Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

SynthesisAlpha posted:

It seems like he's got a swirly water shield thing that hurts like hell while you hug him even during his non-invincible phase. Try running a granite flask with the armor boosting mod and molten shell. I get like 1400 absorb with molten shell, but it jumps to 5100 when I pop said granite flask. Link it with increased duration and efficacy so you get 5.5 seconds or so duration.

Just keep your distance and kill minions while molten shell is cooling down. If you've got some cash buy a thief's torment, the 40 life on hit is crazy good for levelling cyclone.

Is the huge deduction in resistances new to this League? I can't get my resistances up :< Maybe there is a pill for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

NuckmasterJ posted:

Is the huge deduction in resistances new to this League? I can't get my resistances up :<

no

it's been -30/-60 since there were cruel and merciless difficulties

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

no

it's been -30/-60 since there were cruel and merciless difficulties

Ok maybe last league I didn't suck as bad as this time around then!

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Between pride, precision, blood and sand, flesh and stone + maim, and dread banner, what do people run with cyclone?

I've been doing pride, b&s, f&s + maim, and dread banner but want to get rid of some accuracy passives on the tree so I started using precision. But now that means it's really difficult to run dread banner without more -mana cost.

Also, is pob overvaluing accuracy or something? Oh well

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

NuckmasterJ posted:

Hey dudes, noob noob here taking another crack at a PoE league. I'm kind of stuck though on a boss and I could use some goon advice with a really easy boss last time, the Brine King. It seems like his fight has changed and now if you touch him you die instantly. As a Melee character (Of course Cyclone/Impale) I'm finding this to be a bit of a challenge. Every now and then he stops and farts out some ice balls then continues to murder me.

Is there some mechanic to this fight that I was just to high to spot last night or is this some sort of hard counter to the cyclone cheese spam right now? <3

When he brings the water in and the ice balls start falling from the sky, you can safely walk through the Brine King's model without taking damage.

It's not a good idea to stand in the middle of the crab because you can't see if one of the balls is going to impact there, but you can walk through him to safety.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

whalestory posted:

Between pride, precision, blood and sand, flesh and stone + maim, and dread banner, what do people run with cyclone?

I've been doing pride, b&s, f&s + maim, and dread banner but want to get rid of some accuracy passives on the tree so I started using precision. But now that means it's really difficult to run dread banner without more -mana cost.

No. Eliminating misses is just that good. Just do precision+blood magic if you want to fit in the full physical lineup without grabbing reservation reductions from the tree.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
Would someone mind breaking down how people get one of these and how difficult/expensive it is?

I'm looking at hoag builds on poe.ninja and these bows seem extremely ubiquitous, so I reckon they can't be THAT hard to make, but I also know gently caress all about crafting. I know that multiple crafts is a pale court recipe, but that's about as far as I got.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I had a thought, and I'm sure someone else has beaten me to this and sorted it out but.

I'm running a cyclone Slayer and managed to get my hands on a Daresso's Amulet that gives me 60% more damage at full life. One of my issues is that with only 40 ES, enemies tend to get stray hits and chew through a bit of my health even with massive leech.

Enter Soul Tether. Would it be worth it to give up my belt slot for Soul Tether? Leeching would then apply to my ES thus possibly keeping me at full health much longer and thus doing the 60% increased damage from my amulet?

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

I can't make up my mind between going chieftain tectonic slam and leaning hard into fire damage, or going juggernaut tectonic slam for more endurance charges and survivability. Has anyone tried either this league or have any pertinent advice?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Polyakov posted:

I can't make up my mind between going chieftain tectonic slam and leaning hard into fire damage, or going juggernaut tectonic slam for more endurance charges and survivability. Has anyone tried either this league or have any pertinent advice?

You will probably want jugg for better endu charge generation.

I haven’t tried the new cheif, this is just from reading posts about it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Saxophone posted:

I had a thought, and I'm sure someone else has beaten me to this and sorted it out but.

I'm running a cyclone Slayer and managed to get my hands on a Daresso's Amulet that gives me 60% more damage at full life. One of my issues is that with only 40 ES, enemies tend to get stray hits and chew through a bit of my health even with massive leech.

