Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

the escape goat posted:

in the US, the women's league is struggling in most cities which is a bummer. Seattle was playing in a high school stadium that couldn't get any sort of upgrades because the school didn't want one field to be nicer than the others despite the team owners being more than happy to pay for it, so they moved to a smaller city south of Seattle.

The Kansas City team was inexplicably moved to Utah where they're finding more success because they're tied to the MLS team.

The Portland team is setting attendance records left and right and has sold out the stadium on multiple occasions, but the MLS tie isn't a surefire way for things to work since Houston isn't doing well despite their partnership.

New Jersey's team was relocated to North Carolina and features the most openly homophobic player in the league's history (she even refused to play for the USWNT when they had rainbow colors on their kits for Pride month).

And this is for a country that boasts how incredible they are with women's soccer. Yeah, they're close to the top of the heap but there are so few countries with the same resources that they're gonna stay at the top no matter what.

Jersey still has their team -- Sky Blue FC; NC's team used to be the Western New York Flash. SB is an absolute trash fire in how it's treated its players, though, and multiple articles spun up about it last year. poo poo like not having proper locker facilities, with showers, at their venue and their training fields; putting up players in dilapidated housing owned by perv old dudes who hit on them constantly; etc.

League's also seen poo poo like KC getting called out by Alex Morgan on twitter for putting away teams in a hotel with known bed bug problems, and Boston ending up millions in debt and having to fold after the league let them select players in that year's college draft.

NWSL also hasn't had a commissioner in two years.

Edit: SB is also co-owned by NJ gov Phil Murphy, who refuses to sell the team to anyone else who might give more of a poo poo because he'd rather use it for tax write-offs.

xeria fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/MirrorFootball/status/1140893108068147202

lol

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol good

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/Oddschanger/status/1140909286618521600?s=19

It's coming home

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Remember what happened last time y'all started with the "its coming home" masturbation.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Remember what happened last time y'all started with the "its coming home" masturbation.

England got to the Semi Finals? We just needed that bit of extra "oomph" which hosting on our own beloved turf would do so. All this translates to.

Its coming home.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Malachite_Dragon posted:

England won a penalty shootout and we had two months of pure sunshine

It's coming home :colbert:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm not sayin' don't be hopeful, I'm just sayin' remember that last time it did come home- to Croatia. :v: Don't start lighting the fireworks until you actually have the cup in hand.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

We got to the semi finals and the country was united OP

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
On one hand, I totally understand how irritating the repeated chanting of Three Lions is, especially to fans of other nations.

On the other hand, last summer was the most positive England major tournament experience in over a decade because IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S COMING, FOOTBALL'S COMING HOME OP

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Michel's not coming home

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

It's coming home doubly lads.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Bacon Terrorist posted:

On one hand, I totally understand how irritating the repeated chanting of Three Lions is, especially to fans of other nations.

On the other hand, last summer was the most positive England major tournament experience in over a decade because IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S COMING, FOOTBALL'S COMING HOME OP

people from other countries actually don't give a poo poo because no one in Europe understands British English so chant away

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You should go home to GBS, where you live

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm not sayin' don't be hopeful, I'm just sayin' remember that last time it did come home- to Croatia. :v:

I think you will find France won the tournament m8...

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is the joke going over my head or did that guy really forget who won the last World Cup

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It's coming home, to a post-brexit wasteland.

Disaster tourism 2022.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Is the joke going over my head or did that guy really forget who won the last World Cup

Either that, or he seems to think that it "comes home" to whoever knocks England out.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
when croatians become good at something they don't go home, they move to like miami or monaco

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Nice

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The world cup is not going to brexit-riddled UK btw, sorry ops

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Breaking: The USA will now hold all World Cups and the final will always be held at the Rose Bowl

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

As much as I'd love to see it happen, the games won't be taken away from Qatar. They'll spin this as "a few bad apples but it would be unfair to punish the otherwise great and honest FA of UAE for the actions of a corrupt few blah blah" etc.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

advanced statsman posted:

people from other countries actually don't give a poo poo because no one in Europe understands British English so chant away

This!

Also, other countries don't give a poo poo because everybody know that it's never going to come home to England.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Der Shovel posted:

As much as I'd love to see it happen, the games won't be taken away from Qatar. They'll spin this as "a few bad apples but it would be unfair to punish the otherwise great and honest FA of UAE for the actions of a corrupt few blah blah" etc.

Qatar is not in the UAE op

e: also gently caress that corrupt gently caress Platini

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Der Shovel posted:

The few bad apples in this case are the emir of qatar and the Qatari foreign minister who were at the lunch where bein sport was idealised and PSG was handed to the slavers in exchange for concessions on natural gas

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Maybe the UAE and Saudi Arabia will convince FIFA to give them some of the games

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Jose posted:

Maybe the UAE and Saudi Arabia will convince FIFA to give them some of the games

Didn't they actually try this earlier and fail?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Jose posted:

I thought this was part of the plan for team expansion for 2022

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

Didn't they actually try this earlier and fail?

Yeah but I'm sure they'll keep trying

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Byolante posted:

The few bad apples in this case are the emir of qatar and the Qatari foreign minister who were at the lunch where bein sport was idealised and PSG was handed to the slavers in exchange for concessions on natural gas

Of course. They're all bent as gently caress and in a just world most of the FIFA and UEFA executive committees as well as the heads of the various FAs would be in prison until we're all old, and I'd love to see Qatar get stripped of the games but...

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Der Shovel posted:

Of course. They're all bent as gently caress and in a just world most of the FIFA and UEFA executive committees as well as the heads of the various FAs would be in prison until we're all old, and I'd love to see Qatar get stripped of the games but...

They're terrified of taking the games away from Qatar because Qatar would go scorched loving Earth on all the people they bribed.

Also, if they're taken away from Qatar they go back to Russia in 2022. Yeesh.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

“We worked all those migrant laborers to death for this?!”

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It's funny imo that Saudi Arabia mass pirates bein sport for the internet as part of its current feud with Qatar

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

There's zero chance this actually gets moved right?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

It's funny imo that Saudi Arabia mass pirates bein sport for the internet as part of its current feud with Qatar

They call it BeoutQ, lol

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Byolante posted:

Also I think plantini makes it 12 of the 22 people who decided the world cup who've now been jailed or charged with bribery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Akileese posted:

There's zero chance this actually gets moved right?

Less than zero.