Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Poniard posted:

my waffling on hrt probably means i should just go figure out how to get it

whereabouts do you live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
welp

Taco Tuesday is a success

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lain Iwakura posted:

welp

wow being able to post later the same day is already doing better than my friend

grats :toot:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Lain Iwakura posted:

welp

congratulations!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://twitter.com/LeftAtLondon/status/1140319724724604928

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lain Iwakura posted:

welp

just wait til u get to sour cream Saturday

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lain Iwakura posted:

welp

:woop:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

jit bull transpile posted:

OH MY GOD BECKY

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

mods!!!!!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

r u narking or requesting yospos lgbtqia+ thread: Sour Cream Saturday

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

r u narking or requesting yospos lgbtqia+ thread: Sour Cream Saturday

please make it so

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lain Iwakura posted:

please make it so

I've been thinking we need a thread title change lol

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

I've been thinking we need a thread title change lol
YESSSSSS

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
thanks jraph

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lains polycules faces in 3ish months

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

lains polycules faces in 3ish months

to be fair I just have two partners haha

also I walked a whole lap around the floor today and didn’t have much of an issue besides some slight nausea!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

reported

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

glad you're doing well

SRS is how I found out that I react poorly to morphine; it makes me really nauseous but luckily they were able to put me on something else

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Pose is so consistently good and also upsetting. I hope you all are watching it.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Grats

question for those living in the states: is it normal for every trans mental health care provider in your areas to not allow you to pay with insurance? around here they say it's for privacy concerns but honestly it just feels like it's just ripping people off because it's a college area and college kids are generally better off than most

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SunAndSpring posted:

Grats

question for those living in the states: is it normal for every trans mental health care provider in your areas to not allow you to pay with insurance? around here they say it's for privacy concerns but honestly it just feels like it's just ripping people off because it's a college area and college kids are generally better off than most

I've never had a therapist that took insurance. if it's covered at all I usually have to submit the bills for reimbursement afterward. that is pretty normal for any type of mental health in our lovely country.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i live in fuckin norcal and it was still a pain in the rear end to find a therapist when i was first transitioning, and even before then, i was paying my previous (non-gender-related) therapist out of pocket.

even with the gender therapist, it wasn't so much about privacy as it was about the convoluted system of different insurances, and the difficulty of getting them to pay out properly or in a timely fashion. they had a specific insurer they had a partnership with, but all others were out of pocket, & client could seek reimbursement on their own.

the health insurance industry is loving stupid. i've had a much easier time with kaiser, but it's also expensive as poo poo, but it's still worth the reduced frustration for me. i don't have a therapist through them, but i'm seriously considering it lately.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I've never had a therapist that took insurance. if it's covered at all I usually have to submit the bills for reimbursement afterward. that is pretty normal for any type of mental health in our lovely country.

my wife and i have both had a few therapists that take insurance, but yeah most of them make us do it ourselves. i've never had one outright not covered though, but i'm sure there's plenty of those out there

Gnossiennes posted:

i live in fuckin norcal and it was still a pain in the rear end to find a therapist when i was first transitioning, and even before then, i was paying my previous (non-gender-related) therapist out of pocket.

even with the gender therapist, it wasn't so much about privacy as it was about the convoluted system of different insurances, and the difficulty of getting them to pay out properly or in a timely fashion. they had a specific insurer they had a partnership with, but all others were out of pocket, & client could seek reimbursement on their own.

the health insurance industry is loving stupid. i've had a much easier time with kaiser, but it's also expensive as poo poo, but it's still worth the reduced frustration for me. i don't have a therapist through them, but i'm seriously considering it lately.

yeah i've never heard the "privacy" excuse, that's bullshit, the real reason is that therapists are generally a single person in an office and they're busy doing, y'know, therapy, and don't have time to handle the massive clusterfuck of medical coding and billing, and also they probably can't afford to pay someone else to do that full time either. i suppose "i don't have time for that, you do it" would probably get a lot more resistance and complaints than "oh it's a privacy issue" though

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

BattleMaster posted:

glad you're doing well

SRS is how I found out that I react poorly to morphine; it makes me really nauseous but luckily they were able to put me on something else

I don’t really respond to painkillers until it is perocet. tramadol has been useless for me sadly so they’ve given me oxys which while useful they also cause a butt load of nausea

also the nurses here do prefer to speak French which was concerning when I had to speak to a member of the anaesthesiology team about me. somehow I managed

the catheter and blood drainers suck

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Lain Iwakura posted:

I don’t really respond to painkillers until it is perocet. tramadol has been useless for me sadly so they’ve given me oxys which while useful they also cause a butt load of nausea

that'd be the neo half of oxy neo

upside of that is if you refuse an opiate your odds of being labeled a drug-seeking pt plummet

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Shame, that sounds about right.

it's a pain in all of the rear end to find a therapist you click with, much less one who specializes in gender issues. Or so I imagine, because I've got a hell of a backlog and I don't think I'll get to the gender-related trauma of my teens and twenties until at least Q3 2044.