Enter Soul Tether. Would it be worth it to give up my belt slot for Soul Tether? Leeching would then apply to my ES thus possibly keeping me at full health much longer and thus doing the 60% increased damage from my amulet?

get more armor

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How much is 60% increased damage for you anyway.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Saxophone posted:

It's 60% INCREASED, not more - so it's like the effect of 3-4 damage passive nodes since increased stack additively with your other damage bonuses, while MORE stacks multiplicatively.

Not worth building around, imo.

But Soul Tether is GREAT for non-slayers because it lets you get "Continue leeching at full life" from Slayer's Brutal Fervour keystone, which is a really great survivability passive.

Unfortunately the sweet Endless Hunger is gated behind Brutal Fervour, so as a slayer you don't get that much benefit.

But if you get the Corrupted Soul passive with one of the unique gems, you can get a bunch of extra ES to combo with that cool Soul Tether ability.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zhulik posted:

Would someone mind breaking down how people get one of these and how difficult/expensive it is?

I'm looking at hoag builds on poe.ninja and these bows seem extremely ubiquitous, so I reckon they can't be THAT hard to make, but I also know gently caress all about crafting. I know that multiple crafts is a pale court recipe, but that's about as far as I got.

I crafted one a couple leagues ago. Off the top of my head, I think the crafting cost is around 8ex, plus the cost of the base. So around 12ex to 15ex. I can give you the exact crafting steps if you want.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Ixjuvin posted:

The upside is it's instant cast, so it's better for characters with low cast speeds. It seems to have a slightly lower range than flame dash though so you can't get over some obstacles like the act 2 broken bridges, which is annoying.

That's what I thought too but Flame Dash is also actually instant now. The 'cast time' on it is the delay if you try to chain cast it. It feels great.

Devor posted:

But Soul Tether is GREAT for non-slayers because it lets you get "Continue leeching at full life" from Slayer's Brutal Fervour keystone, which is a really great survivability passive.

Unfortunately the sweet Endless Hunger is gated behind Brutal Fervour, so as a slayer you don't get that much benefit.

But if you get the Corrupted Soul passive with one of the unique gems, you can get a bunch of extra ES to combo with that cool Soul Tether ability.

Brutal Fervor is behind Endless Hunger for Slayers, actually; you can use Soul Tether to save two Ascendancy points and put them into something else, although it requires giving up the belt slot and losing the reduced damage taken while leeching which is pretty nice.

After rerolling a bunch I'm in maps playing a Trickster Frost Bolt/Ice Nova build with the new Pledge of Hands and it's pretty silly. Because of how Ice Nova interacts with Spell Echo/Greater Spell Echo it actually only takes one cast of Ice Nova to fire eight times, and the final set of two repeats has +150% area and +105% more damage. The one issue the build has is spacing since you need to have a bit of distance between yourself and the mobs, but with Flame Dash and Decoy Totems I've been working around it. Sustain was a problem early as well but I got an inexpensive cold damage leech temple necklace off trade and that fixed that.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Papercut posted:

I crafted one a couple leagues ago. Off the top of my head, I think the crafting cost is around 8ex, plus the cost of the base. So around 12ex to 15ex. I can give you the exact crafting steps if you want.

I would very much appreciate it. I looked up where the recipes come from, but I still don't know what the actual procedure is.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zhulik posted:

I would very much appreciate it. I looked up where the recipes come from, but I still don't know what the actual procedure is.

I actually don't know where that bow got an extra attack speed craft, but when I played HoAg this was the process. You can simulate it on PoeCraft too just to be sure. When I did it, I was able to find a bow that already had the first two steps done, and it was totally worth it because those first two steps suck.

Start with an ilvl 80 white elder bow.
1) Transmute and then alt until I have just vicious projectiles/%phys damage.
2) Augment to add any suffix, regal to add another suffix - if I hit a prefix here I scour and go back to 1.
3) Craft cannot roll attack mods
4) Exalt orb guarantees +1 to socketed gems because suffixes are full and it's the only remaining prefix (Use Leo slam here if you can!)
5) Remove cannot roll attack mods, craft prefixes cannot be changed, then scour to remove the existing suffixes
5) Craft can have multiple crafted modifiers
6) Craft +2 to support gems, attack speed, and minion attack/cast speed

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

whalestory posted:

If you're not in t15 maps then PoB is overvaluing accuracy, since enemies get higher evasion as they get more levels.
You can lower the enemy level in the configuration tab to see your hit chances in lower level content.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Papercut posted:

I actually don't know where that bow got an extra attack speed craft, but when I played HoAg this was the process. You can simulate it on PoeCraft too just to be sure. When I did it, I was able to find a bow that already had the first two steps done, and it was totally worth it because those first two steps suck.

