Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.

since you're taking suggestions, (if I'm recalling the right part) the sound of the spray paint when designing the heraldry symbol sounded like harsh white noise to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The squeaky glass cleaning sound and wrench turning are a little loud

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The buzzer sound when trying to interact with something non interactable could be toned down a bit.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bisse posted:

The buzzer sound when trying to interact with something non interactable could be toned down a bit.

It also could be turned up, like an airhorn, to discourage people from trying to interact with things.

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

While there’s definitely some charm sprinkled throughout and much of the art is wonderful, it felt overly wordy as well as archaic in its design. Feels like “but is it fun?” and cutting to draw focus towards what works lost out to just cramming more in. Doubt I could make it through a whole game of this if this is close to being representative of the final vision; I found the looseness wearisome.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Boxcar posted:

While there’s definitely some charm sprinkled throughout and much of the art is wonderful, it felt overly wordy as well as archaic in its design. Feels like “but is it fun?” and cutting to draw focus towards what works lost out to just cramming more in. Doubt I could make it through a whole game of this if this is close to being representative of the final vision; I found the looseness wearisome.

Agreed. It felt like I had to look for what the devs were getting at in terms of vibe, sense of humor, and quest scripting rather than getting it delivered naturally by gameplay. I found myself thinking, “okay, this is funny if you consider x,” rather than laughing at stuff.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Anonymous Robot posted:

Agreed. It felt like I had to look for what the devs were getting at in terms of vibe, sense of humor, and quest scripting rather than getting it delivered naturally by gameplay. I found myself thinking, “okay, this is funny if you consider x,” rather than laughing at stuff.

The game is as psychotic and inconsistent as Hoopz himself.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sounds like this would be a fun timewaster on an off day but i guess i'll never know due to being mac only since roughly the kicktarter campaign scheduled release date

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Having to go back to a station to reload and smelt guns again and again does get tiresome quick.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
these are the joke's we all waited 6 1/2 years for

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

FunMerrania posted:

Having to go back to a station to reload and smelt guns again and again does get tiresome quick.

It's especially tiresome because the magazines sometimes hold like 5 bullets, which then is not enough to kill a single enemy.

EDIT: I don't know if it works "better" with a gamepad, but navigating the utility menu is less than ideal. For example... leveling up.

EDIT: Hmm, kinda disappointing that the wastelands are not included.

Gortarius fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 17, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Man it's a real shame how many things are close to being really good.

Like it's janky that you don't seem to get ammo when you pick up a gun's.

Lurdiak posted:

Too many writers. There's definitely joke's but they're few and far between compared to B1, in large part due to non-Chef and non-GZ writers filling out much of the dialogue and quests.

It makes the game feel meaner, too.

Like a lot of the humor is in the inherent weirdness of the worldbuilding, but that's more of a "oh that's clever" funny, not a guffaw-inducing one like the Diabeastie.

I think the thing it's missing is just the feel of the game is so different. All the different cobbled together sprites really added to the experience, like Balthios changing hair colour/length in every different spot he appears (Battle/portrait/overworld sprite) or hoopz not even vaguely resembling his main menu picture.

Also things like the duerger not even mentioning Dunkaroos (tm) a single time.

Maybe part of it is that it's in an entirely alien setting instead of a sort of absurdist version of a real one? :shrug:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 17, 2019

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Gortarius posted:

Afaik that shouldn't happen. I struggled to fix all the permutations of Wilmer for a long time back in the day, and I could've sworn it finally worked as intended, but I guess there is still some scenario that was overlooked.

Or the recent changes to get this demo out broke him once again.

There's still a chance to redeem yourself (much) later if that hasn't been changed (and is included in the demo).

Only bug I've encountered in my playthrough was the Wilmer eviction cut scene playing a second time during curfew with Wilmer's NPC absent. Then I can enter the house without eviction tape on it and X1 is like "Wilmer, I found a guy that can help us... oh he's not here" Exit the house and the tape is back up.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Lister posted:

Only bug I've encountered in my playthrough was the Wilmer eviction cut scene playing a second time during curfew with Wilmer's NPC absent. Then I can enter the house without eviction tape on it and X1 is like "Wilmer, I found a guy that can help us... oh he's not here" Exit the house and the tape is back up.

