Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Iceclaw posted:

So, I guess the chances of P5 getting a switch port plummeted to nothing?

Plummeted to "maybe if SMT5 does well when it comes out in 2022" anyway. Or they could announce it tomorrow. Or they could release the Definitive Super Royal Kiwami version with a female MC and Dante from the Devil May Cry series for the loving Wonderswan or something. ATLUS is still not very good at selling things to westerners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It seems pretty plausible at this point that Sony's got some kind of behind-the-scenes exclusivity deal for mainline Persona games.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Iceclaw posted:

So, I guess the chances of P5 getting a switch port plummeted to nothing?

They've 'plummeted' to exactly the same level of probability that they were always at. Which is to say 'practically zero'. People just convinced themselves otherwise with a grand total of zero pieces of evidence, and then got mad when they were wrong and the Switch was instead getting an entirely new spinoff game.

Atlus seems to be very specific and arbitrary about what games go on what platforms, which is a little odd. Persona's got the main games itself as Playstation console exclusives, but the spinoffs almost never are. The dancing games were aimed at Playstation's portables (with the later ones ending up on the PS4 just because the Vita sold like dump), as have all the remakes. The fighting games were cross-platform. Q's exclusively on the 3DS, and now Scramble is coming to the Switch. In the meantime Devil Survivor was always a 3DS thing, they seem to specifically want to make mainline Megaten a Nintendo exclusive (with the exception of Nocturne apparently).

The 'what' of the logic is very clear, although the 'why' still eludes me, especially with the Persona spinoffs. There is only an internal logic at play with Atlus target platforms, but once you realize that and stop trying to apply external logic to it then it all makes sense.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Arist posted:

It seems pretty plausible at this point that Sony's got some kind of behind-the-scenes exclusivity deal for mainline Persona games.

Let's not act like Atlus has ever not been behind on the curb or completely oblivious about what the current scope of the generation they're in is. They released P4 well after the PS2 was in its dying stages and their only switch game announced as of right now is SMT5 which we've seen nothing of and they've made no efforts to really act like they're gonna put anything else out for it. Scramble is getting onto the Switch but that is a game not developed by them at all. Full Body got a loving Vita port of all things in Japan despite it being mostly dead rn and such an obvious Switch game. I doubt Sony has been dipping their toes into Atlus behind the scenes that much and if they have it was probably for poo poo like P5 actually getting a PS4 port.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm weirded out by Atlus's virtual non-presence on Switch, considering how big their 3DS output was.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm weirded out by Atlus's virtual non-presence on Switch, considering how big their 3DS output was.

the 3ds presence took a few years to ramp up if i remember right, atlus is just slow to move between new platforms for some reason

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

their 3DS output was almost entirely ports of DS games

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SMTIV came out in May 2013, just two years after the release of the 3DS.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I heard that atlus devs have smtv and devil survivor 3 and so forth all ready to go for Switch but Katsura Hashino keeps locking them in the cabinet and whipping the devs and making them add three more homophobias to P5R any time they mention it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Excluding remakes of Ds smt's how many were actually original tho

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

TurnipFritter posted:

their 3DS output was almost entirely ports of DS games

It's 50/50 between ports and new games. You got Devil survivor 1 and 2, Soul Hackers and SJ Redux for the ports. SMT 4, 4 A, Persona Q1 and Q2 for new stuff.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Etrian Odyssey are also games Atlus developed and the first came out within a year of the 3ds release I wanna say? Their track record on handhelds has been a lot better than major consoles have been, at least. Hell, P4G came out pretty early into the Vita's lifespan (Though idk what early constitutes in a handheld that died within 3 years in America and 5 in Japan) and is also one of the few reasons to ever get a Vita.

Their heyday was in the ps2 where the majority of their unique and cool games everyone talks about were made, but PS2 was also one of the easiest consoles to develop and churn out games for.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I miss the PS2 era of weird games.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Nobody Can Stop Mr. Domino gritty reboot launch PS5 title.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Detective No. 27 posted:

SMTIV came out in May 2013, just two years after the release of the 3DS.

