Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

A big flaming stink posted:

Alternatively, principles are also a blade with which to cut reality, and Nyave has finally found the will to grasp its hilt.

They don't call em philosophical razors for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
I just realized they are 4 of the 5 Sailor Scouts. Nyave is the green member and Cio is the temporarily absent fifth.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
The monkey is Luna and Zaid is an incompetent Tuxedo Mask.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Nyave hasn't been Gog'd. Gog Agog has been Nyaved.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
act of royalty

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tollymain posted:

act of royalty

This is why you always issue your Legion Of Doom with fully enclosed helmets that look like spikey grinning skulls.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
will this tourney get all kengan ashura with all the technical aspects of fighting

wonder how allison is going to develop her combat skills dramatically by jumping out of the frying pan into the fire kind of deal

i mean solomon david did just wreck a stone slab table with a pinky, so watch out, you got a badass over there~

also i have a smidge of an issue with the pacing at the moment

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Patreon preview is up, so we'll probably get a page tomorrow, assuming he's back on his normal schedule. This spread is crazy and wonderful, Abaddon is a beast.

Also it should finally answer the question if devils are able to compete in the tournament. It's yes, of course it was always yes, duh.

Lastgirl posted:

also i have a smidge of an issue with the pacing at the moment

Why?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Calling it now

The tournament is a cooking tournament

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

will this tourney get all kengan ashura with all the technical aspects of fighting
That would be nice but I don't think Abbadon is going to get that into detail with fights. Kengan Asura worked because it took the tournament arc and made it the entire point of the series, so fights could be 3-4 chapters in length on average. We've got Gog's backstory inbound, Allison and Zain's reunion, Meti's crew and potentially more of her backstory with Incubus, who knows what other fighters who may become notable characters, and Nyave's possibly gaining her own crown this arc, a lot is going on. I don't know how long the this arc is supposed to be but I'd reckon we'll see a lot of the fights skimmed over or outright skipped since I don't view this tournament as being the focus of the arc and more a backdrop for the drama and a vehicle to get all these characters together.

Also, Abbadon seems to like mass combat so I expect the preliminaries to be a bunch of people put into a cage and last man standing earns a spot on the bracket.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The rules of Solomon's tournament is that all matches happen simultaneously in one area, but you are only allowed to strike your designated opponent until they are eliminated. Wayward blows result in a terminal disqualification.

Solomon has no patience for prowess without proportionate control.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Patreon preview is up, so we'll probably get a page tomorrow, assuming he's back on his normal schedule. This spread is crazy and wonderful, Abaddon is a beast.

Chapter is indeed scheduled to come out tomorrow, per Abbadon's twitter. Also he's getting married soon :3:

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1139280311701966851

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Brought To You By posted:

That would be nice but I don't think Abbadon is going to get that into detail with fights.

Honestly, I hope we get some of that. This chapter (and pretty much every tournament-focus manga and anime) is clearly taking heavy cues from the original Dragonball's first tournament arc, which was so insanely popular with fans the reoccurring tournament became literally half the comic. Toriyama's style of focusing on every single moment works especially well in a tournament setting, as well as his skill in creating opponents that are specifically tailored to require Goku and the other main characters to get REALLY creative to beat them.

I hope we get some of that here - this might be the point where Allison has to stop relying on her brute strength to carry her and figure out how to really control her power. She can't just get up after a knife to the eye or throat this time. That's the inherent dramatic tension of tournament arcs - it's a really easy, fun way to require your character to really perform under pressure, in the moment, in a situation they're not used to. And if it's all montage'd over, I'll be a bit disappointed.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 17, 2019

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Chapter is indeed scheduled to come out tomorrow, per Abbadon's twitter. Also he's getting married soon :3:

May he grow fat and raise many large sons

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Honestly, I hope we get some of that. This chapter (and pretty much every tournament-focus manga and anime) is clearly taking heavy cues from the original Dragonball's first tournament arc, which was so insanely popular with fans the reoccurring tournament became literally half the comic. Toriyama's style of focusing on every single moment works especially well in a tournament setting, as well as his skill in creating opponents that are specifically tailored to require Goku and the other main characters to get REALLY creative to beat them.

