Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Time posted:

It’s also 5-0d by 6 or 7 people this week. It has a good u/w matchup among others, and I think right now u/w might be the best non-hogaak deck

u/w has been the second best deck in modern for a very long time tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Sampatrick posted:

u/w has been the second best deck in modern for a very long time tbh

Since war, for sure. Day 2 gp data from decks with more than 200 matches played in the last year has it solidly in the top 5 even though it hasn’t cashed any events. It’s good, definitely. It’s also why I think looting should stay and hogaak should go, because I love having almost a bye against Phoenix when playing it

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Time posted:

It’s also 5-0d by 6 or 7 people this week. It has a good u/w matchup among others, and I think right now u/w might be the best non-hogaak deck

Where do you see this now that we only get 2 similar lists a week?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Where do you see this now that we only get 2 similar lists a week?

People playing goblins and posting their 5-0s on twitter and discords

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

well, i guess Lazotep Plating might start making a lot of sideboards

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

narset's reversal is way better there

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I lust for a meta where Narset's Reversal is 4x in the main of every blue deck.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Leyline of the Void confirmed.

Brought to us by Caleb Durward.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Gotta have the ultimate weapon on standby in the new eternal format so that we can visit the graveyard in many more sets to come.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

odiv posted:

Leyline of the Void confirmed.

Brought to us by Caleb Durward.

Me: https://youtu.be/85HSayVAC6U?t=27

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Does red leyline trigger after each storm copy is on the stack or between them?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Planar Cleansing

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ItBreathes posted:

Does red leyline trigger after each storm copy is on the stack or between them?

well, I believe each storm copy is placed on the stack simultaneously so it would be like

Grapeshot >> leyline trigger >> storm trigger >> grapeshot storm copies >>> leyline storm copies

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

If spells can gain lifelink, then this should give spells you control hexproof from blue and black just to help push through the big green dude they're countering.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That has gotta be one of the best Dispel variants of all time.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

That green card is pretty nutty, and I’m pretty glad they are realizing you need a shitload of value at a good cost to make that effect playable

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Holy poo poo it's an Uncommon?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Nice to see Thragtusk back in Standard

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

whydirt posted:

That card is so much worse than Thragtusk lmao

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Sampatrick posted:

You’re not totally wrong. It is harder to cast than OG Thragtusk due to the double green.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

This fucks Storm over very hard, yeah?

its a speedbump but not a lock. they can still make a ton of mana and draw a ton of cards, and if they have echoing truth or some other bounce spell in their deck, they can bounce it at the end and kill you (although they do take 2 damage every time they cast gifts). or just cast empty the warrens and kill you next turn.

in general you want your anti-combo cards to stop the actual broken thing their doing, not the kill condition at the end, because the broken thing often lets them find their 1-of answer, or generates so much value that you still end up behind on board

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

its actually better, since the average card in a standard deck will be more powerful than a vanilla 3/3

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

whydirt posted:

whydirt posted:

You’re not totally wrong. It is harder to cast than OG Thragtusk due to the double green.

:psyboom:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

whydirt posted:

Harder to cast, doesn't gain 5 life, isn't crazy tempo advantageous

Idk, Swagdaddy this is not

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

This seems playable in an infect sideboard?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

little munchkin posted:

its actually better, since the average card in a standard deck will be more powerful than a vanilla 3/3

I can't tell if I'm being memed on or not.

The strong part about Thragtusk was that you always got your dude, which you don't with this guy, the dude you got was always a way to pressure the opponent or kill planeswalkers or block again against aggro, which is not true of this, it gained five life, which this does not, and uh yeah. Much worse than Thragtusk. The memes have gone too far.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Thragtusk's big things were blanking Vapor Snag and comboing with Resto Angel to gain a billion life.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah you can't even flicker the dude it's not even a remotely comparable card

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I love protection. I am glad its back.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

I love protection. I am glad its back.

I know we're less than 24 hours into spoilers but I have to admit I'm a little surprised that Wizards doesn't seem afraid to put some power and complexity into a core set. I wonder how much cross-chatter there was between the people who worked on this set and the MH1 team. Still a lot of cards to see though, maybe today was all of the cool stuff.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Is Blightbeetle better or worse than Stony Silence against specifically Hardened Scales Affinity

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Are they bringing back Regeneration next?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sampatrick posted:

Is Blightbeetle better or worse than Stony Silence against specifically Hardened Scales Affinity

Way better I think, at least if you can hit it on turn 2. All of their creatures are 0/0s except for the 1/1 Overseer, as I think the beetle prevents the "~ comes into play with X +1/+1 counters" clause on all of those creatures.. Game 1 they have to kill you with Inkmoth beats, post-board they have to get Dismember or some other removal spell.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lone Goat posted:

That made me realize that they've stopped putting the "...by spells or abilities" on targeted spells with uncounterability. Did they do this a while back and I just didn't notice it? Or was there some rules change that I missed?

I assume it still ultimately works the same way, otherwise you'd have "uncounterable" spells able to resolve through hexproof.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Thought Distortion being a literal Mind Twist is a great reference for a one of sideboard card in the control mirror if control decks can exist in Planeswalkers.format

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

That Beetle is nasty. Nissa still works though. How does it interact with Krasis?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

That Beetle is nasty. Nissa still works though. How does it interact with Krasis?

Still draw your cards, it just dies immediately.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

Still draw your cards, it just dies immediately.

I knew it drew cards, I wasn't sure if enters with = put on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Any particular reason the red leyline is a new one? and what are the chances we get the original blue one?