Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Gorelab posted:

I'm still not sure how ending dynastic rule actually makes things better since now all the other houses have a chance at the throne when he's dead.

The idea being that the next king is elected. This would of course turn into bloc politics where one big lord would make all the weaker lords vote for him or his candidate to be king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Katt posted:

The idea being that the next king is elected. This would of course turn into bloc politics where one big lord would make all the weaker lords vote for him or his candidate to be king.

Well, yeah, but in general elective monarchy at least in the real world wasn't an improvement, and often was worse since the monarchy doesn't have any centralized power.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

chaosapiant posted:

I feel like Bran was way more important to the plot before the Night King was shanked. After that, he's just kind of a literal know-it-all who knows tons of things that most people don't care about.

i've been broken by esperterra and am watching some pjakes vids and the ones I'm watching now he talks about how in a ton of GRRMs scifi writing he writes about collective minds that manipulate humans to achieve their own ends and point out that Bran is a parallel to this. The Weirwoods are really a collective consciousness of children of the forest, who have every reason to hate humans, and Bran could very well be controlled by them and part of a larger plan to get some revenge on mankind. so it's possible "bran becomes king" was in his notes, but in the GRRM version Bran is basically there to do as much harm as possible to humanity via his role as king. An independent North could keep all sorts of conflicts rolling along that should have been squashed which is probably what the children want.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Gorelab posted:

Well, yeah, but in general elective monarchy at least in the real world wasn't an improvement, and often was worse since the monarchy doesn't have any centralized power.

The best system was probably the Ottoman one where they just killed off all the heirs that wasn't going to become the "king"

No stray cousins with any claims on the throne, just the one heir. Yeah it was brutal but it certainly saved tens of thousands of lives in civil strife that racked other countries when a king died.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

jit bull transpile posted:

i've been broken by esperterra and am watching some pjakes vids and the ones I'm watching now he talks about how in a ton of GRRMs scifi writing he writes about collective minds that manipulate humans to achieve their own ends and point out that Bran is a parallel to this. The Weirwoods are really a collective consciousness of children of the forest, who have every reason to hate humans, and Bran could very well be controlled by them and part of a larger plan to get some revenge on mankind. so it's possible "bran becomes king" was in his notes, but in the GRRM version Bran is basically there to do as much harm as possible to humanity via his role as king. An independent North could keep all sorts of conflicts rolling along that should have been squashed which is probably what the children want.

I don't believe that. If the Children of the Forest want death to humans that badly, they'd have just let the White Walkers do their thing instead of try to stop them. Unless that doesn't happen in the books, so we'll see?

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Gorelab posted:

I'm still not sure how ending dynastic rule actually makes things better since now all the other houses have a chance at the throne when he's dead.

It's a wheel man like a wheel of time and when you break it you need someone who knows how all this time wheeling is going to end and really Bran is the only person who ever will know, and he's fictional :eng99:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think another poster already mentioned/alluded to this, but my sorta expectation for the end of the books is that the seven kingdoms will become seven actual independent kingdoms because anyone left with a decent claim and support to rule will be dead and buried.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, I agree with you about Jon. He makes too much sense as King to not pick him and the only reason not to is to subvert expectation without actually needing to justify it. I also wish they didn't call him Bran the Broken. Why not "Bran the Raven" or "Bran Three-Eyes"? Bran the Broken is not a name that will inspire fear or respect from potential foreign invaders. Or local ones.

In Norway we had a king called Inge the Hunchback.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

I think another poster already mentioned/alluded to this, but my sorta expectation for the end of the books is that the seven kingdoms will become seven actual independent kingdoms because anyone left with a decent claim and support to rule will be dead and buried.

I knew for a fact that Brienne had the most plot armor of any non-Stark and was going to get elected but in the end they went with a guy

She has a knighthood now damnit! And much like Hillary she likes to wander around in the forests

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

chaosapiant posted:

It wouldn't necessarily be a bad end if the book ended with that and someone in Volantis or Daario looking at a map and saying "time to unite the Seven Kingdoms".

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

At the very least we have another Targ in the books (pretty sure he’s not a phony) so it’ll be neat to see where that goes.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Literally every character in the room had a better story than Bran.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Literally every character in the room had a better story than Bran.

Especially unnamed dornish prince

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TK-42-1 posted:

That dude was handsome as gently caress. Like, too handsome to be king. No, Bran was the only choice. Good ol' Bran the Broken, as we all came to know and love him over the past 8 seasons. He sat under a tree that one time, you know. Fuckin' awesome story. Best in the show.

I think in the books FAegon is going to be Dany's big bad. Faegon takes King's Landing and all the people love him and Dany's just some random foreign Targ woman trying to ruin their new awesome way of life and none of them believe there were/are zombies coming. She burns them all because she's a spoiled teenager who didn't get her way this one time.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

I don't believe that. If the Children of the Forest want death to humans that badly, they'd have just let the White Walkers do their thing instead of try to stop them. Unless that doesn't happen in the books, so we'll see?

