Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Maybe Cao Cao should've abdicated to the rightful heir of Han then :colbert:

Why should he when the Han had clearly lost the mandate of heaven?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Maybe Cao Cao should've abdicated to the rightful heir of Han then :colbert:

Gongsun Zan already murdered Liu Yu tho

e: also shout out to Liu Yi, a wealthy dude who gave away everything to feed the hungry during the yellow turban rebellion, before slaughtering his oxen, and then starving to death himself

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 18, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Bring back the Qin imo.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

nearly two millenia too early but who's counting

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Still super early but any one have any speculation on what DLC we might see? Nanman/Shanyue seem like an obvious choice, and Korea is on the map and there were some small scale campaigns there, some minor stuff with Xiongnu/nomads as well. Period is too early for Japanese pirates so I don't think we'll see that. Maybe it'll be more in the vein of Napoleon/Warhammer where they try smaller campaigns focused on specific regions? Say, a Red Cliff focused campaign or something?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The South needs to be filled out as every game the south is dominated by one faction quickly and it makes them a lot less fun than the thunderdome up north

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Still super early but any one have any speculation on what DLC we might see? Nanman/Shanyue seem like an obvious choice, and Korea is on the map and there were some small scale campaigns there, some minor stuff with Xiongnu/nomads as well. Period is too early for Japanese pirates so I don't think we'll see that. Maybe it'll be more in the vein of Napoleon/Warhammer where they try smaller campaigns focused on specific regions? Say, a Red Cliff focused campaign or something?

What they talked about is different time period starts. So maybe a campaign option with Sima Yi as playable, an option set during the start of the Yellow Turban rebellion, stuff like that.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

same for the border regions in general, they should be bastions having to pacify their surroundings before being able to strike south

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
12 trebuchets, 2 nerd commanders, 6 yi militia to tarpit enemy commanders and a champion to kill them is probably the most effective army I've used on romance mode. Especially against cities. Assault, flatten half the garrison and wait for a draw, repeat next turn until attrition makes them sally out and die.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

The South needs to be filled out as every game the south is dominated by one faction quickly and it makes them a lot less fun than the thunderdome up north

Yeah I expect the south is where we're going to see DLC factions show up first because it's clearly the biggest dead zone at the moment. It's why Sun Jian gets so huge every game - there's nothing down there to slow him down.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Fangz posted:

What they talked about is different time period starts. So maybe a campaign option with Sima Yi as playable, an option set during the start of the Yellow Turban rebellion, stuff like that.

Given the scope is somewhere between a Race and Campaign pack, we'll probably see a significant date lumped in with some new cultural lords.

The Nanman would make sense to lump in with a Sima Yi/Zhuge Liang focused campaign starting at say 223 (Liu Bei's death and Zhuge Liang's regency).

Maybe the Shanyue added with a 195 start date, so you've got Sun Ce's southern campaigns and an actual Lu Bu starting position.

Maybe 210 as a start date? You've got Liu Bei's move into Yi, and Ma Chao's attack on Cao Cao as a good precedent for adding Qiang/nomadic cultures (give me hordes CA).

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 18, 2019

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Asehujiko posted:

12 trebuchets, 2 nerd commanders, 6 yi militia to tarpit enemy commanders and a champion to kill them is probably the most effective army I've used on romance mode. Especially against cities. Assault, flatten half the garrison and wait for a draw, repeat next turn until attrition makes them sally out and die.

If you hit the withdraw button your units run out of the map and it auto draws; no need to wait out the timer.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Come on start with the han still being alive and dong zhou being a good guy putting down yellow turbans

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I want to play as the Ten Eunuchs

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Big oof.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I wish the uniques adopted your name like the generics do if you adopt them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I have literally never gotten a spy to be taken in by the enemy. How do you spy at all?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Unlucky7 posted:

Forgive me if this has already been linked, but here is Three Kingdoms characters as dril tweets (its a thread)

https://twitter.com/panarin_misha/status/1139582199177646081

Jesus christ these are golden

fakeedit - :randvince:

https://twitter.com/panarin_misha/status/1139597498077667330?s=19

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Third World Reagan posted:

I still feel like blue, red, and purple troops tend to excel over green and yellow.
Yellow is going to be way better than red in charging a shitload of archers because of their ranged blocking.

Green is a lot better vs cavalry and even gets hidden buffs vs cavalry, but purple seems okay vs cavalry too? I don't think I've ever had the AI (on higher difficulties) suicide charge into green. Since archers are so good and get spammed a lot, the AI doesn't seem to use cavalry well, and purple tends to trump green because of their much better melee evasion stats, I think purple gets a lot more mileage than green.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I have never had lack of shield be a problem for cav charging archers.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Third World Reagan posted:

I have never had lack of shield be a problem for cav charging archers.

