Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

VitalSigns posted:

Alito's argument seems to imply that it would be okay for the Virginia House to pass a law saying you have to be a Republican to get elected.

E: Oh wait it's a standing question so I guess his argument only implies that if the Virginia House passed a law saying you have to be a Republican to get elected, they'd have standing to defend that law in court.

It's also a kinda weird standing question and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's also a kinda weird standing question and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Yeah same, I...sort of agree? Not with the part about the House having an interest in the identity of its members, that's bullshit, in a democracy legislators don't choose themselves: the people choose legislators. It's not the same as a garage band or a bridge club or w/e that's dumb.

But in general I kinda agree anyway that the legislature has an interest in defending its own laws in court. If the governor just says "nah not gonna appeal ohhh well" that seems like a backdoor executive repeal.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah same, I...sort of agree? Not with the part about the House having an interest in the identity of its members, that's bullshit, in a democracy legislators don't choose themselves: the people choose legislators. It's not the same as a garage band or a bridge club or w/e that's dumb.

But in general I kinda agree anyway that the legislature has an interest in defending its own laws in court. If the governor just says "nah not gonna appeal ohhh well" that seems like a backdoor executive repeal.

I think it's a question of roles under VA state law - the person tasked with defending laws passed by the legislature is the AG. If the AG elects not to defend a law then the state doesn't allow the legislature to pick up the baton. Since the AG is an elected position, it's probably a mechanism to check situations exactly like the one in Virginia.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
It's less a problem in a case involving ordinary legislature than when you have something enacted by initiative/referendum, where giving the state ag a pocket veto by refusing to defend against lawsuits, even ludicrously weak ones, stands out as hideously antidemocratic.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

VitalSigns posted:

Alito's argument seems to imply that it would be okay for the Virginia House to pass a law saying you have to be a Republican to get elected.

I think that's probably right.

hobbesmaster posted:

Gorsuch coming down against the dual sovereigns doctrine seems surprising?

Gorsuch has been pretty consistently anti-government. The good bit is that he's anti-government even in the criminal law context, which is where Alito suddenly is willing to buy into the lamest arguments put forward by the police et al.

VitalSigns posted:

There were 2 problems.

1. The AG has the sole power under VA law to do the defense.
2. This wasn't the legislature, just one branch of a bicameral house.

But yes, there have been problems. In Georgia at one point the governor and the attorney general were from different political parties. This led to hilarity in determining what cases would and wouldn't be pursued.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thranguy posted:

It's less a problem in a case involving ordinary legislature than when you have something enacted by initiative/referendum, where giving the state ag a pocket veto by refusing to defend against lawsuits, even ludicrously weak ones, stands out as hideously antidemocratic.

Thats a very different question though because then presumably the intervenor would be a "regular" citizen.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

ulmont posted:

Gorsuch has been pretty consistently anti-government. The good bit is that he's anti-government even in the criminal law context, which is where Alito suddenly is willing to buy into the lamest arguments put forward by the police et al.

Right. Gorsuch is a pretty doctrinaire judicial libertarian, which makes him very different from any of the other conservatives on the Court. It’s a little weird that Trump nominated him, frankly.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I can't tell if the Virginia Uranium ban was upheld or not

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I can't tell if the Virginia Uranium ban was upheld or not

It was. I have a condensed version of the opinion upthread.

quote:

The only thing a court can be sure of is what can be found in the law itself. And every indication in the law before us suggests that Congress elected to leave mining regulation on private land to the States and grant the NRC regulatory authority only after uranium is removed from the earth. That compromise may not be the only permissible or even the most rationally attractive one, but it is surely both permissible and rational to think that Congress might have chosen to regulate the more novel aspects of nuclear power while leaving to States their traditional function of regulating mining activities on private lands within their boundaries.
The judgment of the court of appeals is Affirmed.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

rjmccall posted:

Right. Gorsuch is a pretty doctrinaire judicial libertarian, which makes him very different from any of the other conservatives on the Court. It’s a little weird that Trump nominated him, frankly.

