Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
DC had Vertigo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The '90s was really on the only time I feel that Marvel was completely outclassed by DC in every way. Marvel had a very rough '90s while a lot of my favorite DC stuff is from the '90s.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

bessantj posted:

This will probably be based on taste but which of the big two put out the better stuff in the 90s?
DC had stand-outs like Morrison's JLA, Waid's Flash, Ostrander's Spectre, Knightfall (which admittedly is not as good as I remember), Long Halloween, Kingdom Come, Young Justice (and Impulse and Superboy), Sandman, Preacher, the post-Zero Hour Legion, and James Robinson's Starman. Zero Hour and a lot of the fifth-week events were forgettable at best, but DC One Million was at the very least a fascinating experiment. I cannot say the same for the Clone Saga. Marvel had Miller's Daredevil, Marvels, Thunderbolts, and Kelly's Deadpool, but I think Marvel fell much harder for the Image-led razzledazzle sales-first storytelling approach. Onslaught/Heroes Reborn was a misfire. X-Men was huge at the time, but I can't think of much that I'd want to go back and read again other than maybe Fatal Attractions or Age of Apocalypse. I was going to say Punisher Born and Welcome Back Frank but those were both in the 00's.
Yeah, I'd give it to DC.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Marvel had some good stuff in the early '90s and less good stuff in the late '90s but in the middle there was a wasteland.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Heroes Reborn. Sue Storm's 4 boob window. VENGEANCE.

Marvel was DIRE in much if the 90s.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

X-O posted:

Marvel had some good stuff in the early '90s and less good stuff in the late '90s but in the middle there was a wasteland.

Venom's antihero run lasted from 1993 to 1998 and... oh.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Heroes Reborn. Sue Storm's 4 boob window. VENGEANCE.

Marvel was DIRE in much if the 90s.

But Age of Apocalypse and Thunderbolts. DC probably still wins in the balance, but it's a lie to think Marvel was completely barren.

Of course I'm the kind of idiot who thinks Clone Saga had chunks of good comics.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 17, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

Venom's antihero run lasted from 1993 to 1998 and... oh.

Yeah. I know.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Cubone posted:

DC had stand-outs like Morrison's JLA, Waid's Flash, Ostrander's Spectre, Knightfall (which admittedly is not as good as I remember), Long Halloween, Kingdom Come, Young Justice (and Impulse and Superboy), Sandman, Preacher, the post-Zero Hour Legion, and James Robinson's Starman. Zero Hour and a lot of the fifth-week events were forgettable at best, but DC One Million was at the very least a fascinating experiment. I cannot say the same for the Clone Saga. Marvel had Miller's Daredevil, Marvels, Thunderbolts, and Kelly's Deadpool, but I think Marvel fell much harder for the Image-led razzledazzle sales-first storytelling approach. Onslaught/Heroes Reborn was a misfire. X-Men was huge at the time, but I can't think of much that I'd want to go back and read again other than maybe Fatal Attractions or Age of Apocalypse. I was going to say Punisher Born and Welcome Back Frank but those were both in the 00's.
Yeah, I'd give it to DC.

On the DC side, I'd also throw in the Death/Rebirth of Superman. In fact, I enjoyed Superman in general during the "triangle number" era. Even Electric Superman and Longhair Superman.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How long did Electric Superman last because it seems like a bit of a stupid idea? Though I haven't read it so I could be really wrong.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Random Stranger posted:

Just start with Mark Waid's run. It was designed explicitly as a way to get people onto Legion without having to worry about the decades of cruft. If you like that, then you can start poking around Legion history.

1994 Waid run or 2004 Waid run?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The best part about Electric Superman was Morrison having to use him in JLA and doing stuff which the Superman writers complained he wasn't able to do. To which Morrison responded no one bothered to tell him what his powers were.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Selachian posted:

On the DC side, I'd also throw in the Death/Rebirth of Superman. In fact, I enjoyed Superman in general during the "triangle number" era. Even Electric Superman and Longhair Superman.
Honestly, I waffled on whether to name Death/Return as either either a positive or negative and ended up doing neither. I think somebody could make a pretty good case either way.
Same with Hal Jordan's story between Emerald Twilight and Day of Judgement.

The one thing I'm comfortable saying DC unequivocally hosed up in the 90's was Hawkman's continuity.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Electric Supes shows up in Starman, isn't commented on, and regular Supes shows up at the end of the series without reference to the change.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Of the big two what were the one best and worst of their 90s output?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

But Age of Apocalypse and Thunderbolts. DC probably still wins in the balance, but it's a lie to think Marvel was completely barren.