Once the AI commits to lineman targets for a few seconds, they never seen to switch to cavalry in mass

One lone archery unit on a rear flank might target the cavalry, but...well that's why the mounted general leads them

I generally pick missile defense cavalry as my hard counter to the AI's archer spam. Am I missing something from red cav?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Potato Salad posted:

Once the AI commits to lineman targets for a few seconds, they never seen to switch to cavalry in mass

One lone archery unit on a rear flank might target the cavalry, but...well that's why the mounted general leads them

I generally pick missile defense cavalry as my hard counter to the AI's archer spam. Am I missing something from red cav?

Red cav will break a unit of archers basically instantly on the charge. Yellow cav have a lot worse charge bonus and it takes them a lot longer to actually remove the archers from the fight. They're also a lot more useful against anything else -- two units of shock cavalry in wedge formation will almost always drop even a full unit of spears or halberds to like 30% HP and shatter them on the first charge as long as they don't have charge reflect or charge negate (and those aren't active if you charge them from the flanks/rear like you should be).

Zurai fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 18, 2019

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One thing to bear in mind when discussing combat AI in this game: it changes based on what difficulty you're playing on. The lower ones, it tends to pick targets and be less reactive in general, and will do dumb things like firing arrows at lone generals they'll barely hit, or turtle formation infantry they literally cannot damage. Higher difficulties they are smarter. So it's probably worth pointing out what combat difficulty you're playing when talking about AI habits and ways to exploit them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I get the impression that red cav is more expensive/harder to get (in terms of reforms) than yellow. Maybe that's faction specific/reflective of my love of the yellow part of the reform tree.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Yellow Cav also doesn't have a Dragon unit for whatever reason.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing to bear in mind when discussing combat AI in this game: it changes based on what difficulty you're playing on. The lower ones, it tends to pick targets and be less reactive in general, and will do dumb things like firing arrows at lone generals they'll barely hit, or turtle formation infantry they literally cannot damage. Higher difficulties they are smarter. So it's probably worth pointing out what combat difficulty you're playing when talking about AI habits and ways to exploit them.
this is a claim with battle ai that is often made but not often substantiated. it isn't even necessarily a good thing since stat bonuses on higher difficulties can warp tactics and unit balance. the only claim that i've seen truly substantiated is that hard/very hard battle ai will not target turtle formation infantry.

Zane fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 18, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Potato Salad posted:

Red cav do a ridiculously larger amount of damage on the charge than melee cav do, so yellow cav charging archers take very little damage on the way in but then get bogged in and stuck while slowly grinding the archers away while red cav charging archers take more damage on the way in but cause the archers to explode and die, which means that your cav are then freed up to shatter the enemy line by rear charging. You can also avoid most of the damage they take - thus negating the main benefit of yellow cav - by taking a wider flanking route, splitting your cav to attack from different angles, or just running a hero with the missile block skill to make the red cav immune on the way in.

Basically the difference between the two is yellow cav are just melee infantry on horses while red cav are exploding freight trains that shatter units very quickly.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
The thing is that the charge bonus from all cav units, even mounted archers, is more than enough to gently caress up archer units across the board. Lances are overkill for archers, I'd rather have shields, especially since it lets you send two or three units against six units of archers without getting shredded.

Lances are definitely superior for flank and rear attacks on heavy infantry and the like, though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

cheese posted:

Can we talk about how insane trebs with a strategist's flaming shot are? Cause they are insane. No good reason not to have 2-3 in every army.

The only reason is knowing how blatantly ahistorical they are.

Might as well put hand grenades in the game (oh wait they did that too).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

sassassin posted:

*spittle flying* How loving! dare THEY?!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Franks Happy Place posted:

The thing is that the charge bonus from all cav units, even mounted archers, is more than enough to gently caress up archer units across the board. Lances are overkill for archers, I'd rather have shields, especially since it lets you send two or three units against six units of archers without getting shredded.

Lances are definitely superior for flank and rear attacks on heavy infantry and the like, though.

In all of my time playing, low tier melee cav smack into peasant archers and get stuck in and have to grind them down while low tier shock cav smack into them and rout them nearly instantly. High tier melee cav do much better but so do high tier shock cav, and many high tier shock cav variants have other benefits as well(like white wave veterans having shields, for example).

