Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

John Murdoch posted:

Like the player that decided "I'm already playing a Nazi, welp in for a penny, in for a pound" and added overt pedophilia on top. :yikes:

Reddit Man is an interesting role play choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I just wish Poison had alternate animations. Other sets and powers that do the whole "I'm using my mouth to harm you!" schtick let you swap it out for hand blast-y stuff, but not Poison. :(
i wish you could make people puke even harder with it

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Any opinions about Savage Assault as a dominator set? I've shied away from it because the Blood Craze stacks seem real unlikely to get used as a dominator, but I'm curious whether it works out ignoring the gimmick.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

CoX powers/building discourse always has this problem. poison is factually, objectively worse than other choices, but it's also factually, objectively fine to play if you want to.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

LordSaturn posted:

CoX powers/building discourse always has this problem. poison is factually, objectively worse than other choices, but it's also factually, objectively fine to play if you want to.

That's why I almost go for themes. Optimal play is boring to me.

poo poo man, I like all the archery powers. ALL OF THEM.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Any opinions about Savage Assault as a dominator set? I've shied away from it because the Blood Craze stacks seem real unlikely to get used as a dominator, but I'm curious whether it works out ignoring the gimmick.

it's cool, you shoot swarms of birds at people

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

LordSaturn posted:

I have trouble not taking matching pairs of sets so archery has to be paired with trick arrow and makes me do things like an ice/ice tanker. May not be the best choices but it makes me happy.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

clone on the phone posted:

I have trouble not taking matching pairs of sets so archery has to be paired with trick arrow and makes me do things like an ice/ice tanker. May not be the best choices but it makes me happy.

RAD/RAD tanker is Super Rad

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

I AM THE MOON posted:

RAD/RAD tanker is Super Rad

Pick whatever powersets you like, whatever sounds fun. The MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember is that your name must be as punny as possible.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I like showing off and Ive sunk enough time in my SG base. Use the code goons-3187 to take a look.

Im going to continue to work on it instead of finally getting a character to 50 because Im weird.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Is there like, a guide to making a fire farmer

I want to live off the land like an amish person, farming's the life for me

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Roll a spines/fire brute and do the AE mission Fire on the table/fire on the floor ect. whatever that has fire-dealing enemies.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I made one and just did mission 125 to max level and beyond. I was lucky and got a PL to level 22 or so, but after that I just put in some IOs and chugged purples and reds until the build filled out and got better.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Step 1: Pick your flavor of Brute farmer. At minimum you want something that has good AoE and can cap Fire Defense/Resistance decently.

Spines/Fire is the gold standard because you get two damage aura toggles and two hard hitting PBAoE attacks that wreck things.
But really, any primary with a decent AoE attack and /Fire is going to work because Fiery Embrace will make it work.

Step 2: Costume/Name pick to taste. Arguably the Most Important Step.

Step 3: Level up a bunch.
Step 3a: Get some seed money.

Do whatever you want to get your first 20 or so levels. Using XP Boosters is fine, you'll be selling most (if not all) of the stuff you pick up in order to spend it on things you need.
Namely, disable every inspiration drop except purple defenses (and damage if you want, but you NEED purple defenses.) That'll run you somewhere around 10k by itself.

Step 4: Farm.

Once you've got a decent set of powers, set your level to -1/x8 with Bosses set to Off, that's your baseline of effectiveness. Slot IO's at 22/27 to taste. (This is what your seed money is for.)

Go to AE entertainment and use the consoles on the second floor to pick your fire farm of choice. Choose standard rewards, so you can just dump your loot on the Inspiration Lady when re-buying your defense candies.

Cap out on defense inspirations then do the AE farm. Pop 3 inspirations and grab 2 groups of your choice and keep that train rolling as long and as fast as you can. Adjust difficulty to your liking. Sell everything you can, slot whatever you need to slot in to keep things moving.

And that's pretty much it. The only change is that once you hit 50 you'll want to look up/make some builds that crank your damage, fire defense and fire resist up so you can wean yourself off of purple inspirations and get damages instead so you can farm faster. Also Incarnate stuff really helps getting up to speed with a minimum of cash investment.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

EponymousMrYar posted:

Namely, disable every inspiration drop except purple defenses (and damage if you want, but you NEED purple defenses.) That'll run you somewhere around 10k by itself.

