Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

I just got a ton of frozen berries from a friend who's moving and cleared out her freezer. I love making berry pie, but it's too hot to turn on the awful old oven. What sweet deserts can I make with frozen berries and an instant pot or stovetop?

This oven is the worst. It's a gas oven from the 1960s, it has no igniter so you have to light it with a long lighter, and it's scary as hell. It also makes the whole apartment hot, which is nice in winter, but hell in summer, especially since we're trying not to turn on the AC.

You should do a stovetop or crockpot dumpling-top cobbler. You could use an instant pot, but I have a hunch that you'd get a soggy mess for the biscuit top.

Here's how I'd do it on the stovetop, but it's easy enough to do most of this in a crockpot too.

2 cups AP flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2/3 cup butter, well chilled and cut into 1 tsp pats
1 cup cold buttermilk
a pinch of salt
*optional* A couple of teaspoons of sugar and a 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract - I think this will be sweet enough as it is, but if you want it more "cake like" then go for it.

2 lbs Fruit
1/2 cup Sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
Spices

Whipped Cream

I'd start by getting a dutch oven (preferably enameled) going on the stove with the fruit, lemon juice, and sugar, keeping it stirred so the sugar dissolves well into it. Then flip it down to a low simmer to let the pectin action start up.

While that's simmering, I'd get a big mixing bowl and whisk the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt together. Then dump the cut butter into it, and start working it with your hands until it's a little mealy in texture. Don't overwork it, you want it to be nice and flaky, resist the temptation to make it uniform. Then stir in the buttermilk.

Use an ice scream scoop to make dumplings and plop them down in the dutch oven, atop the fruit. Then put the cover on the dutch oven, and flip the heat to medium low. Let it go for about 15 minutes, then peak at it every 5 minutes or so. When the biscuit dumplings have browned on the top and start looking a little dried and flaky, then it's done.

Scoop a dumpling and fruit into a bowl, top with some whipped cream.

EDIT: If you're doing this in a crock pot, just stir the fruit, sugar, and lemon juice together, and put in the pot on low. Then make the dumplings and scoop them in as above. Set it to low, and leave it running for ~6 hours or so. The dumplings will spread more, forming a more uniform crust and they won't be as flaky, but it'll still be good and your house will smell great when you get home from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Suspect Bucket posted:

One cool thing my dad installed was a special super-hot water tap in the kitchen that made on demand hot water for coffee and tea. I miss that thing, it was super convenient.

As a British Australian :stonklol:

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
For some reason, someone where I work decided it'd be a brilliant idea to schedule a mostly-potluck event:
A) After normal end-of-day
B) After the first of two days of 8-hour long mandatory training sessions.

The organization is bringing BBQ but everything else is potluck. Any suggestions for what to make? I will have a brief period before training starts where I can set up a crock pot or sous vide gear in my office and I have access to a refrigerator, but after that I'm basically not getting out of training unless the building is on fire.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

poeticoddity posted:

For some reason, someone where I work decided it'd be a brilliant idea to schedule a mostly-potluck event:

The organization is bringing BBQ but everything else is potluck. Any suggestions for what to make? I will have a brief period before training starts where I can set up a crock pot or sous vide gear in my office and I have access to a refrigerator, but after that I'm basically not getting out of training unless the building is on fire.

Sounds like you should just go to a grocery and get a box of cupcakes or something.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

poeticoddity posted:

Do you have a fridge? Make a bigass bowl of slaw and keep it refrigerated then just stir when it's time for the potluck. BBQ needs slaw.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Slaw, tater salad, homemade pickles?, buying chips and making guac, ice cream. For these type of events I'm usually making something as best as I can and putting it in the fridge.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Helith posted:

As a British Australian :stonklol:

I have the same thing but instead of a tap it's a 4 litre device that sits on my counter. 3 different temperature settings, no need to boil the kettle, it's perfect. Really a life upgrade.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have the same thing but instead of a tap it's a 4 litre device that sits on my counter. 3 different temperature settings, no need to boil the kettle, it's perfect. Really a life upgrade.

I would sacrifice several other people's firstborn for enough counterspace for one or these. Unless I convinced my spouse it'd be acceptable to put on the nightstand next to the toaster.

Seriously, toaster + bread box reachable from bed is a huge morning upgrade.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Sextro posted:

I would sacrifice several other people's firstborn for enough counterspace for one or these. Unless I convinced my spouse it'd be acceptable to put on the nightstand next to the toaster.

