Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

MedicineHut posted:

That a dedicated engine dev team in Amazon can not make multiplayer work for a brawler does not mean the amazing Germans can not make it work for SC, no?

The only way to know for sure is to try! *Sells plasma to afford JPEGs*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

MedicineHut posted:

I mean, to be fair the article says "this engine would not be optimized for the development of multiplayer games, or at least not for the type that had to correspond to Breakaway" (a sort of “sports brawler with a mythological setting”). Since the type of multiplayer required in SC by using server meshing, object container streaming and server side object container streaming and battles for thousands of players etc is different then it is probably not an issue at all here.

That a dedicated engine dev team in Amazon can not make multiplayer work for a brawler does not mean the amazing Germans can not make it work for SC, no?

Once Chris waves his hands at his partners at Amazon, it'll all get straightened out. They'll probably enter into an agreement to share profits from all the gaming publishers who will come scraping to Amazon to lease their new and improved Lumberyard engine. Chris has been too busy to get out there yet, as he's inundated with responsibilities such as watching movies and game trailers, and then stealing what he sees without understanding it. It's not easy to save PC gaming.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

The only way to know for sure is to try! *Sells plasma to afford JPEGs*

You get higher profits selling neon. Just be careful - it's a highly controlled substance.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Neon is illegal bc lots of it is used in cyberpunk settings

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The best thing about all of this is the way in which it's going to completely gently caress over Star Citizen. Lumberyard is not going to be finished now and it sounds like it still has years of work to go which is why using it right now to develop your game is free.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

MedicineHut posted:

It's not a problem for Star Citizen since their networking architecture is supposedly entirely proprietary.

The problem for Star Citizen is they seem to think the ideal team to implement this entirely proprietary networking architecture is a bunch of underpaid graduate hires being micromanaged by a drooling thumb. And also that it's literally impossible.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Beet Wagon posted:

Like just look at this dumbass poo poo

Like all good lies, the “goons got kicked out for KoS lists” and “goons left cause they couldn’t control the game like eve” narratives are built on a kernel of truth - that being that many orgs took the forums politics game incredibly seriously and would publish ‘official’ treaties and condemnations and like fleet organization tables and member ranks and poo poo, including goons if I remember correctly.

al bester says the nukes are still incoming

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scruffpuff posted:

You get higher profits selling neon. Just be careful - it's a highly controlled substance.

I think i might have inhaled some.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I kind of feel sorry for the guy. He seems like a sincerely nice guy with a good imagination who just wants this game to give him what he wants. I can't imagine him being on the forums or reddit screaming troll or telling people they don't understand software development. I mean, yeah, it seems like he has some sort of issue, although i don't want to try and guess what that might be. I worry for him that if SC fails it might just be a real blow to him.

He might be misguided, but he seems sincere.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Dooguk posted:

https://sparkchronicles.com/amazon-new-details-on-deleted-games-problems-related-to-lumberyard-engine/

“like driving a train while the tracks have yet to be laid on the ground”.

Oh man this is great. :ohdear:

I don't quite follow the ins and outs of LTI stuff, but this bit of Twerk's video is also great: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/439377851?t=45m33s

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 17, 2019

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dooguk posted:

https://sparkchronicles.com/amazon-new-details-on-deleted-games-problems-related-to-lumberyard-engine/

“like driving a train while the tracks have yet to be laid on the ground”.

What i really don't want is for SC to fail because of a third party. I don't want the hardcore backers to have an excuse as to why it failed other than CR himself.

gently caress Crytek, gently caress Amazon, i want CIG to go as far as they can, succed or fail.

That way is a win-win. If they succeed, great, another space game on the market, it might even be half-decent eventually. If they fail, well, the salt on the SC sub will be something to behold.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

reverend crabhands posted:

Oh man this is great. :ohdear:

I don't quite follow the ins and outs of LTI stuff, but this bit of Twerk's video is also great: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/439377851?t=45m33s

Yeah, it was an interesting watch. I love how one backer was trying to say one thing and Twerk just cut to the relevant quote from CR which contradicted them.

