Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Well it's definitely a very 'tell, don't show' form of charisma that the reader never, ever sees, unlike DIO's who is just The Guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah you can totally think it sucks if you want, I'm just saying what Giorno being related to DIO is most likely intended to add

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Yinlock posted:

part 5 generally has high highs and low lows, when it's good it's really good, but when it's off it's just boring as hell

This is pretty much it. Like, I know some people here mentioned they liked it, but I found Soft Machine to be really dull aside from the part where it looked like Bruno was being menaced by a fly.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

hi liter posted:

Giorno has Dio's ruthlessness as well as the Joestar's burning sense of honor and duty.

Alternate reality where Dio is not a loving dick and instead inspires Jonathan to become a better gentleman and to be more street savvy.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
you can read Giorno and Bruno's fight as a callback Jonathan vs Speedwagon, because both have the revelation of 'this guy could have kicked me in the dick way harder but he didn't. i would now die for this guy"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhmC-q5ccLA

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

All this discussion, and for the last 10 years I assumed Bruno was the Jojo of part 5.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Magna Kaser posted:

All this discussion, and for the last 10 years I assumed Bruno was the Jojo of part 5.

The part would be massively improved if he was (and thus Giorno wasn't), but he's still the second most important character of it and gets so much spotlight I can't even really complain about it.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

It's Jonathan's balls. It's Jonathan's son.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think the way that the video games handle it is that Giorno recognizes DIO as his dad, likely because of his mother's relationship with him, but he has more of a kindred spirits thing with Jonathan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ws0mpdnDes

Hol Horse also has a small rivalry with Mista in the games due to their similar Stands. Eyes of Heaven added something like that for Okuyasu and Vanilla Ice, as well as Avdol and ACDC strangely enough.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 18, 2019

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

the ball sperm and the brain sperm became one

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Okay I clicked away to a tab to check on something as the OP was playing this episode and I got a genuine scare because all I hear is the music and it suddenly gets cut by a GONG...BOOM followed by some ethereal opera singing and someone speaking Italian creepily.

I think it's the closest I'll feel to being in a JoJo fight because I immediately went "SOMETHING IS WRONG, THIS IS THE WORK OF AN ENEMY STAND."

e: Please tell me someone made a gif of Trish and Mista pointing at each other in a perfect loop. The JoJo fandom has its own Spider-Man pointing at each other gif opportunity now.

Willsun fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 18, 2019

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I think the way that the video games handle it is that Giorno recognizes DIO as his dad, likely because of his mother's relationship with him, but he has more of a kindred spirits thing with Jonathan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ws0mpdnDes

Hol Horse also has a small rivalry with Mista in the games due to their similar Stands. Eyes of Heaven added something like that for Okuyasu and Vanilla Ice, as well as Avdol and ACDC strangely enough.

what the gently caress is giorno wearing in that

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Willsun posted:

Okay I clicked away to a tab to check on something as the OP was playing this episode and I got a genuine scare because all I hear is the music and it suddenly gets cut by a GONG...BOOM followed by some ethereal opera singing and someone speaking Italian creepily.

I think it's the closest I'll feel to being in a JoJo fight because I immediately went "SOMETHING IS WRONG, THIS IS THE WORK OF AN ENEMY STAND."

e: Please tell me someone made a gif of Trish and Mista pointing at each other in a perfect loop. The JoJo fandom has its own Spider-Man pointing at each other gif opportunity now.

I gotchu fam

Zyla posted:

It's from one of the tankobon covers.

He's dressed as Atlas!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zyla posted:

it's called fashion look it up

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

BaDandy posted:

I gotchu fam

omfg

Also Polnareff :(

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

BaDandy posted:

I gotchu fam

It's from one of the tankobon covers.

