Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

That’s what I said but the local high level players are claiming it as the truth.

I'm finding it surprising you have local high level infect players and I would like to talk to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ShaneB posted:

I'm finding it surprising you have local high level infect players and I would like to talk to them.

As a follow up, did you ever start looking up face to face open top 8 decklists like I suggested on twitter?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

As a follow up, did you ever start looking up face to face open top 8 decklists like I suggested on twitter?

To The Dive Down acct? I don't think so. But I should!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ShaneB posted:

To The Dive Down acct? I don't think so. But I should!

https://f2fseries.facetofacegames.com/

Fun story: the Calgary open had 3 uw Control in the top 8 and the finals were a 3 hour control mirror that had to be played outside the venue (because the venue closed)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Mezzanon since you're paying attention to this thread- what is your split on Path/Reflector/Deputy in Bant Spirits these days? Probably rolling up to FNM at 3/1/2 (29 creatures total) against a meta I haven't actually seen in a few months.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Mezzanon since you're paying attention to this thread- what is your split on Path/Reflector/Deputy in Bant Spirits these days? Probably rolling up to FNM at 3/1/2 (29 creatures total) against a meta I haven't actually seen in a few months.

2/0/3 with 1 kira and 1 3 mana teferi in the main (2 vial, 30 creatures is my current experiment)

Stock lists aren’t running my son teferi, but his interaction with queller is pretty decent. I’m off reflector mage entirely. Deputy is a house.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

2/0/3 with 1 kira and 1 3 mana teferi in the main (2 vial, 30 creatures is my current experiment)

Stock lists aren’t running my son teferi, but his interaction with queller is pretty decent. I’m off reflector mage entirely. Deputy is a house.

Bold words.

I still need some Teferis, I took the spring off of Magic for reasons and have been hella broke for non-Magic reasons the past couple of weeks since I've been trying to get back in :(

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone at SCG Con that wants to hit up some casual legacy? Came for the fun and playing some side events while a few buddies do bigger events - I have VIP access and can meet wherever if not - PM me!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

Are you running UW or Bant?

The UW lists with like, Dovin's Veto in the side, with potentially more T3feri, and Kira main and such are very appealing to me.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ShaneB posted:

Are you running UW or Bant?

The UW lists with like, Dovin's Veto in the side, with potentially more T3feri, and Kira main and such are very appealing to me.

Bant.

With uw you go 4 vial, 1 kira, 3 thalia in the main with 2-3 veto in the side

For bant I try to have as many sideboard cards as possible be creatures (so you can hit them off coco)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Bant.

With uw you go 4 vial, 1 kira, 3 thalia in the main with 2-3 veto in the side

For bant I try to have as many sideboard cards as possible be creatures (so you can hit them off coco)

Yeah I'm likely going to replace the 2 SB Stonys with the new Stony bear

Do you think Unsettled Mariner has a home in the deck? I was toying with the idea of replacing my two SB Thalias with them, the mana's a little trickier but it taxes a lot of the stuff that Thalia would tax, and then it gets tribal bonuses. Doesn't tax wraths like Thalia does though, which seems like a big loss.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 7, 2019

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Yeah I'm likely going to replace the 2 SB Stonys with the new Stony bear

Do you think Unsettled Mariner has a home in the deck? I was toying with the idea of replacing my two SB Thalias with them, the mana's a little trickier but it taxes a lot of the stuff that Thalia would tax, and then it gets tribal bonuses. Doesn't tax wraths like Thalia does though, which seems like a big loss.

In UW mariner and Thalia and kira all have a home in the main deck

In bant I will probably test mariner as a 2-of and see how I like it.

Being able to cast mariner off a cavern and being able to flash it in with rattlechains are both good. (I know it won’t tax if you flash it in in response to a spell I just think it’s a cute interaction)

Also someone somewhere is going to tap out to field of ruin with a mariner in play on the opponents side and it will be hilarious.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

Being able to cast mariner off a cavern and being able to flash it in with rattlechains are both good. (I know it won’t tax if you flash it in in response to a spell I just think it’s a cute interaction)

Also someone somewhere is going to tap out to field of ruin with a mariner in play on the opponents side and it will be hilarious.

How are you fitting in Mariner, you think, into UW? Shave Thalia down to 3 of to not get the legendary issue?

I can't really figure out how I'd want to build the non-lands:

3 Deputy of Detention
3 Drogskol Captain
1 Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
1 Phantasmal Image
4 Rattlechains
3 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller
4 Supreme Phantom
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
2 Unsettled Mariner
3 Path to Exile
4 Aether Vial

That's with NO maindeck T3feri, though. Which is a cute addition, probably fine in the sideboard, though?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

I meant for Bant, I think it definitely goes into UW. In Bant I'm thinking it maybe replaces the singleton Kira in decks that run that, and then maybe the 2 SB Thalias as well?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So I hear modern is turbofucked with this new bridgevine

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Linear and combo decks always seem to dominate when there are major format changes until the midrange, control, and prison decks that can police them adapt appropriately. Dredge was the bogeyman after creeping chill was printed and Karn/Lattice combo decks were the bogeyman after WAR was printed, and in both cases things adapted to rein them in pretty reasonably, I think.

We'll have to see where the Hogaak deck ends up after things settle out a bit. It *is* a powerful deck and pretty resilient to traditional GY hate strategies, so I could see it needing to get knocked down a peg, but it's a little early to say, I think.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Borachon posted:

Linear and combo decks always seem to dominate when there are major format changes until the midrange, control, and prison decks that can police them adapt appropriately. Dredge was the bogeyman after creeping chill was printed and Karn/Lattice combo decks were the bogeyman after WAR was printed, and in both cases things adapted to rein them in pretty reasonably, I think.

