Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

What has happened to the poor bastards now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

boredsatellite posted:

What has happened to the poor bastards now

They have a super good time in spears.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Chiwie posted:

They have a super good time in spears.

:buddy:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Just finished the Beast series and the end is kind of bonkers. With 98% of the series done. It skips ahead 100 years and quickly kills off most remaining likable characters followed by a huge "the end" sign falling to the floor.

Vangorich goes from hero to sith emperor so quickly and without character development it reminded me of the game of thrones ending.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

The Inquisition reaches truly insane levels of being petty assholes.

It's great.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Katt posted:

Just finished the Beast series and the end is kind of bonkers. With 98% of the series done. It skips ahead 100 years and quickly kills off most remaining likable characters followed by a huge "the end" sign falling to the floor.

Vangorich goes from hero to sith emperor so quickly and without character development it reminded me of the game of thrones ending.

It's real bad isn't it. If I recall correctly, it's even a plot point that he's stopped bathing properly, so you know he's evil now. :rolleyes:

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Finally getting back into the Horus Heresy after a looooooong break following Praetorian of Dorn and I went straight to Master of Mankind. I just finished and went into the Crimson King and it seems significantly slower. I love the character of Ahriman, but I'm only a few chapters in and it's a real slog. Is that just because I'm trying to follow ADB?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Speaking of ADB:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Deptfordx posted:

It's real bad isn't it. If I recall correctly, it's even a plot point that he's stopped bathing properly, so you know he's evil now. :rolleyes:

It surprised me because the series was mostly okay (for 40K stuff) up until that point. There was no reason for the time skip 100 years just to ruin everything. Like you can't just go "trust me is it's been 100 years which is more than enough time for this character to turn evil"

Pretty sure they spent more effort detailing the trajectory of every individual bolter round in the fighting than they gave Wienand to explain what happened over the past 100 years to set up Vangorich as a bad guy that the reader was now supposed to hate.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Alternative pants posted:

Finally getting back into the Horus Heresy after a looooooong break following Praetorian of Dorn and I went straight to Master of Mankind. I just finished and went into the Crimson King and it seems significantly slower. I love the character of Ahriman, but I'm only a few chapters in and it's a real slog. Is that just because I'm trying to follow ADB?

I couldn't finish it and I finished Battle for the Abyss and Nemesis. The worst sort of self-indulgent Warp nonsense. I started skimming about a third of the way in and gave up by the halfway point.

Katt posted:

It surprised me because the series was mostly okay (for 40K stuff) up until that point. There was no reason for the time skip 100 years just to ruin everything. Like you can't just go "trust me is it's been 100 years which is more than enough time for this character to turn evil"

Pretty sure they spent more effort detailing the trajectory of every individual bolter round in the fighting than they gave Wienand to explain what happened over the past 100 years to set up Vangorich as a bad guy that the reader was now supposed to hate.

Yeah, it's full-on "I have to go now my Planet needs me" (N.b. Poochie died on the way home) levels of arbritrary

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Speaking of ADB:

Any idea which one he will write? Is it Chris Wraight who is next up? Will Abnett be the one to finish the series since he started it?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Miguel Prado posted:

Any idea which one he will write? Is it Chris Wraight who is next up? Will Abnett be the one to finish the series since he started it?

In White Dwarf he said he teared up when they were discussing the name of the book he'd be writing as it was something he'd wanted to write his entire adult life, so I imagine it'll be the death of the emperor or Sanguinius.

Book 2 is The Lost and the Damned by Guy Haley.

Book 3 is The First Wall by Gav Thorpe

Plavski fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 20, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Goddamn, what I would pay for a printout of that email chain.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

... and then Abaddon is like "Pew-pew-pew, eat bolter loyalist scum".

Reply:@HH_all. But then Sanguinius is all "Nuh-uh. You're the heretic" :colbert: and then *excitedly smashes stuffed Titan Dolls together*.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I like 40k but I'm pretty sure that everything I like is just a pure accident. I like the human stories of regular people just trying to get by in this messed up world. I think space marines are boring, violent, condescending poo poo heads. I want to believe that they are written to all be just bad but I suspect that they are unironically written to be 100% straight honorable, smart, noble etc.