There must be a permutation where you fail to pay the mortgage which sets him up to be evicted, but then also unknowingly sell him out to gelasio which sets him up to being abducted and there is a quest logic conflict there that hasn't been addressed.

It's such a convoluted hassle to work with. I believe there's at least 3 different ways to get wilmer evicted, it's possible to sell him out to gelasio, have him die on the streets OR pardon him

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

give me barkley 1 on switch i gotta get a train tomorrow. at switch jrpg prices that'd go for £55

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Fixed a few more problems: being able to bypass the barrels in the prologue, the equipment menu crash and a weird crash when opening the quick menu after getting Wilmer's guns.

I could not figure out how to implement the sound effect volume setting though, seems like I cant change volume of SFXs that are already playing, possibly a weird quirk of external sounds in GMS1? Its really baffling, it seems to work and the sounds' gain value appears to change as it should, but then the sound plays with the same volume as before, unchanged. Don't even know what to try to fix this.

I think we should have volume tweaked on a few sounds for the public release though, eWycoff is tweaking the problem sounds and re-exporting them for the next update.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh no it's real news now https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/06/17/barkley-2-backers-get-a-lengthy-but-janky-playable-demo/

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

I'm watching that vid they have linked in there and to me it seems like playing on gamepad is just a super bad idea. The game works even less and is even more clunky somehow.

EDIT:

I wish it didn't cut to commercial every 5 minutes.

EDIT2:

By the way Frankie, I noticed this RPS guy also had catfish dudes with 60+ hp, so I guess the new lowered hitpoints are not in the demo.

Gortarius fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 18, 2019

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Yeah the gamepad controls sucked rear end.

The game crashed in the sewers and I switched over to mouse & keyboard and it worked better but it was still pretty slow and gross-feeling. I like the joke's that were, in fact, in there, but man, y'all.

You were making another Frog Fractions 2. A game with some good joke's hidden behind an enormous, annoying slog.

(fyi i have no control over when ads happen on videos)

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Yeah the gamepad controls sucked rear end.

The game crashed in the sewers and I switched over to mouse & keyboard and it worked better but it was still pretty slow and gross-feeling. I like the joke's that were, in fact, in there, but man, y'all.

You were making another Frog Fractions 2. A game with some good joke's hidden behind an enormous, annoying slog.

(fyi i have no control over when ads happen on videos)

Hey, thanks for streaming the game. Looking at someone playing it for the first time very nicely underlines how unsalvageable the game is, even if there is the occasional booty bass mixed in there. The comments in the stream chat were also very illuminating after being so numb to this poo poo game for so long. There's so many issues we never even noticed looking at all the feedback that's rolling into this thread and whatever other places. If only outside feedback would've been allowed from the start the game would have died years ago.

Everyone yaps way too much, and 85% of it isn't really funny at all. Combat is what it is. UI's are questionable. It's molasses paced and annoying to play.

Somehow it has too much stuff in it and no content to speak of. The graphics and the music are doing a lot of the heavy lifting here.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
that's for sure, frankie's sprites deserved a much better game. that's the saddest part of it

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My biggest problem with it was the tone. Stuff like janky or incomplete combat, it being difficult to judge the relative merits of gun's, etc etc are all matters of ironing out mechanics. But the central kernel of the game, the writing (after the very funny and on-point character creation and intro) feels misguided to me. There are some decent joke's here and there but it feels swamped by lots and lots of mean (and a surprising abundance of scatological) stuff that doesn't do much for me, or really feel very B1 either. Like, haha, you didn't wait in a long line and the one guy who helped you out gets evicted, and that's your fault. You didn't go with the obvious signaling that the sketchy kobold was secretly a good guy and played it straight, some refugees get pulped. You get rounded up into the hoosegow and have a long segment about making GBS threads yourself. Hilarious. Multiple people get crucified, and not in a funny "even poor chuchu??" kind of way. I don't have a problem with black humor or dark content in games per se, but it needs to have some purpose. If it's just there for humor then "it's mean, to the characters and to you the player" isn't much of a punchline. It's not like B1 didn't pull jokes at the player's expense, but there's a pretty big difference between "haha you didn't get the nonexistent keys to chuchulainn's tomb" vs how b2 feels like it's punishing any attempt to engage with the characters or setting.

