Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Best thing about being a Roe is making everyone in cutscenes look up at you all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

that one lady in the ivalice raid quests says she thought you'd be taller even as a hulking roe and this is how koji betrayed me

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Looks like Amazon changed the terms of the Black Chocobo. Now it's for purchase price, instead of list price.

e: oh, it got mentioned

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

that one lady in the ivalice raid quests says she thought you'd be taller even as a hulking roe and this is how koji betrayed me

I think that line gets repeated a few times. Fran also says it.

As a lalafell it was more like "and what were you expecting"?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's a Snake Pliskin joke, Koji loves his references

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
Lalafell are terrible little gremlins.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Spuzzz posted:

Looks like WoW 8.2 comes out on the 25th. What a coincidence.

Good, hopefully all the wowfugees will go back and stop crapping up PF demanding free mogstation items.

Just because you frauds wanna hop on in like you've always wanted to play after your game got poo poo isn't an excuse for missing seasonal items.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Leal posted:

Good, hopefully all the wowfugees will go back and stop crapping up PF demanding free mogstation items.

Just because you frauds wanna hop on in like you've always wanted to play after your game got poo poo isn't an excuse for missing seasonal items.

This but at people who are only going to play MCH after they rework it into a job that anybody could play while half asleep

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Blizzard does this on the reg; there's always some major update right when a FFXIV expansion drops and it's clearly never mattered before and certainly won't now

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Leal posted:

What? How does that work? Like a protest, or begging?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
They always release a patch or a new game every time someone else does the same. This is not new behaviour for them. They knew what they were worth, and that they were the only game in town.

That said, unfortunately for Blizzard, they are not the end-all be-all of games anymore, and this probably hurts them more than it has helped them in the past.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They always release a patch or a new game every time someone else does the same. This is not new behaviour for them. They knew what they were worth, and that they were the only game in town.

That said, unfortunately for Blizzard, they are not the end-all be-all of games anymore, and this probably hurts them more than it has helped them in the past.

This. Blizzard's still acting like they have in the past, but they're in the middle of a massively unpopular expansion that may - if you trust the unofficial sources - have lost half the game's population from launch and will be competing against WoW's biggest rival releasing an expansion that seems very hotly anticipated.

I basically like both games (and TOR), but to be honest if this manages to humble Blizzard's leadership and get them back on a better track, I'm all for rooting for FF14. Not that I think that's likely.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Krabboss posted:

This but at people who are only going to play MCH after they rework it into a job that anybody could play while half asleep

lmao gently caress off with your gatekeeping bullshit.

waaa the class is fun now and people started using it

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bobfly posted:

What? How does that work? Like a protest, or begging?

When they all started rushing over PF would have a smattering of entries that were just "buy me this 25 dollar mount". There was the usual ERP offers as well (iirc someone wanted a jump potion, both carbie mounts and the maid outfit. Nearly 100 bucks for some text loving!), I recall one person referencing harry potter with a description of "master can set dobbie free with a /beatbox emote". But a lot of it was just "buy me thing".

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah, WoW isn't in a good place right now and that's from someone who enjoys it and still plays it. Of course the people who are still playing don't miss a chance to say how lovely FF14 is because it's too slow, too asian, too boring, etc. but a loooot of players have jumped ship after BFA. There's a lot of diehard fans that think Classic will herald in the rebirth of the game but I think they're vastly overestimating how many people will play Classic for more than a curious evening or two.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leal posted:

When they all started rushing over PF would have a smattering of entries that were just "buy me this 25 dollar mount". There was the usual ERP offers as well (iirc someone wanted a jump potion, both carbie mounts and the maid outfit. Nearly 100 bucks for some text loving!), I recall one person referencing harry potter with a description of "master can set dobbie free with a /beatbox emote". But a lot of it was just "buy me thing".

poo poo for 100 bucks you could get the Eccentrica Gallumbits of text loving.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

poo poo for 100 bucks you could get the Eccentrica Gallumbits of text loving.