Even though 80% of all scenes where they interact with humans they just roll their eyes over how weak, dumb, petty and useless humans are. Despite this space marines interaction between one another is just constant dick waving and insecure frat chuds who constantly bruise one another's ego and and risk sacrificing any vital objective because no one can ever let it go and focus on the task.

Personally I think all the fight scenes are unnecessarily drawn out with into infinity with each bolt and blaster shot having to be followed in slow motion (even in text!) as it hits a helmet or pauldron and then vaporizes flesh and smashes bone and burns skin etc.

90% of all humans either die feebly without note or the humans do something really heroic and then are instantly killed off so the space marines can be left alone to have all the glory. Or in the beast books you got those really skilled humans that for no apparent reason turn on the space marines because the space marines are going to blow up the orc infested planet. The book then goes into gruesome detail of how the pathetically weak humans get dispatched with ease by the enormous space marines.

That this is all done 100% straight seems to be supported by the vast majority of the 40K community that seems regressive as gently caress. I watch some videos related to 40K and the guys were doing some Q&A and when asked what they would add to the universe they said "female space marines" and the video got downvoted to hell and the whole comment section was filled with people pointing out that female space marines would be unrealistic because the process only works on men.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Katt posted:

90% of all humans either die feebly without note or the humans do something really heroic and then are instantly killed off so the space marines can be left alone to have all the glory.

Obligatory: you've read Gaunt's Ghosts and Titanicus, right? Humans are the unquestionable greatest badasses in the setting just for not lying down and taking their beating from the rest of the universe.

But to respond to the rest of your post - yeah. :\ I enjoy space marines as pure indulgent violent fantasy, but they're so hosed up and the fact that a lot of fans seem to want to take them at face value is, ergh. Does not make me want to get into the rest of the hobby, because I'm a woman and I'd like to feel safe in nerd spaces.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Katt posted:

I like 40k but I'm pretty sure that everything I like is just a pure accident. I like the human stories of regular people just trying to get by in this messed up world. I think space marines are boring, violent, condescending poo poo heads. I want to believe that they are written to all be just bad but I suspect that they are unironically written to be 100% straight honorable, smart, noble etc.

Even though 80% of all scenes where they interact with humans they just roll their eyes over how weak, dumb, petty and useless humans are. Despite this space marines interaction between one another is just constant dick waving and insecure frat chuds who constantly bruise one another's ego and and risk sacrificing any vital objective because no one can ever let it go and focus on the task.

Personally I think all the fight scenes are unnecessarily drawn out with into infinity with each bolt and blaster shot having to be followed in slow motion (even in text!) as it hits a helmet or pauldron and then vaporizes flesh and smashes bone and burns skin etc.

90% of all humans either die feebly without note or the humans do something really heroic and then are instantly killed off so the space marines can be left alone to have all the glory. Or in the beast books you got those really skilled humans that for no apparent reason turn on the space marines because the space marines are going to blow up the orc infested planet. The book then goes into gruesome detail of how the pathetically weak humans get dispatched with ease by the enormous space marines.

That this is all done 100% straight seems to be supported by the vast majority of the 40K community that seems regressive as gently caress. I watch some videos related to 40K and the guys were doing some Q&A and when asked what they would add to the universe they said "female space marines" and the video got downvoted to hell and the whole comment section was filled with people pointing out that female space marines would be unrealistic because the process only works on men.

This post reeks of somebody who hasn't read ADB or to a lesser extent Abnett i.e. the only books worth reading.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fellblade posted:

This post reeks of somebody who hasn't read ADB or to a lesser extent Abnett i.e. the only books worth reading.

It also kinda reeks of someone who's been reading the Ultramarine omnibus like I have, as while I'm enjoying it, it's full of the Ultramarines being annoyed with how slow and awful everyone not from Ultramar is. Though the Inquisitor in book 1 was the true hero of that story, cannot believe how cool he was.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

StrixNebulosa posted:

Obligatory: you've read Gaunt's Ghosts and Titanicus, right?