I'd been given to understand that disabling inspiration drops other than X doesn't actually mean X drops more often, just that it blocks every drop but the one you selected. IE; if it determines you'd roll a green, you instead just get nothing instead.
It seems like an inspiration conversion macro (or just disabling Awaken inspirations and eating the candy as it drops) would be a better option.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Crasical posted:

I'd been given to understand that disabling inspiration drops other than X doesn't actually mean X drops more often, just that it blocks every drop but the one you selected. IE; if it determines you'd roll a green, you instead just get nothing instead.
It seems like an inspiration conversion macro (or just disabling Awaken inspirations and eating the candy as it drops) would be a better option.

That is true, yeah. I think the team inspirations and dual inspirations work the same way; they don't add any additional chances for things to drop, they're just added to their pools. ie, enabling team and dual inspirations would make it so dual or team dual purple+oranges have a chance to drop whenever a purple or orange is slated to drop. Disabling just oranges means you disable dual and team dual purple+oranges, but you'd still have team purples.

fwiw I just disable awakens and break frees and mash insps every so often. I could do a combine macro to be more efficient, but I like having the dual and team inspirations on and you can't combine those.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Crasical posted:

This is correct. That is a heck of a lot of candy to eat though, plus you can't eat candy while you do moves.

The RNG is streaky either way, it's just lazier to disable everything except the one you need :v:

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
I've been farming with my Staff/Fire Brute, (I'm actually surprised how decent she is at it. I'm sure Spines and Radiation are better primaries, but Staff seems to do pretty well with those two giant cones and PBAoE finisher it has.) and I found that disabling wakies wasn't enough for me.

I briefly tried micromanaging dropped inspirations to combine them into reds and purples, but found it honestly stressful to keep up with when minions die simultaneously and flood your bar with junk. And one run later I decided to disable everything but reds and purples, because even just spamming useless inspirations can take time off actually using your abilities. Your mileage may vary of course!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Capping your defences cuts out a lot of the micro. Since you won't need purples anymore you can just make a couple of macros that combine small/medium inspirations into damage and spam them once in a while (you have to make two, the character limit won't allow you to do them all with one).

No idea if there's a way to do this in game, but if you don't mind running an external program like freepie or autohotkey, you can make it happen automatically. Either have the script fire the macros periodically or have it fire them every time you use another skill. Your tray will be continually filled with damage inspirations as you fight.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Once I got incarnate stuff (took under two hours farming to go from level 49 to Hybrid unlocked) somewhat slotted I stopped worrying about inspirations altogether. They were just slowing me down.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

EponymousMrYar posted:

Step 2: Costume/Name pick to taste. Arguably the Most Important Step.

I named my farmer Garbage.

Did I do this right?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I think I broke a pubbie's brain when I asked how many merits someone could hold and I said I had 1000. they told me i should convert them into influence by converting them into converters!

My build is finished, blaster soft capped to S/L/E, ranged 32% and Im sitting on 100m as I badge about. I dont NEED to do anything like that.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I would like to see a list of the most popular builds and a breakdown why they are.

Count me is as one of those blaster haters because they used to be squishy. I still made one but he's group only, just in case.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

tooterfish posted:

Capping your defences cuts out a lot of the micro. Since you won't need purples anymore you can just make a couple of macros that combine small/medium inspirations into damage and spam them once in a while (you have to make two, the character limit won't allow you to do them all with one).

No idea if there's a way to do this in game, but if you don't mind running an external program like freepie or autohotkey, you can make it happen automatically. Either have the script fire the macros periodically or have it fire them every time you use another skill. Your tray will be continually filled with damage inspirations as you fight.

Is this more beneficial than just blocking defense inspirations/whatever else at the P2W vendor?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Maybe my quick guide to AE farming should get a link in the OP or something?

Possibly with a note about "block Awakens and Break Frees at the P2W vendor, make a couple of macros to handle smushing other inspiration types into reds and purples."

