon/Zerker run had its jobs unlocked immediately. I'm not wasting my time with a zerk only world 1.

Also that run is why I no longer Risk or normal chaos.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 17, 2019

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Arist posted:

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

I warned you about Chaos runs, bro. I told you, dog.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/1140721089397612544

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I will never understand why you'd do chaos or pure chaos without either the fiesta patch or some sort of code to unlock all jobs at the start.

Freelancer runs are never fun.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I love having Freelancer for a crystal or two. It's so satisfying to stunlock Garula with the whip and then chop him to bits with the Ashura.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Poque posted:

I love having Freelancer for a crystal or two. It's so satisfying to stunlock Garula with the whip and then chop him to bits with the Ashura.

This. Early Freelancer runs can be quite fun for a number of different reasons. Break rods! Use the Cure Staff! Make yourself immune to Garula's attacks!

No, what I don't get are the ZerkRiskers who decide quadzerking Sandworm is fun year in and year out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Red Mage is a Wind Crystal job! In FF3, but still!

Uh, Lenna...

oh no

https://i.imgur.com/fyYMJRP.gifv

LENNA NO

Red Mage/Dancer, huh... Kinda scared to see the rest of my team now.

Anyway, I reach Karnak and, uh...

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Give Lenna the poison!

~delicious~

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes

KataraniSword posted:

You'll be fine all through world 1 and "okay" for the first half of World 2.

Have fun with everything from Moore forward. :gibs:

A few tips: Barehanded on anyone you want to be doing melee attacking will pass on Monk Strength even if they have weapons on, which can be a godsend for Dancer. Alternately, HP +30% will let you survive Almagest a LOT earlier. Protect will save your life. Love it, cherish it. Red Mage can use staves so you might want to farm up a few Staves of Light from Metamorphs in Ghido's Cave to snap over W2 Exdeath's head. Don't be afraid to take on Fork Tower - while you might have survivability problems with Minotaur, it's worth it for access to the Wonder Wand, which will help you a bit in the endgame if you take the time to prep it.

Had no idea about that Barehanded quirk. Also about any of the other stuff.

So thanks! I figured that I'd need all the advice I could get and that mid W2 would be where poo poo would start to get bad.

So far I've gotten by with a lot of "Chakra + Counterattack" which worked wonderfully on Liquid Flame. Just let him make that fist and play "stop hitting yourself" with him. I really don't see that tactic scaling well at all for later in the game and so I should enjoy it while I can

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Huzzah! posted:

Give Lenna the poison!

~delicious~
"Oh poo poo you're right, it reads Auto-Potion, my bad"

Started with a Chaos run for a change, Fiesta mod and not the Mobile version, Samurais are a bit absurd eh

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

What is this patch called?

I was thinking that the Fiesta State Mod unlocked them, but it turns out that it only unlocks everything except Mime and the GBA Jobs. Sorry.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

mp5 posted:

... they're all pretty amazing, though?

Cannoneer can just slaughter basically the entire game with Open Fire, and by the time it can't, it gets the materials for Combine
Oracle is the strongest magic class in the game, gives ABP up, and Predict and Condemn are actually pretty good if you know how to use them
Necromancer is the closest you get to an exception, and that's only because the dark arts are all late game, but once you get them they're kind of nuts. Their spells are all stronger than Black Mage, come in more elements (Fire, Ice, Thunder, Wind, Poison, Non-element), and also deal ailments.

Hell, their wind spell is stronger than Syldra, and can be boosted same as syldra.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 17, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I also killed the facehugger looking guy.

The running theme seems to be having people on the backlines throwing support at the thieves actually fighting the boss. Only this time on top of a crapload of potions and phoenix down they're also throwing time magic.

I hope I didn't miss anything important in the castle. I got a mage slasher and whatever scroll was in the chest I tried to open but otherwise just blasted right through.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Azza Bamboo posted:

I hope I didn't miss anything important in the castle. I got a mage slasher and whatever scroll was in the chest I tried to open but otherwise just blasted right through.

I feel like a bunch of people who regularly post in this thread are going to cringe at this question from a party with Thieves, but nah, you'll be fine. I mean, if you have a save right before it, let us know and we'll tell you what to get, but if not, just keep going, no worries.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Edward_Tohr posted:

At least until you start drowning in all of the "Actually, if you give Faris the Main Gauche, she gets an extra M from the knife bug" posts. :v:

Speaking of, my Lua script is available for those who don't feel like keeping Excel open to calculate that sort of thing all the time. (Probably requires BizHawk version 2 or higher).

Hey this is really cool and useful! But you forgot to check for ninjas and !throw for showing magic m, since ninja scrolls use it for damage. I went ahead and added lines for those and they seem to work alright.

https://pastebin.com/Ed25V3rj

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

OzFactor posted:

I feel like a bunch of people who regularly post in this thread are going to cringe at this question from a party with Thieves, but nah, you'll be fine. I mean, if you have a save right before it, let us know and we'll tell you what to get, but if not, just keep going, no worries.

I do have the save in the pink zone right as the castle is counting down. I think what I'll do is leave it for now. Then, if by some miracle I haven't overwritten this save at the end of the run, I'll ask people about Karnak afterward.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

My first normal run job is Knight. Did anyone ever mirror that lost googledoc with all the cool FFV fiesta knowledge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Ramc posted:

My first normal run job is Knight. Did anyone ever mirror that lost googledoc with all the cool FFV fiesta knowledge?

Yep.