I've never had archers be an actual threat to shock cav because you control entirely when you close range due to your speed and there are multiple ways to nullify incoming archer fire with abilities, or simply forcing the archers to split their fire by approaching from multiple angles.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Zane posted:

this is a claim with battle ai that is often made but not often substantiated. it isn't even necessarily a good thing since stat bonuses on higher difficulties can warp tactics and unit balance. the only claim that i've seen truly substantiated is that hard/very hard battle ai will not target turtle formation infantry.

It's pretty reasonable that if it reacts to difficulty in one way, it reacts in other ways too. It seems very strange that they'd take the effort to program in different AI per difficulty for exactly one circumstance.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Normal AI will also do braindead poo poo like cavalry charge units in a charge reflect stance head on.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

sassassin posted:

isn't right around now when china invented them

or do you mean setting poo poo on fire

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm having way more fun just pretending trebuchets don't exist tbh. They're a weird as gently caress and broken unit.

Why is the one and only artillery piece available at level 1 for just one type of already very powerful dude?

Why is it the only way to get "siege attacker"?

Why is it useless at anything but walls until it ranks up/gets flaming shot and then becomes a WW2 rocket battery with homing missiles?

Why does the AI almost never take any?

Why can't I recruit a doofy catapult?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Zurai posted:

It's pretty reasonable that if it reacts to difficulty in one way, it reacts in other ways too. It seems very strange that they'd take the effort to program in different AI per difficulty for exactly one circumstance.
not so reasonable when there has been no explicable proof that the battle difficulty setting in any other tw game over the past 20 years has done anything more than provide unit stat bonuses. but yes, the one confirmed behavior change in three kingdoms is strange.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Alright, I wasn't originally going to make a Dong Zhou post-victory post since "I was at war with everyone forever" isn't particularly interesting a read but things got kinda wacky near the end and Liu Bei, as always, was an enormous prick that needs recounting.

This was probably the hardest campaign so far because oh god everyone hates you forever. Your borders are somehow both tiny and simple to defend but the river also makes them porous. The Horse Pastures make getting the faction cavalry up super easy but just sending someone to claim them when the entire map is sending a dozen armies at you is dicey. The Xihe area changed hands like a dozen times and the Luoyang port was almost as bad. But things stabilized with me basically dividing the army into three leaders. Lu Bu handled my northern conquests, Dong Zhou focused on the middle area and Xu Rong I sent south to conquer Chengdu.

Most importantly I married off Dong Min's godawful rear end to some minor lord in return for them becoming a vassal because holy poo poo Dong Min is bad no wonder he gets destroyed. Him and Dong Zhou together basically completely neuter the advantages that Intimidation gives you. And once those bonuses get rolling things are smooth. At endgame I had all of my commanderies gaining public order even with the tax increased. I even used tax collectors for the first time ever really. Though things got kind of swingy when the bar would drop below max level since I'd suddenly lose a third of my income due to corruption. Yeesh. Coerce is great when you actually get to use it, +15 positive? Hell yeah and getting Intimidation isn't that hard with how often you get into fights but, you simply don't get much to use it on because everyone hates you. Yeah, you can utterly extort the Han's coffers but there's not much else to do. Razing was less valuable and honestly dangerous with how utterly it demolished your respectability but after Dong Zhou died it was necessary to refill my bar which had emptied and destroyed my treasury. At endgame I was just burning cities because I could and everyone pissed me off. This made me so ludicrously disrespected that giving away settlements for free was actually a negative.

Dong Zhou dying was actually an enormous positive, odd as it sounds, because his heir, Dong Li, rolled super loving good traits and was an amazing Faction Leader for her bonuses. She got brilliant, and her strategist also had brilliant so enemy ammo was hilariously low. I got a ton of guys with brilliant all around so archers were running on empty all the time.

Dong Min also ended up dying in some pointless war my vassal fought and his wife joined the faction that killed him for added hilarity.

After I secured my position within Black Mountain, the northeast horse pasture and Luoyang I was able to sue for peace with the entire eastern side of the board. This gave me plenty of time to reorient my armies and begin my attack on Liu Biao, the one major guy left I was at war with and--Liu Bei confederated him the colossal jackass god dammit even when I'm at peace with him he somehow manages to screw my over god loving dammit! Grah, so now I slowly eat the remaining minor lords of the south and force Shi Xie into vassal. Yuan Shao has got a big vassal storm going and I want to take him out and secure the north but I'm worried about Liu Bei declaring war while I'm busy. I can actually get him into a coalition for some substantial rewards but I'm leery. I take break before I do and a dawning realization hits me and I rush to check and, yes indeed I'm about to hit Queen and trigger Three Kingdoms. I would have given substantial wealth to Liu Bei only for him to backstab me immediately. Whew, avoided that bullet!