Except the white walkers also want to kill the children so that plan kinda sucks for them and gets them nothing. Puppet mastering Bran is safer for them and still accomplishes their goal of loving up humanity.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
Humanity doesn't need the supernatural intervention of the Children to engage in foolish wars and slaughter each other for, at best, questionable reasons. So if the Children's master plan was to manipulate a human king into ruling in a manner that causes civil unrest and leads to further wars, well, they may have well be using their magic to force fish to swim.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

banned from Starbucks posted:

Except the white walkers also want to kill the children so that plan kinda sucks for them and gets them nothing. Puppet mastering Bran is safer for them and still accomplishes their goal of loving up humanity.

This is probably true, but I never saw the White Walkers/Others as being against the CoF. They'll gladly run over them to reach their goal, which is to murder the three-eyed raven. But yea, I don't see the CoF in general being super concerned about humans at this point more than their own survival/safety. Perhaps one day Georgie will enlighten us!

Edit for words: In regards to Benjen/Coldhands, I'd like to think that even though GRRM dismissed that theory, he could probably say Coldhands isn't Benjen without lying, and it still be true. It'd be like saying "Lady Stoneheart is not Catelyn Stark" and argued that the differences in their nature are enough to argue they are different people.

Edit for even more words: Has there ever been any "proof" that Jaquen is not Syrio Forel? I'll always believe they are one and the same. Even if Georgie Boy says "they are different people" he'd not be lying because technically both Jaquen and Syrio are "no one".

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 18, 2019

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

chaosapiant posted:

Edit for even more words: Has there ever been any "proof" that Jaquen is not Syrio Forel? I'll always believe they are one and the same. Even if Georgie Boy says "they are different people" he'd not be lying because technically both Jaquen and Syrio are "no one".

Why would they be the same person?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Meryn Trant being alive after their fight?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

pseudanonymous posted:

Why would they be the same person?

Never saw Syrio die. Presumably he’d have been put in the black cells, where Jaquen came from. Both Braavosi. Both believe in the “one god; god of death.” Seems like a lot of coincidences and it makes once they’d keep Syrio alive to interrogate on where Arya went and it’d be nothing for him to change his face to escape with the Night’s Watch.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Never saw Syrio die. Presumably he’d have been put in the black cells, where Jaquen came from. Both Braavosi. Both believe in the “one god; god of death.” Seems like a lot of coincidences and it makes once they’d keep Syrio alive to interrogate on where Arya went and it’d be nothing for him to change his face to escape with the Night’s Watch.

So he was like on a ten-year mission to become a sword guy in order to train Arya, literally started doing the background work for the role before she was born?

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

TK-42-1 posted:

Men call him Darkstar, and he is of the night.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

So he was like on a ten-year mission to become a sword guy in order to train Arya, literally started doing the background work for the role before she was born?

syrio wasn't a faceless man, but of course a faceless man would go into ten years of deep cover in order to teach introductory swordplay and braavosi theology to some lord's daughter. that's what separates the faceless men from the random goon that joffrey hired to kill bran: the faceless men will go to insane extents to get the job done

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Fhate posted:

Humanity doesn't need the supernatural intervention of the Children to engage in foolish wars and slaughter each other for, at best, questionable reasons. So if the Children's master plan was to manipulate a human king into ruling in a manner that causes civil unrest and leads to further wars, well, they may have well be using their magic to force fish to swim.

To be fair, timing the foolish wars properly is probably important.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Alhazred posted:

In Norway we had a king called Inge the Hunchback.

To be perfectly fair about it though that was during Norway's civil war era* when any idiot could show up with some dumb kid, baby or teenager, claim that he was a long lost son of the old king and raise an army in his name.

*Read about this, it was a truly impressive shitshow. It primarily came about because Norway had pretty much no clear succession principle and no real laws concerning who could be a king, or how many kings there could be, just that people agreed you had to be related to a previous king, preferably being his son, with legitimate birth being of no great importance.

e: On a side note, the Franks often had a habit of naming kings for their vices and flaws than anything else, so you get kings with unflattering titles like "the Bald" and "the Fat" among others.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 19, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

pseudanonymous posted:

More likely if Syrio was a faceless man, he used being Aryas dancing master as a cover to get into the red keep. My newest theory is that he was sent to kill the “original” Jaquen and then took his face in the black cells. He allowed himself to be captured to complete his mission and allowed himself to take the black to escape suspicion. Very possible in this scenario that either the original Jaquen was killed and his face stolen and Rorge and Biter saw it and then became afraid of him. Or simply that the original Jaquen was already someone who was a criminal by reputation and Rorge/Biter thought he was still the original Jaquen.

Even if GRRM and the show runners say without doubt that “no, Syrio is dead”, it would still be true were he a faceless man.