No but I have read some other human centric ones that are pretty cool. In my opinion space marines serve better as background characters.

I mean Space Marines are so few in number at this point that an overwhelming majority of all conflicts are resolved by the Imperial Guard. I'd like to see more content where the Imperial Guard successfully fights chaos forces, chaos space marines etc.

It probably exists somewhere but I have never read a 40k novel where Imperial guard fights and defeats chaos space marines. I want scenes where guardsmen take down chaos dreadnoughts.

Whenever chaos shows up the guardsmen seem to almost instant go insane or get exploded with psy powers or get eaten by demons. Leaving the loyalist space marines to win the fight.

Fellblade posted:

I have read a whole ton of stuff but certainly missed a lot too.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Katt posted:

No but I have read some other human centric ones that are pretty cool. In my opinion space marines serve better as background characters.

I mean Space Marines are so few in number at this point that an overwhelming majority of all conflicts are resolved by the Imperial Guard. I'd like to see more content where the Imperial Guard successfully fights chaos forces, chaos space marines etc.

It probably exists somewhere but I have never read a 40k novel where Imperial guard fights and defeats chaos space marines. I want scenes where guardsmen take down chaos dreadnoughts.

Whenever chaos shows up the guardsmen seem to almost instant go insane or get exploded with psy powers or get eaten by demons. Leaving the loyalist space marines to win the fight.

I'm not 100% sure as it's been a while, but I do know that Gaunt's Ghosts (imperial guard) fight chaos demons and win. It's absolutely fantastic Imperial Guard being badass reading, go to it!

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Pretty much the whole point of the new ADB book is a chapter serf coming to the realization that the “good” Marines are horrifying murder monsters.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Katt posted:

I have read a whole ton of stuff but certainly missed a lot too.
You need to read Abnett, ADB and, to a lesser extent, Sandy Mitchell.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Oh god not freaking Gav Thorpe.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Katt posted:

I'd like to see more content where the Imperial Guard successfully fights chaos forces, chaos space marines etc.

These all happen at various points in the Gaunt's Ghost series. For the most part, they are fighting other chaos humans or mutants with the occasional low-level demon mixed in, but at several points in the series they do fight and kill chaos space marines and yes, even a chaos dreadnought in one instant.

Like seriously, the Gaunt's Ghost series is literally exactly what you are asking for and it's up to like book 16 now. All of them are excellent and you can get them in omnibus form to save money.

For a slightly more comedic option you should also check out the Ciaphas Cain series. He also frequently bests the forces of Chaos, including Marines and I believe a dreadnought but usually in often hilarious and/or unintentional ways. The books are all great and he is seriously probably my favorite human 40k era character.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 20, 2019

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Necropolis is still one of the best 40k books out there. Just get the Founding omnibus and you'll enjoy it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Warmaster and Anarch are two parts of the same book and together they loving own. The ending to Anarch is one of the most satisfying things I've read in 40K. It's a bit short, like all Abnett endings, but it is so good.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

Oh god not freaking Gav Thorpe.

I'd honestly be a little careful with the author-based reservations this time around.

I get that we love to hate on a number of books and authors in here, but I've honestly never encountered a BL book that was a legit waste of my money.

There are books that I skipped on most of the HH-re-reads I've done so far, but I still enjoyed reading them the first time around.

I'm about halfway done with the first Solar war book, but I'm pretty sure I'd be as excited for any follow up book by Thorpe as I'd be for one by ADB or Abnett. Hell, I'd still be stoked for any Abnett contribution to the series despite his inability to tie poo poo up in a timely fashion

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'd honestly be a little careful with the author-based reservations this time around.

I get that we love to hate on a number of books and authors in here, but I've honestly never encountered a BL book that was a legit waste of my money.

There are books that I skipped on most of the HH-re-reads I've done so far, but I still enjoyed reading them the first time around.