Wu, Shu-Han and me. Except Wu signed into a goddamn Alliance with Yuan Shao grah. At this point the game had become three power blocks centered around us three. Still, despite me declaring war on Yuan Shao I Coerce Wu into a NAP and start my invasion. Only for my vassal to want to declare on Shu-Han. Sure, sure why not. Back to war with everyone! It basically became the fantasy trope of the Evil Empire invades everyone at the same time and wins. Liu Bei had all his armies down south so marched them north but Xie Shi and I scooped up everything he left mostly undefended. By the time he actually reached Luoyang my spies had earned enough resource to pull off two military coups. Suddenly those five threatening armies were three separate armies right in range of my six armies. And that's how in one move I destroyed most of Liu Bei's army.

With most of the competition destroyed it was just marching on and burning everything to the ground. Right on the endgame turn Shi Xie declares free but screw it I'm burning down Wu. And victory.

Lu Bu was even more monstrous than I expected. He could flat-out route entire garrisons alone before the rest of the army even got involved. He actually hit level 10. At endgame it was even more ludicrous when I threw him into stronger enemy armies since Zhang Jiao's Resolve of the Rigtheous is an army-wide buff, not just buffing himself. The only thing more absurd than Lu Bu is Lu Bu with 80 attack speed.

Sun Jian died, Sun Ce died. Lady Wu went hard east and a substanial amount of Han Empire ended up surviving. Started gobbing up bits of Shu and Kong Rong during my wards with them. Sun Ren got married off the Tao Yin of all people. Had the most baffling turn involving Cao Cao.

Dong Zhou me!

Cao Cao got punched hard by me for a while before he got vassalized by Wu. Then, a few turns later, he breaks free and vassalizes Wu. Yeah. Eventually joins the Yuan Shao Alliance against me which does not go well.

Gongsun Zan got destroyed by Yuan Shao.

Kong Rong had too many armies for how little territory he had. He flipped alliegiences constantly but eventually settled with Liu Bei. After I wiped him out, Kong Rong joined with Yuan Shao's rump state and was absolutely furious with me.

Liu Bei. Oh god Liu Bei. Peach Brothers were obnoxious as hell and took Xihe port multiple times. Every time I marhsalled my forces to take the nearby city from him he became a vassal which meant I wasn't at war. But once I reordered myself he came back. Argh. Everything he did was such a perfect rear end in a top hat maneuver all the time it was like perfect historic Liu Bei. I eventually destroyed and executed all three bros near endgame. Xu Rong got the Crescent to really nice effect. After Liu Bei died he went through like 15 other rulers before I burned all his remaining settlements to ash.

Liu Biao did some aggressive southern expansion and I was looking forward to devouring him after he betrayed me but then Liu Bei happened.

Ma Teng thought he could take me. He was wrong.

Yuan Shu flailed uselessly trying to take me out but after I killed him I was able to vassailize his successor for a few turns until he wanted a war I didn't want. Since he'd been pushed around so hard he joined Yuan Shao's vassal swarm even if he was such a rump state he couldn't do anything with it.

Yuan Shao took out Gongsun Zan and made allies with everyone to oppose me. He actually died in battle at one point and I was able to sue for peace with his successor. He gathered nearly every single faction left under his banner and formed an Alliance with Wu. He had way too many armies for how small his territory was. At one point he had more full stacks than settlements. He also went through five successors and ended up with a Gongsun leading haha.

Zhang Yan helped take the northeast but lost the Black Mountain war to me. He was a pain during my wars and after getting exterminated joined with Yuan Shao for one last hurrah.

Zheng Jiang tried to fight me only to lose the war. I was able to Coerce a settlement off her during a short peace and kept making her waste money rebuilding Xihe. I eventually just dumped all her territories on my vassl.

Yellow Turban 3: He Yi, Huang Shao and Gong Du all got obliterated early on. Hilariously, a Yellow Turban Faction popped up in Wu territory that they never put down so I ended up +400 with them.

One of the Bandits next, probably Zhang Yan. Then a Turban then maybe Ma Teng because boy he gets rolled fast.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Is Lu Bu the only one who can smash a gate with his halberd or can other vanguards?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
How are you guys finishing campaigns so fast? I bought this game at release and I’ve just gotten to Duke in my first Cao Cao campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gamerofthegame posted:

isn't right around now when china invented them

They had human-powered trebuchets. The medieval style counterweight trebuchets in the game were invented in the west, they first show up in the historical record during the Crusades.