Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Funny enough I did that to a bass way before I had heard of Type O-Negative. It was so uncomfortable to play for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Siivola posted:

Some chain and two carabiners from a hardware store.
Barbed wire.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

SubG posted:

Barbed wire.

Chainsaw chain would be pretty metal and extremely uncomfortable. Or a really long sander belt - if you put it grain side down that bass ain't going anywhere.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I want a strap made out of human hair

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I want a Minotaur dick

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Manlove, we talked about this!

A Minotaur's severed penis is prohibitively expensive. :colbert:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Who said "severed" ?

:mrgw:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

Who said "severed" ?

You have to pay minotaurs a crazy amount per diem to take them on tour though. They're all union.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Spanish Manlove posted:

I want a Minotaur dick

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

Who said "severed" ?

Touché. :golfclap:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

you: chasing tone, studying theory, drilling new techniques

me: getting absolutely demolished by minotaur dick

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:perfect:

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

much like the fabled minotaur, Tone isn't real.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lol

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I am Otis posted:

much like the fabled minotaur, Tone isn't real.

How Can Tone Be Real If Our Ears Aren't Real

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

Please don’t spoil Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
anyone else get a chuckle out of reliced guitars made by companies that have only been producing instruments for a few years like friedman

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I've actually never understood all the hate for relic'd guitars.

Everybody loves to get up in arms about how that player didn't EARN THEM THAR SCRATCHES like it's some kind of dick waving contest about who has been playing a single instrument the longest, but to me... some things just look better beaten to poo poo. Your average Fender Strat or Telecaster looks pretty glorious with half the paint violently beaten away from it.

So yeah I totally understand why some companies relic their guitars. Because some guitars look better with a relic treatment than not. Simple.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

The Muppets On PCP posted:

anyone else get a chuckle out of reliced guitars made by companies that have only been producing instruments for a few years like friedman
Ola Strandberg once asked if anyone was going to relic one of his guitars, and I betcha he's disappointed that nobody took him up on it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

I've actually never understood all the hate for relic'd guitars.

Everybody loves to get up in arms about how that player didn't EARN THEM THAR SCRATCHES like it's some kind of dick waving contest about who has been playing a single instrument the longest, but to me... some things just look better beaten to poo poo. Your average Fender Strat or Telecaster looks pretty glorious with half the paint violently beaten away from it.

So yeah I totally understand why some companies relic their guitars. Because some guitars look better with a relic treatment than not. Simple.

i'm not arguing the merits of relicing because who cares i'm just noting the absurdity of doing it to an instrument which no physical copies of have been in existence long enough for that level of natural wear to be possible

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I have no problems with relic'ing either. It's the prices that often leave me confused.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah, I love the look of a relic'd (or actual vintage) guitar, but I'm never gonna spend the $3k it takes to buy one from the Custom Shop. If they started putting out Squier or MIM relics, I'd get one in a heartbeat, but it takes a surprising amount of skill and a lot of attention to detail to get it right. You can find tons of amateur relic jobs online and they mostly look bad bad instead of good bad.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i'm not arguing the merits of relicing because who cares i'm just noting the absurdity of doing it to an instrument which no physical copies of have been in existence long enough for that level of natural wear to be possible

Yeah I get that, I'm just saying that I think of relicing an instrument as "just another aesthetic choice" not unlike paint color. In that sense, it doesn't matter how long the guitar has actually been around. It's just a look. Doesn't matter if the company has only been around for a week, if the guitar looks better beaten up, then make it look beaten up.

Wark Say posted:

I have no problems with relic'ing either. It's the prices that often leave me confused.

Definitely this though. Relic guitars always seem to be marked up way higher than reasonable.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gonna pick up the tan/beige-looking one tomorrow, it's a super early one. Now I just need to hunt down a reasonably-priced (lol) Charvel Model 2/G&L Rampage to put it in. EMG 81, when you have to chainsaw accept no substitutions.

edit: please recommend other single-pickup 80s strat-likes that are reasonably-priced/cheap. The more 80s the better. Thanks.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 17, 2019

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Wark Say posted:

This, and the people claiming it makes the tone infinitely better.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

edit: please recommend other single-pickup 80s strat-likes that are reasonably-priced/cheap. The more 80s the better. Thanks.
You want a Kramer Baretta.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Death Panel Czar posted:

Ola Strandberg once asked if anyone was going to relic one of his guitars, and I betcha he's disappointed that nobody took him up on it.

Mmm yes, the elusive vintage headless multiscale 8 string.

For real though, I think a natural finish strandberg all relic'ed up could look neat, but probably closer to Rick Toone's stuff.

His guitars (Toone) look absurd, but I still want one :blush:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Slothful Bong posted:

Mmm yes, the elusive vintage headless multiscale 8 string.

For real though, I think a natural finish strandberg all relic'ed up could look neat, but probably closer to Rick Toone's stuff.