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I spent way too much time thinking about this one

Translation if you don't want to read backwards:

You always told your kids not to do it, although you weren't really sure. But you just HAD to know and you finally played that record backwards after you found it in storage. Well I'm here now and you aren't, stupid boomer scum. Ha ha ha ha!

Stairway to Heaven

"Oh here’s to my sweet Satan. The one whose little path would make me sad, whose power is Satan. He will give those with him 666. There was a little tool shed where he made us suffer, sad Satan.” (These are the supposed demonic lyrics if you play Stairway to Heaven backwards).

Demon names will be:

Yzo Enruobso

Seltaeb
Neeuq

Reyals
Selgae
Xyts

I'm debating going all in and only typing backwards in team chat

Edit: Also, I typed the bio up on my phone and it automatically underlined the phrase "tool shed". I clicked on it and it linked me to a gay bar in California. I took it as a sign that the dark lord was blessing my work. Laih Natas!

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 18, 2019

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Spanish Matlock posted:

Is this more beneficial than just blocking defense inspirations/whatever else at the P2W vendor?
Blocked inspirations still drop, they just get deleted immediately. So overall you'll get fewer inspirations by blocking them.

mastajake posted:

Once I got incarnate stuff (took under two hours farming to go from level 49 to Hybrid unlocked) somewhat slotted I stopped worrying about inspirations altogether. They were just slowing me down.
Hey you do you man. Good inspiration management can keep you at (or close to) the damage cap for almost the entire run though.

My clear speed drops dramatically without it. Maybe my build's just poo poo though.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 18, 2019

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Freakazoid_ posted:

I would like to see a list of the most popular builds and a breakdown why they are.

Count me is as one of those blaster haters because they used to be squishy. I still made one but he's group only, just in case.

I can cover a couple, though maybe some others would wanna chime in and mention ones I forgot or I don't know as much about. It's not exactly scientific and not all of them are insanely popular anymore, but mostly just standouts that I remember.

Ice/Fire Blaster: gently caress off amounts of AOE. Blizzard is lowkey the highest damage nuke out there. Burn is insane. You've got plenty of other AOE attacks to cycle through, and a good amount of control that comes in Ice. You can pick up Mace or Cold mastery to softcap yourself to smashing/lethal without too much trouble.

Fire/Kin Controller: one of the classic farming builds, though I'm not sure how it measures up to the modern superstars. Fire is a very offensive control set, with a spammable AOE immob to help set up for the Controller's inherent double damage against CC'd targets. Hot Feet, Bonfire, and Fire Imps are all stars for damage. Kinetics is independently insanely good, but the idea being that you damage cap yourself and your lovely little imps as they run through everything like buzzsaws. Ice Mastery gives you more AOE and a way to softcap smashing/lethal.

Illusion/Rad Controller: premier AV and GM soloing machine of yore. Phantom Army is the real culprit here, summoning 3 invincible tanks that taunt everything for a set duration. You need a ton of recharge to make them permanent, but between your invulnerable army and Radiation's huge debuff potential, it lets you whittle down anything you want.

Dark/Dark/Dark Defender: D3s aren't really huge these days anymore, but I feel like it's still somewhat noteworthy. Dark Miasma is ridiculous and controller-lite territory, while you're also debuffing the tohit rates of enemies through the floor. Soul Drain in the APP lets you keep your damage up, all your attacks debuff tohit even more. It's just really solid, even if Defenders can feel outclassed by other ATs at times.

Titan/Bio Scrapper: most likely the top single target damage in the game, and pretty good AOE to boot. Needs copious amounts of recharge to make its attack chain function at that level, lots of ways to deal with endurance, and is a pretty significant late bloomer. Dubiously one of the more "skill intensive" sets since missing attacks means nothing out of the Momentum mechanic and you have to improvise. Bio is independently insane, and its Offensive adaption hurts your resists while boosting the Scrapper's already high damage and adding a global toxic proc, plus debuffing resists (along with -res procs in Titan's attacks.) Defenses are fairly reactive, but you can still hit some defense softcaps and plug up any endurance issues easily.

