Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Dr. Sleep trailer looks pretty bleak if you ask me. I got "TV Movie" vibes from it and can't for the life of me think of a way to make a good movie from that book. Seems to me all it potentially has going for it is being "The Shining 2" but people are gonna be disappointed when they learn how tenuous the plot is to the original.

I never thought Shining was a movie asking for a sequel but if you had to do it, focus more on Danny's alcoholism and mental health and maybe give him a family/small child of his own that might be in peril.

He could work at an amusement park. A haunted amusement park. Or work for a revivalist and learn that the afterlife is just an ant farm but with the people as ants. But no, he kills people in a nursing home instead. His psychic power is dragging around ghosts from the Overlook which his dad kindly blew the gently caress up years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Skratchez posted:

But no, he kills people in a nursing home instead. His psychic power is dragging around ghosts from the Overlook which his dad kindly blew the gently caress up years ago.

I mean...the more I think on it, The Shining seems among the books King has written that aren't even that open for a sequel; let alone begging for one. I suppose there's some interesting things you could explore with grown up Danny but the book didn't really do it that well and, for some reason, focused on vampires. It barely read like a sequel at all as I remember but I don't recall too much about the book to begin with. I remember not outright hating it but that's faint praise.

It'd like...i dunno...Cujo 2. Who needs it? A sequel to Pet Semetary is there but you'd have to take anew angle on it somehow.

Books I can think of by King worthy or a sequel? Salem's Lot,...maybe Christine...? There's really none to be honest.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I mean...the more I think on it, The Shining seems among the books King has written that aren't even that open for a sequel; let alone begging for one. I suppose there's some interesting things you could explore with grown up Danny but the book didn't really do it that well and, for some reason, focused on vampires. It barely read like a sequel at all as I remember but I don't recall too much about the book to begin with. I remember not outright hating it but that's faint praise.

It'd like...i dunno...Cujo 2. Who needs it? A sequel to Pet Semetary is there but you'd have to take anew angle on it somehow.

Books I can think of by King worthy or a sequel? Salem's Lot,...maybe Christine...? There's really none to be honest.

Salem's Lot desperately wants a sequel but vampires have been done to dea--wait poo poo. I'm just going to pretend that From Dusk til Dawn was the sequel and the survivors of Salem had turned to crime to finance their escape to Mexico only to find they were too late.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Salem's Lot got its sequel as a significant chunk of one of the Dark Tower books.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dark Tower books are one of the few things I haven't read by King.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Dark Tower books are one of the few things I haven't read by King.

You know what you have to do

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

You know what you have to do

Handcuffs, audiobooks all queued up and a headboard made of pure evil.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Has King ever talked about what inspired him to write Dr. Sleep (other than insane amounts of money)? It's weird to come back to The Shining 40 years later, and it's even weirder to do so and then write a book that's only tangentially related to the original. It feels like he turned in the first draft and his editor said "this kind of sucks" so he grafted on all of the Shining connections after the fact.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

Has King ever talked about what inspired him to write Dr. Sleep (other than insane amounts of money)? It's weird to come back to The Shining 40 years later, and it's even weirder to do so and then write a book that's only tangentially related to the original. It feels like he turned in the first draft and his editor said "this kind of sucks" so he grafted on all of the Shining connections after the fact.

Not that I know of. That's a good question and your explanation actually makes a lot of sense because Dr. Sleep hardly feels like a follow up at all. The movie using call backs to Kubrick looks like it's going to backfire spectacularly and only invite unfavorable comparisons to a far superior film.

In terms of sequels, it seems like King wrote stories with further work specifically in mind (Dark Tower, Desperation) as part of a plan. His best books don't leave a lot hanging out there, which may be in part due to his frequently god awful endings, but even his best stuff shuts the door rather hard. I mean, what are you gonna do, The Greener Mile? Delores Claiborne Again? Rose Even More Madder?

Dumb and cheesy as it may sound, looking through his bibliography, the only other book besides Christine and Pet Semetary I could see that might warrant another sequel would actually be IT since that story is written as being a generational evil occurrence every, what, 27 years was it? Since IT's cyclical maybe you can swap some poo poo out and tell a slightly different story somehow.

