Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FunMerrania posted:

How do you take a restpause?

Click on your bed. Annoyingly, you can only restpause once you've talked to everyone, which I guess is supposed to encourage you to look for solutions before you waste game time sleeping, but it creates a conveyance issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Weird, I've talked to everyone multiple times and going to the bed just gives me: (I should really look around for a bit...)

There's the masked "ter-lit" guy, The rebels downstairs, outside with the person you know from somewhere else and Wilmer. Am I missing anyone else?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FunMerrania posted:

Weird, I've talked to everyone multiple times and going to the bed just gives me: (I should really look around for a bit...)

There's the masked "ter-lit" guy, The rebels downstairs, outside with the person you know from somewhere else and Wilmer. Am I missing anyone else?

Shouldn't be, sounds like something got messed up.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Sartana posted:

What are you even babbling about you loving retard

Easy on the slur's pal

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sartana posted:

What are you even babbling about

Gortarius posted:

There's a quest Hundley (and me to a small degree) did where at one point you talk to Babby Hubert who convinces you to take his organs and sell them for money. This is the minigame for it that I made:

https://imgur.com/GubVyUA

(How do I embed videos?)

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
There was/is actually an entire town with public domain characters walking around under the sewers. It's not in the demo though, but even so, while it's trying to emulate B1 sort of absurdism of having "real" people milling about doing things they never would, the tone is once again off. Babby Hubert is actually Baby Huey turned into a grotesque rear end in a top hat who thinks organs are a scam and wants to get rid of his for money. Oliver Twist is the one who wants to get the organs so he can sell them to a scientist (Dr. Benjamin-Hur, who is portrayed more or less like Wesker from Resident Evil) and Hoopz is the middle man in all of this if you agree to go along with it.

Plenty more of characters down there in Ys-Kolob, but they are all more or less miserable. This is what happens when the real writers peace out and then you have a handful of dummies like me trying to make content instead.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I’m still towards the beginning of the game, but I’m digging the writing, graphics and music. I haven’t experienced enough of the combat to judge it, but so far I think I’m enjoying the map design the least. It’s not poorly designed or anything, but there’s just a ton of empty space and places that don’t really offer anything. For every apartment room with a funny NPC in it there’s another with nothing at all. The game really would have benefited from scaling back the freedom, as sacrilegious as that may sound. Looking forward to the rest of the demo though.

Gortarius posted:

There was/is actually an entire town with public domain characters walking around under the sewers. It's not in the demo though, but even so, while it's trying to emulate B1 sort of absurdism of having "real" people milling about doing things they never would, the tone is once again off. Babby Hubert is actually Baby Huey turned into a grotesque rear end in a top hat who thinks organs are a scam and wants to get rid of his for money. Oliver Twist is the one who wants to get the organs so he can sell them to a scientist (Dr. Benjamin-Hur, who is portrayed more or less like Wesker from Resident Evil) and Hoopz is the middle man in all of this if you agree to go along with it.

Plenty more of characters down there in Ys-Kolob, but they are all more or less miserable. This is what happens when the real writers peace out and then you have a handful of dummies like me trying to make content instead.

I dunno, that part sounds pretty great. The minigame you showed was pretty unnecessarily gross and unnerving but that’s part of what made it funny to me. There’s a certain absurdity to it that offsets the grotesqueness but I think that type of humor is a lot less popular these days.

Then again I’ve worked on Mary Kate and Ashley’s Scorched Earth Rescue, The Magic School Bus Surfs the Deep Web, How the Grinch Stole the Japanese High School Culture Festival, and Kingdom Hanks for game jams so I’m a bit biased when it comes to real people/characters doing ridiculous things.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I’m still towards the beginning of the game, but I’m digging the writing, graphics and music. I haven’t experienced enough of the combat to judge it, but so far I think I’m enjoying the map design the least. It’s not poorly designed or anything, but there’s just a ton of empty space and places that don’t really offer anything. For every apartment room with a funny NPC in it there’s another with nothing at all. The game really would have benefited from scaling back the freedom, as sacrilegious as that may sound. Looking forward to the rest of the demo though.

As far as I can tell, every empty apartment actually belongs to an npc and it's where they take refuge during the curfew. Which is of course an insanely unnecessary level of verisimilitude.