Making games in resolution higher than 400 x 240 takes more time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Baal posted:

Let's not act like Atlus has ever not been behind on the curb or completely oblivious about what the current scope of the generation they're in is. They released P4 well after the PS2 was in its dying stages and their only switch game announced as of right now is SMT5 which we've seen nothing of and they've made no efforts to really act like they're gonna put anything else out for it. Scramble is getting onto the Switch but that is a game not developed by them at all. Full Body got a loving Vita port of all things in Japan despite it being mostly dead rn and such an obvious Switch game. I doubt Sony has been dipping their toes into Atlus behind the scenes that much and if they have it was probably for poo poo like P5 actually getting a PS4 port.

Eh, fair

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They refused to give the PC port people catherine's source code, iirc and the pc people had to reverse engineer it

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Crazy (also probably dumb) prediction: We get Shin Megami Tensei V at around the same time we get Shin Sakura Wars and there's a gatcha-friendly crossover. Sega makes all of the money and tells Sony to never talk to them or their sons ever again.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I guess it sort of makes sense they don't have the Persona team working on porting the game to the Switch if they're just also now working on putting out this expansion. For all the people now complaining about how they can't believe P5 isn't coming to the Switch, people were equally mad when they thought it was going to be the base game ported and not P5R. Let the English version of P5R come out before you start clamoring for a port, because they probably weren't working on it since this was in the pipeline

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

mandatory lesbian posted:

They legit did everything possible to make sjr accessible to people who didn't want to put up with the more bs dungeon design, which I quite like cause it's one of my fav games and I want more people to play it! Also the added endings are in 2/3s of the case better in every way then the original. I really think redux is a strong remake
this answers a lot, thank you! i'll try to get one day

I feel like I probably just haven't seen enough of SJ for it to hook me. It's also not "mainline" so for a while my brain is just "well i don't have to play it"

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If only P5R was released as an expansion and not its own game. F

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Making games in resolution higher than 400 x 240 takes more time.

If only they had a bunch of PS2 and PS3 era games they could remaster and put up on Switch. If only.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I thought the whole "people won't every shut up about putting literally every game on the Switch" was a meme but jeez

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

i want shin megami tensei v to come to switch

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
they should get M2 to put smt 1 and 2 on switch so it can be fancy and cool like the Phantasy Star port was

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Looks like the North American PSN is having a big sale on all things Persona, so I guess if y'all want to get in on those dancing games now's the time. (Persona 5 and its DLC is also on sale, but that feels like kind of a waste since The Royal is coming)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
literally everyone: smt 5 when?

atlus: we remastered our version of q*bert with anime titties

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
that's just adam sandler's pixels (2015)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Bogart posted:

Nobody Can Stop Mr. Domino gritty reboot launch PS5 title.

That PS1 game where you platform as an egg.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I am delighted that I now have A Dog and A Robot in my party now in P3FES

Feel like this holds up pretty well for such an old game

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I wish the dog and the robot were interesting, but alas

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Monkey Fracas posted:

I am delighted that I now have A Dog and A Robot in my party now in P3FES

Feel like this holds up pretty well for such an old game

Persona 3 loving rules

some older RPGs I know in my heart I'll never come back to but I think I could start a new file of P3 at pretty much any time and still enjoy it

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Same, but for P4, for myself.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i never tried P3 again after getting... fairly far? more than a decade ago and losing a lot of progress because I died to the wheel of fortune boss. I was getting pretty burnt out on it by that time so I set it aside

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Merilan posted:

i never tried P3 again after getting... fairly far? more than a decade ago and losing a lot of progress because I died to the wheel of fortune boss. I was getting pretty burnt out on it by that time so I set it aside

I recc'd playing P3P the best P3 game. I don't blame you for being tired though since I was tired too after playing 3x.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/sandentotten/status/1141760955803529216?s=19

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A generation of demi-fiends? :yeshaha:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Scibren/status/1141523681061081089

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

- You need to get your life together!
- We teach people how to teach us.
-> A year from now, you're gonna weigh more or less than what you do right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SoR Blaze posted:

Make a new Raidou game you cowards

It's a new generation, it's about time for Devil Survivor 3!