Electric/Shield Scrapper: super fun on a Scrapper, possibly even better on a Stalker. Lots of AOE goodness, though the ST damage lacks a bit (which is why the Stalker version looks even greater.) Shield pretty easily softcaps positional defenses and provides tons and tons of offensive utility with a stacking damage boost on its taunt aura, and Shield Charge. Plus you get to teleport around like an idiot.

Spines/Fire Brute: also Super Strength was very strong in this combo, too. Really, most things and /Fire will do you good. The strength is really in Fiery Embrace and Burn, with the double damage auras and Spines' AOE and Cones doing good work too. For Super Strength, it's double stacking rage with Footstomp and the Force Feedback proc making your poo poo recharge real fast. Primarily these excel at farming, but they can be built for general purposes, though Spines lacks a lot against single strong targets.

Street Justice/anything Stalker: pretty strong contender for one of the top single target melee sets before Titan Weapons came along. Still a deal more accessible than it. Combo system plays nice with the innate one that works with Assassin's Strike, and it just tears through tough targets real fast. Secondary isn't so important here, but something with endurance management or extra recharge could help. Bio or Energy Aura are my own recommendations.

Bots/Traps or Rad or Time or Cold or something Mastermind: also a good contender for a strong AV/GM killer. Bots have some innate -regen in their attacks, and come pretty sturdy. Any of the mentioned secondaries pack some amount of -regen and some help for keeping the robots alive.

Fire/Time/Soul Corruptor: kitted out, its pretty disgusting. Very solid all arounder, using Fire's strong AOE and single target plus Time's grab bag of good poo poo to keep alive. You use Power Boost with Far Sight to dramatically boost its defense for the whole duration, Hasten and Chrono Boost to keep each other permanent and providing oodles of recharge, and you've just got a package that's bringing damage, support, control, and is pretty sturdy to boot. Can be pretty high maintenance, but the reward is good.

Plant/Fire Dominator: plant is a very solid control set. A big cone confuse that's up for every pack, Carrion Creepers being this weird everything-at-once power, a pet, and good damage in its AOE immobilize. Fire brings lots of damage with a Fiery Embrace power and strong single target, with just a bit of AOE. Your ancillary choice can either add more fire AOE if you wanna live on the edge, or Ice for softcapping defense and a still solid amount of AOE.

Fire/Psi Dominator: for the same reasons Fire is good on Controllers, it's good here. Psionic Assault offers pretty good single target damage, along with Psionic Shockwave as a solid AOE and Drain Psyche as a huuuuge boost to your survivability. Seriously, that power is dumb. Mix with an APP of your choice (probably Ice because the Dom version is probably the best APP in the whole game) and you're set.

That's about all the prolific meme-y ones I know about from the base ATs. Nobody plays Peacebringers, Warshades have a good triform "MFing Warshade" that you can google. Soldiers have some good build variety, though I think Widows are narrower with their useful powers. I don't know enough about Sentinel to say what's great or not, other than it having the best version of more than a few blast sets by virtue of its (slight) redesigns on them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'll add another:

Kinetics/Sonic Attack Defender. Sonic Attack has a secondary effect that lowers enemy damage resistance, and it stacks with each different attack you use, boosting your whole team's damage by quite a lot. Meanwhile, Kinetics has this fun little power called Fulcrum Shift, which shoots your whole team's damage into the stratosphere. You can imagine how these two sets play well together. Defender beats Corruptor for this because Defenders get the highest debuff numbers on Sonic Attack's -res secondary effect.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Now that the money is just flowing in due to my AE farming, I'm starting to look into what my final build will be like, and what sets to get.

So is there any reason not to aim for the Superior AT IOs straight away? They're way more expensive, but I take it that's ultimately the end goal? Or is converting the Regular AT IOs into Superior cheaper? (I'm not even sure how you do that.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sophism posted:

Now that the money is just flowing in due to my AE farming, I'm starting to look into what my final build will be like, and what sets to get.

So is there any reason not to aim for the Superior AT IOs straight away? They're way more expensive, but I take it that's ultimately the end goal? Or is converting the Regular AT IOs into Superior cheaper? (I'm not even sure how you do that.)

