Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/nailedToTheSky.htm

Nailed To The Sky is still my favorite spell ever, period.
"Depending on the world this may be deadly but we're still hardcoding the assumption that the world is a globe in the vacuum of space into the spell." D&D in a nutshell.

Or that you're on the material plane to begin with, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

My Lovely Horse posted:

"Depending on the world this may be deadly but we're still hardcoding the assumption that the world is a globe in the vacuum of space into the spell." D&D in a nutshell.

Or that you're on the material plane to begin with, I guess

Honestly, considering the sort of game that's actually gonna bother with epic magic, assuming you're on the prime material plane is a much dicier assumption.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

shirts and skins posted:

Then you live very close to me.

It's always a bit horrifying as an American to realize just *how many* place names are native American words. Almost like they were everywhere, and them...yeaaaah.

Or when we use flagrant insults for people, it took over a century for my home state to both notice and do something about a local mountain named Squaw Peak, since that’s how long it took native activist groups to make people appreciate that after being used in a derogatory fashion for so long, the name didn’t come across to “Native American woman” so much as “N-word mountain”

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Cuntellectual posted:

I always found it weird, having not played DnD until after stuff like WoW, that Fighters couldn't throw their weapons so hard that the victim burst into gibs and damaged other people or something.

Fourth edition fighters had a lot of amazing builds, especially once the Martial Power supplement dropped. Playing a brawler fighter was absolutely amazing, you could grab someone with a single action and then use them as a shield, or a weapon. Throw 'em across the room? Sure, why not.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
4e had a lot of cool builds that I miss in 5e. Like Cosmic Sorcerers, or the teleporting battleminds.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
3rd edition would have been more fun for fighters if they actually emphasized that a 200lb human with the literal strength of a giant would be able to jump hundreds of feet like the incredible hulk, even wearing heavy armor.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I think whoever owns the rights to the D&D cartoon is owed some money after seeing that.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

No way is that a coincidence: that's EXACTLY the 80's D&D cartoon.

And they arrive in the modern world at the end?? Super awesome.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

As someone recently pointed out in the Cosplay-Thread:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Just to bring things back on subject I thought I'd track down some actual cosplay of Uni and about half of the Animated D&D cosplay groups I found seemed to be from Brazil so the show must have been super popular over there, hence the Renault ad.

A pretty significant percentage of the other photos had the person dressed as Diana The Acrobat wearing blackface

What's up with that, Animated D&D fans??? :chloe:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

seaborgium posted:

I think whoever owns the rights to the D&D cartoon is owed some money after seeing that.

Presumably they got the rights before just making a commercial.

Not everyone can be the company I used to work for that filmed a music video commercial without contacting the right holders for the song.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Or the governing party of New Zealand

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Gynovore posted:

No way is that a coincidence: that's EXACTLY the 80's D&D cartoon.

And they arrive in the modern world at the end?? Super awesome.

Everyone please enjoy this episode of the D&D cartoon narrated as though it was an actual game of D&D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3FZnD21iO0

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
It keeps happening

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I love Plane Shift jokes.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Lovely dwarven wits

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The slope of infinite pain is what my geometry teacher called their grading curve.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Infinite Pain-Slope sounds like it would be an Oglaf thing. Just the wording I guess.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To be exact he was teleported to Gehenna, which is composed of four Infinite volcanos and if you fall you will roll down the slope forever or until you hit an shelf. (Which was likely created by the planes Daemon natives who will torture you to death for fun.)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Blue voice guy was too awesome for this plane.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Given how he showed up for a few moments, showed off all the cool things he could do, and got chumped, I'm wondering if that was a Kickstarter backer's character?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Minrah's still the second-best dwarf.

Also, this is the second time a villain used plane shift offensively - and instead of choosing a lethal plane*, uses a less effective but more painful one. Why? Same reason people put Bond in an overly complex death trap, instead of before a firing squad?

*both elemental planes of fire, and water, are hard to survive without adequate preparation. Plane of positive/negative energy? Just a matter of time.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Weird Dwarf, upon being rescued: "I have been tumbling for thirty minutes!"

oobey fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 17, 2019

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Gun Jam posted:

Also, this is the second time a villain used plane shift offensively - and instead of choosing a lethal plane*, uses a less effective but more painful one. Why? Same reason people put Bond in an overly complex death trap, instead of before a firing squad?

*both elemental planes of fire, and water, are hard to survive without adequate preparation. Plane of positive/negative energy? Just a matter of time.

It's...funny.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
In this case, probably explicitly to deny Thor/Odin another soul.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Best joke on that page is how he explicitly got cut off so he couldn't explain what his class is, just to drive the OOTS forum people crazy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Next page: "How did you get back? You didn't cast a spell!" "Oh, I used my class feature-" and then he gets cut off again.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Gun Jam posted:

Without knowing his exact capabilities, sending him to an inner plane would be a crapshoot. Resistances to negative energy or fire are both pretty common for high level adventurers, for instance. But there's no eternal pain-slope resistance.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

But there's no eternal pain-slope resistance.

This is where the immovable rod comes in!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Eventually, anyone can roll a 20 on a tumble check.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wiegieman posted:

Eventually, anyone can roll a 20 on a tumble check.

Excuse me, but successfully passing a tumble check on the slop of infinite pain only orientates yourself. You then resume tumbling down the slope immediately.

It's like I'm the only person here who has read d20 Guide to the Sloped Plains...

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

a kitten posted:

Everyone please enjoy this episode of the D&D cartoon narrated as though it was an actual game of D&D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3FZnD21iO0

Is that how live dnd works?

It sounds like fun!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
RIP Durkon's dad

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Hey, maybe Thad has another chance!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Whybird posted:

Given how he showed up for a few moments, showed off all the cool things he could do, and got chumped, I'm wondering if that was a Kickstarter backer's character?

I think there was only one backer character insert, wasn't there? That was Veldrina and she ended up being in it a fair bit.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Without knowing his exact capabilities, sending him to an inner plane would be a crapshoot. Resistances to negative energy or fire are both pretty common for high level adventurers, for instance. But there's no eternal pain-slope resistance.

If he had any kind of flight or levitation or self-entangling capacity he'd be fine, but those are admittedly rarer than energy resistance since it's not like he could get enough concentration to cast a spell, he'd have to have innate flight somehow.

MikeJF posted:

I think there was only one backer character insert, wasn't there? That was Veldrina and she ended up being in it a fair bit.

I'm like 99% sure her bodyguard was a kickstarter character too.

e: checked the wiki, he wasn't a kickstarter character but he WAS based on a real person, they just got a cameo for virtue of something other than a pledge.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 18, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I'm like 99% sure her bodyguard was a kickstarter character too.

He was a forums regular who passed away and was put in as tribute.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MikeJF posted:

He was a forums regular who passed away and was put in as tribute.
Hence the joke about him counting in the margins, he was the OP of the original "how many times has each character appeared" thread.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

:siren: New strip! :siren:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Welcome to the democratic party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
At least someone didn't fail a spot check.