Ticked_Off_Josh
Sep 1, 2016
I'm only mad because I didn't get a "FOAM FINGER"
This demo rocks! It's one of the deepest and most enjoyable demos I've ever played but there are some definate issues.

I understand a lot of gun'sbreeding is deliberately opaque but I think the gene's system is far too complicated for anyone to reasonably figure out without a little help, even the lunatics who play Barkley 2. It just feels like a complete crapshoot.
I'd suggest a list of dominances for the gene's you've found or even only the gene's on the current gun you're viewing. With this system you actually have a chance of learning something by paying attention (even if what the gene's do is up to the player to figure out) and can make more informed breeds.
The gun map system was very cool though. It managed to straddle the line between arcane and learnable pretty well.

The combat is a little wonky. I'm not opposed to having to learn it but the absolute worst offenders are the nets the catfish throw, namely that to escape them you have to either waste ammo (A VERY scarce resource) or sit on your rear end and wait for it to go away on it's own which isn't fun. I think the net should immediately disappear when the catfish who threw it dies and maybe also allow you to roll into the pegs.

I agree that the game gets pretty disturbing at points but I actually really enjoyed that aspect. It's rare for a game to properly creep me out these days and you guys nailed it!
I also thought the screamer noise when you pick the "horribly unforgivable answer" to a certain character creation question was intentional. Seeing that and the grave with my name on it freaked me out and I thought the wizard either gassed me or immediately pulled my life support.

Picking your date of birth was janky. I figured out that your mouse didn't have to stay on the wheel but it was still a pixel hunt to get it correct and the starsign I got was incorrect. If either of these last 2 points are just me being a big party pooper who doesn't get the joke I apologise. One last thing is that I wish you could type your name instead of having to click but that's not a big deal.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I dunno, that part sounds pretty great. The minigame you showed was pretty unnecessarily gross and unnerving but that’s part of what made it funny to me. There’s a certain absurdity to it that offsets the grotesqueness but I think that type of humor is a lot less popular these days.

Since none of it is probably going to ever see the light of day I guess I might as well throw the deets out there. This will be a long-winded description of Ys-Kolob as far as I can remember it. I did most of the area, sprites included, by myself with some help here and there with writing and ideas from various people. The concepts/ideas have changed around time and again but they always retained certain elements and haven't strayed too far off from that they were originally.

There's Oliver Twist and Fantomas, the two professional criminals, and they want Hoopz to do their dirty work of harvesting Babby Hubert's organs. You can turn them down which ends the quest right there, accept and move on to find Hubert and then decide if you want to go through with it. Hubert wants to get rid of his organs because he has been reading some weird medical propaganda about how organs aren't actually real or whatever. If you go for it, you have 4 different outcomes from the minigame: don't do anything, cut him but dont take any of the organs, take some organs or take all of the organs. Each organ you get gives you X sum of money from Oliver, and if you take too many Hubert will eventually kick the bucket.

You can take the organs to Oliver for money OR you can take them to a desolate well and throw them down there. If you throw them down teh well and then fess up to Oliver that you have ruined the merch, he and Fantomas beat you up, after which you wake up in some pile of garbage but something is different... Your HUD face is replaced with Fantomas' face and it's implied that you are now playing as Fantomas who has stolen Hoopz identity, but the game never addresses it, besides a potential secret ending or whatever.

There's the seven little dwarfs who are in a cave mining for, uh, I think it was bitcoins or Untamonium or something. I forget. But right from the start you never actually see the seven little dwarfs, rather you see them having been mutated into the Swiss Family Robinsons by a secret plot concocted by Dr. Benjamin-Hur aka Wesker. As time goes on more and more people in Ys-Kolob get a special new drink from the local bar and after some time the person in question has morphed into a Robinson. They all look very much alike and talk only in quotes taken from the book about the Robinson family. The foreman/leader of the seven little dwarfs, The Yellow Kid, has caught wind that something is up and is asking Hoopz to figure it all out. At some point all the seven little dwarfs have disappeared and hoopz must investigate. This thing has changed time and again but the endgame is that you eventually get inside a locked grotto which houses the Throne of Eels, and sitting on it is now the criminal mastermind behind the dwarfs disappearance, Zigomar the Eelskin, of whom there is like one mention in the entirety of the internet. He has taken the Robinson'd dwarfs and made them into his slaves/henchmen and he talks endlessly how the eels will rise up.