You could do away with the clown and update IT for the cell phone, laptop, streaming generation and replace the traditional, universal scary totems and tropes (Mummy, wolfman, zombies) with things that Gen Y and millineals found scary as kids and that scare them now as adults, recycling IT for a new era. Not sure what those might be or how to bring anything fresh to it beyond swapping out monsters and settings but it's a thought.

I dunno.

Maybe someone could find the time portal from 11/22/63 and go back to stop 9/11, which might be interesting if written well.

^^^I think that's my idea for a King sequel now that I think about it.^^^

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 16, 2019

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
A follow up or sidequel to The Stand could work

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

High Warlord Zog posted:

Crossed my mind actually.

But all I can picture is a Fallout game.

Something exploring other characters in other parts of the world could be interesting. Like the super flu in Australia or Africa or something. Any more, I don't trust King to write it though.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
11/22/63 was all about how time couldn't be changed. And 9/11 was caused incidentally by Roland and the gang with black 13, IIRC.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

High Warlord Zog posted:

I'd like to see him farm out The Dark Tower to someone else for its sequel. And no, not that loving movie.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

BiggerBoat posted:

You could do away with the clown and update IT for the cell phone, laptop, streaming generation and replace the traditional, universal scary totems and tropes (Mummy, wolfman, zombies) with things that Gen Y and millineals found scary as kids and that scare them now as adults, recycling IT for a new era. Not sure what those might be or how to bring anything fresh to it beyond swapping out monsters and settings but it's a thought.

There were a lot of clues that the Turtle is manipulating / influencing the kids in much the same way It manipulated Bob Gray/Pennywise or any of its other agents.

While there's essentially a cosmic proxy war happening, it's implied that neither side is actually "good." Georgie's deja vu with the turtle wax can right before he's killed, the losers club's inexplicable good fortune and childlessness, being able to do sex magic, their memories being edited, etc. They show characteristics of It's pawns, suggesting an "Anti-It" is driving them - but the manipulator's characterization changes substantially by the end of the book (and in other books.) Instead of a thing that would sacrifice Georgie to motivate Bill in a personal grudge, he's just a kind benefactor.

But It never addressed what forgotten thing transpired between Georgie and that character, or how the Losers Club would react to discovering that they were manipulated as child soldiers. That's the direction I'd take an It sequel in, anyway.

moths fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 16, 2019

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I just saw the trailer for Dr. Sleep. I'm kinda surprised it leaned into the Kubrick movie's imagery so hard given that King reportedly hates it so much. But then again I guess that's what audiences would be expecting.

I wonder how old footage they'll use versus how much they'll need to recreate.

I'll probably see it since I love the original so much, but I'm not as excited as I am for It Chapter 2.

deoju fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 18, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lester Shy posted:

Yeah, I think even in the book's introduction.

Basically every time he would do a book reading, people would ask about what certain characters are up to after the novel, like Fran and Stu from The Stand, etc. The most common one was Danny from The Shining, and I guess it was an interesting enough question to start writing a story around.

He talked about Dr. Sleep publicly during the writing, and mentioned the convalescence home, the helping people passing on idea, Danny's alcoholism and mistakes he's made, but never talked about the RV vampires. It feels like he wrote the Danny plot, got to him being sober and an adult figuring things out (roughly the first 25-33% of the book), and then figured out that he should do the Abra character, and then figured he needed RV vampires as an antagonist.

Shoulda just made a novella about Danny being a gently caress-up, Steve, and left it at that. Maybe end it with him meeting Abra, if you have to.

It's a bad book and the movie will probably also be bad.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, I think even in the book's introduction.

Basically every time he would do a book reading, people would ask about what certain characters are up to after the novel, like Fran and Stu from The Stand, etc. The most common one was Danny from The Shining, and I guess it was an interesting enough question to start writing a story around.

