Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
hi thread, how is the war?

did some structure grinding earlier with my super which was fun but real life caught up hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nex posted:

hi thread, how is the war?

did some structure grinding earlier with my super which was fun but real life caught up hard.

as best i can tell, every day nc/pl wake up and hope our last punch to their face wore us out, and every day has been a disappointment for them on that front

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

evilweasel posted:

as best i can tell, every day nc/pl wake up and hope our last punch to their face wore us out, and every day has been a disappointment for them on that front

both alliances are basically withered shells of their former selves, and don't have much more going for them than some other pubby alliances like TEST at this point

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
The truth is, they all have alts in the Imperium and they prefer the miner life

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Landsknecht posted:

both alliances are basically withered shells of their former selves, and don't have much more going for them than some other pubby alliances like TEST at this point

People in TEST probably login and do things though, so in that regard TEST is probably better than PL/NC at this point :laffo:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Wibla posted:

Did you get lost trying to find the EV thread?

One of my directors coined this war "World War Coward" ... and I can't really argue against that, heh.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

World War Flee?

Hot take: "World War [Word]" has been done to death and isn't witty.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

this goon invasion is the death knell of eve online - goons are strong enough now that nobody can oppose them in open conflict except the entire rest of the game combined, and their growth outpaces everyone else so eventually not even that will be enough

the reason pibc (army of mango) left serenity and came to tq is because this already happened to them there, there is so little to do on their server that the game is completely and irrevocably dead, and so they came to ours

when it comes to the point that goons have no content due to everyone getting crushed or blued, no one else will have any content either, and there isn't another server for us to move to after tq dies

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Eve is dying, reeeee.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

dragonshardz posted:

Hot take: "World War [Word]" has been done to death and isn't witty.

Tbf World War Coward is pretty funny.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

this goon invasion is the death knell of eve online - goons are strong enough now that nobody can oppose them in open conflict except the entire rest of the game combined, and their growth outpaces everyone else so eventually not even that will be enough

the reason pibc (army of mango) left serenity and came to tq is because this already happened to them there, there is so little to do on their server that the game is completely and irrevocably dead, and so they came to ours

when it comes to the point that goons have no content due to everyone getting crushed or blued, no one else will have any content either, and there isn't another server for us to move to after tq dies

this is what I said a few times some pages back, and there were a bunch of bad "they need to get gud" posts.

This is the reality of what is happening though. Like I said, goons won. Now they're king of everything -- and nothing.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
We can all finally play much better games once it dies and i no longer have the guilt over sunken time with this game.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Kimsemus posted:

this is what I said a few times some pages back, and there were a bunch of bad "they need to get gud" posts.

This is the reality of what is happening though. Like I said, goons won. Now they're king of everything -- and nothing.

aaaaany day now. Yup. game dead.

People have been saying that for years. Globby has been saying it since the day after he subbed. Still not dead. Weird. It's almost like if you keep saying it's dead, then when it does finally die ya'all can go "see, totally called it. :smug:"

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

no but you see we need to disarm ourselves to save the game

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Like I said

Reset the whole thing and reroll the galaxy

Credit people some skill points or something

Lore explanation is "triglavians killed everyone but Concord low-key cruised through the Eve gates"

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Can't wait for infrastructure week

Replacing every gate and bridge with bridging titans owns

New eye of terror puts a full fleet of titans in bridge range of every system

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Like poo poo should get extremely ridiculous while we do victory laps until the game is reset

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

its been a fun decade of people claiming we only say titans are cancer because we're not elite enough to have them

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

no but you see we need to disarm ourselves to save the game

https://i.imgur.com/MwP9V5t.gifv

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

evilweasel posted:

its been a fun decade of people claiming we only say titans are cancer because we're not elite enough to have them

delete all supers.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Paramemetic posted:

Like I said

Reset the whole thing and reroll the galaxy

Credit people some skill points or something

Lore explanation is "triglavians killed everyone but Concord low-key cruised through the Eve gates"

How would that change anything? Goons are top dogs because we have the best organization and numbers. If the galaxy was reset that wouldn't change. It would just take a couple months before anyone was in super caps.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

We won EVE by sheer organizational skill and the existence of SA that ties many people together outside of EVE. You can't nerf that. Even if other alliances had the same numbers, no other alliance in the game would be able to sustain them in the way Goons do. I love Mittani's way of putting it: "A nerf to us is an even bigger nerf to our enemies." Simply because we somehow always find a way to use the existing game mechanics to their full potential where others can't or won't. And even if some spy were to break Goonswarm apart tomorrow, we'd just rebuild instead of turning over and dying. That much has been proven like three times already, if not more.

