Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I really hate that whenever I see "Jacohl" now I just think "Jacob Wohl"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gilgabot giveth and Gilgabot taketh away.... actually Dragoon's fine.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Final team is Red Mage / Dancer / Time Mage / Beastmaster. Interesting group.

Unsurprisingly, World 1 was a joke between Red Mage’s versatility and Time Mage being Time Mage, plus me being overleveled in case I rolled Knight for Brave Blade. Things should get more difficult soon, but I’ve got a team with lots of options so the rest of the game shouldn’t be too bad.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

Holy crap, this is actually a... good team

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Iceberg-Slim posted:

Holy crap, this is actually a... good team

Black Mage / Ninja is my favorite combo in the game. You just wreck everybody's day.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

And Geomancer to close it out. So...hm, can Black Mage / Berserker / Geomancer triple crown? Omega seems doable, if difficult, but I'm not seeing any obvious path for Shinryu short of power-leveling. How low level can I go for just NeoExdeath? I'm side-eying that "combined party levels under 100" challenge.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

And Geomancer to close it out. So...hm, can Black Mage / Berserker / Geomancer triple crown? Omega seems doable, if difficult, but I'm not seeing any obvious path for Shinryu short of power-leveling. How low level can I go for just NeoExdeath? I'm side-eying that "combined party levels under 100" challenge.

Berserk + spam Blink/other evasion abilities for Shinryu, maybe?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

You can always Berserk Shinryu with Wonder Wand and beat him to death that way.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Knight / Time Mage / Bard / Samurai

I haven't played this for a long time, so this should be fun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

God I wish I had a beastmaster so my blue mages could learn poo poo early.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

You can always Berserk Shinryu with Wonder Wand and beat him to death that way.

Right, but how do I deal with the physicals one shotting me? Just a revolving door of phoenix downs from my two non-berserkers?

Oh, that reminds me, during the fight with Archaeovis I noticed my berserkers would attack immediately on revival. Do they always do that or is it just random?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I got monk berserker ninja chemist for my first ever fiesta.

So far so good. Called it a day before the forest fire boss. Just got dual wield for zerky double death.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This game is really good and I'm glad to have the chance to play it. While having a thief start isn't exactly the kindest introduction this game could have made, everything since has been a lot of fun.

I obviously don't know the parlance but I hope I can explain where I've got to in this Thief, Time, Beast run:

After painfully fighting through the liquid fire segment and the bounty hunter by means of brute force regen and potion spam, I finally have access to the beastmaster.

Everyone's Level 18. Because of the huge leveling I used to get past the elephant, everyone's a thief level 5.

Shartz, currently a beastmaster, has 1 level in beastmaster and is close to his second. He wields a whip, which the game tells me is optimal, and it does seem to hit hard. I plan to take him all the way to level 4 so he can be my thief or possibly samurai later on but still catch mons.

Lenna, currently a time mage, has 3 levels in time mage. She has a fire rod. It's one of a small pile of fire rods I seem to have collected in this short time. I've only just been told about rod snapping. I haven't used it yet but I'll keep it in mind if a boss is starting to tick me off. Lenna has Gravity, which works so well with the beastmasters!

Galuf, currently a beastmaster, has 2 levels in time mage and just got his first in beastmaster. He's holding a mage masher. The beastmaster is my job with the biggest HP pool so far, and this guy can hit hard with that masher. My deal with him is that he hastes himself and goes right in if he's not colluding with shartz to steal mons.

Faris has been pure thief since she could be a thief, and that's because I'm inching her toward 6th thief level. She holds a moonring blade and her bar fills up really fast. That moonring hits hard and is worth hasting Faris for.

The group found some giant birds to catch which we then threw at an ifrit.

The time mage's regenerative abilities and buffs seem to work well with the thieves as well as the slightly tankier beastmasters. The captured animals seem pretty great as well, although it seems weird that I go through a whole fight to capture something that just becomes one move in one fight.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 18, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

First Triple Crown of the season. Rolled Winner Risk, then Job Faired my White Mage into a Bard.

Still waiting on confirmation of the Job Fair and also my victories, seems RK hasn't processed anything in a couple hours. C'mon, I want to see my next run already!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Some Guy TT posted:

Right, but how do I deal with the physicals one shotting me? Just a revolving door of phoenix downs from my two non-berserkers?

With Hermes Sandals on them, you should be able to outpace his attacks, and Phoenix Downs are trivially easy to buy in mass quantities in the late game. It's a bit RNG-reliant since you have to hope that Shinryu doesn't double-turn murder your non-Zerkers, but not too bad.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Some Guy TT posted:

Just FYI, if you manage to triplecrown and take screenshots of everything, you'd fulfill my donation toxx, so that's something if you go that route.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Fister Roboto posted:

Hey this is really cool and useful! But you forgot to check for ninjas and !throw for showing magic m, since ninja scrolls use it for damage. I went ahead and added lines for those and they seem to work alright.

https://pastebin.com/Ed25V3rj

Ooo, good catch. Thanks!

derra
Dec 29, 2012
https://twitter.com/D_Amagai/status/1140818172364374017

*Edit* And Chemist is my first job on Run 2.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just arrived at Walse because I've been amorphous all day.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

agradine posted:

Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Edit: I will also accept other Good Friends references, in case FRON is more your speed.

Edit2: Apparently I missed the first name-based :toxx:, nothing wrong with coming second!