You can also buy Yellow Kid a drink to calm his nerves but that will just end up Robinsoning him.

Then there's the mild mannered shopkeeper, Don Diego de la Vega, who is actually Zorro. He is also caught up in all of this, trying to take down Benjamin-Hur, or at least that's what I think it was. Well, anyway, initially there is really nothing to do, he is just a boring shopkeeper but if you talk to Zigomar while he is in the bar, before he reveals himself to be the criminal mastermind, he tells you that there are mysterious Z marks on the walls around Ys-Kolob and that if you find enough of them you will be able to pinpoint the location of a treasure. So then you can as a sort of a minigame find teh Z symbols, which means walking next to one and holding your cursor over the mark for a few seconds to indicate to the game that you have actually found one. Some of them are very hidden so it'll take some effort finding them. All of the symbols also have a number carved next to them. When you collect enough of the numbers you can figure out a code that you can input into a door to open it. Inside you will find Zorro and Nick Carter who freak out that you've found their secret hideout and storm out of there, implying that you have somehow jeopardized their covert ops operation against Benjamin-Hur.

Going back a few steps, during the finding Z's quest, you will be forced to encounter Pocahontas who runs into you and drops a letter before running off screen. You can pick up the letter and see that it's addressed to Donald Quixote. You can take it to him and this will prompt a scene where Donald Quixote thinks it's a love letter from Pocahontas and that she wants them to get back together again. He then goes inside his apartment to read it, and you hear a muffled scream but Hoopz doesn't know what to think of it and just leaves. If you talk to Donald Quixote normally he will just talk about how he used to work in Big Bad Wolf & Benjamin Biotek as a scientist.

Anyway, going back to when you have ruined the covert ops, if you go back to Don Diego de la Vega at this point there will be another of those letter's Pocahontas dropped on his table, and it's been opened up. When you talk to him he begins to sweat profusely and is clearly getting more and more unwell, until a scene plays out that apes the scene in MGS1 where Liquid dies from FoxDie. Except in here it's Don Diego de la Vega realizing with his last breath that Benjamin-Hur has poisoned him with ZorroMuere and dies. Hoopz ends up being covered in blood and has two choices: try to sneak out through the town without anyone noticing you being covered in blood OR escape through a hidden passage Don Diego had in his shop.

The first choice just makes everyone in Ys-Kolob think you are Dracula and they either give you tribute or tell you to go frick yourself. You can do this X number of times and then the blood wears off. If you leave using the secret path however you reach a pool of water which Hoopz thinks is a good way to wash the blood off, but as soon as he utters the word blood, Dracula emerges from the shadow and has a talk with Hoopz about how he isn't really a bad guy and only acts as a villain because that is his role in society. Dracula leaves and that's the end of that.

After this you can find Pocahontas in the local bar, making little sense and talking about how her head hurts so bad and everything is a blur. She later turns into a Robinson and was actually hypnotized by Benjamin-Hur to assassinate Zorro and Quixote.

There's also Geppetto, who dresses like Luigi, and from time to time transforms into his more deranged alter ego, Wappetto, who looks like Wario, but I feel like this post is already criminally too long and potentially completely uninteresting so I'll just end it here for now.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Gortarius posted:

Since none of it is probably going to ever see the light of day I guess I might as well throw the deets out there. This will be a long-winded description of Ys-Kolob as far as I can remember it. I did most of the area, sprites included, by myself with some help here and there with writing and ideas from various people. The concepts/ideas have changed around time and again but they always retained certain elements and haven't strayed too far off from that they were originally.

Wow. How the hell was all of that supposed to shake out in the end, if there even was an endpoint for any of this? Like, can you de-robinson everyone and gun'sbrast Zigomar until he explodes gratuitously? Is there some kind of conflict between him and Benjamin-Hur's evil plots that you poo poo all over/watch fall apart from the sidelines like a dumbass? Or is this some of that routesplit and 'never cut anything' nonsense that requires multiple playthroughs to explore and there isn't actually a single best outcome

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Gulping Again posted:

Wow. How the hell was all of that supposed to shake out in the end, if there even was an endpoint for any of this? Like, can you de-robinson everyone and gun'sbrast Zigomar until he explodes gratuitously? Is there some kind of conflict between him and Benjamin-Hur's evil plots that you poo poo all over/watch fall apart from the sidelines like a dumbass? Or is this some of that routesplit and 'never cut anything' nonsense that requires multiple playthroughs to explore and there isn't actually a single best outcome

Becoming Robinson is permanent. There is no cure...