It's not all that weird, seeing as though his jurisprudence was almost certainly not under any deep consideration at that point. Iirc he was given a list of recommended/vetted justices from Heritage and presumably picked the one who looked the youngest/healthiest.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

I think it's a question of roles under VA state law - the person tasked with defending laws passed by the legislature is the AG. If the AG elects not to defend a law then the state doesn't allow the legislature to pick up the baton. Since the AG is an elected position, it's probably a mechanism to check situations exactly like the one in Virginia.

That's a good point, if the legislature itself passed a law saying it's the AG's role and not theirs I guess the remedy would be for them to change that law if they don't like it now.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
A dissent by Ginsburg that I heartily agree with. Good job ya old witch. (Double jeopardy case)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The Virginia Uranium dissent is odd. Virginia is allowed to ban uranium mining, but it’s precluded from regulating the later stages (disposal of byproducts?), and there’s strong evidence that they banned mining because they didn’t like how federal law regulates the later stages, so their ban was a pretextual attempt to regulate the later stages and so is illegitimate? Do courts usually do this kind of pretext analysis outside of fundamental-rights cases? And why is “we want to ban this because it will have consequences we don’t like and can’t control” an invalid state interest just because the lack of control is caused by (purportedly) lax federal regulation rather than being inherent to the thing?

If federal law said that bartenders couldn’t cut patrons off and had to keep serving them alcohol until they passed out, would states not be allowed to ban bars unless they could demonstrate that they were planning to ban them regardless of that law?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

rjmccall posted:

The Virginia Uranium dissent is odd. Virginia is allowed to ban uranium mining, but it’s precluded from regulating the later stages (disposal of byproducts?), and there’s strong evidence that they banned mining because they didn’t like how federal law regulates the later stages, so their ban was a pretextual attempt to regulate the later stages and so is illegitimate? Do courts usually do this kind of pretext analysis outside of fundamental-rights cases? And why is “we want to ban this because it will have consequences we don’t like and can’t control” an invalid state interest just because the lack of control is caused by (purportedly) lax federal regulation rather than being inherent to the thing?

1. The pretext analysis is done in preemption cases under one of the leading precedents discussed in the opinion:

quote:

State safety regulation is not preempted only when it conflicts with federal law.
A state moratorium on nuclear construction grounded in safety concerns falls squarely within the prohibited field. Moreover, a state judgment that nuclear power is not safe enough to be further developed would conflict directly with the countervailing judgment of the NRC, see infra at 461 U. S. 218-219, that nuclear construction may proceed notwithstanding extant uncertainties as to waste disposal. A state prohibition on nuclear construction for safety reasons would also be in the teeth of the Atomic Energy Act's objective to insure that nuclear technology be safe enough for widespread development and use -- and would be preempted for that reason.

That being the case, it is necessary to determine whether there is a nonsafety rationale for § 25524.2. California has maintained, and the Court of Appeals agreed, that § 25524.2 was aimed at economic problems, not radiation hazards. The California Assembly Committee on Resources, Land Use, and Energy, which proposed a package of bills including § 25524.2, reported that the waste disposal problem was "largely economic or the result of poor planning, not safety related."
https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/461/190/

Otherwise yeah more or less fundamental rights cases (and employment discrimination, although that's usually private actors).

rjmccall posted:

If federal law said that bartenders couldn’t cut patrons off and had to keep serving them alcohol until they passed out, would states not be allowed to ban bars unless they could demonstrate that they were planning to ban them regardless of that law?

Under Virginia Uranium, probably. Note that Gorsuch completely rejected the pretext analysis, while Ginsburg disagreed that it was relevant.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 17, 2019

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Huh, that’s a really interesting precedent. I know Gorsuch didn’t suggest it should be overturned, but I bet he‘d vote that way if asked.

