Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Man I'm going for the 'own 1001 provinces' achievement and it's like pulling teeth. Blobbing is so tedious, even as mega Russia with 10 years to go and 90 provinces short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Why isn't Yugoslavia formable? It's not that much later than Italy and Germany.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Nosfereefer posted:

Why isn't Yugoslavia formable? It's not that much later than Italy and Germany.

Probably because it's on the far side of the Great War. It's more of a Victoria nation than a Europa one.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gort posted:

Probably because it's on the far side of the Great War. It's more of a Victoria nation than a Europa one.
Isnt it also an artificial construct made by the winners of the Great War to try to help stabilize the region/fill the vacuum left by the decision (by these winners) to dissolve Austria-Hungary rather than something that was likely to happen naturally like Germany and Italy?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Isnt it also an artificial construct made by the winners of the Great War to try to help stabilize the region/fill the vacuum left by the decision (by these winners) to dissolve Austria-Hungary rather than something that was likely to happen naturally like Germany and Italy?
IIRC, it existed as an aspiration for Balkan nationalists, and Serbia definitely wanted to form it. In fact, the Croatians did too: they just each saw themselves as the rightful "leader" of South Slavs. Serbia happened to be on the winning side, and every one felt Serbia had contributed a good deal and that Italy had been worthless, so they gave Serbia everything it wanted.
That wasn't even the dumbest thing they did in that peace treaty either. Probably not even close.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Germany and Italy didn’t happen naturally, they were both the result of sustained periods of nation-building and military and political protagonism, as well as international consensus. Yugoslavia was no more artificial than these. I think that the biggest difference is that the German and Italian states were relatively extremely effective at quelling cultural and religious differences within their territory — but then, the differences they had to work with were a good bit smaller than those in the Balkans. It was a more fragmented state in a more precarious geopolitical and economic position, thanks to which its fragmentation grew more severe and eventually made its existence impossible.

I think it would be fairly anachronistic in this game though. There were some very vague precursors to Yugoslav nationalism in this time period — see the Illyrian movement — but even that was essentially a Croatian push for greater recognition within the Austro-Hungarian political system, and even that system isn’t in this game’s time frame at all.

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 18, 2019

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I did some cursory reading up on it and the pan-south-slavist Illyrian movement in Croatia starts in the 1830s, so just after the end of the game, even if it was (as previously mentioned) very much a reaction to Austro-Hungarian internal politics. Since German and Italian unification also happened after the end of the game, I think it wouldn't be so bad to have Illyria as an ahistorical formable nation for the Balkans, and Illyria is more period-appropriate name than Yugoslavia. It would be fun to have a formable to work towards in that region, and it's not like the game doesn't have old/ahistorical formables like Ruthenia and Scandinavia in already to represent what-if scenarios. I think in the same way that the Italian flag in EU4 is the earlier flag used by the Napoleonic client state because it's closer to the era of the game, Illyria would probably be a better tag for a unified South Slavic formable rather than Yugoslavia, because it's the older and more period-appropriate strain of the same pan-nationalist idea.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

skasion posted:

Germany and Italy didn’t happen naturally,

How do you define natural vs artificial states? All states are social constructs.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

How do you define natural vs artificial states? All states are social constructs.

That’s my point. There’s no cause to describe Yugoslavia as an “artificial construct” because every state is artificial. The idea that Germany and Italy were more valid or natural in some sense is one I don’t buy.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Oh right my bad for misunderstanding your post

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

When I said "artificial construct" I meant in terms of "doesnt have a shared language" like many modern states do (like Italy and Germany; I know everyone in France speaking French as we know is a pretty recent phenomenon). Italy also has the whole "The Lands south of the Alps" thing going, and Germany has the HRE thing going; a Balkan state where Yugslavia is has neither of those kinds of things going on/history to look back to. I understand the philosophical sense of "All states are artificial constructs" though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 19, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Germany also did the stamping out of regional languages thing — modern standard German wasn’t commonly spoken in most of the future Germany until like, 1800 at earliest. Idk about how it went in Italy but when I went to Venice I couldn’t understand jack poo poo, so I’m pretty sure it’s the same story there.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Is there any online directory for custom-made scenarios / non-worthless CK2 ports to EU4? I'm running a casual sunday game group, but we're all getting kind of bored of the 1444-scenario.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Retarded Goatee posted:

Is there any online directory for custom-made scenarios / non-worthless CK2 ports to EU4? I'm running a casual sunday game group, but we're all getting kind of bored of the 1444-scenario.
Its not a CKII converted save but I just found out about it and think its really awesome if you also dont mind some minor-ish gameplay enhancements: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1466687446
It is a goon-made shattered world mod with a few fixes to common problems with the game (estates coming pre-landed, merc spam, some other minor stuff).