He talked about Dr. Sleep publicly during the writing, and mentioned the convalescence home, the helping people passing on idea, Danny's alcoholism and mistakes he's made, but never talked about the RV vampires. It feels like he wrote the Danny plot, got to him being sober and an adult figuring things out (roughly the first 25-33% of the book), and then figured out that he should do the Abra character, and then figured he needed RV vampires as an antagonist.

Shoulda just made a novella about Danny being a gently caress-up, Steve, and left it at that. Maybe end it with him meeting Abra, if you have to.

It's a bad book and the movie will probably also be bad.

I mean, he did a little research into RVs and correctly realized that anyone who owned an EarthRover would be an inhuman monster.

But a little bit of knowledge

At some point he must have done some more gun research since deciding that a full auto is absolutely unusable by mortal man as well. The FN Scar is correctly identified as the tool of tools in Mr Mercedes: Massacre Under Arc Sodium.

I think the knot has quite a bit of pathos just in that they're horrible and know it and don't know how not to be. They can't go around drinking cow emotions and I seem to remember a lot of them were outsiders to begin with so empathizing with the sheeple they eat was a bit of a stretch but not so far that they couldn't figure it out eventually. All having their individual "Zorg from the 5th Element" moments of looking at the camera and saying "I know"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Skratchez posted:

I mean, he did a little research into RVs and correctly realized that anyone who owned an EarthRover would be an inhuman monster.

But a little bit of knowledge

At some point he must have done some more gun research since deciding that a full auto is absolutely unusable by mortal man as well. The FN Scar is correctly identified as the tool of tools in Mr Mercedes: Massacre Under Arc Sodium.

I think the knot has quite a bit of pathos just in that they're horrible and know it and don't know how not to be. They can't go around drinking cow emotions and I seem to remember a lot of them were outsiders to begin with so empathizing with the sheeple they eat was a bit of a stretch but not so far that they couldn't figure it out eventually. All having their individual "Zorg from the 5th Element" moments of looking at the camera and saying "I know"

A bit of pedantry: King did not do research on the novel. He credits his assistant, by name, who did the research for him, and admits that he may have gotten things wrong in the writing.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

A bit of pedantry: King did not do research on the novel. He credits his assistant, by name, who did the research for him, and admits that he may have gotten things wrong in the writing.

Right, I read the afterword, good point. But I meant he was right on both counts. Someone who owned both an EarthRover and an FN Scar would be like two degrees from the antichrist.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I've always wanted a sequel to Needful Things. It's the first full length King I read

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

deoju posted:

I just saw the trailer for Dr. Sleep. I'm kinda surprised it leaned into the Kubrick movie's imagery so hard given that King reportedly hates it so much. But then again I guess that's what audiences would be expecting.

Same, but King's dislike of the film didn't enter into it for me so much as openly inviting comparisons to a bona fide cinematic classic. It's like cutting in scenes from Batman 89 or Superman 78 into Batman v Superman or something.

I can't for the life of me see a way that Dr. Sleep is going to be good and the book it's based on gives me even less hope.

How bad did Pet Semetary tank?

*googles*

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=petsematary2019.htm

Pretty bad but over twice its budget.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't for the life of me see a way that Dr. Sleep is going to be good and the book it's based on gives me even less hope.

Mike Flanagan is why it could be good. Of his movies I've only seen Oculus and Hush, which both were good). but Haunting of Hill House might be my all-time favorite horror related mini-series/series. The fact he succeed in doing this by not doing a direct adaption of the one of the greatest horror novels, but instead he just let himself be inspired by it, is freaking amazing. Also there are glimpses of a good book in Dr. Sleep (which I overall i didn't like). So I am 50/50 on it right now.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
If you haven't seen it, Flanagan's first feature Absentia is streaming for free on Tubi. It's a great little horror movie. A bit rough due to the tiny budget and high on jumpscares, but it's really dreadful (in a good way) and legitimately scary. I always like it when horror movies are set in a regular-rear end apartment rather than a big spooky mansion or a cabin in the woods.

https://tubitv.com/movies/460472/absentia

Edit: It's not actually his first feature. I dunno why I thought that.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 19, 2019

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Question for all of you: I've been watching some Stephen King adaptations lately, and I think it's about time I got into his actual written work. What would you folks recommend as one's first foray into the world of King?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

stratofarius posted:

Question for all of you: I've been watching some Stephen King adaptations lately, and I think it's about time I got into his actual written work. What would you folks recommend as one's first foray into the world of King?

