Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

WTF is this, it's so insanely narrow and punishing, are they reprinting Bloodghast? The fact that you are just going to get accidental 2 for 1's with this is so weird to me.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Well its downsides can be nearly non-existent in a number of limited environments

This isn't a complaint; I love picking Pacifism early

Also protection is a boss mechanic and should never be retired

I mean it would have obviously been too good in WAR due to both gods and armies, but it's been a long time since I've seen a format where it didn't have multiple relevant downsides that made it good and efficient but fragile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Tainen posted:

Lol at Legion’s End taking out the Adanto crew

Ah, an answer to that oppressive new Ajani + 4 maindeck Pridemates

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Entropic posted:

When are they gonna keyword "can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less" already?

Sad that Intimidate got used up for a Fear replacement for all of 3 or 4 blocks before being retired. I can't think of a better name that would match the flavor of this ability.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

cheetah7071 posted:

protection is either blank text or completely impossible to interact with with very little in between. Neither is a good design

I think shroud is ultimately where it should be stayed but I think protection is better than hexproof design wise. I think creatures evading targeted removal is fine from time to time and keep magic interesting.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

"Protection isn't an absolute travesty of game design" - people who have never played legacy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

suicidesteve posted:

"Protection isn't an absolute travesty of game design" - people who have never played legacy.

"Protection from a player" is an unholy mutation of actual protection.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
"Protection from neckbeards" should be mandatory in all sets.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

suicidesteve posted:

hey, I play legacy

I just prefer decks that literally don't care what the other player is doing beyond "do they have a counterspell package?"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

I think shroud is ultimately where it should be stayed but I think protection is better than hexproof design wise. I think creatures evading targeted removal is fine from time to time and keep magic interesting.

Hexproof from x does that perfectly fine tho, and doesn't make the combat step worse to boot

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

whydirt posted:

My guess for the uncommon protection cycle is that it’s seeding a safety valve against future devotion decks in Return to Theros next year.

Doesn't necessarily need to be futureproofing. Dominaria came out over a year ago. It cemented mono-red and mono-white, and mono-blue started to show up last Fall, even before Pterry took it to the stars.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Marketing New Brain posted:

WTF is this, it's so insanely narrow and punishing, are they reprinting Bloodghast? The fact that you are just going to get accidental 2 for 1's with this is so weird to me.

Could be we're due for more creature tokens in a future set

It's not a particularly offensive card as-is

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 18, 2019

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
At worst it exiles a creature with cmc 2 or less, so it's like, Smother but worse but it hits graveyard recursion, with an upside it gets a gang of Adanto Vanguards or a bunch of tokens.

Say bye gutterbones.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Expect to see more “protection from”...

quote:

Your article on Core 2020 specifies that there are no non-evergreen keywords.Blightbeetle has Protection from green. Did R&D change their mind on protection being removed from evergreen? Or am I misremembering and you were just using it way less?

MaRo
Protection is back to evergreen on a probationary status.

quote:

malfegor-bv asked:
protection is back? i mean, i love that, but how come?

MaRo
1) It didn’t technically go away. It got moved from evergreen to deciduous, so it just showed up less.
2) The reason it’s flirting with returning to evergreen is the needs of play design. I’ll talk about it a bit in next week’s article.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 18, 2019

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Non blurry Pacifism

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
If you've drafted Modern Horizons and run into a certain green mythic you know exactly how fun protection can be

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

Could be we're due for more creature tokens in a future set

It's not a particularly offensive card as-is

They could have just given it the Bile Blight clause which takes care of 100 percent of token issues, but instead they tacked on hand and graveyard, which makes me think it's recursive creatures.

It's way too early to say it is offensive yet, but I don't know how happy I am about a card you can't really play around. You can't just hold a Paradise Druid, Hero of Precinct One or Steam Kin in hand to play around this, it kind of always gets you. Pretty good against Growth Chamber Guardian as well.

Tainen posted:

Non blurry Pacifism

This dude looks like a giant straight out of Lorwyn, right?

Tainen posted:

As I suspected earlier, I think it's hard to make effective safety valves, especially against certain colors, without protection. Mono U, WW and Mono Red have won a lot of pro tours lately, and while it's never been as oppressive as when Hazoret was around I think it's good to have targeted cards to fight these strategies.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 18, 2019

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Cards with protection aren't hate cards for stuff like the various mono colored aggressive decks lmao protection is much better at dealing with planeswalkers and the like.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I find the 1W guy riffing on Stoneforge immeasurably upsetting

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

How is that card riffing on Stoneforge Mystic? They don't seem at all alike.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

They're both SFM.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Similar names, mana costs, subject framing and the crossed legs are even in the same spot on the card.