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Holy balls, tried a start as Sweden and it's rougher than I expected.

Most of my provinces are crap, no countries of note wanted to support my independence ('don't have access' somehow being a factor). Managed to slug it out with just teutonics helping me, but it required taking 3 loans, and my economy is already crap.

Well, time to start beating up on Novgorod, right? Oh wait, they remembered to make allies this time around, with Lithuania and Brandenburg.

Time for a restart. Any obvious strat I'm missing?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Develop your copper mine

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Sephyr posted:

Holy balls, tried a start as Sweden and it's rougher than I expected.

Most of my provinces are crap, no countries of note wanted to support my independence ('don't have access' somehow being a factor). Managed to slug it out with just teutonics helping me, but it required taking 3 loans, and my economy is already crap.

Well, time to start beating up on Novgorod, right? Oh wait, they remembered to make allies this time around, with Lithuania and Brandenburg.

Time for a restart. Any obvious strat I'm missing?

You want to take a bunch of the good land from them in the Independence war and come back for them later for more. Once you unite Scandinavia, you should have a lot more power to throw around. To that end, it's pretty helpful if Denmark gets some useful rivals that'll support your independence. I'd also like to note that 3 loans is pretty much nothing, and you should probably keep fighting on until you can grab more from the Danes.

You should also probably leave Novgorod alone, unless you want to slug it out with Muscovy early.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

AnoHito posted:

You want to take a bunch of the good land from them in the Independence war and come back for them later for more. Once you unite Scandinavia, you should have a lot more power to throw around. To that end, it's pretty helpful if Denmark gets some useful rivals that'll support your independence. I'd also like to note that 3 loans is pretty much nothing, and you should probably keep fighting on until you can grab more from the Danes.

You should also probably leave Novgorod alone, unless you want to slug it out with Muscovy early.

Hmm. I have been told I play way too conservatively (having 1 loan usually scares the poo poo out of me).

And I thought taking some Novgorod land would help both make the land path to the Baltics easier for both conquest and management, as well as keeping Muscovy from turning into Russia.

I'll try again and hope for better allies. Hopefully the british and their fleet so I can have a stab at sieging Sjaelland.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sephyr posted:

Hmm. I have been told I play way too conservatively (having 1 loan usually scares the poo poo out of me).

And I thought taking some Novgorod land would help both make the land path to the Baltics easier for both conquest and management, as well as keeping Muscovy from turning into Russia.

I'll try again and hope for better allies. Hopefully the british and their fleet so I can have a stab at sieging Sjaelland.
Never Ally Perfidious Albion.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

skasion posted:

Develop your copper mine

The production bonus in Dalaskogen is only a flat amount added to goods produced, so developing there isn't that much better than anywhere else. It's also in a forest province so you're paying 10 extra mana every time you develop. For each extra development, you only get about 0.9 extra ducats per year, plus a little extra trade income that mostly goes to other nations including Denmark. I'd much rather develop on Stockholm because it's cheaper and in a better location for spreading institutions. Plus you get an event that adds a bunch of development in Stockholm, so developing there early makes those free points more valuable.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yuo should developers Finland and culture shift to Finnish : DDDDD

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'm a lil mad there is no Finnish mission tree granting them their claims from the time of the Finno-Korean Hyperwar

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Has there been any word on when M&T 3.0 will be out?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

skasion posted:

Germany also did the stamping out of regional languages thing — modern standard German wasn’t commonly spoken in most of the future Germany until like, 1800 at earliest. Idk about how it went in Italy but when I went to Venice I couldn’t understand jack poo poo, so I’m pretty sure it’s the same story there.

Less ‘stamping out’ and more ‘put aside to allow for coherent communication with anyone outside our village/county/region”.

Which, by the way, is still true today.

German dialects are a beast of their own and many people still identify proudly with their dialects.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Why is the Hwan empire not a formable?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Woo, Sweden game is finally on. Got Lithuania and england to help me throw off the yoke of Danish oppression, installed a beast of a king (6/4/5, extra legitimacy, reduced AE) with a kickass heir. Snatched Neva and some other tasties, and now most of Livonia, so my economy is getting into gear.

Problem is, Lithuania was then brought into the Commonwealth, and just as I was about to ally the juiced poles Muscovy tore into them and split them up, leaving me with no strong ally in the continent. I allied Bohemia as a stopgap, hoping they can help me eat more baltic real estate while they feed on easy polish land.