MagurEnch
Nov 28, 2015

well it makes sense, the goal was always to make a game as fun to play as it is funny

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Gortarius posted:

There must be a permutation where you fail to pay the mortgage which sets him up to be evicted, but then also unknowingly sell him out to gelasio which sets him up to being abducted and there is a quest logic conflict there that hasn't been addressed.

It's such a convoluted hassle to work with. I believe there's at least 3 different ways to get wilmer evicted, it's possible to sell him out to gelasio, have him die on the streets OR pardon him

That's exactly it. I saw that the office was closed then traded the info -> got the eviction cutscene -> went to the sewers -> came back to the house at night. Wilmer is at Hoosegow when I got there

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Gortarius posted:

Hey, thanks for streaming the game. Looking at someone playing it for the first time very nicely underlines how unsalvageable the game is, even if there is the occasional booty bass mixed in there. The comments in the stream chat were also very illuminating after being so numb to this poo poo game for so long. There's so many issues we never even noticed looking at all the feedback that's rolling into this thread and whatever other places. If only outside feedback would've been allowed from the start the game would have died years ago.

Everyone yaps way too much, and 85% of it isn't really funny at all. Combat is what it is. UI's are questionable. It's molasses paced and annoying to play.

Somehow it has too much stuff in it and no content to speak of. The graphics and the music are doing a lot of the heavy lifting here.

My main take-away from playing what I'm assuming is a decent chunk of this demo even if I didn't see that much is that I appreciate what's here but really, really hope you all move onto something else. You deserve it.

Sartana
Jun 8, 2013
I can tell the game is oozing with creativity, but I'm just baffled by something that I see a shitload of amateur game devs do. I don't understand why so many create this incredibly complex and detailed starting city where like every NPC house is completely furnished and where pissing in an alleyway starts 3 elaborate side storylines, and then expect to be able to scale that to an entire world. It's remarkably common for games like this to have one city like that 60% finished, and then a huge world full of bland garbage. It seems like it would become glaringly obvious after working on something like that that the time it would cost to scale it would be exponential and it would be 100 times better just to make that one zone the area of focus for the entire game. With something like this in particular it seems like there would be plenty of room for joke's to have this massive world where the only actual content is in this one incredibly detailed city. Am I off base here, or do game devs get so excited when they make an area like this and it's almost cool that they really think they can scale it to an entire universe where different creatures have behavioral patterns every hour of the day or whatever

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

Gortarius posted:

Doubt anyone will be able to say it better than this

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sartana posted:

I can tell the game is oozing with creativity, but I'm just baffled by something that I see a shitload of amateur game devs do. I don't understand why so many create this incredibly complex and detailed starting city where like every NPC house is completely furnished and where pissing in an alleyway starts 3 elaborate side storylines, and then expect to be able to scale that to an entire world. It's remarkably common for games like this to have one city like that 60% finished, and then a huge world full of bland garbage. It seems like it would become glaringly obvious after working on something like that that the time it would cost to scale it would be exponential and it would be 100 times better just to make that one zone the area of focus for the entire game. With something like this in particular it seems like there would be plenty of room for joke's to have this massive world where the only actual content is in this one incredibly detailed city. Am I off base here, or do game devs get so excited when they make an area like this and it's almost cool that they really think they can scale it to an entire universe where different creatures have behavioral patterns every hour of the day or whatever

Even professional non-indie video games have a long tradition of massively over-developed starting areas and undercooked endings.