I hope we get some of that here - this might be the point where Allison has to stop relying on her brute strength to carry her and figure out how to really control her power. She can't just get up after a knife to the eye or throat this time. That's the inherent dramatic tension of tournament arcs - it's a really easy, fun way to require your character to really perform under pressure, in the moment, in a situation they're not used to. And if it's all montage'd over, I'll be a bit disappointed.

I don't know how much influence Toriyama will have on K6BD, but this chapter opened up with a good showcase of Allison's fighting prowess so it's not like Operant can't choreograph a good fight. A tournament arc can be super detailed or it can be a lot more brief only really focusing on the Main character and a couple notable side characters with the rest of the roster being eyecandy. As for Allison learning that brute strength can't carry her, Unless she also starts to be able to manifest weapons or limbs from her key consistently she's stuck in the punch harder school of martial arts.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm betting Maya will knock that out of her pretty quick.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Her devil gf has been teaching her magic, I am pretty sure she isn't a one trick pony.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
True, though she's clearly much further along in her "face punching" and "lightning spear" studies than she is with Cio, where she still has to huff and puff to make an apple.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Dead Reckoning posted:

True, though she's clearly much further along in her "face punching" and "lightning spear" studies than she is with Cio, where she still has to huff and puff to make an apple.

I'm going to guess that there are a lot of interesting and dangerous things a person can do with magic that are less complicated than making an apple. Apples are complex, unlike say, a blinding flash of light.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

paranoid randroid posted:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

The problem is she expends her energy way too fast. Incubus points it out in their training. Take a look at the Golden Pearl fight - she gets that first HUGE punch in and obliterates that one dude, but she's never able to summon that kind of power again and has to coast on her invulnerability. By the time she gets to KILLBOSS, it just wasn't enough and she gets her rear end kicked. She needs to figure out how to pace herself and summon energy more reliably - and of course, the coolest way to learn a new skill is in the moment in the middle of a martial arts tournament.

Or, comedy option, she leans harder into her crutch and makes her ONE attack she can get in even more insanely powerful. Which, because it's clearly very stupid and foolhardy, is probably the best option.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 17, 2019

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Furious Dumbassery and recklessness did allow her to get a scratch on Incubus. An un-serious dream manifestation of him but still And Solomon is very clear that you only need to draw blood on him to get his kingdom.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Allison's been training with someone who can manifest dozens of spectral hands through kung fu magic. We're probably going to see some of that (and maybe a little bit of Cio's paper-fu), and it will be hype.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That technique is a really high level of 47 Empty Palms, I'd be surprised to see her using it. But I'm also expecting to be surprised!

As for Cio's paper soldiers, that pretty explicitly seems like a spell she casts from the items she's acquired, most notably her spellbook (which is actually some dude's head). Not a martial art that Allison has learned. So I doubt we'll see that.

If Allison's good at anything, though, it's doing things that she has no idea how she's doing, like that one headbutt in the black court. It wouldn't be Allison if she wasn't coasting on the magical bullshit in her head!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Royalty doesn't let little things like not knowing how to do it stop them from doing it anyway.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That technique is a really high level of 47 Empty Palms, I'd be surprised to see her using it. But I'm also expecting to be surprised!

As for Cio's paper soldiers, that pretty explicitly seems like a spell she casts from the items she's acquired, most notably her spellbook (which is actually some dude's head). Not a martial art that Allison has learned. So I doubt we'll see that.

If Allison's good at anything, though, it's doing things that she has no idea how she's doing, like that one headbutt in the black court. It wouldn't be Allison if she wasn't coasting on the magical bullshit in her head!

Magic is explicitly a type of martial art in this setting.

Or rather, martial arts are explicitly a type of magic in this setting.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I get that, it just seemed more like a resource Cio had on her than something Allison might make happen.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cio has been teaching Allison magic in a more general sense, though, so we might start to see some of the results of that training.