I can get rear end on the corner for 15 :biglips:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I did like WoW, and that horse has been rode into town and beaten beyond recognition but it's not wrong when people say current game is just not fun. But some people can't leave abusive spouses and will go back on any promise of change.

Helps that 8.2 is going to be bad by all accounts, with the promise of popular systems being put back in but in half-rear end partial measures and a gear grind that makes even the worst parts of 2.0 relics seem tame. The fair weather flakes will go back and those that are enjoying themselves will stay. And the hype behind Shadowbringers is pretty massive in comparison. It feels good to look forward to a video game and not feel an overall sense of "how they gonna gently caress this up." I don't feel 8.2 is going to snag back as big a chunk of players as they think it will. Not just stealing them back from FFXIV, but overall people who broke free and quit.

Here is to hoping that this is a big rear end wake up call to Blizzard to get their poo poo in gear and plug the holes so those who do love that game can enjoy it again. I still have friends who log into that poo poo, go through the motions and just log out because it's still by all accounts in such sorry shape.

Oh and release Warcraft III Remastered already for fucks sake.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
There are rumors that WoW is gonna start doing a "level squish" to try and curb all the poking fun of players being such high level, as in they'll crunch everyone back to 60 but keep the stats and make levels more meaningful. It could work.. if anyone but Blizzard was doing it. I'm almost certain it'll damage the part of the community that likes running old content somehow, any time they mess with stats it happens, and they don't seem to care because WoW's devs seem determined to keep the "the game REALLY starts at level cap" thing going forever.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The idea of a level squish is okay on paper, but I'm just imagining them messing up the stats so that high level content becomes impossible.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kwyndig posted:

The idea of a level squish is okay on paper, but I'm just imagining them messing up the stats so that high level content becomes impossible.

The problem isn't high level content, it's the stuff before that.

The first time WoW did a stat squish they introduced this vague mechanic that scaled your damage up the further "ahead" of old content you were, but also didn't really bother to go back and balance some of the old content against players of that level. So if you did want to do an old school raid legit you were probably hosed.

Then they did another one before BfA and arbitrarily decided that stuff past a certain point didn't scale anymore? So people who used to be able to farm the Mists raids no problem were suddenly getting bodied by the first boss. And levelling content took an eternity to kill because that was how things were "supposed" to be.

Then they removed the fast travel portal hubs from old content because it was making it too easy for people to farm old raids and it meant people weren't just standing around the current content hub cities making their game seem more populated than it was.

They seem almost laser focused on making anyone who doesn't want to raid/M+ stop playing.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 18, 2019

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

They already did a big stat squash in BfA and ended up screwing up a lot of the lower level zones and dungeons because they messed up a lot of the states.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Just... halve everything? So a level 50 encounter becomes a 25?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rhonne posted:

They already did a big stat squash in BfA and ended up screwing up a lot of the lower level zones and dungeons because they messed up a lot of the states.

And even now, any quest that relies on a friendly NPC is still completely hosed.

WoW is not in a good way and their latest interview about class design gives me the impression no one in a position of responsibility has a clue what the hell the game should look like or where class design is going in the future.

Shadowbringers' class revisions are controversial, but at least I'm satisfied that SE knows what they want to have happen.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

KoB posted:

"It's good when all classes play the same way."

MCH was a badly designed this expansion because they were awkard to play before level 70, basically. They were already very fun to play at 70, though.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
The leveling "revamp" was just so painful I felt sorry for anybody who didn't already finish leveling.

And then on the high end scale, level 110s were destroying 120s because of access to better scaling and lingering Artifact abilities. Even getting more powerful at 120 caused your gameplay sessions to be longer because there was zero power increases on your part, while NPCs gained exponentially with damage going out and total HP. Their reasoning is they didn't want geared player characters to be able to go into an area and round it all up and consume it like a plague of locusts.