Phew, alright, first run down. I'm moving apartments at the end of the week so I wanted to get this first run done before I get too busy to play for a bit. Here's another Butes for the pledge :)

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

Shinryu shouldn't be too bad with a pile of Phoenix Downs.

Omega ... is going to be very rough. I'm not sure how you're planning on taking him down easily with Black / Geo / Zerk x2. Two Zerkers means you can only toss two elixirs a round, which is a losing proposition.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Some Guy TT posted:

It'll be a pain in the dick to do with low levels, my strategy for whenever I have a Black Mage and no other way to stop his counters is to have three people reflected and bounce Thundaga off the whole party. Because the fourth party member takes damage, Omega won't counter. (At least it works on GBA.) It takes some luck and a shitload of Elixirs to pull off.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Also y'all are crazy, I'm only at Boatgamesh. I did have to work today though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

With Hermes Sandals on them, you should be able to outpace his attacks, and Phoenix Downs are trivially easy to buy in mass quantities in the late game. It's a bit RNG-reliant since you have to hope that Shinryu doesn't double-turn murder your non-Zerkers, but not too bad.

Without Coral Rings, you need a boatload of HP to survive the opening Tidal Wave. 9k is a nice number to start at.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Azza Bamboo posted:

The captured animals seem pretty great as well, although it seems weird that I go through a whole fight to capture something that just becomes one move in one fight.

Welcome to the Fiesta.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Bregor posted:

Also y'all are crazy, I'm only at Boatgamesh. I did have to work today though.

I had Bard Summoner AND Chemist. Anything remotely difficult was berserked, blinded if possible, and Golem was up. Only way it could have been worse for the enemies is if I could have stacked Blink on top.

Re: Tidal Wave - Not everyone has to survive it, you can come in with a mix of Coral and Hermes (or RNG scum for an Aegis proc) and toss Phoenix Downs, but again the problem is two Berserkers. He'd have to run one Coral one Hermes with that setup on his usable characters, and he could easily fall behind. You'd have to hope for really good RNG. Can't use Mirage Vests with those two - maybe come in Mini'ed for the evasion boost?

Having half your party uncontrollable is just rough for those two.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

I got monk berserker ninja chemist for my first ever fiesta.

So far so good. Called it a day before the forest fire boss. Just got dual wield for zerky double death.

Hey we have the exact same party :hf:

Have fun grinding for your everything!

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer

I am sure having a real time of it, tell ya what. anyone got any thing i should know for this, other than I am in for hell when I leave world 1?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Madtrixr posted:

Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer

I am sure having a real time of it, tell ya what. anyone got any thing i should know for this, other than I am in for hell when I leave world 1?

Dance will never break Sleep.

Don't sell your Ancient Sword; use it to proc Old on a bunch of stuff.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If I use thunder spellblade on a coral sword and attack something weak to lightning would it to extra-extra damage?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

First run down. I got a free win for Shinryu when one of my zerkers got voided instead of my summoner or white mage, and ned wasn't much harder since a single party curaga will recover from a Grand Cross. No way in hell I was going to manage Omega with a zerker, though. I'd rather hope for an easier job next run.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Bruceski posted:

If I use thunder spellblade on a coral sword and attack something weak to lightning would it to extra-extra damage?

No

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
The Run™ got uploaded to youtube for those that missed it.

Part 1 Part 2

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Without Coral Rings, you need a boatload of HP to survive the opening Tidal Wave. 9k is a nice number to start at.

That's a non-issue because with Hermes Sandals, you can Berserk Shinryu without him ever getting to cast Tidal Wave.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Hellioning posted:

First run down. I got a free win for Shinryu when one of my zerkers got voided instead of my summoner or white mage, and ned wasn't much harder since a single party curaga will recover from a Grand Cross. No way in hell I was going to manage Omega with a zerker, though. I'd rather hope for an easier job next run.

Yeah, it's possible to take out Omega with a zerk, but I sure wouldn't want to try it without the exact set of support jobs (Bard/WHM/Chem) I had on my first run.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So without a white mage or dancer, I'm stuck waiting until world 2 before I can confuse enemies, right?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Huh, so apparently #regadvance can give you an Earth job at the Fire Crystal. I won't complain, even if it means I'll have to endure White Mage/Berserker vs Byblos.

Lurdiak posted:

So without a white mage or dancer, I'm stuck waiting until world 2 before I can confuse enemies, right?

Red Mage, Bard, and Chemist can all set Confusion as well, and the Beastmaster's Control ability is very similar. The Geomancer can set it in certain circumstances, but usually not when you'd want it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Huh, so apparently #regadvance can give you an Earth job at the Fire Crystal. I won't complain, even if it means I'll have to endure White Mage/Berserker vs Byblos.

Yeah, the earth slot is taken entirely by the advance jobs, so the normal earth jobs get pushed to earlier slots.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Red Mage, Bard, and Chemist can all set Confusion as well, and the Beastmaster's Control ability is very similar. The Geomancer can set it in certain circumstances, but usually not when you'd want it.

I don't have any of those. :/ Oh well, I shouldn't complain, a blue mage is still a blue mage. Just wish I could get 'em a healing spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

This is my first 4JF, so I'd like some advice on this profoundly mediocre roll (as far as I can tell).
Advice like, 'Go ahead and job fair for chemist.'