Well, the parts of her training that can be performed in public, anyway.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Pssh, lesbian sex is easy, just jam your tongue or fingers in there and root around a bit

yes I'm kidding

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Do we have a sense of how often these tournaments happen? Seems like they're not that common.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

I love the story so far, but the last dozen or so pages, ever since the one year leap past the training montage feels choppy at times. I mean I adore learning about meti and incubus' backstory as they approach the tournament but it was randomly inserted so it threw me for a loop for a sec, I had to go back and forth to see where or how it was being prompted out of the blue like so.

Like the earlier chapters of KSBD had Allison wandering through the world, navigating it. Now it's kind of teleporting allover the place which is understandable given the amount of characters and plot devices being moved forward, I'm just probably being a bit whimsical but I like the grand adventure aspect.

For example, Allison broke with Cio and suddenly she's at Solomon's world. How did they arrive there, could have had some more foreshadowing as they journeyed there, more lore, background characters to soak in as they arrive there, to build up that dramatic tension to a grand entrance of the coliseum. More exposition, interparty dialogue as they arrive there.

Does that make sense? It's really minor though! :sweatdrop:

Brought To You By posted:

That would be nice but I don't think Abbadon is going to get that into detail with fights. Kengan Asura worked because it took the tournament arc and made it the entire point of the series, so fights could be 3-4 chapters in length on average. We've got Gog's backstory inbound, Allison and Zain's reunion, Meti's crew and potentially more of her backstory with Incubus, who knows what other fighters who may become notable characters, and Nyave's possibly gaining her own crown this arc, a lot is going on. I don't know how long the this arc is supposed to be but I'd reckon we'll see a lot of the fights skimmed over or outright skipped since I don't view this tournament as being the focus of the arc and more a backdrop for the drama and a vehicle to get all these characters together.

Also, Abbadon seems to like mass combat so I expect the preliminaries to be a bunch of people put into a cage and last man standing earns a spot on the bracket.

I was thinking about it because of the bar fight Allison had, which was pretty much a foreshadow to display martial prowess and techniques. I'd at least expect maybe the major showdown or fight to be like that to signify an epic power struggle, which is the basis of a solid, memorable fight. It's not the flashiness, but the opposing ideologies coming at each other, and what those characters represent in the struggle.

Definitely would expect some ultraviolent gladiatorial free for all, but i expect those warriors that were chasing allison have long given up on doing so? Their purpose to the tourney is to go after a key presented by Solomon David instead right? Unless they lose and survive then they'll try to sabotage allison to get her key? Lots of possibilities to consider here :hai:

habeasdorkus posted:

Do we have a sense of how often these tournaments happen? Seems like they're not that common.

its probably a ploy to set forward a plan by Solomon David, so i assume its not frequent, considering the tenuous peace, but its how they maintain their emissaries right?, but also Gog Agog has a hand in it, so I'm interested in how Solomon and Gog organized this, had they done it before?~

they're all freaking out about JAGGANOTH :unsmigghh:

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 18, 2019

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

paranoid randroid posted:

Or a bunch of rowdy fight sons and daughters looking for a good punch up

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

habeasdorkus posted:

well it seems to take a while to repair the colosseum for each new one. I blame some sort of ki rata bullshit for its destruction

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
going to solomons tournament is like going to a deathklok concert, you dont expect to come back

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

well it seems to take a while to repair the colosseum for each new one. I blame some sort of ki rata bullshit for its destruction

Pretty sure he builds a brand new colosseum for each one no matter what.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

Pretty sure he builds a brand new colosseum for each one no matter what.

It's like how you show off with a new Olympic stadium even if you have a perfectly good stadium already

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A perfectly good smear on the ground.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A big flaming stink posted:

Alternatively, principles are also a blade with which to cut reality, and Nyave has finally found the will to grasp its hilt.

I do increasingly like the idea that they're green because she subscribes to the general path of royalty as embodied in the word Beast, and should keep an eye out for flame colors on my next read through to see if I can puzzle any interesting crackpot theories out as a result.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Congratulations, Operant! May your wedding be filled with joy and furious dumbassery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Operant was just at another wedding according to his twitter, it's the first pic I think I've seen of him. He looks downright dapper:

https://twitter.com/UmbleHalistair/status/1140113875255406592

Hope someone doesn't try to furious dumbass their way through a dance at the wedding reception and hurt themselves. Hope they do furious dumbass their way through a dance and have a massive success.