We'll have to see where the Hogaak deck ends up after things settle out a bit. It *is* a powerful deck and pretty resilient to traditional GY hate strategies, so I could see it needing to get knocked down a peg, but it's a little early to say, I think.

Dredge was still a top tier .5 deck in modern, as was phoenix. The formats never really 'adapted' to them, they warped to them via dedicated mainboard hate out of decks. This is just going to push it farther.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Skyl3lazer posted:

Dredge was still a top tier .5 deck in modern, as was phoenix. The formats never really 'adapted' to them, they warped to them via dedicated mainboard hate out of decks. This is just going to push it farther.

Which then reduces the amount those decks are played.

I completely agree that Dredge was clearly one of the top decks pre MH-1, along with amulet, phoenix, humans, and UW control. All of those decks could either go under dredge or maindeck hate without major changes to deck-building. Whether it was *too* good then I'm less sure of. I tend to be a bit cautious calling for hitting Dredge partly *because* it preys on my faeries deck, and I don't want to be attacking it just because scissors beats paper.

That said: I just looked and there were 28 copies of faithless looting in yesterday's Modern Challenge top 8 (4 Hogaak, 2 mono-red Phoenix, 1 traditional dredge, 1 UW control!). That's pretty insane.

Next B&R is July 8, and there's a Modern GP, er I mean magicfest, in Dallas a week before that. Three more weeks of MTGO and a magicfest should be enough data for WotC to do something. If nothing else, WotC should declare the end to the T4 rule publicly, and unban some things (SFM and maybe one of the banned green cards). The splash damage to banning faithless looting would be mainly Grishoalbrand and young pyromancer decks, right?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
You can still say "Grand Prix". Grand Prix's are still A Thing. They are just now a part of Magicfests instead of being the umbrella title for the event.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I always find it reassuring when there is a very clear best deck to beat and it crushes everything anyway.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah the T4 thing is super dead and it’s not coming back unless they print something insane to slow down the format

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also free Stoneforge because the idea that it’s going to be a plague on the format is frankly a little silly at this point

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Pushing down one archetype is not ok when it requires all the other decks to dedicate a third or more of your sideboard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone know the pros and cons of Eldrazi Tron vs. regular Tron? Regular Ugin is fuckin $$$$$ right now

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Eldrazi Tron is better vs. combo and aggro I'd say, worse vs. regular tron and UW control. Its not as fast or consistent as tron, but it can function through land hate better. Also it's way cooler and more fun to play.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
For all my modern faerie brethren, what lists are you guys running?

This was my list that I took my LGS weekly modern event a few times. I'm planning to add like 2 archmage charm and force of negation in there, while cutting the 2 CMC creature removal, and 1 Jace and maybe the Mana Leak, still need to work it out. Probably swapping the 2 Counter squall to Force of Negation as well in the SB

https://deckstats.net/decks/21329/922075-jace-is-a-faerie/en

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 18, 2019

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
https://deckstats.net/decks/3043/916798-ubg-faeries/en

mana is garbo, cards are great. there's probably a potentially better version that cuts mistbind and cryptic for opts and maxes out on infiltrators but i would rather die than cut cryptic from faeries.

wotc forgot to put the faerie typeline on all the new faeries idk why they keep doing that.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Sampatrick posted:

https://deckstats.net/decks/3043/916798-ubg-faeries/en

mana is garbo, cards are great. there's probably a potentially better version that cuts mistbind and cryptic for opts and maxes out on infiltrators but i would rather die than cut cryptic from faeries.

wotc forgot to put the faerie typeline on all the new faeries idk why they keep doing that.

Oh man if Ingenious Infiltrator was a faerie ninja, that would so loving good >_<

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Took infect for a spin today with a take on the Tom Ross list.

Had a game against burn where they suspended two rift bolts and I untapped and played a 3 mana teferi, which felt amazing.

Also played against tron and they played a t2 ballista to kill my Glistener elf and I played a Geist of st Traft that just killed my opponent two turns later despite them being able to cast ulamog.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mezzanon posted:

Had a game against burn where they suspended two rift bolts and I untapped and played a 3 mana teferi, which felt amazing.

Also played against tron and they played a t2 ballista to kill my Glistener elf and I played a Geist of st Traft that just killed my opponent two turns later despite them being able to cast ulamog.

What's Tom's list right now? Recent infect results on aggregate sites are a mixed bag.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What's Tom's list right now? Recent infect results on aggregate sites are a mixed bag.

Did you like teferi? Seems quite slow for infect, but fun.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ShaneB posted:

Did you like teferi? Seems quite slow for infect, but fun.

I love Teferi but I think you wanted to ask someone else.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I love Teferi but I think you wanted to ask someone else.

I woke up an hour before my alarm okay leave me alone

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Is Geist in Infect new tech? That seems like a curveball.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

C-Euro posted:

Is Geist in Infect new tech? That seems like a curveball.

It's actually OLD tech but fun

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/Runeclaw_Barich/status/1140700229450313734?s=19

This is what I think is p real for infect.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Here's a GW Infect deck that I think I'm going to play tomorrow night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpQ7CUwBRVY

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

venutolo posted:

Here's a GW Infect deck that I think I'm going to play tomorrow night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpQ7CUwBRVY

I loving hate this guy.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

ShaneB posted:

I loving hate this guy.

I loving hate modern again, but that guy in particular.

I'm actually looking at my 2 decks (land destruction and Jund) and trying to gauge how much effort it will be to keep them viable, and part of me is hoping that effort level is high enough for me to give up so I can finally break this vicious cycle.

Same for Legacy, I have no idea where Death & Taxes stands anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Same for Legacy, I have no idea where Death & Taxes stands anymore.

It's easy. Are you Bahra? If yes, it's ok. If not it's bad.