Thanks!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Can we get the breakdown of what the punt on the Oregon gay wedding cake case means?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Javid posted:

Can we get the breakdown of what the punt on the Oregon gay wedding cake case means?

I suspect it was just the Court buying time since nobody really wanted to go back to that well. That case will come back up.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Really looking forward to John Roberts applying the same scrutiny to legislative pretext in the remaining gerrymandering cases that he is in Virginia Uranium.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Javid posted:

it was just a general 'uuuh go back and look at this again just to be sure' since that Colorado freak won his 'they were meeeeeeeeeeeeeean to me because I'm Christian' thing. The lower court's just gonna go 'uh yea we're not loving targeting Christians' and this'll come back just in time for the election....yay.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I can’t even believe that “my private, secular business shouldn’t have to comply with facially neutral anti-discrimination laws because my religion teaches discrimination” is an argument any court has to give the time of day, but there it is.

Note that I am aware of the ministerial exception to most anti-discrimination laws. Hence the qualifiers.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 18, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it whips rear end that our totally normal and civilized country has it carved out as a legal standard that you can just say 'yea I know I'm a fuckin plumber or whatever but my god says queers are gross so I get to discriminate right?'

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ilkhan posted:

A dissent by Ginsburg that I heartily agree with. Good job ya old witch. (Double jeopardy case)

Thomas also showing off the insanity of "originalism" there --- the Founders didn't think states and feds would prosecute
for the same thing, so they didn't ban it, so clearly prosecuting people twice is following the original intent!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Thomas also showing off the insanity of "originalism" there --- the Founders didn't think states and feds would prosecute
for the same thing, so they didn't ban it, so clearly prosecuting people twice is following the original intent!

There is an interesting analogy there for the foreign sovereigns bit although I think Ginsburg has the right of “one country you fucks.”

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

OddObserver posted:

Or, they *did* ban it and we've been stupid enough to ignore that for 200 years.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

I can’t even believe that “my private, secular business shouldn’t have to comply with facially neutral anti-discrimination laws because my religion teaches discrimination” is an argument any court has to give the time of day, but there it is.

Note that I am aware of the ministerial exception to most anti-discrimination laws. Hence the qualifiers.
There's a pretty obvious first amendment issue in that someone engaged in a creative enterprise can't be forced to endorse a message they disagree with, even if they do it for money. If a Christian cover band makes themselves available for bookings, you can't sue them if they decline to play Slayer covers for your First BDSM Mass of Black Satan. People have just been twisting themselves in knots to argue that the specialty individually decorated cakes you order for weddings and nothing else don't constitute creative works.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dead Reckoning posted:

There's a pretty obvious first amendment issue in that someone engaged in a creative enterprise can't be forced to endorse a message they disagree with, even if they do it for money. If a Christian cover band makes themselves available for bookings, you can't sue them if they decline to play Slayer covers for your First BDSM Mass of Black Satan. People have just been twisting themselves in knots to argue that the specialty individually decorated cakes you order for weddings and nothing else don't constitute creative works.

Good thing the Masterpiece opinion didn't actually rule on free speech, and instead said that the baker was justified in his illegal bigotry because, after the fact, someone was rude to him when he argued his religious beliefs justified breaking the law.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Masterpiece was a punt, and this was a punt on top of a punt, but the correct answer should have been, "creative work isn't a public accommodation, this case was creative work, and the lower courts are welcome to hash out where that line is in more detail until an inevitable circuit split forces us to consider the issue again."

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 18, 2019

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Dead Reckoning posted:

If a Christian cover band makes themselves available for bookings, you can't sue them if they decline to play Slayer covers for your First BDSM Mass of Black Satan.
If a Christian cover band chooses to create a public business, they should be required to service the public, subject to relevant anti-discrimination laws.