He's dressed as Atlas!

hell yeeeee

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's very Shin Megami Tensei.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/DulceGiovanna5/status/1140394826396909568

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

I like how they didn't go with the shadowed eyes for a background face this time, it really adds to the very specific energy Giorno has going on, which is this:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Magna Kaser posted:

He may not be the Jojo but he might as well be the protagonist. Nothing in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure that says the Jojo of the part can't be a supporting character!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
While there are definitely weak points of Part 5 (if this body swap goes on, it'll definitely be the dumbest final arc), but I think it's on par, if not above Part 3. While Stardust Crusaders wasn't perfect, I enjoyed nearly every episode. There are also a lot of just dumb and funny enemies, which I loved. Oingo Boingo, Enya, Hol Horse, and some others are loving idiots. However, the main cast wasn't as good. Jotaro grew on me only after his battle with DIO and appearances in Part 4. He had his moments, but it took me way too long to realize that he's also a dumbass. Avdol and Kakyoin had basically nothing to them with underutilized stands, dissapearances for long time, and not even remotely interesting personalities.
Part 5 is loving weird, but, again aside from body swap, I think it was usually funny-weird. I don't like Giorno very much, but his stand is loving hilarious cheater poo poo, so even the worst episodes were memorable because of brick snakes or whatever. Also characters are interesting and interact with each other a lot. Fugo and Narancia, whose chemistry I miss, were my favorite. I'll definitely remember Abbacchio because of his hatred of Giorno, which I can't rationalize in any way if it's not him having a hardon for Bruno. Compare that to Kakyoin who was, uh, wearing shades and fed poo poo to a baby. Dude was pretty smart, but I barely remember what else he had going for him.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

That thread quickly evolved in to feet fetish land. :stonk:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How many episodes are left?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
five!

Desperado Bones posted:

That thread quickly evolved in to feet fetish land. :stonk:
so?

it's hot jojo men + the internet, step on the gas a bit

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I feel like this part has some of the best moments but it doesn't come together to create a good part overall. Right now I'd say its my least favorite.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

All of the individual fights and stands are pretty great, but the overall story and framing is pretty meh

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sockser posted:

All of the individual fights and stands are pretty great, but the overall story and framing is pretty meh
Yeah.

Going in hearing about how it was about Italian mafia members trying to take down their organization from within I assumed it was going to be about Bruno and his cohorts actually participating in mafia activities, and trying to balance that life with their own codes and general good guy-ness while also doing their best to not be found out by the upper echelons. Instead it's being extended sequences of "get to location A from location B" which while also the crux of Part 3 at least Stardust Crusaders framed it in a much more entertaining fashion and from start to finish it was always in service of one goal (find and defeat Dio).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't mind the fact that the goals change, since that helps give a feeling of progression. Comparatively, DIO could've had five Stand Users or fifty between him and the Joestars without changing the plot too much.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It does mean for almost the entire story the gang lack agency and are just reacting to orders to go to scenic locales for Stand battles from other people. Literally the only destination they go to on their own initiative is Sardinia and straight after that they're back to taking orders from the computer again.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

multijoe posted:

It does mean for almost the entire story the gang lack agency and are just reacting to orders to go to scenic locales for Stand battles from other people. Literally the only destination they go to on their own initiative is Sardinia and straight after that they're back to taking orders from the computer again.

Choosing to betray the boss was a pretty major decision they made on their own.

Also I do believe going after Polpo's money was also something they came up with themselves.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

felt obligated to post one of the most overt jojo references in bloodstained

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If you hold up she just does poses.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Johnny Joestar posted:

where does the salami go when sex pistols eats it

Sex Pistols' stand power is actually erassing stuff from existance by eating them, Mista never figured it out and just told them to get in his gun.

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 18, 2019

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Johnny Joestar posted:

felt obligated to post one of the most overt jojo references in bloodstained

There's a similar Stone Mask item in SotN (you find it in a library), so it's still a jojo reference but now also referencing the jojo reference in that game :v:

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Fargin Icehole posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM

AYYIIAYAAYIAAA

This theme is so ridiculous i love it. this is like the music you hear for a Persian entourage.

I think the biggest flaw of part 2 is that the protagonist didn't have memorable theme music like the stand users in the later parts. Pillar Men theme stole the show.

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's a direct reference to the way diavolo goes about things, more or less. down to his waffle cone full of two scoops of angry face that his stand consists of that can literally make it seem like time is jumping forward.

David Pro really went out of their way with the added scene in episode 1.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
speak for yourself man.

I hate Joseph but his themes rule
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtdqnCTRtWI
i sincerely like the vocals in this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJaWiZbvfQs
this loving owner of a lonely heart rear end stolen riff

Kars' theme is also loving great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htDB8SuLrng

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I, too, enjoyed the theme of Kars' Loreal commercial.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
The part 2 OST is dope as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqz4kXtGcLc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What's the song that plays when Lisa Lisa is trying to convince Kars and Eisdis to do 1v1s for the Super Aja?

I like that one.