The endgame was you and a fake Pinocchio (aka Fakecchio) going to Biotek to look for Geppetto who has gone in there to try and find the real Pinocchio (who is implied to have died a long time ago). You eventually find Benjamin's lab in Biotek, AKA the Umbrella labs, and he has Geppetto tied up and at gunpoint, and twirls his mustache, throwing out some truth bombs how it was he who was behind everything all along.

Benjamin needs Pinocchio's DNA in order to cure his colleague, and lover, Phileas Fogg from some unnamed disease. The cure involves injecting Pinocchio DNA into Phileas which then revitalizes him but the many years he has spent in a cryotube has left him deformed and deranged. When they are finally reunited Benjamin-Hur asks Phileas if he still loves him, to which Phileas responds "Yes", but he is actually lying, and since he has Pinocchio DNA now his nose violently grows in size and fatally impales Benjamin-Hur. It's then revealed that Phileas considers Benjamin just a one-night stand and that he could never measure up to Phileas' true love, Passepartout. Phileas then leaves with his dick hanging out and is never seen again.

I forget what the transition is from this scene to the next, but I believe somehow Hoopz gets knocked out and wakes up in Ys-Kolob's respawn point, the Cowardly Lion's den. Cowardly Lion is a drug addict who just smokes weed all day and talks nonsense. You can return to Biotek to find out that Fakecchio has found out that he is just some random orphan kid that Geppetto molded into Pinocchio, and Geppetto is also there with a birthday cake, trying to win Fakecchio back over. But since Geppetto is like a total deranged piece of poo poo it all goes south quick and in a moment of anger he morphs into Wappetto and accidentally kills Fakecchio, which also starts the self-destruct sequence. In a last moment of redemption Geppetto tricks Hoopz into leaving the control room for just long enough for Geppetto to lock himself and Fakecchio inside to somehow make sure that Hoopz makes out OK. I forget if there was some logistics here how that actually makes any sense.

Geppetto has one last speech about how he has lost his son twice now and on both occasions it was his fault and he deserves to perish along with the lab. If you go and check out Benjamin's lab at this point, his corpse is no longer there but there is a trail of blood and bloodied hand prints along the floor that leads to a secret compartment in the wall and there is a broken vial next to it that has a label that just says "G" on it. The pipedream here would have been aping the boss fight with Birkin in RE2 where you are on the lift going down, but that of course didn't happen and I never really went for it because I knew it was completely unrealistic. In the end Biotek blowing up would have taken Ys-Kolob with it, which was my idea of wrapping it up without any loose ends to worry about.

Hoopz is just a total outsider in most of this and has really nothing to contribute, which is a bit strange.

Now all this Ys-Kolob malarkey never truly settled so it's not finished (shocking, I know) but because it was this isolated part of the game that could've been cut at a moment's notice without affecting anything else in the game, and because I had mostly free range to do whatever it was a lot more interesting to me and it did get made really fast because of that. I can look up some pics of the sprites I made for this later.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I need to play more as I really didn't get too far outside the starting area before needing to stop but man... I dunno, I think the game is missing a lot of charm and it's a huge bummer. Nothing has really made me laugh or smirk and as weird as it might sound I think Frankie did too good of a job making the graphics not total poo poo like the first game.

I get it, this was going to be a real rear end game so a LOT of poo poo wouldn't fly that was in the first Borkle, but it seems like the absurdist humor is just kind of nowhere to be seen. Hoopz sprite going from some generic game maker sprite to a total trainwreck to show him dribbling, goofy poo poo where enemies are super poorly edited sprites from other games and garbage rear end portraits abound- it seemed like there were gags a minute.
Seeing the characters react to clownshoes comical things with a deathly serious tone was my favorite thing and right now I'm just wandering this really nice (as in artistic) city where nothing is really grabbing me to continue. Like if this was it's own thing I'm not sure how interested I'd be in giving it more wiggle room.

I know it's stupid to comment on a game when I'm only like, a half hour-45 minutes in but it's just makin me kinda down :sigh:. Hoping that picks up when I have more time to actually get into it though.

