Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Most of the Gen V evolution levels are just fine, as designed for their appearance in BW1. Pokemon like Pawniard are caught close enough to their evolution levels to make things reasonable. Hydreigon is the most extreme example but given that you don't get it until Victory Road, you're not supposed to have evolved it before the Elite 4, it was designed for post-game. Weird level ranges like this were the sort of thing they could experiment with because of BW1's isolated pool, the problems only arise because they were thrown back in with the rest without tweaking for the lack of context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hydreigon is designed to be Ghetsis' ace and basically the final boss of the game. His pre-evos are basically weak and unwieldy due to the decrease accuracy ability, you have to know what's going on with that line beforehand to actually use them against Ghetsis.

Anyway, yeah, Gen V's levels are great for BW1, and frankly some lines should've reworked their evolution levels in following generations. But no, can't do that, must give Electrode 10 more points in Speed.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm looking forward to putting Yamper in front of my party and tossing out a free quick ball every battle

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Are all of you defending Rufflet and Noibat's evolution levels by going oh but you find them later in the game so evolving them at high levels is not a problem!! completely forgetting that breeding exists and is a thing sometimes people do? Yes, having Rufflet stuck as a Rufflet for 50 levels IS an issue in B/W when you have one at level 1.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zore posted:

Gen VII reimplemented the Gen V exp scale. Gen VI was just a weird step back for some reason :shrug:

I stand corrected. Makes it even weirder why it got removed and then reintroduced.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
It is really satisfying to blow Ghetsis' Hydreigon away with your own hydra

Re: bird pokemon discussion: Is Archeops a bird

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Crobat learns Brave Bird. This makes him the best bird.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

LightningSquid posted:

It is really satisfying to blow Ghetsis' Hydreigon away with your own hydra

Re: bird pokemon discussion: Is Archeops a bird

Archeops is the first bird. Well, second bird. Archen is the first.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Are all of you defending Rufflet and Noibat's evolution levels by going oh but you find them later in the game so evolving them at high levels is not a problem!! completely forgetting that breeding exists and is a thing sometimes people do? Yes, having Rufflet stuck as a Rufflet for 50 levels IS an issue in B/W when you have one at level 1.

If you're breeding, you're either going to be grinding up your new Pokemon to a level that matches your team, which will roughly match the level you caught the parent at, or you're doing nonsense in post game and when it evolves doesn't matter at all. If you're talking about trading an egg in, that's hardly the worst thing trading can do to the game's level curve.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Archeops is the first bird. Well, second bird. Archen is the first.

Aerodactyl was doing the "flying rear end in a top hat" thing around the same time, and didn't even need feathers. :colbert:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
archeops may be best bird, but rampardos is best fossil

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Best bird is Altaria.

Sigilyph is the second best bird.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

My favourite Pokemon is a bird so my vote is extremely biased but nonetheless, it's Blaziken. Blaziken is the best bird.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Best bird is Tyrantrum who is the second best Pokemon overall.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

qnqnx posted:

Although all of those were designed with the level curve of 5, only Deino and Pawniard had issues if not fully evolved with said evolution coming really late. Everything else was fine, if a bit of a challenge at times like Mienfoo, Tynamo and in particular Larvesta due to switching from Physical favoring to Special favoring on evolution.
Noibat and Noivern are gen 6, by the way.

I actually played through White 2 with a bred Pawniard and Deino. Pawniard was an MVP due to her egg moves though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
zoroark learns aerial ace ergo he is a bird

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

My favorite birds in each generation:

Gen 1: Fearow
Gen 2: Skarmory
Gen 3: Altaria
Gen 4: Staraptor
Gen 5: Braviary
Gen 6: Talonflame
Gen 7: Toucannon
Gen 8: Corviknight

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

you know, while I like the fact that pokepelago can train your pokemon overnight

I occasionally really miss hyper training/horde battles from gen 6
1 hour of working on a pokemon while watching youtube is preferable to several days of training overnight. It's great for batch training, but I rarely have competitive pokemon ready at the same time/have ones that need the same allocation of EVs.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

My favorite birds in each generation:

Gen 1: Articuno
Gen 2: Lugia
Gen 3: None
Gen 4: Honchkrow
Gen 5: Archeops
Gen 6: Talonflame
Gen 7: Rowlet
Gen 8: Corviknight

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I didn't use Poke Pelago for EV training much, because it's so much faster and more convenient to design your Festival Plaza for it, especially in the postgame when you have access to the highest level buildings.

Hyper Training was tedious as gently caress, but given the choice between just the two, I think I'm also too impatient for Poke Pelago.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I only used Poké Pelago for EV spreads that weren't 252/252/4 spreads. Otherwise I used SOS battles for those.