Lain Iwakura posted:

Weird, because aside from the acetaminophen and the time release they're the same thing.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

SunAndSpring posted:

Grats

i’m in Chicago and my therapist is covered under my insurance but they only accept one carrier (blue cross).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lain Iwakura posted:

also the nurses here do prefer to speak French which was concerning when I had to speak to a member of the anaesthesiology team about me. somehow I managed

the catheter and blood drainers suck

i hope they're at least giving you an anti-emetic too? whenever i've been in the hospital on opiates i also got super barfy so they injected some drug that disables my barfy bits into the IV and i felt a hell of a lot better almost instantly

also yeah friend said the catheter was the worst part too, ugh. hope you heal fast so they can maybe take it out early or somethin'

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Shame Boy posted:

i hope they're at least giving you an anti-emetic too? whenever i've been in the hospital on opiates i also got super barfy so they injected some drug that disables my barfy bits into the IV and i felt a hell of a lot better almost instantly

also yeah friend said the catheter was the worst part too, ugh. hope you heal fast so they can maybe take it out early or somethin'

yeah. they have been helping me with nausea. I refused some oxys today because I’d rather not vomit

also phantom pain is weird

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
that sucks. percocet is what carries me through all this trans self pain inflicting

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Oof, I am not looking forward to that with opioids being a huge no-no for me

Also, if anyone's in LA we're doing a Queer-In at Langer's next weekend.

Lain Iwakura posted:

:cry: nooooooo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lain Iwakura posted:

yeah. they have been helping me with nausea. I refused some oxys today because I’d rather not vomit

Sounds like a pain in the dick :dadjoke:

Get well soon Lain!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

actually now i'm really curious, peeps who have had bottom surgery: does your, like, internal body map update immediately or does it take a little while or what? like if i close my eyes and something touches me i have an innate spatial sense of where that touch is happening, but I'd think surgery like this would move around where those nerve endings are and your brain would have to take a little time to figure it out right?

(sorry if this is too personal, feel free to tell me to gently caress off cuz it's none of my business)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shame Boy posted:

actually now i'm really curious, peeps who have had bottom surgery: does your, like, internal body map update immediately or does it take a little while or what? like if i close my eyes and something touches me i have an innate spatial sense of where that touch is happening, but I'd think surgery like this would move around where those nerve endings are and your brain would have to take a little time to figure it out right?

(sorry if this is too personal, feel free to tell me to gently caress off cuz it's none of my business)

so for me while the nerves were healing it felt like I had a tiny boner pushing into my underwear for a few weeks. now I don't feel much of anything unless I'm interacting with it, which definitely feels more "right" as before I was constantly aware of (and self conscious of) my junk to an intrusive degree.

I did forget I can't pee while standing anymore my first night off the cath which led to a fun situation though

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

so for me while the nerves were healing it felt like I had a tiny boner pushing into my underwear for a few weeks. now I don't feel much of anything unless I'm interacting with it, which definitely feels more "right" as before I was constantly aware of (and self conscious of) my junk to an intrusive degree.

huh neat, thanks. brains are weird.

I did forget I can't pee while standing anymore my first night off the cath which led to a fun situation though

lmao

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

the stent gets all the press for being the worst part of SRS but imo it was actually the catheter

re: internal mapping of body parts, it actually took a while for things to sort themselves out for me and even now 6 years later if I think about it I can remember which part used to be what when I feel an itch or other sensation (for example labial itching feeling like ball itching)

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 20, 2019

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Lain Iwakura posted:

not kojima’s best work

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

BattleMaster posted:

the stent gets all the press for being the worst part of SRS but imo it was actually the catheter

re: internal mapping of body parts, it actually took a while for things to sort themselves out for me and even now 6 years later if I think about it I can remember which part used to be what when I feel an itch or other sensation (for example labial itching feeling like ball itching)

the stent just makes walking awkward. I’m in a recovery house with all of these stairs and it just makes going up and down awkward. it is coming out on Sunday though

but gently caress the catheter. I cannot stand this drat thing and it doesn’t come out until Monday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

yeah that's what my friend said. it didn't help that in her hazy drugged-up yet still anxious state she kept thinking something was wrong with it and compulsively trying to tug on it :v:

BattleMaster posted:

that's super interesting that you can kinda force your brain to interpret it a different way, now i'm wondering if you could like, trick or force your brain to re-map something without surgery, just by messing with its feedback or thinking about it really hard or something...