The Dead Zone

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Depending on what you want for fiction:
Salem's Lot is a good, lighter read
Mr Mercedes is a good, supernatural-free detective story
IT is good, albeit with some really cringy parts
Tommyknockers if you want something more sci-fi that gets absurdly crazy as the story goes on
Revival or Duma Key are some of his better "modern" works
Night Shift and Skeleton Crew are both good short story compilations
Eye of the Dragon is YA but not bad

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

The Running Man/ The Long Walk.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

stratofarius posted:

Carrie, The Shining, and Salem's Lot.

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1141431819939852288

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

deoju posted:

I wonder how old footage they'll use versus how much they'll need to recreate.

I'll probably see it since I love the original so much, but I'm not as excited as I am for It Chapter 2.

The director said that in the scenes in the trailer, only the "blood elevator" was footage taken from the Kubrick version. Everything else was recreated.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

stratofarius posted:

This has come up several times in the thread.

If you peruse through it a bit, you're bound to hit this question within 4 or 5 pages

That said, it sort of depends on what you like. If you want something scary, creepy and unsettling, I'd say Pet Semetary, The Shining or maybe The Long Walk.

But honestly, a really good intro is one of his earlier short story collections so I'll go with "Skeleton Crew"

If you like that, you can branch out and for epic tomes go with IT or The Stand.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Keep in mind that almost everyone agrees that King was a much better writer back in the day, so pretty much anything from past 2000 won’t be a great start.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
1970’s King could do no wrong. His later stuff is good, but always seemed a compromise between taunt storytelling and at least one questionable at best plot choice. I guess cocaine gives you laser focus.

I’d pick something short and sweet. Carrie. Then Salem’s Lot. Followed by the Shining. Then blow the doors off with the Stand extended edition.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Attitude Indicator posted:

Keep in mind that almost everyone agrees that King was a much better writer back in the day, so pretty much anything from past 2000 won’t be a great start.

I looked and the only books I loved from King since 2000 are 11/22/63 and Revival. That said I only read the first 3 Dark Tower books (yes I need to read all of them, but I would have to start all over since I read them in the early 90's).

Just curious I loved The Talisman when I read it back the late 80's, what are the thoughts on it's sequel Black House? I just realized I haven't read that either.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Just curious I loved The Talisman when I read it back the late 80's, what are the thoughts on it's sequel Black House?

I disliked both of them.

April
Jul 3, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I looked and the only books I loved from King since 2000 are 11/22/63 and Revival. That said I only read the first 3 Dark Tower books (yes I need to read all of them, but I would have to start all over since I read them in the early 90's).

Just curious I loved The Talisman when I read it back the late 80's, what are the thoughts on it's sequel Black House? I just realized I haven't read that either.

I read the Talisman for the first time when I was 14, and even though I'm not a boy, I loved it in that way you do when a book feels like it was written for you. I've re-read it as an adult and still love it. I can't say whether it's just one of those things you love as a kid and never stop loving, or if it actually holds up as well. I like to think it does. Wolf!

(Sidenote: my husband read it for the first time in his 30's, and although it took him a while to really get into it, he also loved it by the end.)

Black House on the other hand..... I really dug a lot of The Dark Tower, but Black House felt like a very forced attempt to shoehorn The Talisman's mythology into DT, or vice versa, and it just didn't work as well.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I read the Talisman twice and listened to the audio book. It’s great and I like it as much now as I did when I was 15.

I struggled to get through Black House.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
As first King reads, The Shining and Misery are tight. It is a personal favourite but probably not your best into since it's really lengthy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, Misery is great.

I’ll be a Carrie nay-sayer. It’s one of the weaker Early King novels, and I think the DePalma adaptation is the best version of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Misery is terrifying because it could really happen.

Hobbling. :shudder: