Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Apparently there's such thing as a Hyundai SSD and it can be yours for the low price of $16.99

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyundai-Technology-Sapphire-SSD-120GB-3D-TLC-Flash-Internal-2-5-SATA-III/126446416

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

MaxxBot posted:

Apparently there's such thing as a Hyundai SSD and it can be yours for the low price of $16.99

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyundai-Technology-Sapphire-SSD-120GB-3D-TLC-Flash-Internal-2-5-SATA-III/126446416
:eyepop:

Klyith posted:

WD Blue 500gb is $60 on amazon (or $115 for 1TB) and indistinguishable from the Samsung Evos in performance. They also have a great track record for reliability. Samsung is absolutely charging for name recognition these days.

Hell yea, I will place my order Monday

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

GenericGirlName posted:

It's been going great except that I'm constantly on the edge of being out of space. I'm looking into grabbing the Samsung 860 500gb on amazon for slightly under $80 and doing a disk clone onto it. Any obvious reason to get a different 500gb harddrive? I'm cool with a cheaper 500gb as long as it isn't garage.

Good advice above, but if you think even more space would be beneficial you can often find the ADATA SU800 1TB for about the same price you were going to pay for the 500GB Samsung.

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/adata/product/ASU800SS-1TT-C/

(Member price just means you sign up for a free account)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MaxxBot posted:

"I don't understand...how can a fan belt break in an SSD...and after only two terabytes of writes?"

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Phison E12 firmware 12.2 is still the latest with no real problems?

I realized I hadn't actually checked my firmware version when I installed my P34A80 so I did it now.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yup, 12.1 had issues with thermal throttling, 12.2 fixes them.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Is there a good writeup somewhere about which Phison drives can have their firmware updated, and how to do it? I have a Silicon Power brand drive and the only thing I can find on their site is a program called "SSD Firmware Update Software", a Windows program last updated over a year ago. When I run it, it says it can't find any drive connected to the computer.

It shipped with a pretty new firmware, but the next version after it improves the thermals, so it would be nice if I can upgrade it.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I pasted a link to a link a few pages ago. It was a generic firmware and the link was from Hard Forums or HardOCP or something.

I ran that generic firmware on both of my Phison drives: the Corsair Force and the MyDigitalSSD.

It upgraded the MyDigital no problem and skipped the Corsair because the Corsair was already on 12.2.

It's a small Windows utility. It tells you to turn off the PC after doing the update. I shut down fully and rebooted: no problems.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
I also ran that on my BPX Pro and it went fine. I also ran the 12.1 update that MDSDD distributed, and they're clearly the same software (with different payloads) -- the firmware updater is made by Phison and then rebadged by the various companies selling the drives. The 12.2 updater that is floating around is badged by some Japanese company and the instructions that come with it are in Japanese, but the software itself is still in English.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

MaxxBot posted:

Huh. Weird.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hyundai-sapphire-ssd,4948.html

quote:

Hyundai Technology is not the same company that builds automobiles, nor is it the previous parent company of Hynix. General Procurement, Inc. (out of Santa Ana, CA) licenses the Hyundai name.

$25.99 - Hyundai Sapphire 240GB
https://www.amazon.com/Hyundai-Sapphire-Internal-C2S3T-240G/dp/B01N46A9YL

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Am I right in understanding that the Crucial P1 is basically the NVMe variant of the MX500 and as such a generally recommended component?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Infected posted:

Am I right in understanding that the Crucial P1 is basically the NVMe variant of the MX500 and as such a generally recommended component?

No, the P1 is a QLC drive like the Intel 660p. This means it's a fine drive for regular consumer/enthusiast people but not great for anything that does a lot of writes. You should only buy it at the 1 or 2 TB size, and know that the SLC cache is variable based on how full the drive is.

Intel is way more aggressive with prices for the 660p, which is why you don't see anyone talk about the P1.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Had my first non-Intel SSD failure at work today.

Sandisk Z400s... Was a OEM drive inside a Lenovo system.

Will get detected if you let it sit for awhile, but shows no file systems, nor can you write to it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

stevewm posted:

Will get detected if you let it sit for awhile, but shows no file systems, nor can you write to it.

I have had almost every brand let me down so far :(

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
PCIe 6.0 announced, spec to come out in 2021 :eyepop:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14559/pci-express-bandwidth-to-be-doubled-again-pcie-60-announced-spec-to-land-in-2021

Going to PAM4 from NRZ to keep the board guys from killing themselves, at least :haw:

x16 getting 128GB/s, drat

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Guess the pci sig wants to rip the bandage off.

I have extended family that will be retiring from pci hardware engineering around 2022-2025, maybe they'll decide to retire early.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
After stalling out for so long on 3.0 they seem to want to get a good cadence up of speed doubling every 3 years or so.

I wonder if the CXL/CCIX style features will get rolled in as well for things like cache coherency and lower latency memory accesses.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Klyith posted:

No, the P1 is a QLC drive like the Intel 660p. This means it's a fine drive for regular consumer/enthusiast people but not great for anything that does a lot of writes. You should only buy it at the 1 or 2 TB size, and know that the SLC cache is variable based on how full the drive is.

Intel is way more aggressive with prices for the 660p, which is why you don't see anyone talk about the P1.

The 660p is also single-sided even at 2 TB for anyone with a particularly tight installation. Also I'd just go with the 660p and ignore the P1, and just get the 2 TB version for that sweet capacity/$; there are plenty of better, reasonably-priced 1 TB 3D TLC NVMe drives now.

stevewm posted:

If I remember correctly that was an early (and DRAMless?) HDD-replacement (or upgrade) series from Sandisk. Perfectly usable and absolutely better than whatever HDD the system came with for the OS, but low-end even while new. Not surprising that it failed eventually, but after, what, 3-4 years, I wouldn't be too annoyed.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Atomizer posted:

The 660p is also single-sided even at 2 TB for anyone with a particularly tight installation. Also I'd just go with the 660p and ignore the P1, and just get the 2 TB version for that sweet capacity/$; there are plenty of better, reasonably-priced 1 TB 3D TLC NVMe drives now.

It's more that even after reading the OP, I still have no real idea what the word salad that the usual description for a SSD is, is supposed to tell me.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Infected posted:

It's more that even after reading the OP, I still have no real idea what the word salad that the usual description for a SSD is, is supposed to tell me.

I can help you out:

SATA: The logical interface most commonly used to connect HDDs. It's a bottleneck for SSD performance.
NVMe: A newer, faster interface (based on PCIe, like what you use to connect your GPU) that lets SSDs perform unrestricted.
m.2: A physical interface (specifically, a card edge connector) that can connect logically to multiple different buses, like USB, SATA, or NVMe (the latter being PCIe over m.2.)
AIB: Add-in board. A card that connects directly to a PCIe slot just like a graphics card.

2D/Planar vs. 3D/V-NAND: This doesn't even really matter anymore because everything is 3D now. 3D is better (performance, endurance.)

SLC vs MLC vs TLC vs QLC: The number of bits stored in each "cell", the structure used to store data, going from 1 to 4, respectively. This is in order from best to worst in terms of performance and endurance, but reverse order in terms of price. Nowadays even MLC (2 bits per cell) is rare and TLC (3 bits) is pretty much the standard for consumer SSDs. The QLC drives we were talking about, then, offer the worst performance and longevity but with the potential for the best pricing per capacity.

DRAM: The same type of memory your PC uses, and for a similar purpose. SSDs can be built with or without DRAM, but its absence decreases performance, endurance, and price.

Endurance: The technology enabling modern SSDs is called NAND flash, and it has a limited number of erase/rewrite cycles before each cell wears out and can no longer hold a charge (a charge being the bits of data.) SSDs use a variety of techniques to balance wear across the entire drive.

I think that covers most of the basics you'd need to understand SSDs; did you want anything else clarified? When buying an SSD, you're basically looking at two things: interface and capacity. You need to determine how you're connecting the SSD: is it via a standard SATA connector, or m.2 SATA, or m.2 NVMe? Then you need to figure out how much capacity you need, and buy an SSD of sufficiently greater capacity so you have room for future expansion as well as the ability to avoid filling up the drive, which will cause it to wear out faster. Beyond that, you're not going to notice minor differences in performance, and you're not likely to wear out an SSD unless you're trying to do so or abusing it unintentionally (by keeping it near full.) Making sure a drive has DRAM is generally preferred, though, unless there's a significant price savings for a similar drive and it's only going to be used in a mostly-read, limited-write scenario.

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

Atomizer posted:

If I remember correctly that was an early (and DRAMless?) HDD-replacement (or upgrade) series from Sandisk. Perfectly usable and absolutely better than whatever HDD the system came with for the OS, but low-end even while new. Not surprising that it failed eventually, but after, what, 3-4 years, I wouldn't be too annoyed.

Are you saying he should buy the 2TB 660p? I think I’m in a similar boat. I’m looking for something that size but don’t mind spending more on a Phison E12 if that seems worth it. If all I do is game, any thoughts on what route makes the most sense? It also seems like there might be some new technology coming down the pipeline later this year? I have a Samsung 850 that doesn’t have enough capacity but could easily wait if it seemed worth it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SteveMcQueen posted:

Are you saying he should buy the 2TB 660p? I think I’m in a similar boat. I’m looking for something that size but don’t mind spending more on a Phison E12 if that seems worth it. If all I do is game, any thoughts on what route makes the most sense? It also seems like there might be some new technology coming down the pipeline later this year? I have a Samsung 850 that doesn’t have enough capacity but could easily wait if it seemed worth it.

I recommend that specific SSD (I have it in a few systems) if you need as much m.2 storage as possible (e.g. in a NUC with only 2x m.2 slots and no bays, or in a laptop with only 1 2.5" bay and 1 or more m.2 slots.) It's the lowest cost (as low as ~$170 on sale last I saw) for that amount of SS storage in the m.2 form factor (the WD Blue is SATA and a little more expensive at least the last time I checked, but it's TLC instead of QLC and has more DRAM.) There are 2 TB 2.5" SSDs (Micron 1100, SU800) also under $200 that would be viable alternatives if 2.5" SATA is an option.

For example, my NUC configuration is a ~500 GB NVMe (SX8200) for the OS, and the 660p for games. The NUC has no storage bays, although USB3 would be an option. My recommended laptop configuration is typically something like 1x m.2 SSD and 1x 2.5" 2 TB HDD, because the former gives sufficient performance for the OS and the latter is acceptable cheap storage (~$80) for games. The m.2 could be SATA or NVMe as desired, and the HDD could be swapped for a 2 TB SSD (at at least double the cost) if preferred. I have one of those OP gaming laptops with the aforementioned HDD and NVMe OS drive, and an additional 660p for more storage (it has 2 m.2 slots, both NVMe and one SATA-capable, plus the one 2.5" bay.)

So should you buy the 660p or wait? Well if you just need a single m.2 SSD, it's fine for the OS; it's not as good as TLC drives, but they're more expensive for the same capacity. If you have room for multiple drives then it's perfectly viable as one of your cheapest storage options (which is why I exclusively recommend the 2 TB version.) Last I checked SSD prices were supposed to continue to decline, but to avoid waiting indefinitely just buy when you're ready. Very broadly, you'll be satisfied with basically any SSD you buy now, as long as you have sufficient capacity, for all the reasons I mentioned in my last post.