Basically between 1994 and 1997 (basically, when Marvel Knights started and Priest's Black Panther run began) the only Marvel books you needed to read were written by Kurt Busiek.

Beerdeer posted:

1994 Waid run or 2004 Waid run?

2004. It's generally called "three-boot" by nerds.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Random Stranger posted:

Basically between 1994 and 1997 (basically, when Marvel Knights started and Priest's Black Panther run began) the only Marvel books you needed to read were written by Kurt Busiek.

Last I checked he didn't write Age of Apocalypse.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Last I checked he didn't write Age of Apocalypse.

I know what I posted. :colbert:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Cubone posted:

The one thing I'm comfortable saying DC unequivocally hosed up in the 90's was Hawkman's continuity.

Even then, I'd say Hawkworld (both the Tim Truman original miniseries and the Ostrander-written ongoing that followed) were pretty good comics if you could ignore the continuity problems. I still love the scene where Katar and Shayera, as cops from an authoritarian alien planet, sit down to read the Constitution and Declaration of Independence and are just boggled that any society can possibly work this way.

On the Marvel side in the 90s, I'd also point to PAD's Hulk as a high point, although it did start in the late 80s.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Selachian posted:

On the Marvel side in the 90s, I'd also point to PAD's Hulk as a high point, although it did start in the late 80s.

Although by the mid-90s David would use Hulk to take pot-shots at Erik Larsen in their ongoing slap-fight. That's pretty late in his run, though.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Christopher Priest's Black Panther started in 1998, and if Kurt Busiek's Avengers has aged less elegantly than Morrison's JLA, it was still a huge breath of fresh air. You also had, briefly, Alan Davis doing Excalibur as a wonderful weird auteur thing. There were also a ton of fun, interesting books that haven't stuck around in the cultural memory as much as Thunderbolts and Deadpool-- Pasqual Ferry's Warlock, John Ostrander on Heroes For Hire, Slingers, Quicksilver's understated little solo run, etc.

Earlier, you had Mark Gruenwald's magnum opus Quasar, D.G. Chichester's uneven but influential run on Daredevil, and some excellent early Chris Bachalo pencils, Warren Ellis on Excalibur, and fairly fun stints of other cosmic books like Silver Surfer. PAD was wrapping up his landmark Hulk tenure and of course had a brief but very influential turn on X-Factor.

I didn't read DC much growing up, so I can't really compare them until, say, 1998 or so, but certainly there was no shortage of good, readable comics from either company at any point of the decade.

Edit: I'm also bizarrely fond of the meandering, pointless, but very charming Seagle/Kelly era of the X-books, but I don't know if I'd call them "good." Despite the perennial Liefeld jokes, X-Force was quite readable throughout much of the decade. Nicieza has his Nicieza thing, he does it well, often with lovely Capullo pencils, and John Francis Moore's lengthy stint is a nice alternative to Gen X, with stand-out art by Jim Cheung and Adam Pollina. There's also Larry Hama's justly well remembered Wolverine. Lots to choose from!

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 18, 2019

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Transmet started on DC (kind of) in the late 90s which puts them pretty firmly in the win column for me

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I recently sold or donated most of my 4000-book late 80s to mid-90s comic collection and the only complete run I cared about enough to save was Alan Davis' Excalibur.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Endless Mike posted:

The best part about Electric Superman was Morrison having to use him in JLA and doing stuff which the Superman writers complained he wasn't able to do. To which Morrison responded no one bothered to tell him what his powers were.

Also the best: Norm MacDonald getting openly mopey about the design on SNL.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Still reading every issue of PAD's Hulk run and got inspired to throw out a couple of questions:

1) Whatever happened to the Pantheon? They established the hell out of that organization and its key members — they felt like a legit big deal, like something that could have become an interesting part of the world — and then, after what felt like a bit of a rushed storyline, they're straight up gone.

2) The transition from those extremely good Joe Rosen letters to Comicraft was jarring. Whatever happened to all those old school letterers after things went insanely digital?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

1) Whatever happened to the Pantheon? They established the hell out of that organization and its key members — they felt like a legit big deal, like something that could have become an interesting part of the world — and then, after what felt like a bit of a rushed storyline, they're straight up gone.

The rushed storyline to get them out of there was editorial mandate to get the Hulk back to "normal" which meant dumping the supporting organization. And since then they've only appeared a tiny handful of times; Greg Pak had Cho run into them briefly and David had them pop up for a moment in his X-Factor run. Presumably, they're just another secret organization and so heavily associated with Hulk that no one wanted to bother doing anything with them again.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Besides Deadpool, are there any comics characters who are parodies that got bigger than the original?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

Besides Deadpool, are there any comics characters who are parodies that got bigger than the original?