I'm about halfway done with the first Solar war book, but I'm pretty sure I'd be as excited for any follow up book by Thorpe as I'd be for one by ADB or Abnett. Hell, I'd still be stoked for any Abnett contribution to the series despite his inability to tie poo poo up in a timely fashion
This post reeks of somebody who hasn't read ADB or to a lesser extent Abnett C.S. Goto. i.e. the only books worth reading where everyone has a multilaser!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

This post reeks of somebody who hasn't read ADB or to a lesser extent Abnett C.S. Goto. i.e. the only books worth reading where everyone has a multilaser!

I've never read Goto but I bet you Zou was worse.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He genuinely was not.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Of course Zou wasn't worse, he was cribbing from a better author.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

He genuinely was not.

:stare: That is hard to imagine but I will tale your word for it.

Khizan posted:

Of course Zou wasn't worse, he was cribbing from a better author.

Mutilating is probably a better adjective for whatever Zou did. Who did he plagiarize?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I get that we love to hate on a number of books and authors in here, but I've honestly never encountered a BL book that was a legit waste of my money

Salamander omnibus says hi

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

After reading Mechanicus, my early Horus Heresy tour continues Fulgrim. Thoughts, mid-way through:

• Trend of 30K-era characters falling to Chaos too quickly and easily continues with Fulgrim going insane due to touching a Bad Sword. At least Kelbor-Hal hated the Emperor to begin with, even before he got infected with Grimdark MyDoom.
  • The Laer Temple being an instant Chaos Recruitment Machine is bad. McNeill should have had a viewpoint character who saw the temple end up resisting, it would have been better to have the fall to Chaos be ultimately down to a fatal flaw in the Emperor's Childrens' characters rather than "uh oh saw an evil mural, guess I'm a bad guy now".
  • On a related note, loyalist characters identify the corruption in the Legion way, way to quickly and accurately:
    Demeter: There is something Very Wrong with our Primarch and Legion.
    Tarvitz: Indeed, it seems as though the Forces of Supernatural Evil, which live in the Warp and which we know about despite the Emperor keeping it entirely secret and never explaining to us, have infiltrated the mind of our Primarch.
    Demeter: wow hosed up if true
  • Every word of dialogue in a scene that involves Fabius Bile is so cartoonish it feels out of place even in a 40K novel. Similar with Lucius, although to be fair the Horus Heresy writing team has been able to keep his characterization at an exactly consistent level of douchebag throughout the series so far.
  • All that being said, I like the idea of Slanneshi art being actually incredibly bad and ugly. Fulgrim is currently talking to a picture of himself that looks like a crazy person painted it with human poo poo, because she did.

Fallen Hamprince fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 21, 2019

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Fulgrim is a bad book even by Black Library standards, IMO. It's sad because there's the skeleton of a good story in there but McNeill is incapable of subtlety and just lurches from plot point to plot point, which makes him an incredibly bad pick to write a book about Slaanesh seducing a Legion over to the side of Chaos.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Khizan posted:

Fulgrim is a bad book

Very true.

quote:

even by Black Library standards

Jesus Christ dude, let's not say things we can't take back.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Reading up on him on 1d4chan sure raises a whole bunch of eyebrows :stare:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Reading up on him on 1d4chan sure raises a whole bunch of eyebrows :stare:
It really does. Eldar Prophecy literally killed my interest in 40k.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I loved the scene in one of the books with Perturabo where the Iron Warriors are standing around on a battlefield and the Emperor's Children show up, with their garish pinks and purples and nipple piercings and whatever other crazy things they lug around. Are Noise Marines still canon? I can't remember if it described them or not. It was a funny scene comparing the two legions and how crazy the Children are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I loved the scene in one of the books with Perturabo where the Iron Warriors are standing around on a battlefield and the Emperor's Children show up, with their garish pinks and purples and nipple piercings and whatever other crazy things they lug around. Are Noise Marines still canon? I can't remember if it described them or not. It was a funny scene comparing the two legions and how crazy the Children are.

Yeah that was great. I think they were reminiscing about warring with the emperor's children and how it would be cool to hang out again then the EC come in full Dr Rockso.