Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Calgary is bigger and denser, but has more oil/gas headquarters. Edmonton is closer to the tar sands up north, and is the capital so has a lot of public sector, as well as a big university and more green space/parks. Neither are close to Denver, I used to travel there for work and Denver is a way more metropolitan/major city. As a Vancouverite, I am honour bound to say that both Edmonton and Calgary are shitholes, but if you're young dumb and full of cum like Methanar they're the place to be compared to the many small isolated rural communities.

Been to Vancouver, very cool place. A little too humid and wet for me. Calgary seems like Denver as far as a city at the boarder between mountain and plains. Definitely want to visit there and Edmonton one day soon. A smaller, slightly more cold version of Denver sounds neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We made it through a whole Monday without any posts...? Oh god, I killed the thread didn't I? :ohdear:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I didn't do any work today due to laptop issues, rip

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

I didn't do any work today due to laptop issues, rip

Same but because my background check hasn't passed yet.

Maybe they found my forums account...

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Here's some Monday content: I can't remember if it was in this thread or another IT thread (or maybe even a non-IT thread), but someone mentioned Denmark looking for tech workers the last time I mentioned wanting an EU passport... if that person could PM me, I would be appreciative.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

We had a huge storm and a tree fell down in my lawn so I’ve been pretending to be a lumberjack. It’s a much better life than IT.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

We had a huge storm and a tree fell down in my lawn so I’ve been pretending to be a lumberjack. It’s a much better life than IT.

post ur axe

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Methanar posted:

post ur axe

Chainsaw. It’s 2019.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

Chainsaw. It’s 2019.

post ur chain

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Methanar posted:

post ur axe

wow, rude

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I had an interview for a CIO position today where the guy doing the interviewing said they were really happy with their current CIO and they are looking to go from a "B" to a "B+."

:what:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Internet Explorer posted:

I had an interview for a CIO position today where the guy doing the interviewing said they were really happy with their current CIO and they are looking to go from a "B" to a "B+."

They are using a valid tactic on the wrong side of the situation.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Doesn't look like you really did any chaining there friend.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

I said your chain not your wood

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Well.. It's definitely not DNS!

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Bonzo posted:

Well.. It's definitely not DNS!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

klosterdev posted:

😂😂😂😂😂

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Virigoth posted:

Doesn't look like you really did any chaining there friend.

He had to put in a ticket for someone to show him how to start it. 2 business day SLAs, am I right?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

He had to put in a ticket for someone to show him how to start it. 2 business day SLAs, am I right?

For real. This is l1 work. Get gas and put in chainsaw unlike me who thought it was broke all day.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

THIS IS AFFECTING DESTRUCTION!!!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

THIS IS AFFECTING DESTRUCTION!!!

New thread title.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sounds like someone has concerns about you taking their job in a year or two.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think it's more a politics thing. Current person has been doing a good job, he just hasn't played enough politics and some of the big-wigs think they can find someone who can kiss their asses better.

Like the person I was interviewing straight up said, he's fine, does fine at conflict resolution, their network runs great, end users like the IT department, etc., etc., he just hasn't "converted his detractors."

Either they have no idea the shitstorm they are about to unleash, or they caught the guy doing some real bad poo poo that they don't want to disclose.

The money is $$$$ but I'm just not even sure I want to walk into whatever the hell is going on.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

That's a tiny branch you coward

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I think it's more a politics thing. Current person has been doing a good job, he just hasn't played enough politics and some of the big-wigs think they can find someone who can kiss their asses better.

Like the person I was interviewing straight up said, he's fine, does fine at conflict resolution, their network runs great, end users like the IT department, etc., etc., he just hasn't "converted his detractors."

Either they have no idea the shitstorm they are about to unleash, or they caught the guy doing some real bad poo poo that they don't want to disclose.

The money is $$$$ but I'm just not even sure I want to walk into whatever the hell is going on.

I don't see the upside either. You are walking into an org who wants to replace the CIO who is doing well. Sounds like a nightmare. If they would do this to the current CIO they will do it with you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sickening posted:

I don't see the upside either. You are walking into an org who wants to replace the CIO who is doing well. Sounds like a nightmare. If they would do this to the current CIO they will do it with you.