One thing it did show is that many backers do not understand what CIG really promised with LTI.... which is understandable, since CIG say lots of things which can be understood in different ways and sometimes contrdict themselves.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Agony Aunt posted:

What i really don't want is for SC to fail because of a third party. I don't want the hardcore backers to have an excuse as to why it failed other than CR himself.

gently caress Crytek, gently caress Amazon, i want CIG to go as far as they can, succed or fail.

That way is a win-win. If they succeed, great, another space game on the market, it might even be half-decent eventually. If they fail, well, the salt on the SC sub will be something to behold.

There will ALWAYS be a scapegoat. CIG will not own their mistakes, Citizens won't make them. There is absolutely no reasonable hypothesis in which whales stop buying spaceships. How many years of lovely non-progress will it take? 5 more? 10? Fundraising is still going up.

As much as I want the ELE.... As much as I want citizens to be made the see the failure.... I just don't see it happening for a LONG time.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

rePool posted:

I have to ask since it's been bothering me.

I'm decently proficient with typing at around 130wpm, and I feel like Chris seems a little rough around the edges here and other videos I've seen of him behind a keyboard for a guru programmer?

Using a loving mouse to select "code" to delete = not even remotely a developer, probably barely uses a keyboard anymore.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SoftNum posted:

As much as I want the ELE.... As much as I want citizens to be made the see the failure.... I just don't see it happening for a LONG time.

it will go on until eternity then. whole generations of games and consoles will come an go.
store citizer will perpetually stay in limbo.

and why not everyone seems to be happy with that.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Yeah, it was an interesting watch. I love how one backer was trying to say one thing and Twerk just cut to the relevant quote from CR which contradicted them.

One thing it did show is that many backers do not understand what CIG really promised with LTI.... which is understandable, since CIG say lots of things which can be understood in different ways and sometimes contrdict themselves.

That comb-over though, it's just about the most daft thing I've ever seen. Poor guy just needs to embrace the bald (I'm bald, its good, tidy, and professional looking and easy to manage) and get rid of that octopus on his head.

CInotG's moto needs to be "When you can't dazzle with brilliance, baffle with bullshit". Whole thing was like a giant wishlist in a perfect, hyper-productive dev world.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

SoftNum posted:

There will ALWAYS be a scapegoat. CIG will not own their mistakes, Citizens won't make them. There is absolutely no reasonable hypothesis in which whales stop buying spaceships. How many years of lovely non-progress will it take? 5 more? 10? Fundraising is still going up.

That's why discovery is so important. The matter of Chris's bumble-fuckery will be a matter of public record when Crytek goes to court.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Don’t worry they will just change to a new engine and it will only take a few days for the switch over.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Strangler 42 posted:

That's why discovery is so important. The matter of Chris's bumble-fuckery will be a matter of public record when Crytek goes to court.

I mean, I'm not sure how much of that stuff is actually going to reach the public though, right?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Strangler 42 posted:

They could have video of Chris taking a poo poo on the server heat sinks and backers will still praise him. He's their avatar and all their insecurities are projected onto him - the sweaty, repulsive, talentless prick who nevertheless is appearing to "live the dream" - if he turns out to be a failure, what the gently caress are they?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Beet Wagon posted:

I mean, I'm not sure how much of that stuff is actually going to reach the public though, right?

I'm crossing my fingers for all of it to come out, followed my months of finger pointing and poo poo talking from current and former employees.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sabreseven posted:

That comb-over though, it's just about the most daft thing I've ever seen. Poor guy just needs to embrace the bald (I'm bald, its good, tidy, and professional looking and easy to manage) and get rid of that octopus on his head.

CInotG's moto needs to be "When you can't dazzle with brilliance, baffle with bullshit". Whole thing was like a giant wishlist in a perfect, hyper-productive dev world.

What was funny is how it was meant to be about the current and upcoming patch but they spent most of the time off in la-la land.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

What was funny is how it was meant to be about the current and upcoming patch but they spent most of the time off in la-la land.

Seems to be the general theme of the last 8 years for CInotG :D

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The only thing that would shock me would be if Chris Roberts did not wear a black turtle neck at Citizen Con.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
It's here! The Judas patch!