It’s also possible that it’s just a red herring. But it’s a cool/fun thing to theorize about because afaik there is certainly no proof that the theory is false.

It also makes sense that Meryn Trant wouldn’t have killed Jaquen if his mission was to capture Arya. He’d be someone worth questioning.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think in the books FAegon is going to be Dany's big bad. Faegon takes King's Landing and all the people love him and Dany's just some random foreign Targ woman trying to ruin their new awesome way of life and none of them believe there were/are zombies coming. She burns them all because she's a spoiled teenager who didn't get her way this one time.

i think we can pretty much assume something like this

book cersei ain't cut out to be a serious rival to Dany, and there's nobody else around who'd really fit

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Something I haven't really thought about. Did Gurm decide to use ravens instead of homing pigeons for a reason beyond "lol it's fantasy"?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The idea that Faegon will become Dany's foe is really good, I like it! I do think that no matter how the books differ, Jon will still fall in love with/kill Dany. I thought this long before the show was a thing simply because it parallels the legend behind Azor Ahai and Nissa Nissa. I hope that the books change the order in which the ending is resolved from the show. I still think the Night King should be a much greater threat to Westeros than loving Cersei Lannister, the dumb poo poo whose every move causes ruin in her house and she's too stupid/up her own rear end to see it. No one that dumb should've survived this long in "The Game of Thrones."

I'd even be cool with Cersei siding with Dany to remove Faegon from power and/or help with the fight against the long night.

I ALSO think that book Faegon was rolled into Jon Snow in some sense, in that Jon Snow's real name is probably just Jon Snow, because why would Rhaegar give two kids the same exact name? OR Jon Snow is a red herring and Faegon will actually be The Prince Who Was Promised.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Something I haven't really thought about. Did Gurm decide to use ravens instead of homing pigeons for a reason beyond "lol it's fantasy"?

Pigeons are considered pests, not harbingers of Dark Portents

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Did we ever figure out if they're just homing ravens or if they're magically intelligent animals that you can tell to fly to a specific castle or w/e?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Vanadium posted:

Did we ever figure out if they're just homing ravens or if they're magically intelligent animals that you can tell to fly to a specific castle or w/e?

I was watching a PJakes video covering the Winds of Winter preview chapters where he claims it has the first and only mention of how this works, and basically most ravens return to one castle, a handful of rare ravens fly between 2, and "once in a century" ravens can fly between multiple castles.

It's the Theon chapter if that matters.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One scene I really liked in the show is when Samwell first arrives in Oldtowne and sees the Citadel. You can see white ravens flying from the top of the tower to signal Winter. I liked this because it’s just kinda there in the background and no one in that scene comments on it. I like poo poo like that.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

On the Fist of the First Men Sam has different cages for the ravens belonging to different keeps.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
tbh most of westeros should just use gendry instead of ravens it would be must faster

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

kalvanoo posted:

tbh most of westeros should just use gendry instead of ravens it would be must faster

Didn't it take him like 2 years to get from Dragonstone to Kings landing in a rowing boat?

Good ball by Dixon
Oct 18, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

One scene I really liked in the show is when Samwell first arrives in Oldtowne and sees the Citadel. You can see white ravens flying from the top of the tower to signal Winter. I liked this because it’s just kinda there in the background and no one in that scene comments on it. I like poo poo like that.
Yeah, it's a cool idea that they have a bunch of single use ravens transported to oldtown from all over the kingdom.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Arcsquad12 posted:

There was a line somewhere in there about how some king tried to replace the ravens with doves, but the ravens are bigger and less tempting of a target for some random hawk, so the change didn't stick.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Good ball by Dixon posted:

Yeah, it's a cool idea that they have a bunch of single use ravens transported to oldtown from all over the kingdom.

I just assumed Oldtowne bred and trained them. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

I was watching a PJakes video covering the Winds of Winter preview chapters where he claims it has the first and only mention of how this works, and basically most ravens return to one castle, a handful of rare ravens fly between 2, and "once in a century" ravens can fly between multiple castles.

It's the Theon chapter if that matters.

a cool thing about this is it that if ravens are this limited (in that you need more and more ravens whenever you add a communications channel) it helps the power structure stay intact

like, all the capitals and major strongholds have a big tower full of ravens that go pretty much everywhere

then Medium Dicked Regional Lord probably has ravens that go to his lord paramount, his immediate neighbors, and maybe 1-2 other places if he does a lot of trade with them or has intermarried recently

then Lord Dipshit from Mud Keep probably only has a raven that goes to his immediate liege, if that, and all of the landed knights and minor village potentates are lacking ravens entirely

hard to plan a successful rebellion against your liege lord if he's got a huge communications advantage over you, by virtue of being able to afford to maintain 30 ravens to your 5

Katt posted:

Didn't it take him like 2 years to get from Dragonstone to Kings landing in a rowing boat?

my dude have you ever tried running across the sea
doing it in 2 years is impressive imo