So the answer is...probably?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Scarodactyl posted:

My biggest problem with it was the tone. Stuff like janky or incomplete combat, it being difficult to judge the relative merits of gun's, etc etc are all matters of ironing out mechanics. But the central kernel of the game, the writing (after the very funny and on-point character creation and intro) feels misguided to me. There are some decent joke's here and there but it feels swamped by lots and lots of mean (and a surprising abundance of scatological) stuff that doesn't do much for me, or really feel very B1 either. Like, haha, you didn't wait in a long line and the one guy who helped you out gets evicted, and that's your fault. You didn't go with the obvious signaling that the sketchy kobold was secretly a good guy and played it straight, some refugees get pulped. You get rounded up into the hoosegow and have a long segment about making GBS threads yourself. Hilarious. Multiple people get crucified, and not in a funny "even poor chuchu??" kind of way. I don't have a problem with black humor or dark content in games per se, but it needs to have some purpose. If it's just there for humor then "it's mean, to the characters and to you the player" isn't much of a punchline. It's not like B1 didn't pull jokes at the player's expense, but there's a pretty big difference between "haha you didn't get the nonexistent keys to chuchulainn's tomb" vs how b2 feels like it's punishing any attempt to engage with the characters or setting.

The leaked minigame of you slowly and gruesomely vivisecting a sad child so you can sell their organs for money was more unsettling and disturbing than the entirety of LISA, the hilarious game that opens with accidentally immolating an entire camp of orphans and has competitive russian roulette as its primary method of gaining currency.

Sartana
Jun 8, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

The leaked minigame of you slowly and gruesomely vivisecting a sad child so you can sell their organs for money was more unsettling and disturbing than the entirety of LISA, the hilarious game that opens with accidentally immolating an entire camp of orphans and has competitive russian roulette as its primary method of gaining currency.

What are you even babbling about you loving retard

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i am doing the character creation and i got a grape gumball from the gumball machine! yay! oh the game seems to be soft-locked

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sartana posted:

I think sometimes there's value in wowing people early. FF7 is very cinematic and complex and stylized inside Midgar, and then the rest of the game is just one-screen villages strewn on an empty world map. But Midgar makes a huge impression that sticks with you throughout the entire game.

I think Tir Na Nog is just an example of vastly overestimating the return on investment, though. All the interconnection between quests and the various orders in which you can do things and the timed elements would make sense if this was some kind of time loop game where there's not too much to explore but there's a lot going on that you can catch on repeat loops. But it's not, it was meant to be a game you play through just the one time, one that's far too long to be worth replaying over and over to "see everything". The idea that two players might have totally different experiences with your game seems cool, but in practice what it means is both players got to experience like 15% of the stuff you spent years working on and now they're done playing.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Gortarius posted:

I watched him play for a while and thought "man, this game seems cool I should stop watching so I can play the demo".

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i am doing the character creation and i got a grape gumball from the gumball machine! yay! oh the game seems to be soft-locked
yeah I just fixed that among with 6-ish other bugs and crashes, I really hope they push the new version soon
Theres 12 gumballs and 1 of em crashes, so 1 in 12 people who play get a softlock. 1000 people downloaded the demo so far, whoops
this does make me glad they made this one backer-only for now

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

How do I escape from jail?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sartana posted:

I have heard that the best place to start making an amateur RPG is to begin with the final boss, and build that fight using all the tools you want your players to have at the end of the game.

Then make the first, weakest intro enemy.

Then decide where in between those two points the player will get each their skills/items/level ups/whatever.

That make scaling your challenges easier, cuts down on the temptation to add feature bloat, and if work on the project collapses, you can just toss the player the rest of the powerups all at once, and end it with a fun, highly polished and tested final boss fight.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FrankieSmileShow posted:

yeah I just fixed that among with 6-ish other bugs and crashes, I really hope they push the new version soon
Theres 12 gumballs and 1 of em crashes, so 1 in 12 people who play get a softlock. 1000 people downloaded the demo so far, whoops

It'd be less than 1 in 12, because you can say no to the gumball :-P

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

How do I escape from jail?

If you're stuck, make sure you talk to everyone. If you still can't find a solution, take a restpause, and talk to everyone again.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Lurdiak posted:

If you're stuck, make sure you talk to everyone. If you still can't find a solution, take a restpause, and talk to everyone again.

How do you take a restpause?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

FrankieSmileShow posted:

oh poo poo sorry, i'm not a backer i just clicked some link earlier in the thread and whichever link it was started downloading. the character creation narrative that far definitely made me chuckle several times out loud tho. and the art/music was rad. so good work