Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Guillermus posted:

Unreal Championship 2 is a console UT2k3 and lol at playing that. Is like wanting to play Unreal 3 nowadays.

UC1 was the console 2k3 version. UC2 was the sick Egyptian themed melee brawler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FOpCJ4YwtI

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mahoning posted:

I finally pulled the trigger on Witcher 3 Complete since it was on sale for $15. I’m a few hours in, any tips or tricks for a beginner?

Challenge everyone at Gwent everywhere you go.

I'm serious.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

TheScott2K posted:

just LoL if your GamePass sub isn't a semi-continuous stream of $1 trials

I bought my Xbox One S back in February, used all the free trials and stuff for Game Pass and Gold. I then let them expire for a bit and then got a 3-month for $1 deal. Then another $3 Game Pass deal came along which stacked, and now I've just converted to Ultimate for a $1, which expires at the end of August. So I've basically managed to get six months worth of Gold/Game Pass for less than $5. Which is just as well because the Xbox comes third to my PC and PS4.

(This is my first ever Xbox (always been a PC/Sony guy up until now), which I bought to play catch-up with a few franchises, but the whole Ultimate thing, as well as Play Anywhere and Cross Platform Play, is making me consider switching allegiance to Scarlett for the next generation, especially if Sony continue dithering with cross-platform multiplayer. I always typically went with Sony because the PlayStation had more interesting exclusives and nearly all the Xbox exclusives came to PC anyway, but I'm now at a point where things like Play Anywhere and Cross Platform are probably going to be more enticing features for the next cycle than the ability to play The Last of Us 2.)

"Zaa Boogie posted:

I'm gonna own both systems anyway so if I can have 2 years of the service on Scarlett for a pittance then why not.

Yeah, it's not as if the XB1 and your existing accounts are going to stop working the day Scarlett comes out. There's going to be at least a 12-24 month crossover period where they're still releasing almost everything for XB1 anyway, so extending Ultimate to 2022 sounds like a smart move if it's something you would have done without the appearance of Scarlett anyway.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Last gen versions when next gen is around are pretty much always terrible, I don't want to play games at "Dragon Age Inquisition for 360" performance level.

Also, PS4 has cross platform play with PC as well and Play Anwhere is a small subset of titles.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 16, 2019

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I added a bunch of games to my download queue the other night and went to bed. Now they are showing as installed in my Games folder but when I try to launch them I see a "Make sure you're signed in to Xbox Live, and look for it in Microsoft Store. (0x80270254)"

When I select "Manage games and add-ons," I see that the game is installed, and can even prompt the uninstall option, but can't launch the game.

Anyone else ever see this? What gives?

e: Uninstalling them doesn't actually free up any space. I guess the system turned off due to idle rather than finishing the downloads and then turning off and just populated the games as being done? Ugh.

Hopefully this 71gb Forza Horizon 4 file is at least partially downloaded. Gonna retry that once The Master Chief Collection finishes.

e2: The files are indeed partly downloaded. That's kinda lame. I wish the console wouldn't turn off to idle while stuff's downloading. :argh:

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 18, 2019

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Soul Glo posted:

e2: The files are indeed partly downloaded. That's kinda lame. I wish the console wouldn't turn off to idle while stuff's downloading. :argh:

I had this happen tonight as I was doing the network transfer to a new X. It is very annoying.

On a related note, I currently have an Xbone Elite, One S and now the X. I was wondering if it's worth swapping the hybrid hard drive from the Elite to the S and if there would be decent if not significant performance improvement? (I have a buddy who I could sell the Elite to for like $50).