That said a general question for the team that posts here, but if you truly think the game is dead and there's literally no way, no miracle of it ever coming back- would it be possible to talk about the plot you guys had planned? We'll never get to see the ending but I'm curious as to what it would of been in another timeline.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I know it's stupid to comment on a game when I'm only like, a half hour-45 minutes in but it's just makin me kinda down :sigh:. Hoping that picks up when I have more time to actually get into it though.

You have to go and find specific events to get some joke's out of it. People seem to enjoy Character Creation, DwarfNET and Booty Bass, so check those out if you haven't, I guess. I don't even know what else to recommend.

The more time that goes by and the more people comment on this just makes me realize just how mediocre of a game this is. A weak emulation of the first one. I'm just repeating myself ad nauseam. I think it's time to move on for good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think the problem is that it's hard not to go into it with Bakely 1 on my mind with everything that entails.
It's kind of hard for me, personally, to not expect insanely stupid things to show up every other screen or have a joke packed into every other line. Talking with this astronaut dude who told me a long story about how his world was destroyed and he's now alone I'm just waiting for the punchline- but it just never came.

It's not that the story told was bad or that there has to be a joke, but this is Barkley 2! There's no way there's not going to be some goofass quip at the end of it! And the few people I talked to in game it just felt like that was repeating.
I wanna get further into it but I just wasn't sure what I was getting into.

This ultimately is a personal thing for me, forum user ThisIsACoolGuy. I appreciate the effort that went into this thing as I can tell there is a lot of it. I'm just not getting what I expected out of a understandably very limited playtime. It's on me entirely.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I like how it took the game being cancelled for us to get a full alpha demo and a ton of updates on development progress and concerns.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think the problem is that it's hard not to go into it with Bakely 1 on my mind with everything that entails.
It's kind of hard for me, personally, to not expect insanely stupid things to show up every other screen or have a joke packed into every other line. Talking with this astronaut dude who told me a long story about how his world was destroyed and he's now alone I'm just waiting for the punchline- but it just never came.

It's not that the story told was bad or that there has to be a joke, but this is Barkley 2! There's no way there's not going to be some goofass quip at the end of it! And the few people I talked to in game it just felt like that was repeating.
I wanna get further into it but I just wasn't sure what I was getting into.

This ultimately is a personal thing for me, forum user ThisIsACoolGuy. I appreciate the effort that went into this thing as I can tell there is a lot of it. I'm just not getting what I expected out of a understandably very limited playtime. It's on me entirely.

It's kind of like... someone who told a lot of jokes and goofs all of a sudden decided that they wanted to be super serious and show off their dramatic talents.

I also got the impression while playing that the jokes were mostly in the form of wasting as much of the player's time as possible..

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah have to say, there are some good comedic moments (I really enjoyed recognizing the song you guys used for gun breeding, and the whole character creation segment just going longer and longer was good) but they definitely don't seem to be the focus in the game proper which is very strange as a sequel to Barkley 1. A lot of NPCs are played straight, or there's a background goof that's kind of paved over, like someone was worried people wouldn't take the setting seriously enough. The pacing being as slow as it is (movement speed is pretty slow and you have a lot of back and forth) doesn't really help either as it just increases the time between jokes so the game seems even more mirthless.

Art is top notch though, and the fully comedic parts that do exist are good. There's potential here, but it'd take tons of content cuts and lots more work so it's sad it'll never be realized.

At the very least though I wouldn't say it's a weak emulation of Barkley 1. It seems to be trying very hard to be something extremely different, I just don't know why.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That said a general question for the team that posts here, but if you truly think the game is dead and there's literally no way, no miracle of it ever coming back- would it be possible to talk about the plot you guys had planned? We'll never get to see the ending but I'm curious as to what it would of been in another timeline.
I am curious how Cuchulainn would be dealt with and if there was a planned B3/4/... also

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I haven’t played the demo yet, are there any dark drakerz in it?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Sartana posted:

I can tell the game is oozing with creativity, but I'm just baffled by something that I see a shitload of amateur game devs do. I don't understand why so many create this incredibly complex and detailed starting city where like every NPC house is completely furnished and where pissing in an alleyway starts 3 elaborate side storylines, and then expect to be able to scale that to an entire world. It's remarkably common for games like this to have one city like that 60% finished, and then a huge world full of bland garbage. It seems like it would become glaringly obvious after working on something like that that the time it would cost to scale it would be exponential and it would be 100 times better just to make that one zone the area of focus for the entire game.