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

Atomizer posted:

SSD download

This is awesome and all very helpful. Thank you! I think I’ll step up from the 660p then. Looks like amazon is selling Sabrent Rocket drives for cheap at the moment.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

SteveMcQueen posted:

This is awesome and all very helpful. Thank you! I think I’ll step up from the 660p then. Looks like amazon is selling Sabrent Rocket drives for cheap at the moment.

This one is even cheaper than the Sabrent and it's built with the same Phison E12 controller.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

and if you're going to buy Inland, might as well buy it from the company who makes it, Micro Center. no need to give Jeff Bezos a cut on your store brand SSD which you can get for cheaper at the actual store that makes it

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Question, going to be doing more or less a new build in a couple of weeks. I currently have a Samsun Pro 840 in my computer, but it's only 256gb. I'm thinking of buying this, Based on some quick reading on different forums. Are there any other recommendations you guys might have? The computer would likely be a Ryzen 3000 chipset used primarily for gaming, and light VM work.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 22, 2019

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Zotix posted:

Question, going to be doing more or less a new build in a couple of weeks. I currently have a Samsun Pro 840 in my computer, but it's only 256gb. I'm thinking of buying this, Based on some quick reading on different forums. Are there any other recommendations you guys might have? The computer would likely be a Ryzen 3000 chipset used primarily for gaming, and light VM work.

Save yourself $40 and get that Inland Premium model that's going for $105 from Microcenter or Amazon. The SX8200 Pro is a great drive, but the performance of the Inland Premium drive will likely be indistinguishable.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Save yourself $40 and get that Inland Premium model that's going for $105 from Microcenter or Amazon. The SX8200 Pro is a great drive, but the performance of the Inland Premium drive will likely be indistinguishable.

Seems pretty solid. I won't have any issues with slotting that into a new AM4 board for a Ryzen 3000 build I'll do in 2 weeks? Is 2280 the most recent form factor for the M2 NVMe?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Zotix posted:

Seems pretty solid. I won't have any issues with slotting that into a new AM4 board for a Ryzen 3000 build I'll do in 2 weeks? Is 2280 the most recent form factor for the M2 NVMe?

Due your due diligence and double check your motherboard specs, but every NVMe drive I've seen has been 2280 so I can't imagine a motherboard not supporting that.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Unfortunately I don't think any of the new Ryzen boards have really been unveiled yet. I don't want to get an existing board and dealing with possibly having to flash the bios to make it compatible, i'd rather just buy a new one. I suppose if there isn't a newer form factor for the AM4 board, then the 2280 would be the newest.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
2280 isn't a revision number, it's the physical dimensions of the drive, 22mm by 80mm. Desktop M.2 slots intended for storage will have a screw for 2280.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Llamadeus posted:

2280 isn't a revision number, it's the physical dimensions of the drive, 22mm by 80mm. Desktop M.2 slots intended for storage will have a screw for 2280.

Gotcha. Thanks.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

22110 only for me plz

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I want to piggyback off this question:

Atomizer posted:

It's the lowest cost (as low as ~$170 on sale last I saw) for that amount of SS storage in the m.2 form factor (the WD Blue is SATA and a little more expensive at least the last time I checked, but it's TLC instead of QLC and has more DRAM.)
I'm looking at these two drives, Intel 660p and WD Blue 3D. If they both cost the same then I should buy the WD instead of the Intel? From reviews I gather that the Intel's advantage is much faster best case scenarios but I'm not clear if the worst case is worse than the SATA. I really have no idea how much I'll be filling the drive, but knowing me I'll probably fill it a lot so that has me a bit concerned with the 660p, but it's also hard for me to tell from benchmarks if the numbers (in either direction) are noticeable.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

22110 only for me plz

The only 22110 drives I've known of thus far are older ones that needed to be higher-density when the NAND wasn't really cooperative on that front. They're far more popular for workstation and server applications, and you don't usually see 22110 slots on recent boards (and if there are, it's usually just *one*). It's entirely possible that the first 4TB M.2 drives will be 22110, but who knows. The market for them is *that* small, and there are even too few PCIe riser adapters that'll seat them.