His guitars (Toone) look absurd, but I still want one :blush:

I always really liked the look of Fredrik Thordendal’s modern/minimalist 8 strings once they wore down a bit. Not as modern as a strandberg/toone but similar enough.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Siivola posted:

You want a Kramer Baretta.

Yea that is now a TOP contender wow.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'll continue to be that guy: Relic'ing a guitar is straight poser poo poo.

The people who do this want their instrument to look like it's been through a lifetime of use and has made a lot of music. They crave the credibility that such an instrument implies for them or whomever "owned it before."

It's stupid-rear end poser wanna-be loser poo poo and it always will be. It's not like buying "pre-distressed" furniture to fit your home decor, because home furniture buyers don't want a new end table to stick out against their Grandma's living room set.

It's the stupidest way to spend money on an instrument just to make it look like you've either done something real with the guitar or you bought it from someone else who did. In both cases, it's a fake history and it is 100% an attempt to give the guitar a backstory it simply does not have.

If an owner of one of these guitars just says, "Yeah I had it relic'ed because I think it looks good" then ok, fine; you're just bad at making decisions. Most of the time they want to give the impression the instrument spent years doing stuff when actually it spent hours being flagellated by a builder, having the metal corroded with acid fumes, and having the plastics aged with UV light or whatever they do. It's extremely stupid music poo poo.

Faustus be mad about relicing, I'll own it.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Caring about what is and is not poser poo poo is poser poo poo. Namaste.

Also the classic sunburst finish we all know and love was originally conceived as a way to mimic the aged French polish finish on worn classical instruments, so the concept is almost as old as the modern guitar itself.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lester Shy posted:

:yeah:

i fall squarely in the camp of "relicing can look pretty cool aesthetically but gently caress you if you expect me to pay extra for it"

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I agree with you, Fauster.

I get that Relic'ing is just like "worn" jeans, it's just a finish mimicking what something might look like naturally if you use it a lot. I really do. And I want to respect that some people are just a lot more vain than me. But it's not easy.

All my guitars (and jeans) look like they've been dragged behind a speeding car, because I use them all the time and they're just....things. I can buy new clothes. Instruments can take a beating, and if it gets too bad they can be fixed or have parts replaced.

The irony is people buying guitars (or ripped/worn designer clothes) and paying way more for something that looks like they have treated carelessly, but that costs so much they treat it like it was made of thin glass.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Lester Shy posted:

Not sure what your definition of "poser" is in this case. I played my instruments and they got all their scars legitimately, over decades of life. I thought the definition of poser behavior was not controversial but I'd rather defer to you now and end this instead of starting a derail. I don't agree at all, but I'd rather go to PMs to talk about it b/c maybe we're talking past one another and this thread doesn't need a lot more Faust-posting if you get my drift.

quote:

Also the classic sunburst finish we all know and love was originally conceived as a way to mimic the aged French polish finish on worn classical instruments, so the concept is almost as old as the modern guitar itself.
This is very interesting and cool, and I'd like to learn more about it; but I don't accept this as some "it's always been done this way" example because it doesn't involve the stupid-rear end techniques I described above and is a non-sequitur when it comes to the kind of relic poo poo we're discussing. I think you know that.

kjetting posted:

I agree with you, Fauster.

I get that Relic'ing is just like "worn" jeans, it's just a finish mimicking what something might look like naturally if you use it a lot. I really do. And I want to respect that some people are just a lot more vain than me. But it's not easy.

All my guitars (and jeans) look like they've been dragged behind a speeding car, because I use them all the time and they're just....things. I can buy new clothes. Instruments can take a beating, and if it gets too bad they can be fixed or have parts replaced.

The irony is people buying guitars (or ripped/worn designer clothes) and paying way more for something that looks like they have treated carelessly, but that costs so much they treat it like it was made of thin glass.
Thanks, I am happy to know I am not totally alone on this. I hadn't thought of clothing, I was thinking about furniture but yeah, thanks for the interesting new paradigm.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 17, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That's beautiful.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i just wish it was spelled any other way that "relicing". i was thinking "relicking" but that looks even stupider. relic-ing?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Lol, I'm glad Gibson still can't get out of bed without stepping on their own dick

https://www.guitarworld.com/amp/news/gibson-pulls-controversial-youtube-video-following-outcry

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Nox posted:

Lol, I'm glad Gibson still can't get out of bed without stepping on their own dick

https://www.guitarworld.com/amp/news/gibson-pulls-controversial-youtube-video-following-outcry

well maybe if every other manufacturer on earth didn't make better les pauls than gibson it wouldn't be such a problem

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol what a promising start for the new management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Empty dickswinging legal threats that will be followed by literally nothing of substance, I thought they ousted the Trump lover

Also I will 100% tell you “whoa man, that looks cool” to your face if you show me your reliced guitar and then I will roll my eyes and think of you as a non-playing blues lawyer type the second your back is turned. I have never yet heard a person play a reliced guitar who was any good at all that wasn’t being paid to promote said instrument.

Fuck Your Website fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 17, 2019