Classic example of a game doing this right would be Planescape: Torment, where Sigil got all the depth and love and the occasional jaunt outside Sigil was shallow, but the game didn't suffer too much from that because none of those jaunts were supposed to set up a whole new base of operations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Thing is, the plot of Barkley 1 is bleak as hell too. Its just that the specifics of how and why take that bleakness and make it hilarious, especially when the characters aren't in on the joke. By upping the production values, taking away a lot of the innately sillier bits, and giving the world's consequences a closer look, you're left realizing just how bleak it all is.

The section just described, for example, feels like half Cesspool X and half Spalding Factory, but without the innate funniness of basketball, 2000s otherkin culture, diabetes, and Hanna-Barbera. It then takes what's left and doubles down on examining just how hosed up a sewer city would be, which while interesting isn't quite a barrel of laughs.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The poster that brought up the astronaut is definitely onto something. The encounter with the astronaut character is goofed up from every angle. He’s a unique character with his own apartment, which invests him with significance in the game world. Whether he starts a quest or not, I don’t know, and in a sense it’s immaterial- there’s so much going on in real time in TNN that it’s difficult to tell what is quest breadcrumbs and what isn’t, or where it connects.

He talks, a lot. Enough that I expected that this was a shaggy dog bit that was building up to a punchline, but then there isn’t one. It’s just this story that’s genuinely sad, about a man being given an incredible chance to save his world and instead ending up in a concentration camp having to watch his world die.

To the best of my knowledge, none of this goes anywhere.

I’m not gonna be prescriptive about what B2 should have been- it’s an unfinished game, and frankly if the devs wanted to go a completely different route from B1 and make a challenging, thoughtful game about rebelling against existential doom to overcome racial enmity and fascist oppression, I’m open to that. Hell, it’d be unexpectedly timely for a game that began work in 2011. I don’t need a sequel to be an echo of what came before. But what we have at present is just incoherent and laborious.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

That being said, thank you to everyone who put in overtime to get the demo out. I’ve gotten some closure, on a ridiculously small, incredibly stupid bit of my life, but that’s a pretty rare thing. It’s interesting to toy with what’s there, and the art and music are absolutely top notch.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I liked the Eric stuff where you are helping him get a job in the pet shop in part because Hoopz seems able to take all this bleak nonsense in stride but then loses all hope in the face of this one dude's horrible personality.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Eric quest is good. The quests where Hoopz acts like an actual naive child aren't too bad, but I didn't completely buy Hoopz acting that way, and I'm not sure why.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ys-kolob sounds more barkley to me.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ys-klobb

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Dabir posted:

The Eric quest is good. The quests where Hoopz acts like an actual naive child aren't too bad, but I didn't completely buy Hoopz acting that way, and I'm not sure why.

Yeah, the character feels weird. I get the decision; the devs wanted a naiive character so that the protagonist is as unfamiliar with the game world as the player is. But Hoopz is more naiive than any real child. That maybe allows for jokes to be setup, but I think the jokes don’t always land properly when they’re created on the premise of a dumb character when the player isn’t as ignorant.

Plus, in character creation I got the lawful evil alignment. Maybe everything in character creation is completely useless and asinine- I don’t know- but I expected my character to be more cynical and savvy, and then I started to wonder if I was expected to steer him to fit the alignment, or if I’d get special dialogue trees, or what. Like a lot of things in B2, I don’t know what is a joke mechanic and what I’m expected to understand and utilize.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Anonymous Robot posted:

Plus, in character creation I got the lawful evil alignment. Maybe everything in character creation is completely useless and asinine- I don’t know- but I expected my character to be more cynical and savvy, and then I started to wonder if I was expected to steer him to fit the alignment, or if I’d get special dialogue trees, or what.

hahah

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Plus, in character creation I got the lawful evil alignment. Maybe everything in character creation is completely useless and asinine- I don’t know- but I expected my character to be more cynical and savvy, and then I started to wonder if I was expected to steer him to fit the alignment, or if I’d get special dialogue trees, or what. Like a lot of things in B2, I don’t know what is a joke mechanic and what I’m expected to understand and utilize.

Lawful Evil? You're supposed to be roleplaying as either Dracula or Popeye. I thought the game was pretty clear about that.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

It is funny that the game moved my alignment all the way from neutral good to lawful evil because I said it wasn’t completely abhorrent to say “meh.”