If they don't play Slayer because they are talentless hacks that is one thing, if they play Slayer for certain people, but don't play Slayer for other people protected by anti-discrimination laws, burn their business to the ground.

twodot fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 18, 2019

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Not really, no. Just because Chris Hemsworth shills for cologne or liquor or sports watches in exchange for money doesn't mean he has to cut ads for the Westboro Baptist Church if they scrape together enough cash.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Dead Reckoning posted:

Not really, no. Just because Chris Hemsworth shills for cologne or liquor or sports watches in exchange for money doesn't mean he has to cut ads for the Westboro Baptist Church if they scrape together enough cash.
Uh do you imagine "Being a member of the Westboro Baptist Church" is a person protected by anti-discrimination laws?
edit:
I guess let's head this off at the pass. Can you distinguish between "participating in a religion" and "being an rear end in a top hat"?

Like if a member of the Westboro Baptist Church opened a bakery and argued "I don't have anything against gays, it's just that all gays are mean, and I refuse to serve mean people" they would have some sort of argument, except that the idea "all gay people are mean" is plainly absurd whereas "the entirety of the Westboro Baptist Church are all assholes" is self evident.

twodot fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 18, 2019

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Dead Reckoning posted:

A more accurate analogy would be my Mormon cover band does do covers of slayer for Klan functions but we turned up to perform at a wedding and discovered the dude is marrying a black girl so we've now decided that playing covers of boy band romance songs is an endorsement of this mixed race marriage and won't perform.

Clearly as a creative act that would be a ok for the courts here as a first amendment thing?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao did Thomas really write a concurrence just so he could whine about stare decisis for a couple paragraphs?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Sydin posted:

lmao did Thomas really write a concurrence just so he could whine about stare decisis for a couple paragraphs?

That was so superfluous that I have to think Thomas learned that the clerks have a betting pool on the number of solo Thomas opinions in the term and he's trying to swing it someone's way.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dead Reckoning posted:

:lol: that is nothing close to a good faith argument.

Masterpiece wouldn't sell them an off the shelf cake. There was nothing creative about it. He just wanted to say no gays allowed in his cakeshop.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're quite correct, no one can be forced to endorse a message they disagree with. Good thing engaging in a creative endeavor in no way endorses the underlying activity, and never has. Baking a wedding cake is neither an endorsement of that particular type of wedding (e.g. gay, post-divorce, mixed race) nor an endorsement of the individual wedding (Sara and Mark). And no one ever thought it was until bigots want to have both a business that serves the general public for profit and wants to discriminate.

Your example would be more apt if they played Slayer covers for everyone but for one group they claim a religious right to discriminate against. The cake maker doesn't inquire into the specifics of the marriage, which calls into question the sincerity of his beliefs, of course, but also clearly shows that his work isn't an endorsement.

And, of course, your Chris Hemsworth example does not involve a public accommodation. It is, overtly, an endorsement of a particular product, and quite different.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Hell, turn the example around. Would you want to force an atheist Baker to create a super religious cake? I don't think forcing either side to go against their beliefs is valid.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ilkhan posted:

Hell, turn the example around. Would you want to force an atheist Baker to create a super religious cake? I don't think forcing either side to go against their beliefs is valid.

Yes. First, it's not against their beliefs. There's no religious text supporting their position that commercial services must be withheld from sinners. Their belief can be loosely interpreted to say don't gay marry (not really, but you can get there), it doesn't say to shun the gay married (specifically, or sinners generally).

Secondly, yes, I'd definitely feel fine under the law and the constitution forcing an atheist Baker to create a super religious cake. Why? It in no way endorses the religion. This same argument was used to discriminate against racial minorities...with better religious support for the position.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
You don't get to tell people what their religious beliefs are.

If a Baptist walked into a Jewish bakery and requested a cake with a large cross and "Christ is Lord above all others" piped on it, you think the bakery should be forced to make it?

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol: that is nothing close to a good faith argument.