Lobo

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lobo wasn't created as parody, he turned into one later. Also he's not bigger than Wolverine or Punisher or whoever else he's supposed to be a parody of.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He was absolutely created as a parody. Here's straight from the horse's mouth:

quote:

To explain, Giffen said he was trying to create a character that would parody other comic characters of the time. "It was back when, like, supposed heroes were out there shooting people and doing villainous stuff and claiming to be heroes," he said. "I thought I'd come up with a character that made fun of it.

"And he caught on," he said.

"Lobo was created to be an indictment of the very genre that he became a poster boy for. That backfired on me viciously! I thought Lobo would be one mini-series and then, 'The End.' I thought he was that reprehensible."
https://www.newsarama.com/18792-giffen-on-lobo-redesign-i-had-may-say-it-s-someone-else-s-turn.html

I'll concede he's not as big a character as Wolverine or Punisher, but he's big enough to be on TV and a consistent character since he was created.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Golden Bee posted:

Arguably the Ninja Turtles?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Random Stranger posted:

The rushed storyline to get them out of there was editorial mandate to get the Hulk back to "normal" which meant dumping the supporting organization. And since then they've only appeared a tiny handful of times; Greg Pak had Cho run into them briefly and David had them pop up for a moment in his X-Factor run. Presumably, they're just another secret organization and so heavily associated with Hulk that no one wanted to bother doing anything with them again.

I thought the Pantheon was pretty well taken off the board by PAD but it seems they've shown up since, albeit very briefly, and usually, so far as I can tell, in the pages of The Incredible Hulk. I guess Agamemnon returned in the Heroic Age: Prince of Power mini, regained control of the Pantheon, and made life difficult for Hercules and Amadeus Cho for a bit there? Then he showed up in PAD's X-Factor and got killed by Rahne's wolf-god-baby? Jesus, I read most of those comics and had completely forgotten that.

Their old HQ was the base the heroes were using in Secret Empire, at least...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What did happen to Rahne's kid? Is he(?) now and orphan?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

SiKboy posted:

Arguably the Ninja Turtles?

I’d say that counts.

With all the Teen Titans media, I’d say Terra is almost neck and neck with Kitty Pryde.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

Teen Titans Go!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’d say that counts.

With all the Teen Titans media, I’d say Terra is almost neck and neck with Kitty Pryde.

Which major Hollywood films has Terra been in again?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Endless Mike posted:

He was absolutely created as a parody. Here's straight from the horse's mouth:

https://www.newsarama.com/18792-giffen-on-lobo-redesign-i-had-may-say-it-s-someone-else-s-turn.html

I'll concede he's not as big a character as Wolverine or Punisher, but he's big enough to be on TV and a consistent character since he was created.
The language there isn't really precise, but Lobo was created as just a straight up minor villain for the Omega Men series. It wasn't until considerably later, maybe during L.E.G.I.O.N., that he became the parody of super-violent anti-heroes that Giffen is describing in that blurb. Giffen even says "one mini-series and then the End", describing a mini-series that came out seven years after Giffen had used the character in Omega Men, L.E.G.I.O.N, Justice League, etc.

Even then, it was sort of a generalized parody of ultraviolent "heroes", and sort of the accidental opening of the floodgates for making Venom, Sabretooth, and every other popular bad guy an "anti-hero" in the 1990s.

Though the whole question is on slippery ground since Deadpool wasn't created to be a parody of Deathstroke, he was just a straight-up ripoff. Deadpool in his initial Liefeld-driven appearances was just a straight ripoff, he didn't start doing anything particularly funny or fourth-wall-breaking or anything else until several years later.

By this rationale, Lex Luthor counts as a parody of Doctor Sivana and almost certainly wins.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Though the whole question is on slippery ground since Deadpool wasn't created to be a parody of Deathstroke, he was just a straight-up ripoff. Deadpool in his initial Liefeld-driven appearances was just a straight ripoff, he didn't start doing anything particularly funny or fourth-wall-breaking or anything else until several years later.

Yeah, I don't think Wade was ever particularly written with an eye towards being funny until Joe Kelly's run. Having re-read his initial appearances Deadpool is mostly a chatterbox.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I don't think Wade was ever particularly written with an eye towards being funny until Joe Kelly's run. Having re-read his initial appearances Deadpool is mostly a chatterbox.

Rob thought he was funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Golden Bee posted:

TMNT is a clear winner.

Watchmen? Not really a parody, but I'd wager the average person is more aware of Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan than The Question and Captain Atom.