Also, a word of caution regarding the Phison E12 drives. There's a 25+ page long deal thread pertaining to them on the HardForum where someone found out that they natively use 4K data blocks and do not/may not have 512 bit emulation (no one knows yet if this is a Phison thing or maker-specific). This makes them incompatible with a lot of popular backup software. I'm sure there'll be a fix for that ~eventually~, but right now, it's definitely something to keep in mind.

Here's the thread on the Acronis forums giving more detail: https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-2019-forum/ti2019-restore-problem

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, a word of caution regarding the Phison E12 drives. There's a 25+ page long deal thread pertaining to them on the HardForum where someone found out that they natively use 4K data blocks and do not/may not have 512 bit emulation (no one knows yet if this is a Phison thing or maker-specific). This makes them incompatible with a lot of popular backup software. I'm sure there'll be a fix for that ~eventually~, but right now, it's definitely something to keep in mind.

Here's the thread on the Acronis forums giving more detail: https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-2019-forum/ti2019-restore-problem

It's only a small minority of E12 drives. The Sabrent Rocket is the most common of the drives with this issue (actually, the only one I'm aware of, but given that the person who posted that thread on the Acronis forums posted screenshots in Japanese I'm guessing that there's some model sold in Japan that has this issue as well), and Sabrent has released a tool that converts the sector size.

Kairos fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 22, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Great to know - definitely needed to be mentioned as the Inland (and Sabrent) drives are being recommended and it's better to know this going in than be surprised later.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

https://www.techpowerup.com/256640/corsair-mp600-pcie-gen-4-m-2-ssd-pricing-out

Corsair's E16-based PCIe 4.0 SSD is allegedly going to retail for €249 for 1TB and €449 for 2TB in the European market. Compared to €160 and €320 respectively for the MP510 (which on Amazon.com is currently $125 and $280 respectively).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I'm looking at these two drives, Intel 660p and WD Blue 3D. If they both cost the same then I should buy the WD instead of the Intel? From reviews I gather that the Intel's advantage is much faster best case scenarios but I'm not clear if the worst case is worse than the SATA. I really have no idea how much I'll be filling the drive, but knowing me I'll probably fill it a lot so that has me a bit concerned with the 660p, but it's also hard for me to tell from benchmarks if the numbers (in either direction) are noticeable.

When considering the WD drive, do you have a reason to want it in the m.2 form factor? It potentially limits re-use versus a 2.5" drive. An m.2 SATA drive means you're stuck with the m.2 socket, and in desktops you get 2 or at most 3 m.2 slots on your mobo versus 6 normal SATA jacks. (OTOH if you're putting it into a laptop ignore this question.)

The 660p is faster than a SATA drive in any scenario that involves staying in its SLC cache, and can be well worse than a SATA when it's full and hitting the QLC harder. But performance depends on your job. If your work is video games there's no difference between any recent SSD, because all of them are capable of delivering more bandwidth than games can process.

If you're likely to fill the drive all the way up I might just stick with a TLC drive anyways, because you don't have to worry as much about what happens to it when full. Besides worse performance, write amplification is potentially nasty for these QLC drives since they need space to do their shuffling of SLC/QLC data in the background. But that's only if the drive is really full.

Between 2tb of QLC/NVMe and TLC/SATA, I'd probably pick the TLC/SATA if that was my only solid state drive just because it's fast enough and I never have to think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Klyith posted:

When considering the WD drive, do you have a reason to want it in the m.2 form factor? It potentially limits re-use versus a 2.5" drive. An m.2 SATA drive means you're stuck with the m.2 socket, and in desktops you get 2 or at most 3 m.2 slots on your mobo versus 6 normal SATA jacks. (OTOH if you're putting it into a laptop ignore this question.)

If you find yourself with an M.2 SATA drive and in need of a 2.5" SATA drive you can always buy a cheap adapter.