Seriously, toaster + bread box reachable from bed is a huge morning upgrade.

you need a wake 'n bacon

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Aw, turns out it isn't actually available? I don't use alarms, but that thing is cute.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fart store posted:

you need a wake 'n bacon

Is that better than a George Foreman grill that I sit in the floor and plug in when I first wake up?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

sterster posted:

Slaw, tater salad, homemade pickles?, buying chips and making guac, ice cream. For these type of events I'm usually making something as best as I can and putting it in the fridge.

I think I'll give potato salad a go. I've never actually made it before, but it'll keep well in my fridge.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Sextro posted:

Aw, turns out it isn't actually available? I don't use alarms, but that thing is cute.

I saw it on some blog like 15 years ago and the idea really stuck with me. Apparently they tried to get the investors on that shark tank show to go for it a couple years ago but failed. It seems too good to be true, and you know they'd be sued to oblivion if they ever got regular dumb-rear end people to buy and use (and start grease fires with) that thing. IIRC it worked the same as an easy-bake oven, and it'd turn the bulb on 30 minutes before your alarm.

e: also how do you not use alarms?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I like that you think the problem with that is the heating element and not sleeping next to one slice of unrefrigerated meat, which you consume in the morning, every night.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I know nothing of those guys' attempt, but a funny implementation could be a Peltier device. Put current through one direction, chill bacon. Put it through the other way, heat bacon :)

They're horrendously inefficient and require gabs of power and waste heat management, but for a Cornballer style gag I'd say worth it.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

fart store posted:

e: also how do you not use alarms?

I have a 20 minute walking commute and an elastic morning routine that I can easily adjust based on how much time I have when I wake up. Then I go to bed, consistently, 8-9 hours before I ideally should wake up.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Sextro posted:

I go to bed, consistently, 8-9 hours before I ideally should wake up.

I refuse to believe any human being is capable of this.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Organza Quiz posted:

I refuse to believe any human being is capable of this.

It's easy if you don't have kids. I do this all the time.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That Works posted:

It's easy if you don't have kids or soundproof walls

ftfy

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Don't use an alarm either. I wake up at 6:30 give or take a few minutes every single day for like, years now. Even on weekends and holidays which is kind of annoying.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Anyone have a good recipe for karaage? Especially for someone who doesn't have a deep fryer?

(I do have an enameled cast iron Dutch Oven)

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Chemmy posted:

I like that you think the problem with that is the heating element and not sleeping next to one slice of unrefrigerated meat, which you consume in the morning, every night.

Well cured bacon is pretty hardy stuff. It's typically a little over 2% salt and most of the rest is fat, which can usually last a while before going rancid. Doing a little cursory research, even the USDA (which famously errs on the side of caution in regards to these types of things) says please don't leave your unrefrigerated cured bacon out for longer than ten days.

I probably wouldn't try it with uncured, despite thinking it's probably also pretty safe.

Also my fermented garlic honey didn't kill me.

e: further fun facts: seawater and pickle brine are ~3.5% salt, which puts cured bacon (~2.4%) at 2/3 the salinity of a proper brine. (i'm not saying it's 2/3 as shelf-stable, I just think it's interesting to know)

fart store fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 20, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Ok, so I've been hearing a lot about the instant pot lately. Is it as good as people say? How annoying is the cleanup?

Also, we really need to eat more greens and I'm thinking the Vitamix would open up a world of soups and smoothies. Does that sound reasonable? I've been waiting for an excuse to buy one for years.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Beachcomber posted:

Ok, so I've been hearing a lot about the instant pot lately. Is it as good as people say? How annoying is the cleanup?

Also, we really need to eat more greens and I'm thinking the Vitamix would open up a world of soups and smoothies. Does that sound reasonable? I've been waiting for an excuse to buy one for years.

Cleanup is no different than any comparable sized pot/pan. It's nothing special. It's a good utensil, very good as a rice or pressure cooker, less good as a slow cooker but it can do that too.

Vitamix is $$$. Lot of other blender options for far less if you're not gonna use it tons / have specific applications in mind IMO. Of course if you're makin bank then it's obviously a good appliance.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Beachcomber posted:

Its good, but it hasn't revolutionized my life like all the recipe bloggers promised. Great for beans and curries. Cleanup is about on par with a ricecooker, it has an insert that needs to be washed, but it goes in the dishwasher fine.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I use mine all the time and like it a lot, but I am sure I would use a cheaper brand'a pressure cooker all the time and have similar results as well.