I've built PCs in the past and modded the original Xbox so not too concerned with the potential work involved, rather if it's A) be possible or my Live username be blacklisted and B) it's worth the trouble based on performance improvement via HD and probably doing weird reformatting and BIOS stuff

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Soul Glo posted:

I wish the console wouldn't turn off to idle while stuff's downloading. :argh:

You can change the power save settings so the console never turns off at all. It's what I did when I got the console and setup Gears 4 and Red Dead 2 for download along with some others which I knew would take a couple of days.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

I added a bunch of games to my download queue the other night and went to bed. Now they are showing as installed in my Games folder but when I try to launch them I see a "Make sure you're signed in to Xbox Live, and look for it in Microsoft Store. (0x80270254)"

When I select "Manage games and add-ons," I see that the game is installed, and can even prompt the uninstall option, but can't launch the game.

Anyone else ever see this? What gives?

e: Uninstalling them doesn't actually free up any space. I guess the system turned off due to idle rather than finishing the downloads and then turning off and just populated the games as being done? Ugh.

Hopefully this 71gb Forza Horizon 4 file is at least partially downloaded. Gonna retry that once The Master Chief Collection finishes.

Microsoft seemingly broke pausing downloads at some point, if you go to the store and press the install button it'll resume the download like it's supposed to.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

sticksy posted:

I had this happen tonight as I was doing the network transfer to a new X. It is very annoying.

On a related note, I currently have an Xbone Elite, One S and now the X. I was wondering if it's worth swapping the hybrid hard drive from the Elite to the S and if there would be decent if not significant performance improvement? (I have a buddy who I could sell the Elite to for like $50).

I've built PCs in the past and modded the original Xbox so not too concerned with the potential work involved, rather if it's A) be possible or my Live username be blacklisted and B) it's worth the trouble based on performance improvement via HD and probably doing weird reformatting and BIOS stuff

just get a 1TB samsung SSD in an external enclosure. it'll be faster than voiding your warranty for a lovely SSHD

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

sticksy posted:

Replacing the internal drive is pretty easy, I have a Crucial MX500 1 TB SSD in mine. And no, you won't get blacklisted or anything.

Laserface posted:

just get a 1TB samsung SSD in an external enclosure. it'll be faster than voiding your warranty for a lovely SSHD

Better yet: Get the enclosure and SSD separately - cheaper, and you have a drive you can use more flexibly. Also, don't pay extra for the Samsung name.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Where do I find the function that automatically turns my input to the Xbone input when I turn it on?

The Switch does it by default, and I think the Xbone did as well until I hosed it up messing with options.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Fly Ricky posted:

Where do I find the function that automatically turns my input to the Xbone input when I turn it on?

The Switch does it by default, and I think the Xbone did as well until I hosed it up messing with options.

Pretty sure the Xbox doesn't do the HDMI-CEC input change thing, so unless your TV has some kind of auto-sensing option, you're out of luck. The console doesn't provide the functionality.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Fly Ricky posted:

There isn't one. It sucks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Microsoft opted for a loving IR blaster instead of CEC. Hopefully Scarlett fixes that.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Cojawfee posted:

Microsoft opted for a loving IR blaster instead of CEC. Hopefully Scarlett fixes that.

TheScott2K posted:

There isn't one. It sucks.

Lambert posted:

Pretty sure the Xbox doesn't do the HDMI-CEC input change thing, so unless your TV has some kind of auto-sensing option, you're out of luck. The console doesn't provide the functionality.

Lame.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm still floored the X still has the passthrough and doesn't support CEC

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
https://twitter.com/xboxgamepass/status/1141329112276992000?s=21

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Oh man, I was hoping for Rare Replay. This is pretty sweet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rare Replay felt inevitable and so wanted I'm surprised a bit its just dumped here next to Resident Evil Revelations, a Xbox port of a 360 version of a 3DS game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My favorite part of replay was finding out how many incredibly bad games rare made pre nintendo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Real hurthling! posted:

My favorite part of replay was finding out how many incredibly bad games rare made pre nintendo

most of their nintendo-era games are also bad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they're worse!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

full, comprehensive list of rare games that are actually worth playing:

snak rattle 'n roll
the second donkey kong country
blast corps
viva pinata
banjo-kazooie: nuts and bolts

though i do appreciate rare replay for allowing me to play a zx spectrum game for the first time and making me realize how much better we had it over here in the 80s then they had it in the uk lmfao