2) Augment to add any suffix, regal to add another suffix - if I hit a prefix here I scour and go back to 1.
4) Exalt orb guarantees +1 to socketed gems because suffixes are full and it's the only remaining prefix (Use Leo slam here if you can!)
5) Remove cannot roll attack mods, craft prefixes cannot be changed, then scour to remove the existing suffixes

Ah, thank you! I'll check it out once I have a bit more currency.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Goreban Dallas 2.0 posted:

I followed ghazzys guide on the forums and just hit maps last night. What’s up good about it? Should I just check Poe ninja for what people are using for links and gear?

The worst offence, Contagion setup, seems to have very recently been rescinded, but you should definitely also check ladder builds to see various other flavours of ED (Bane+Despair for clear; Allelopathy; MoM(+EB); etcetra).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Papercut posted:

I had to learn how to bowcraft myself recently and could of used a post like that before I scoured a 2 mod rare thicket bow with lvl 20 vicious projectiles.

Though question, if you roll vicious projectiles without a suffix do you really need to augment? seems your just adding a 50% failure chance.
Also ilvl82 seems best for the additional arrow potential roll.

I'd also add to first roll your bow with a perfect fossil and then before doing the multi-crafting adding a 18% quality craft to the bow to improve your 6 link odds.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 18, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Key words are "because suffixes are full", I think

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man I just discovered pob.party . Uhh, there goes my work performance lol. POB in your browser, finally! I think this should probably be in the OP.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Papercut posted:

Why is the %phys relevant? Is that good for HOAG for some reason? I'm going to be doing something similar for my caustic arrow dude soon but I just want the +3 gems and vicious projectiles. Bonus mods would be attack speed and area damage / extra arrow.

Askew
Dec 20, 2007
Slightly Off-Balance

Eminai posted:

You don't have anywhere near the passives you need for 3 point jewel nodes to be worth it. Refunding both of those for the entire Disembowling wheel gives you about 160k more dps. Swapping two of the life nodes near marauder start for Juggernaut and the node you need to get to it gives you 20 life and some armour for the low price of two regrets, and you can put two of the life/armor/resist nodes near duelist start in for the melee phys nodes there, trading 30k dps for another 160 life. Other than that your tree looks good.

Your gear looks like you kitted up after killing kitava and never upgraded aside from buying a 6L, though. The easy replacements are swapping your boots for ones without spell dodge but with more life and resists, swapping the jewel near Stamina for a Tempered Flesh, upgrading your belt to a stygian vise with more life and resists so you can add in an abyss jewel with onslaught on kill (since I recommended refunding the points you had leading to the node with your current abyss jewel) and also life. All of those upgrades can be done with the lowest viable gear for under 60c and keep your resists capped and gain you at least 150 life, but spending more will get you better resists/life/base items. Beyond that you start to look at pricey upgrades, the biggest of which will be rerolling your chest with Serrated + Pristine Fossils for socketed gems are supported by level one maim, and some decent life (Bronn's Lithe is a compelling alternative with more dps and movement speed, but no life or resists and at a considerably higher cost). Next will be getting good swords, which, for decent midrange foils, will probably run you 4-6 ex each whether you self craft or buy.

Well I thought I was doing decently, and then I followed your advice and holy poo poo I do a lot more damage while being tankier than before. Thanks a ton for your help. I really appreciate the advice, and I'd say it's helped me understand the game a bit better. I think this'll be the league I finally kill Shaper (and Uber Elder, but I don't need to be too ambitious).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shaper is fun and a decent challenge

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

euphronius posted:

Shaper is fun and a decent challenge

Yeah, even though I've been killing him for a while now, it's still a nice adrenaline burst the first time you beat him in a new league. Still haven't been brave enough to try Uber Elder though.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you're not in t15 maps then PoB is overvaluing accuracy, since enemies get higher evasion as they get more levels.
You can lower the enemy level in the configuration tab to see your hit chances in lower level content.