Pulled pork comes out well, and pretty quickly.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Beachcomber posted:

What kinds of greens? There's a world of roasting and stewed veggies that don't require anything other than a pan or a pot!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
In addition to looking for a good recipe for karaage, I just got back from 3 days of travel, and the eggs I put in my pickled onions have become cloudy/fuzzy.

Did I ruin both the eggs and the onions? Or is this fairly normal and still safe to eat? They've been refrigerated the entire time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Beachcomber posted:

I would describe my Instant Pot as "fine," but I am actually kind of mad about how much people talk it up, because it is nowhere near as good as people say. It's perfectly fine in its own right, but it will absolutely not save you significant time on most tasks. Yes, it will cook stuff in way less time than it would normally take... once it comes to pressure. But it will take a good while to come up to pressure, and for a lot of things, mostly meat, you need to let it slowly depressurize (versus flicking the valve to open). It takes so much time to come to pressure, and so much time to depressurize if your recipe requires that, that there is little if any true time savings. I don't think these things are unique to Instant Pots versus "normal" pressure cookers, but the IP is the fad. I am not sure I am happy I spent the money or devoted the storage space to it versus just making stuff in a Dutch oven. You also get to worry vaguely about whether it will explode and destroy your kitchen.

One nice thing about it is that it will free up a burner, or your oven, to make something else simultaneously.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I accidentally somehow misinterpeted "a pinch of sugar" as "a big tablespoon of sugar" in a recipe for a pot roast/braise kind of thing. It tastes okay if oddly sweet now, but I just started it and the juice hasn't reduced at all. Is there anything I can do to counteract the sweetness once it reduces?

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

guppy posted:

I would describe my Instant Pot as "fine," but I am actually kind of mad about how much people talk it up, because it is nowhere near as good as people say. It's perfectly fine in its own right, but it will absolutely not save you significant time on most tasks. Yes, it will cook stuff in way less time than it would normally take... once it comes to pressure. But it will take a good while to come up to pressure, and for a lot of things, mostly meat, you need to let it slowly depressurize (versus flicking the valve to open). It takes so much time to come to pressure, and so much time to depressurize if your recipe requires that, that there is little if any true time savings. I don't think these things are unique to Instant Pots versus "normal" pressure cookers, but the IP is the fad. I am not sure I am happy I spent the money or devoted the storage space to it versus just making stuff in a Dutch oven. You also get to worry vaguely about whether it will explode and destroy your kitchen.

One nice thing about it is that it will free up a burner, or your oven, to make something else simultaneously.

Yeah, people tend to oversell the time savings involved in pressure cooking. Using a PC only really saves you significant time if you're doing something that normally takes hours, like making stock or cooking dried beans.

In my experience, the main selling point is that the IP is basically a slow cooker that you don't necessarily have to plan 8+ hours ahead to actually use, which is why some use it for less time-intensive applications. The "set it and forget it" quality seems more of a draw than any promise of speeding up everyday tasks. And in that capacity, the IP and its ilk generally do a decent job. But it's not some kind of magical device that will automatically make you a better cook. It does a limited number of things decently, and more easily/consistently than stovetop PCs (which are technically superior but a pain in the rear end to use).

But then, there is that subset of people who will try to apply their shiny new gadget to anything and everything in an attempt to justify their purchases, even if what they want to do is clearly not what the product is designed for. These people are best ignored entirely. (Case in point: the people who ask about making cookies sous-vide. Ugh.)

Annath posted:

In addition to looking for a good recipe for karaage, I just got back from 3 days of travel, and the eggs I put in my pickled onions have become cloudy/fuzzy.

Did I ruin both the eggs and the onions? Or is this fairly normal and still safe to eat? They've been refrigerated the entire time.

I know cloudiness in pickled eggs isn't unheard of, but I can't find any pat reason why.

I don't know how long the eggs have been in the brine total, but I have a hard time imagining that they aren't safe to eat after only 3 days. Especially if your brine's strong enough and you've kept them refrigerated.

If they don't smell or feel off, I wouldn't think that they're ruined. It may be that the egg proteins or minerals are sloughing off and causing some cloudiness, or there's some small chemical reaction going on.

Cloudiness is one sign of spoilage in pickles, but cloudiness has several more benign causes as well (table salt, lacto-fermentation, etc.).

I don't have a conclusive answer for you, but those are my thoughts.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Dead Of Winter posted:

I know cloudiness in pickled eggs isn't unheard of, but I can't find any pat reason why.

I don't know how long the eggs have been in the brine total, but I have a hard time imagining that they aren't safe to eat after only 3 days. Especially if your brine's strong enough and you've kept them refrigerated.