Super Training in Gen 6 was somewhat useful, especially in the early game when Horde Battles aren't easy to trigger and you don't have the Power items to equip. But I still do it because I want my Pokémon to have the Super Training ribbon (which can only be obtained in Gen 6 games).

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Zuzie posted:

I only used Poké Pelago for EV spreads that weren't 252/252/4 spreads. Otherwise I used SOS battles for those.
same

Rollersnake posted:

I didn't use Poke Pelago for EV training much, because it's so much faster and more convenient to design your Festival Plaza for it, especially in the postgame when you have access to the highest level buildings.
This involves heavy interaction with festival plaza, and therefore festival plaza RNG, which is just terrible, how could you ever think to do such a thing

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Internet Kraken posted:

Sword and Shield isn't nearly as different from its predecessors as BotW was so its a ridiculous comparison anyways. They are not completely reinventing the franchise with SS.

SS is Soul Silver.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Most of the Gen V evolution levels are just fine, as designed for their appearance in BW1. Pokemon like Pawniard are caught close enough to their evolution levels to make things reasonable. Hydreigon is the most extreme example but given that you don't get it until Victory Road, you're not supposed to have evolved it before the Elite 4, it was designed for post-game. Weird level ranges like this were the sort of thing they could experiment with because of BW1's isolated pool, the problems only arise because they were thrown back in with the rest without tweaking for the lack of context.

Incidentally, this is most likely to be the "balance" that they were talking about when it comes to fitting older pokemon into the new generation. It takes design work to make changes to move lists, evolution levels, etc., and if skipping a generation for some means more capacity for integrating others into the game, that's a reasonable trade-off.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Bongo Bill posted:

Incidentally, this is most likely to be the "balance" that they were talking about when it comes to fitting older pokemon into the new generation. It takes design work to make changes to move lists, evolution levels, etc., and if skipping a generation for some means more capacity for integrating others into the game, that's a reasonable trade-off.

Yes, exactly! Everyone going "but GF don't care about competitive???", like the only meaning of balance is what they care about, is massively barking up the wrong tree.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

It would be really cool if some monsters got a real reworking. They've done slight stat changes before, but they haven't changed other attributes.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Bongo Bill posted:

walling off Home imports until post game wouldn't impact the balance they'd be going for in your scenario

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Quick, help me nickname a female toxapex

e: too slow

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 18, 2019

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Blaziken386 posted:

Mantrap?

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
I keep reading the 'balance' as being for the sake of the multiplayer Raids. Which, while a Very Strong Galarian Garcho-Lucari-Mewt-something could easily render the Wild Dynamon a non-challenge, could mean a power de-creep manifests as just saying no to whatever monster and making sure no one can Mega or Z-move their way to victory.

Which is a shame, I had an alolan persian doing the Z-Parting Shot and now I'm better off not sending her to Home

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Right now of all times? Sorry, but I don't believe a single word of GF suddenly caring about balance, in any meaning of it. Not evolution levels, not dex order, not movesets, nothing. Of those only movesets and in few cases since gen 6 have changed, and even then, many go unchanged across the generations, at least until the next move tutor.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

qnqnx posted:

Right now of all times? Sorry, but I don't believe a single word of GF suddenly caring about balance, in any meaning of it. Not evolution levels, not dex order, not movesets, nothing. Of those only movesets and in few cases since gen 6 have changed, and even then, many go unchanged across the generations, at least until the next move tutor.

cool that's not the kind of balance they mean

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

e: too slow

Euryale?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Elfgames posted:

cool that's not the kind of balance they mean

They don't mean any balance. It is just an empty word they threw out.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zuzie posted:

It would be really cool if some monsters got a real reworking. They've done slight stat changes before, but they haven't changed other attributes.

They've retyped mons in the past as well (e.g. Magneton and Whimsicott), and changed abilities.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

less laughter posted:

They've retyped mons in the past as well (e.g. Magneton and Whimsicott), and changed abilities.

They’ve only retconned types after they came into existence though.

Well I guess the Rotom forms, but that feels like a special exception

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Abundant Atrophy posted:

I keep reading the 'balance' as being for the sake of the multiplayer Raids. Which, while a Very Strong Galarian Garcho-Lucari-Mewt-something could easily render the Wild Dynamon a non-challenge, could mean a power de-creep manifests as just saying no to whatever monster and making sure no one can Mega or Z-move their way to victory.

Which is a shame, I had an alolan persian doing the Z-Parting Shot and now I'm better off not sending her to Home

I wouldn't be surprised if legendaries are banned during raids.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
Sign my petition to give normal Mawile Huge Power

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mawile has the huge power of making me want to turn off the screen when i see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

LightningSquid posted:

Sign my petition to give normal Mawile Huge Power

:yeah:

For real though, mawile is my favoriate pokemon and the removal of megas (with the very real possibility that it won't even be in the game at all) makes me really down on the game