You know, the whole point of getting better gear with better stats.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

hobbesmaster posted:

It's a simple concept, but the reality is either quite time-consuming (manually editing values + extensive QA) or potentially bug-inducing (mass scripts where certain specs/abilities/encounters are hosed)

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

In a sense it's a good idea because each level feels good because you're getting new skills or a talent point or some poo poo. Right now there are giant stretches of leveling in WoW where you get gently caress all.

I do not envy the dev team that has to figure this poo poo out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

isk posted:

(mass scripts where certain specs/abilities/encounters are hosed)

I mean are they going to make things worse?

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
One itch that FFXIV can’t scratch for me is the ability to make your character feel like your own, beyond cosmetics. There’s basically no customization that impacts gameplay, no choice you make as a player that makes your monk any different from any other monk.

This is by design of course and makes it easy for them to balance their game and cater to people less familiar with MMOs, but that has always been the most core part of MMOs I’ve enjoyed before. Wonder if they’ll ever introduce anything like that.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ort posted:

One itch that FFXIV can’t scratch for me is the ability to make your character feel like your own, beyond cosmetics. There’s basically no customization that impacts gameplay, no choice you make as a player that makes your monk any different from any other monk.

This is by design of course and makes it easy for them to balance their game and cater to people less familiar with MMOs, but that has always been the most core part of MMOs I’ve enjoyed before. Wonder if they’ll ever introduce anything like that.

I don't really see much benefit to this in a game where you can change classes with the press of a button. There's only so much mechanical variety to be had and in XIV it's all in your choice of job, which seems as good a place to have it as any.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

hobbesmaster posted:

At least indirectly, yes, since at that point they've spent time & resources for a bad result when they could've spent that time on something with a better chance of success. It'd be a bandaid fix instead of a systemic one. Too many of the former will incur tech debt that either needs to be repaid later or keeps a game spiraling downward. It also pisses off the designers and programmers.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Here is a visual for that google doc a page or so ago. Stolen from reddit of course.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Ort posted:

There will always be a "best" load out for any given class in any game that provides the option to select skills, abilities or stats. Providing players with the option to be worse outside of their own competency is not a good thing.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The logos actions in pyros, hydatos, and especially in BA feel like a successful exploration of customization and I wouldn’t be surprised if they continued to allow customization in sandboxed areas in the future.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

most certainly, likely no matter what method they try

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

KoB posted:

I'm super happy for 5.0 MCH and all the renewed interest in the job... but it's not gonna stop me from being at least a little smug about maining old MCH before it was cool. :smug:

Givin posted:

Here is a visual for that google doc a page or so ago. Stolen from reddit of course.

I'm not going to bother doing this, but it's nice for anyone that wants a nice jump off the starting blocks.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Contrary to a different MMO with player retention problems, FFXIV has no reason to continually pump out expansion after expansion without ever coming to an end.

Combined with murmurs about FFXVI, I fully expect the MMO to finish the story that it has wanted to tell us, and end/move into maintenance mode before the issue of doing stat squishes becomes a necessity.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 18, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

hobbesmaster posted:

There's a classification of Gear in WoW call Heirloom gear, that gives you bonus XP when worn and scales with your level Ala the Aetheryte Earring. Prior to the BfA stat squish this gear gave you stats as if it were a Rare(AKA. HQ) item of it's level. After the stat squish it now scales to the same level as a normal quality item. To the point that you can actually find gear that has higher stats as you're questing and have to actively gimp yourself in order to keep the faster levelling speed. This is intended by the developers as an "Interesting tradeoff".

So yes not only will they make things worse, they will do this intentionally given the opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Contrary to a different MMO with player retention problems, FFXIV has no reason to continually pump out expansion after expansion without ever coming to an end.

Combined with murmurs about FFXVI, I fully expect the MMO to finish the story that it has wanted to tell us, and end/move into maintenance mode before the issue of doing stat squishes becomes a necessity.

XI got updates up until 2015 and they would probably still be expanding it if that style of MMO wasn't horribly outdated. Realistically XIV is only 7 years old, feels like a modern MMO, and as long as people are subscribing they'll keep adding content.