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
I never quite realized that we were working on the darkly serious Lord of the Rings to Barkley 1's The Hobbit this whole time.
Though its possible that the only area accessible being Tir Na Nog, basically a big jail city, is affecting the perceived tone of the game.
Like, this is the place setting up the duergars as villains and the dwarves as the people to liberate from them.
That said, I cant guarantee that the tone actually gets lighter as it goes on; I have never actually played anything outside Tir Na Nog, since I dont work on quests and TNN was always the more complete section we showed at Pax etc. It may very well be a representative microcosm of what the rest of the game would feel if it was complete.
I mean I know a lot of the stuff that goes on outside of TNN, but its hard to say how it all comes off tone-wise without actually playing it.

FrankieSmileShow fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 18, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ya'll done 'n chronocrossed it

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

FrankieSmileShow posted:

I never quite realized that we were working on the darkly serious Lord of the Rings to Barkley 1's The Hobbit this whole time.
Though its possible that the only area accessible being Tir Na Nog, basically a big jail city, is affecting the perceived tone of the game.
Like, this is the place setting up the duergars as villains and the dwarves as the people to liberate from them.
That said, I cant guarantee that the tone actually gets lighter as it goes on; I have never actually played anything outside Tir Na Nog, since I dont work on quests and TNN was always the more complete section we showed at Pax etc. It may very well be a representative microcosm of what the rest of the game would feel if it was complete.
I mean I know a lot of the stuff that goes on outside of TNN, but its hard to say how it all comes off tone-wise without actually playing it.
Considering how many main devs have not actually played the game I think it's a fair wager that the whole game has this or similar issues. Also, outside TNN the original writers are much less involved, meaning as Gortarius has covered at length that writing is less likely to be good overall.

Feedback so far seems fairly coherent, and given how it's looking it all feels less and less worth putting anything more into this game than some final efforts to make public what is currently there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this isn't just a barkley thing but it is a mistake how kickstarters don't put out regular-ish demos or alpha/beta builds for backers. most smaller teams aren't going to have a lot of people to test a game and you need folks who aren't looking at the game from a half inch away.

it's pretty much collapsed (because i think the programmer just peaced out) but the retro racer drift stage drastically changed how handling worked due to backer response to a demo and if they hadn't put out that demo it's likely when the game (hypothetically) was finished it would've had the weird handling the initial demo did.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

this isn't just a barkley thing but it is a mistake how kickstarters don't put out regular-ish demos or alpha/beta builds for backers. most smaller teams aren't going to have a lot of people to test a game and you need folks who aren't looking at the game from a half inch away.
Yeah, I for one wouldn't have gone for a refund on Home Free if we'd had demo builds to gently caress around with whilst the main programmer on that constantly fiddles about with the drat thing without coming up with any sort of coherent roadmap to release.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

FrankieSmileShow posted:

It's more of the same, honestly. The Social has some chef bits which are good. I like the Crestfallen Gamer but mostly because you really slammed the graphics on him. Trying to think up some funny bits outside TNN makes me realize how barren the game is. It's like playing the Phantom Pain except that the gameplay isn't good and people can't stop talking.

The Mines are mostly functional/complete but they are mired by the combat and it's also a place filled with Duergars and has the same tone issues. I think a lot of the tone issues later on are caused by our saltiness leaking into the game. The more time passed the less people wanted to work on this mess.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I appreciate the demo we got and it's really apparent how much work went into this project, no one could accuse you guys of sitting on your asses for seven years. It's hard not to think of what the dream version of this game could have been, something like Enter the Gungeon with a real story.

Honestly I think this would have been better off as another RPG Maker title to fill in the sections between jokes and story beats, but I admire the ambition behind trying to make this a real game doing something different. If you all had released this demo in 2015 I think people would have been really excited for the final product.

This whole project was worth it to me if only to play the character creator, which got a lot of laughs out of me and surprised me with how many diverse gags made it in there. I do hope we get B-Ball Tactics in some form because that sounds like it has a lot of potential on its own, but if this is the last we see of this project I'll still feel you all fulfilled the promise.

Please don't work on finishing this game for free or promises of future revenue, consider selling sprite packs for all those beautiful assets and gun's, and maybe the soundtrack too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The first game was also gamemaker and not rpgmaker. You can't really do paper Mario combat in rpgmaker.