Well I AM doing t15s actually... And have my thingies set to calculate shaper/guardian damage. I guess I'll tweak it when I get home to see how worth it it all is....thanks!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I had to learn how to bowcraft myself recently and could of used a post like that before I scoured a 2 mod rare thicket bow with lvl 20 vicious projectiles.

Though question, if you roll vicious projectiles without a suffix do you really need to augment? seems your just adding a 50% failure chance.
Also ilvl82 seems best for the additional arrow potential roll.

I'd also add to first roll your bow with a perfect fossil and then before doing the multi-crafting adding a 18% quality craft to the bow to improve your 6 link odds.

This was by far the biggest ticket item I'd ever crafted, so I wanted to be very sure I understood each step, which is why I wrote all that out and saved it to the PoB. :)

Yeah for this bow you're trying to fill the suffixes so that you get a guaranteed result in Step 4. You don't want the additional arrow affix for HoAg.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Why is the %phys relevant? Is that good for HOAG for some reason? I'm going to be doing something similar for my caustic arrow dude soon but I just want the +3 gems and vicious projectiles. Bonus mods would be attack speed and area damage / extra arrow.

The %phys is part of the vicious projectiles affix, it's one of those dual affixes. Although it is still good for HoAg since that deals phys damage.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Oh man I just discovered pob.party . Uhh, there goes my work performance lol. POB in your browser, finally! I think this should probably be in the OP.

Care to elaborate?

Edit: nevermind, was looking for poe.party

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

so let's say you have a steel ring with only warlords mark on it, currently magic, and you have an imprint beast

What would you multimod onto it to maximize value? Leave a prefix open for an aspect if the buyer wants it maybe?

I guess the question is what does a cyclone user want on their ring?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Life, res, -mana cost, flat phys, ummm % global phys? Do people still want warlord rings bad enough that they are gonna pay multimod prices though?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tonight will be the night an exalt drops me I know it

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So with the wand fortify shield charge fix dropping tomorrow I think I'm officially out of skill slots:

Move, Shield Charge, Flame Dash, ED, Contagion, Blight, Vaal Blight, Curse, Vaal RF.

Eventually would be nice to squeeze a focus ability in there too. Can I get by with not having move on left click? I kinda don't want to give up a flask suffix for a witchfire. How do y'all deal with this?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So with the wand fortify shield charge fix dropping tomorrow I think I'm officially out of skill slots:

Move, Shield Charge, Flame Dash, ED, Contagion, Blight, Vaal Blight, Curse, Vaal RF.

Eventually would be nice to squeeze a focus ability in there too. Can I get by with not having move on left click? I kinda don't want to give up a flask suffix for a witchfire. How do y'all deal with this?

You can put a skill on left click and still move, it'll only trigger if you hold the stand in place button and click, shift by default

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Are you manually casting your curse?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

NuckmasterJ posted:

Is the huge deduction in resistances new to this League? I can't get my resistances up :< Maybe there is a pill for that.

Get purity of elements to shore up your resists if you need it during the story.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Life, res, -mana cost, flat phys, ummm % global phys? Do people still want warlord rings bad enough that they are gonna pay multimod prices though?

warlords is still really nice for the mana leech and endurance charges, and it's a steel ring base in a melee meta

I think you can sell the base alone for a few exalts

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Had Inspired Learning drop for my (SSF) Cyclone Berserker and hell if I don't want to slot it immediately, it was just that much fun when I had it in Delve league. Bending the build for it though... doable, but need to take a couple of questionables I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

AggressivelyStupid posted:

so let's say you have a steel ring with only warlords mark on it, currently magic, and you have an imprint beast

What would you multimod onto it to maximize value? Leave a prefix open for an aspect if the buyer wants it maybe?

I guess the question is what does a cyclone user want on their ring?

Just bought a ring for an exalt today life, -6 Mana costs, and enough resists to replace a rare with a unique. Warlords synergizes well with -mana cost specifically for the cyclone builds.