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That list doesn't have RC Pro AM on it so I'm not reading anything else you post dude.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
lol epic troll having nuts and bolts only dude. hahaha. gently caress you

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

American McGay posted:

That list doesn't have RC Pro AM on it so I'm not reading anything else you post dude.

rc pro-am is good but consistently escapes my mind

heeheex2 posted:

lol epic troll having nuts and bolts only dude. hahaha. gently caress you

nuts and bolts loving rules, unlike collectathon platformers which are almost universally dogshit no matter which developer makes them

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Nut and Bolts was the best game on the 360

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

though i do appreciate rare replay for allowing me to play a zx spectrum game for the first time and making me realize how much better we had it over here in the 80s then they had it in the uk lmfao

Same. I can't believe people used to pay money for the Sabreman games.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DariusLikewise posted:

Nut and Bolts was the best game on the 360

i wouldn't go quite that far but it's top-tier for sure, as is the first viva pinata. i'm sad that right when rare were making some of the best games they've ever made, microsoft decided they'd rather have them work on fuckin avatars and kinect horse poo poo instead.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
So we're just gonna sit around and act like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were actually bad

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
they’re just trolling intel. :jerkbag:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

So we're just gonna sit around and act like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were actually bad

they were great in the context of when they came out but they are really goddamn rough to play today. i tried going back to goldeneye and just couldn't. those controls :whitewater:

considering i was posting about rare games worth playing, i did not include those two because in all honestly unless you're nostalgic for them, i don't think they are worth playing now. i really cannot imagine someone playing them for the first time today and thinking 'man this is awesome!'.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You'll be saying that to save face after i mercilessly own you in both games leaving you feeling like you picked up a klobb

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

they were great in the context of when they came out but they are really goddamn rough to play today. i tried going back to goldeneye and just couldn't. those controls :whitewater:

considering i was posting about rare games worth playing, i did not include those two because in all honestly unless you're nostalgic for them, i don't think they are worth playing now. i really cannot imagine someone playing them for the first time today and thinking 'man this is awesome!'.

That's why Microsoft had Rare make perfectly reworked controls for the 360 versions of Perfect Dark and Goldeneye to take advantage of having two whole analog sticks on each controller. Only nobody gets to play the Goldeneye one as Nintendo refused to license the rights. The 360 port of Perfect Dark plays great though!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
New Timesplitters game when

quote:

On August 15, 2018, it was announced that THQ Nordic have acquired the rights to the franchise

Ooo spicy

edit wait that's the 8chan ama guys :whitewater:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

New Timesplitters game when

Ooo spicy

edit wait that's the 8chan ama guys :whitewater:

fwiw thq nordic has seemed to have done right by the franchises they've acquired so v:shobon:v

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dark siders diablo clone

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Lambert posted:

Better yet: Get the enclosure and SSD separately - cheaper, and you have a drive you can use more flexibly. Also, don't pay extra for the Samsung name.

This is exactly what I was suggesting but I can see how you might think otherwise :)

just dont buy a cheap enclosure. I leave my Xbonex in hibernate/standby mode and yeah leaving the cheap external enclosure in always on mode seemed to fry the enclosures Power circuit. Any time you accessed the disk it would cause it to disconnect from the xbox.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Fly Ricky posted:

this can depend on your TV. the Xbox doesnt support HDMI-CEC but I have absolutely had my xbox turn on when i change to the correct input. I turned it off because sometimes I like to leave the xbox on while I go watch youtube/TV and it was annoying.

you can also configure the xbox to IR blast your TV but that is mostly an on/off thing not an input thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Laserface posted:

This is exactly what I was suggesting but I can see how you might think otherwise :)

Ah, I see. The way I was reading your post you were suggesting him getting one of those external Samsung SSDs - which aren't terrific value compared to buying things separately.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 20, 2019