It deals with enchantments instead of equipment and has an extra point of power but I think the similarities are there.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

They're similar enough in art, mana cost, and name that I bet anything Starfield Mystic was developed as Stoneforge Mystic but for Auras before it was found too risky late in development and changed into a safe Enchantress variant.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
literally the text of stoneforge mystic but with equipment replaced by aura is the kind of thing that's safe 90% of the time and breaks standard the other 10%

e: when it's good it's probably better than stoneforge because the aura would go straight onto a creature without needing to pay the equip cost

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

cheetah7071 posted:

literally the text of stoneforge mystic but with equipment replaced by aura is the kind of thing that's safe 90% of the time and breaks standard the other 10%

e: when it's good it's probably better than stoneforge because the aura would go straight onto a creature without needing to pay the equip cost

the only aura anyone would ever fetch is eldrazi conscription, though that might be enough. it is absolutely not better than stoneforge though

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

As I suspected earlier, I think it's hard to make effective safety valves, especially against certain colors, without protection. Mono U, WW and Mono Red have won a lot of pro tours lately, and while it's never been as oppressive as when Hazoret was around I think it's good to have targeted cards to fight these strategies.

I don't get why they need the "all-in-one bundle".

Hexproof from (color)
Can't be blocked by (color) creatures
Takes no damage from (color) spells and permanents

Those three things covers 99% of what protection typically does, and putting one or two out of those three makes for more interesting gameplay.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 18, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tainen posted:

play design was a mistake

Riversideblues
Jul 23, 2007

Dicks McGillicuddy

Crackbone posted:

Hexproof from (color)

Those three things covers 99% of what protection typically does, and putting one or two out of those three makes for more interesting gameplay.

Based on the amount of non-symmetrical status effects we keep getting, interesting gameplay is not on the menu.

Riversideblues fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 18, 2019

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

play design was a mistake

Before them was BFZ, SOI, and KLD blocks.

Sometimes we need collateral damage.

Sampatrick posted:

Cards with protection aren't hate cards for stuff like the various mono colored aggressive decks lmao protection is much better at dealing with planeswalkers and the like.

The two are the same after WAR. :v:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Protection is cool an y'all are just haters

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

You, dumb: "Protection is Good, Actualy"

Me, smart: *losing to a deck that has 2 Mirran Crusaders with my black green deck MM2 draft deck* "this is good, actualy"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Protection is healthy for constructed

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Continuing to lol that the concept of enemy and ally colors shows up in core sets and nowhere else.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Handles Growth Chamber Guardians, kills Wildgrowth Walkers in a Bolas Citadel/Dreadhorde deck and I guess there are edge cases like Steam-kins and Adanto Vanguards that have been pumped out of Carnarium range.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TheKingofSprings posted:

lmao imagine being this broke brained

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Tainen posted:

I'm sure there have been worse examples of Maro-speak than "we didn't bring it back, we moved it from deciduous to probationary evergreen," but not many.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Knight of Grace and Knight of Malice with Protection from X didn't exactly break things and I suspect the bug is gonna be just fine to play against. At the very worst you have to Shock or hit it with a Cast Down to have any effect.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Eej posted:

Handles Growth Chamber Guardians, kills Wildgrowth Walkers in a Bolas Citadel/Dreadhorde deck and I guess there are edge cases like Steam-kins and Adanto Vanguards that have been pumped out of Carnarium range.

Sorry maybe it was unclear with the "narrow" referring to aggressive decks that will have a lot of targets, but I think this has some extra clauses thrown in that make it extremely powerful and impossible to play around and I have no idea why.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Knight of Grace and Knight of Malice with Protection from X didn't exactly break things and I suspect the bug is gonna be just fine to play against. At the very worst you have to Shock or hit it with a Cast Down to have any effect.

They had hexproof from X and could be beaten in combat by having a 2/4 creature or better.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

lmao imagine being this broke brained

I find this Lone Goat post immeasurably upsetting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

alternatively, Knight of Infamy and Knight of Glory were 100% fine and they had exalted on top of protection (iirc)

Crackbone posted:

Hexproof from (color)

while you're right, this is insanely wordy and is so close to protection that you might as well just use protection.

seriously we would need oracle animate dead text size to fit it.