What do you think the odds are of the first day at that job involving an awkward meeting with the current CIO in his office and the words "this is your replacement, you're fired" from your new boss?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What do you think the odds are of the first day at that job involving an awkward meeting with the current CIO in his office and the words "this is your replacement, you're fired" from your new boss?

Given the "OH HEY WE'LL SHOW YOU OUT THE BACK DOOR" that happened today, fairly high.

There's pretty much 0 chance I'd take the job, but I'll go through the motions for practice.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Welcome to Edmonton Methanar. We should do a meetup sometime and this time hopefully I won't be waylaid by jackassery.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh good, my manager is back from vacation. Which means his daily emails full of generic “inspirational” grandma on Facebook level garbage are back too.

I should just make an Outlook rule to send them straight to the deleted folder.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 18, 2019

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Oh drat you're here now. We'll certainly have to get drinks/lunch. Maybe we can actually get all 3 of us this time :cheers:

Antioch posted:

Welcome to Edmonton Methanar. We should do a meetup sometime and this time hopefully I won't be waylaid by jackassery.

Yes that means you too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Why are shared drives even a thing?
Why can't I just have a GPO make shortcuts or publish all the paths on the intranet instead?

So much time is wasted just trying to explain to users that their "I: drive" is not the same as everyone else's "I:" drive. Also just trying to figure out what the gently caress they're talking about when they say "I can't access the X: Y: and Z: drives" because all the loving shares are hidden and I have no goddamn idea what folder they're supposed to have mapped (and neither do they.)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Why can't I just have a GPO make shortcuts or publish all the paths on the intranet instead?

So much time is wasted just trying to explain to users that their "I: drive" is not the same as everyone else's "I:" drive. Also just trying to figure out what the gently caress they're talking about when they say "I can't access the X: Y: and Z: drives" because all the loving shares are hidden and I have no goddamn idea what folder they're supposed to have mapped (and neither do they.)

I went through this at a previous job and set up a demo of (I think it was) DFS on the file server with role based access control. They decided it was too complicated so we went back to the spreadsheet.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Undocumented, non-standard networked drives are the loving worst and I hate them so much.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I went through this at a previous job and set up a demo of (I think it was) DFS on the file server with role based access control. They decided it was too complicated so we went back to the spreadsheet.

We have this to a degree, but things get all sorts of hosed up because nothing is actually documented and departments have split and combined all over the place and there's constant turnover so nobody knows what the gently caress they need access to, or where poo poo is, and just put whatever they want where ever they want and demand that other people be given access to that place. So you wind up with one department director that has their GPO map their "I: drive" plus a login script JUST FOR THEM BECAUSE THEY'RE loving SPECIAL, that maps like 8 other department's "I: drives" to different letters and now they're running around telling everyone that the document they need is in the "Q:" drive and all of a sudden there's a wave of people from 6 different departments that are all pissed and demanding "Q:" drive access.

:fuckoff: YOU ALL HAVE AN "S:" USE THAT.
"S: is for sharing, and sharing is caring."

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

My favorite part of the crypto rebuild we just went through was putting DFS and RBE in place. One file server replaced ...10 I think. No more branch servers. No more having to remember what godawful 6 letter idiot code some moron from 8 years ago named the Richmond server.

Side note: Why did we as a people decide that 3 letter codes were good enough for server names? This is some holdover from the bad old days of like, DOS and ARPANET or something isn't it? What's wrong with files.domain or something? Why is it always SER-MHT-DDM-01-W-SAV-01.domain? I get wanting a descriptive name for stuff but it's not like there's something stopping you from using DNS to make things actually readable.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’ll take 3 letters over loving Mordor, Zeus, Alderaan any day of the week

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

George H.W. oval office posted:

Oh god yes. My current boss believes in obfuscation of servers by picking random names like this. I won't change his mind though, even though a simple dns query will return every DC in the domain and their names.

That time is over though, acquiring company has a naming standard in place, which will make life easier.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Pouring out a 40 for whatever google engineer deleted Google Calendar this morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Antioch posted:

Side note: Why did we as a people decide that 3 letter codes were good enough for server names? This is some holdover from the bad old days of like, DOS and ARPANET or something isn't it? What's wrong with files.domain or something? Why is it always SER-MHT-DDM-01-W-SAV-01.domain? I get wanting a descriptive name for stuff but it's not like there's something stopping you from using DNS to make things actually readable.

We have a code system for individual servers, but services all have plain english cname records.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Holy poo poo this