Star Citizen Leaks - Evocati 3.6.0 build 1908949 Patch Notes

quote:

FPS
Improved the look and feel of the character jump mechanic.

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 17, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

But I thought the whole point was that they *weren't* gonna fake the elevators lol

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

But I thought the whole point was that they *weren't* gonna fake the elevators lol

Right in the fidelity, i feel the worst kind of betrayal :smith:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Waiting for the trains was the best part, its where you could meet new friends …. with train lust on their minds :colbert:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Star Citizen is falling apart …. there; I've said it!

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if Braben would rent ci(g?) The Elite Dangerous engine if they asked nice?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You people didn't play Everquest and have to wait for boats to come and it shows.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

So like.. one major art asset improvement... 1.5 major system overhauls.... and a bunch of minor patch notes that you might expect from a game that's been released for 4 years?

Man CIG you're just going great guns. I can't believe the frantic pace of development of this dozens of millions of dollars a year development shop.

I said come in! posted:

You people didn't play Everquest and have to wait for boats to come and it shows.

I remember the boats. WoW had them for a while too.

It was a great time of camaraderie between players.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

SoftNum posted:

I remember the boats. WoW had them for a while too.

It was a great time of camaraderie between players.

literally every piece of camaraderie i remember about wow / eq boats is talking to other players about how much they loving suck

which, I guess is technically true

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Wait they added loving component degradation before persistence? What goddamn sense does that make, CIG?

That bit about Delamar getting its own Object Container raises an interesting question to me- is it possible that the extremely long travel times are actually disguised load windows between the different "Sets" of the system?

Beet Wagon posted:

gently caress it, elevators were just teleporters with weird 30-second-long timers tacked onto them the day they introduced Levski. I'm glad they are setting this up and I look forward to the clusterfuck that happens when two people send their elevators to the same hangar at once.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Colostomy Bag posted:

They are almost finished on the tools.

Now they can build the sewage pipeline that connects to itself and the content will flow !

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
So what happens if Amazon decides to leave gaming for good and stops supporting lumberyard?

I think that would be the best comedy way this thing dies. Poetic justice you might say.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

RE: Component damage, overheating, travel times, two different types of fuel, repair/reload costs

I really like that CIG is going all-in on the "Every minute of play is physically costing you something" part of their game before they even begin work on stuff like interesting story missions, core economy loops, and working multicrew mechanics. I just love to log in and actually go into debt in real-time while I look at the spaceships that can't do anything.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

loving Parody posted:

Shields have been reworked to add major differences between manufacturers and classifications with the goal of providing a difference in feel and value. Size 1 shields have had their health pools readjusted and regen reworked. For size 1, shields now stop regenerating on hit and once a set period of time passes without further strikes, the shields will began to regen again. The functional goal of this is to limit shield regeneration during a fight and have the shield work more to stop the enemy doing significant damage right at a fight's outset. There is one exception, ASAS (manufacturer) shields constantly regenerate, but have a reduced health pool Size 2 shields work similar to before, but now with more difference between manufacturers. At size 2 there is no damage delay, low regeneration, and a large health pool. Size 3 shields have very large health pools and regeneration rates, with the goal of requiring multiple ships working together to overcome their regen.

ATTENTION CITIZENS: Expensive ships are now even more broken than before. We just felt that it was possible that a solo pilot who knew how to fly well might actually be able to kill the 600+ dollar ships, occasionally, and that didn't sit right with us. They are now raid bosses.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Warhawk109 posted:

So what happens if Amazon decides to leave gaming for good and stops supporting lumberyard?

I think that would be the best comedy way this thing dies. Poetic justice you might say.

Yea gently caress crytek they suck ! We use lumberyard!!

When lumberyard fucka off what you going to do?

Turns out crytek are good guys after all! We have entered a new agreement at severely increased prices as we totally terminated the last GLA ... And now we have crytek logos displayed not only on the splash screen but on half the ship MFD displays !

Go on citizens get your head around that one !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

zcrow posted:

al bester says the nukes are still incoming
And he will be smiling the whole time.