If they don't smell or feel off, I wouldn't think that they're ruined. It may be that the egg proteins or minerals are sloughing off and causing some cloudiness, or there's some small chemical reaction going on.

Cloudiness is one sign of spoilage in pickles, but cloudiness has several more benign causes as well (table salt, lacto-fermentation, etc.).

I don't have a conclusive answer for you, but those are my thoughts.

They've only been in there a total of 4 days, and it smells fine. I went ahead and ate one, and it tasted fine, so I guess now I just wait and see if I die.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dead Of Winter posted:

In my experience, the main selling point is that the IP is basically a slow cooker that you don't necessarily have to plan 8+ hours ahead to actually use, which is why some use it for less time-intensive applications. The "set it and forget it" quality seems more of a draw than any promise of speeding up everyday tasks. And in that capacity, the IP and its ilk generally do a decent job. But it's not some kind of magical device that will automatically make you a better cook. It does a limited number of things decently, and more easily/consistently than stovetop PCs (which are technically superior but a pain in the rear end to use).

This tracks my experience.

Boiled (steamed) eggs that peel beautifully? Boom, Instant Pot and check back when I hear the beep.
Stock in around 2 hours that I just check back on when I hear the beep? Great.
Pulled pork that (after searing) I just check back on when I hear the beep? Perfect.
etc.

...mind you, I love "push the button and gently caress off until you hear the beep" cooking so I love my Instant Pot and Anova.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BrianBoitano posted:

What kinds of greens? There's a world of roasting and stewed veggies that don't require anything other than a pan or a pot!

Generally when I make green vegetables it's steamed broccoli. I love steamed broccoli. When it comes to green beans, it's usually ham and bean soup, which boils all the vitamins and stuff out. Besides, like, romaine, other green veggies intimidate me.

Oh, except Brusselsprouts, but my wife doesn't like them.

The hope was I could get some kale or whatever and either hide it in a smoothie or make a cream soup, or even do shots.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My kimchi is soggy. What causes soggy kimchi? How can I adjust my recipes to avoid this?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

My kimchi is soggy. What causes soggy kimchi? How can I adjust my recipes to avoid this?

More straining and pressing after the salting phase

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Beachcomber posted:

Generally when I make green vegetables it's steamed broccoli. I love steamed broccoli. When it comes to green beans, it's usually ham and bean soup, which boils all the vitamins and stuff out. Besides, like, romaine, other green veggies intimidate me.

Oh, except Brusselsprouts, but my wife doesn't like them.

The hope was I could get some kale or whatever and either hide it in a smoothie or make a cream soup, or even do shots.

Some vitamins and antioxidants are reduced by heat, like vitamin B, C, and polyphenolics, some fare better like A, D, E and K, but others are increased in bioavailability, like lycopene.

The main problem with boiling or steaming is that some of the good stuff is water soluble and gets left in the pot, but if you're making soup you're drinking those vitamins so you're good. If you're making collard greens or broccoli soup you'll lose some to heat but not that much.

The key is to eat things you enjoy so you eat more of them, and to eat a variety, both ingredients and prep methods.

I'd recommend roasted broccoli or summer squash or tomatoes, grilled veggies for tacos (cast iron skillet inside is fine too - just be ready for smoke), stir fried green beans or asparagus (the method, doesn't need to be Asian seasoning, just fast and hot in a few Tbsp oil, stop while they still have crunch and haven't lost their green)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I accidentally somehow misinterpeted "a pinch of sugar" as "a big tablespoon of sugar" in a recipe for a pot roast/braise kind of thing. It tastes okay if oddly sweet now, but I just started it and the juice hasn't reduced at all. Is there anything I can do to counteract the sweetness once it reduces?

Acid will help balance the sweetness. Depends on how sweet it is after reducing for how much acidity you want...first and foremost I'd add a cup of red wine before reducing. If it's still too sweet after reducing, use red wine or sherry vinegar a little at a time until it's evened out.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BrianBoitano posted:

Some vitamins and antioxidants are reduced by heat, like vitamin B, C, and polyphenolics, some fare better like A, D, E and K, but others are increased in bioavailability, like lycopene.

The main problem with boiling or steaming is that some of the good stuff is water soluble and gets left in the pot, but if you're making soup you're drinking those vitamins so you're good.

Does steaming still lose vitamins if you don't use any water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Beachcomber posted:

Does steaming still lose vitamins if you don't use any water?

Uh, wouldn't steaming without the water, and therefore the steam, just be baking?