Masterpiece wouldn't sell them an off the shelf cake. There was nothing creative about it. He just wanted to say no gays allowed in his cakeshop.
From the decision: "One of the difficulties in this case is that the parties disagree as to the extent of the baker’s refusal to provide service. If a baker refused to design a special cake with words or images celebrating the marriage—for instance, a cake showing words with religious meaning—that might be different from a refusal to sell any cake at all. In defining whether a baker’s creation can be protected, these details might make a difference." Masterpiece claimed they would sell off-the-shelf goods or custom birthday cakes to gay people, but not custom wedding cakes for gay weddings. For example, if a straight person came in and said, "I would like to commission a cake for my son's gay wedding", they would reject that request.

torgeaux posted:

You're quite correct, no one can be forced to endorse a message they disagree with. Good thing engaging in a creative endeavor in no way endorses the underlying activity, and never has. Baking a wedding cake is neither an endorsement of that particular type of wedding (e.g. gay, post-divorce, mixed race) nor an endorsement of the individual wedding (Sara and Mark). And no one ever thought it was until bigots want to have both a business that serves the general public for profit and wants to discriminate.
The idea that artists don't endorse the underlying message of their work is farcical. An artist or other person engaged in expression should not be compelled to promote messages they disagree with. If a WBC member went into a print shop owned and run by LGBTQ people and wished to commission a banner and flyers reflecting his belief that homosexuality is sin and death, should they be forced to design and print them?

torgeaux posted:

The cake maker doesn't inquire into the specifics of the marriage, which calls into question the sincerity of his beliefs, of course, but also clearly shows that his work isn't an endorsement.
The cake maker sits down with each couple and discusses their wedding, theme, etc in order to design and execute a unique cake in cooperation with the couple.

The fact that people in Colorado keep suing this same bakery for refusing to provide "transition celebration" cakes, etc. doesn't bode well for the argument that this is about LGBTQ people being denied public accommodation, rather than forcing people to do endorse things contrary to their religion.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 18, 2019

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Now make the same argument about interracial weddings.

"Sorry, I won't make a cake that celebrates your white son marrying his black girlfriend because my religion prohibits miscegenation!"

Do you realise how that sounds?

If this wasn't a case about LGBT rights there would be absolutely no question which way it would go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Dead Reckoning posted:

You don't get to tell people what their religious beliefs are.

If a Baptist walked into a Jewish bakery and requested a cake with a large cross and "Christ is Lord above all others" piped on it, you think the bakery should be forced to make it?

From the decision: "One of the difficulties in this case is that the parties disagree as to the extent of the baker’s refusal to provide service. If a baker refused to design a special cake with words or images celebrating the marriage—for instance, a cake showing words with religious meaning—that might be different from a refusal to sell any cake at all. In defining whether a baker’s creation can be protected, these details might make a difference." Masterpiece claimed they would sell off-the-shelf goods or custom birthday cakes to gay people, but not custom wedding cakes for gay weddings. For example, if a straight person came in and said, "I would like to commission a cake for my son's gay wedding", they would reject that request.
The idea that artists don't endorse the underlying message of their work is farcical. An artist or other person engaged in expression should not be compelled to promote messages they disagree with. If a WBC member went into a print shop owned and run by LGBTQ people and wished to commission a banner and flyers reflecting his belief that homosexuality is sin and death, should they be forced to design and print them?
The cake maker sits down with each couple and discusses their wedding, theme, etc in order to design and execute a unique cake in cooperation with the couple.

The fact that people in Colorado keep suing this same bakery for refusing to provide "transition celebration" cakes, etc. doesn't bode well for the argument that this is about LGBTQ people being denied public accommodation, rather than forcing people to do endorse things contrary to their religion.

In that case couldn't you reject any service under the auspice of a religious belief? There can't be any sort of test for what is a true religious belief so basically you can refuse any work for any reason to discriminate, no?

"I don't like blacks" could also be a religious belief. This can go to the extremes pretty fast.