Do you get less AE for feeding HRE provinces to a vassal that is also a member of the HRE? Just...asking for a friend.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Groogy posted:

Nah Greater Slovakia is the thing.
Oh you Beautiful Baby Blue Nitra :allears:

Mazovia or bust for that Legendarywealth

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

It's kinda dumb that even though I'm at 400% overextension and my country has dozens of rebel stacks running around, my stability is still at +3 pretty much forever. I guess the only way to get the Revolution "disaster" and get to play a Revolutionary Republic is by tanking stability to make the disaster tick, huh?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
So I am really starting to ‘get’ this game and enjoying it, what with the politics and all. I hate the combat and find dog-piling to be a problem, but it is fun regardless.

I apparently overdeveloped my lands and sacrificed my tech—is there any way to recover from that? I am like 3 techs behind in military compared to everyone, making any action tough.

Also, how do you compare this to CK2? I own that, too but haven’t yet jumped into it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

So I am really starting to ‘get’ this game and enjoying it, what with the politics and all. I hate the combat and find dog-piling to be a problem, but it is fun regardless.

I apparently overdeveloped my lands and sacrificed my tech—is there any way to recover from that? I am like 3 techs behind in military compared to everyone, making any action tough.

Also, how do you compare this to CK2? I own that, too but haven’t yet jumped into it.

You will be able to purchase techs more cheaply the further you are behind. But 3 mil techs back is a HUGE disadvantage if you're fighting anyone of similar size, so get those military points ASAP! Development can be good for a small country to increase income, but it shouldn't be used too heavily for exactly this reason. I prefer to develop only when I have a surplus of monarch points and nothing to spend them on, or to deliberately develop one province a bunch to create an institution in the province. (see https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Institutions#Adopting_institutions)

EU4 and CK2 have a certain alt-history DNA in common. But CK2 is really a drama about characters with an incidental mapgame to mess around with. Most of the stuff that happens, happens through character traits and events. EU4 by comparison is much more of a map painter, with little attention to internal politics.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Why is the Hwan empire not a formable?

it would grant way too many cores to be fair

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

not if you have to conquer most/all of them before forming

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
How would the House of Sinanju fit in to all this?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Development can be good for a small country to increase income, but it shouldn't be used too heavily for exactly this reason. I prefer to develop only when I have a surplus of monarch points and nothing to spend them on, or to deliberately develop one province a bunch to create an institution in the province.

Yeah, see I ended up investing TONS into development and now I have the highest developed lands by a LONG shot. I'm shooting over 40 in all my states and I looked at my neighbors and they barely break 20.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Generally speaking, only develop to dump points when you're about to hit cap, or to seed institutions, or occasionally get an age goal if it will let you trigger a golden age. Some harder starts like Byzantium and OPMs and poo poo you wanna develop early to support a decent army but only if you know what you're doing. Mil tech is super super important to keep up on and you don't really want to lag too much on the others either.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 20, 2019

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

When I said "artificial construct" I meant in terms of "doesnt have a shared language" like many modern states do (like Italy and Germany; I know everyone in France speaking French as we know is a pretty recent phenomenon). Italy also has the whole "The Lands south of the Alps" thing going, and Germany has the HRE thing going; a Balkan state where Yugslavia is has neither of those kinds of things going on/history to look back to. I understand the philosophical sense of "All states are artificial constructs" though.

The linguistic situation is actually exactly the same as in Germany and Italy. Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrin are all mutually intelligible and have been classified as dialects of the same language and as distinct languages, depending on politics, historical context, and individual positions. I think it might actually be less linguistically diverse than Italy or Germany in this regard.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
All I know is that a Badenese German would be pissed to be called a Swabian in this game even though they have their own starting kingdom.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Red Bones posted:

The linguistic situation is actually exactly the same as in Germany and Italy. Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrin are all mutually intelligible and have been classified as dialects of the same language and as distinct languages, depending on politics, historical context, and individual positions. I think it might actually be less linguistically diverse than Italy or Germany in this regard.

I was going to say that tbf Germany or Italy never had significant minorities speaking Albanian, which is absolutely nothing like south Slavic languages, but when I went to look it up I discovered this is actually not true: there’s been a sizable Albanian group living in southern Italy since EU4-times, some of them actually descended from Skanderbeg’s troops.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Red Bones posted:

Interesting. I have learned that I have a lot to learn about this kind of thing! Thank you!

skasion posted:

I was going to say that tbf Germany or Italy never had significant minorities speaking Albanian, which is absolutely nothing like south Slavic languages, but when I went to look it up I discovered this is actually not true: there’s been a sizable Albanian group living in southern Italy since EU4-times, some of them actually descended from Skanderbeg’s troops.
God, history really is stranger than fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Sephyr posted:

Do you get less AE for feeding HRE provinces to a vassal that is also a member of the HRE? Just...asking for a friend.

Dunno about AE but it's a bad idea anyway as they will more likely than not return them when the emperor asks.