Will we use the power of being the unbeatable force on TQ responsibly?

No... no probably not.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wibla posted:

Eve is dying, reeeee.

Serious reply; user numbers have tanked heavily since 2013, but Eve-Online is the most profitable it has ever been according to CCP. This is due to whales buying ship skins, PLEX, and skill injectors.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Serious reply; user numbers have tanked heavily since 2013, but Eve-Online is the most profitable it has ever been according to CCP. This is due to whales buying ship skins, PLEX, and skill injectors.

and ccp not spending a dime on coders

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

The game was designed in 2003. I have to imagine moores law has made running the servers exponentially cheaper over time.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Rutibex posted:

The game was designed in 2003. I have to imagine moores law has made running the servers exponentially cheaper over time.

as a non computer smartyman, what does this mean in terms of costs of running the game?

evilweasel posted:

this is almost certainly true

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

evilweasel posted:

CCP benefits a huge amount from hisec nerds moving to a large "safe" alliance and then whipping out their credit card to bling out a titanguy+titan

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kimsemus posted:

as a non computer smartyman, what does this mean in terms of costs of running the game?

2003 was the same year that Knight of the Old Republic and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City was released. Imagine how powerful of a computer you would need to run those games today. They run on a low end phone. Yeah EVE has had a few graphical update here and there, but that's all client side. I'd bet the server software has around the same processing overhead as it did back in 2003. That means they could likely run the EVE server off of a cheap netbook or maybe an iPhone 7.

Also bandwidth is 1000x cheaper today than it was in 2003.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Rutibex posted:

That means they could likely run the EVE server off of a cheap netbook or maybe an iPhone 7.

Well, at least your custom user title is accurate.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rutibex posted:

2003 was the same year that Knight of the Old Republic and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City was released. Imagine how powerful of a computer you would need to run those games today. They run on a low end phone. Yeah EVE has had a few graphical update here and there, but that's all client side. I'd bet the server software has around the same processing overhead as it did back in 2003. That means they could likely run the EVE server off of a cheap netbook or maybe an iPhone 7.

Also bandwidth is 1000x cheaper today than it was in 2003.

the server software strains current chips to their absolute limit since it is single-threaded

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Rutibex posted:

That means they could likely run the EVE server off of a cheap netbook or maybe an iPhone 7.

Perfect avatar/post combo ever...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Eve-Online is a completely different game from when it released in 2003, including a gigantic amount of new server side content. How communicating with CCPs servers has been completely rewritten multiple times. Things like huge PvP battles, while not perfect still, are way better than they use to be. I know it's fun to roast CCP for poor choices, and they certainly have made a lot, but it's not accurate to say Eve-Online hasn't changed at all since its original launch.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

the server software strains current chips to their absolute limit since it is single-threaded

Yeah, when there are 1000+ people in the same system. The fact that EVE can even pull that off is testament to the low server overhead. Back in 2003 you couldn't even buy a multi core processor, now you can get 18 cores in one. The systems are instanced so today a typical processor can run 18 systems, where in 2003 it could only do one. I'd say that's a savings.

But who knows, I'm sure it's still running on the original hardware and hasn't cost them a dime since 2003 :shrug:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't know about server side, but Eve-Online on the user side is going 64bit later this year.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I don't know about server side, but Eve-Online on the user side is going 64bit later this year.

the 64 bit client is already out there in beta. I'm using it right now.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Rutibex posted:

But who knows, I'm sure it's still running on the original hardware and hasn't cost them a dime since 2003 :shrug:

Im not sure of you are being sarcastic here but I remember a few years ago they did a massive upgrade.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Can I get eve online classic please

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, when there are 1000+ people in the same system. The fact that EVE can even pull that off is testament to the low server overhead. Back in 2003 you couldn't even buy a multi core processor, now you can get 18 cores in one. The systems are instanced so today a typical processor can run 18 systems, where in 2003 it could only do one. I'd say that's a savings.

from what I understand though -- EVE is hosted on some pretty beefy, fairly unique/up-to-date hardware, I remember reading an article where DoD experts helped them set it up or something.

I can tell you from firsthand experience, playing back in 2003, that the game has a lot more going on now, does a lot more, and handles things a lot better than it did back then, so I'm not 100% certain it's cheaper to run now than it was then, except by virtue of less R&D to get the whole system working, perhaps.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Titans are the new rifters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Foehammer007 posted:

Can I get eve online classic please

I, too, want no warp to zero on gates and 24 hour max skill queues