Converting is cheaper. Superior ATOs tend to run about 20m each, while regular ATOs run 10-12m each and the Enhancement Catalysts you need to convert them are like 4m each.

You convert them with Enhancement Catalysts. Once you have enough catalysts to convert a whole set, slot your ATOs, then go into the Enhancement screen and click on the power with the ATOs slotted. Click each enhancement, then "combine" it with an Enhancement Catalyst just like you were combining normal enhancements. You want to do them all in one go because otherwise you'll break your set bonus.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Hakarne posted:

I spent way too much time thinking about this one

Translation if you don't want to read backwards:

You always told your kids not to do it, although you weren't really sure. But you just HAD to know and you finally played that record backwards after you found it in storage. Well I'm here now and you aren't, stupid boomer scum. Ha ha ha ha!

Stairway to Heaven

"Oh here’s to my sweet Satan. The one whose little path would make me sad, whose power is Satan. He will give those with him 666. There was a little tool shed where he made us suffer, sad Satan.” (These are the supposed demonic lyrics if you play Stairway to Heaven backwards).

Demon names will be:

Yzo Enruobso

Seltaeb
Neeuq

Reyals
Selgae
Xyts

I'm debating going all in and only typing backwards in team chat

Edit: Also, I typed the bio up on my phone and it automatically underlined the phrase "tool shed". I clicked on it and it linked me to a gay bar in California. I took it as a sign that the dark lord was blessing my work. Laih Natas!

owns

Ismene
Apr 26, 2012
Pillbug
On Peacebringers, it's absolutely possible to build them into something other than the mediocre 7 of all trades they start out as. Much like warshades, it's possible to camp out at your damage cap and your resist cap with more than a few pbaoe buttons. The fanmade Issue 25 added a knockback to knockdown IO that isn't unique and that honestly fixes the entire archetype and allows you to capitalize on all that aoe. Combine that with the sheer durability that a peacebringer can build into, and anyone can enjoy wading into massive groups and nuking them into oblivion without fear of reprisal.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

halfhazardKnight posted:

Much like warshades, it's possible to camp out at your damage cap

How?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I dropped into a level 46 PI mission team last night (still need to find Siege for Portal Jockey) and man, it's just kind of silly how op you get after you are loaded up with IOs and incarnate powers. I almost feel bad leaving the rest of the group with so little to do when I'm exploding entire spawns by myself as a defender.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Apparently people were saying there was a change to Dwarf Mire that it doesn't last nearly as long as it used to, meaning that end game for Warshades now looks a lot like Peacebringers where you just stay human and don't take the forms at all, which seems really boring to me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Yeah Dwarf Mire only lasts 10 seconds, so if you account for animation times double Mire doesn't even really last long enough to be worth the effort.

It's a shame honestly. Triform Warshade was cool and good.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah Dwarf Mire only lasts 10 seconds, so if you account for animation times double Mire doesn't even really last long enough to be worth the effort.

It's a shame honestly. Triform Warshade was cool and good.

IMHO Warshades are sucktastic most of the time, but get better once you get T4 Clarion, which plugs the biggest hole, that of no mez protection outside lobster form.

Pop Clarion, teleport into a big group, fire Eclipse. 85% resist/all and hefty mez protection for 90 seconds, and both are ready to go again when they expire.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 18, 2019

Ismene
Apr 26, 2012
Pillbug

It's not a permanent state of affairs, but basically you just build for recharge until Inner Light is permanently up. Also, put the Gaussian chance for build up IO in it. Due to how the procs per minute algorithm doesn't count recharge buffs to determine the odds that the proc will fire means that as long as its enhanced recharge is around 60s, the proc will fire every time, aligned roughly with your nuke.

Also as above, t4 clarion has a 120s duration and a fixed 120s cooldown, and Light Form will also recharge before it ends once you have enough recharge for keeping inner light up. Peacebringers are incredibly hardy, especially with their knock off instant regen and dull pain. Their only real issue, aside from having to devote slots to knockback to knockdown, is that they have to take pool provoke to take advantage of that hardiness in teams.

Ismene fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How come sometimes my temp powers, like Sands of Mu, are blanked out in Summer Blockbuster... and sometimes, they are not?