Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Firebert posted:

so it's 14 clicks instead of 17 lol

it still sucks and they can make it better

Maybe they haven't bothered because there's no need to obsessively repair every piece of gear you own on a regular basis. There's already a button to fix up the poo poo you're actually using right now, which is all that actually matters, and if you for some reason want to repair EVERYTHING it's a process that takes less than 30 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bolow posted:

Ah yes, the extremely deep customization of WoW's talents where there's effectively one set path, and 20 others that make you look like a complete goddamn idiot to everyone around you

Yeah, there is space for FFXIV to add customization but WoW's customization is a total illusion of choice.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cythereal posted:

This. Blizzard's still acting like they have in the past, but they're in the middle of a massively unpopular expansion that may - if you trust the unofficial sources - have lost half the game's population from launch and will be competing against WoW's biggest rival releasing an expansion that seems very hotly anticipated.

I basically like both games (and TOR), but to be honest if this manages to humble Blizzard's leadership and get them back on a better track, I'm all for rooting for FF14. Not that I think that's likely.

It's funny that WoW is (possibly, since numbers are unknown) at their lowest population point and surrounded by mostly negative press while FFXIV is officially at it's highest population point and surrounded by mostly good buzz.

"Let's release a content patch to our currently unpopular game while our competitor releases an expansion to their currently popular." -A very smart person

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ort posted:

One itch that FFXIV can’t scratch for me is the ability to make your character feel like your own, beyond cosmetics. There’s basically no customization that impacts gameplay, no choice you make as a player that makes your monk any different from any other monk.

This is by design of course and makes it easy for them to balance their game and cater to people less familiar with MMOs, but that has always been the most core part of MMOs I’ve enjoyed before. Wonder if they’ll ever introduce anything like that.

I feel like part of this is because you can't change class without making a new character in WoW. So to cater to different types of players they make each class have like a DPS spec, maybe a Tank Spec, etc.

FFXIV, since one character can do everything, doesn't need this.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Isn't FFXVI supposed to be a single player game, anyway? Why would it being hinted at (or even being released) mean XIV was going to stop getting updates?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Krabboss posted:

"It's good when all classes play the same way."

MCH was a badly designed this expansion because they were awkard to play before level 70, basically. They were already very fun to play at 70, though.

Once again you are just straight up lying.

MCH wasn't fun sub-70 and it wasn't fun at 70 either. Stop with this revisionist bullshit.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

MCH wasn't fun sub-70 and it wasn't fun at 70 either. Stop with this revisionist bullshit.

Some of us found it fun at 70 :shrug:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

imagine getting upset at people for wishing there was a "repair all gear" button instead of "repair a specific subsection of gear" button

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Olesh posted:

Maybe they haven't bothered because there's no need to obsessively repair every piece of gear you own on a regular basis. There's already a button to fix up the poo poo you're actually using right now, which is all that actually matters, and if you for some reason want to repair EVERYTHING it's a process that takes less than 30 seconds.
Nice goalpost moving

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

It's funny that WoW is (possibly, since numbers are unknown) at their lowest population point and surrounded by mostly negative press while FFXIV is officially at it's highest population point and surrounded by mostly good buzz.

"Let's release a content patch to our currently unpopular game while our competitor releases an expansion to their currently popular." -A very smart person

8.0 - august 13
8.1 - december 11
8.1.5 - march 12
8.2 - june 25

Obviously they always release patches near FFXIV expansions (you can check major patch dates vs earlier expansions) but its not like they delayed or moved forward the patch for this, its their normal release schedule. Should they just not release game updates?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

imagine reading mordiceius posts

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Infidel Castro posted:

XI got updates up until 2015 and they would probably still be expanding it if that style of MMO wasn't horribly outdated. Realistically XIV is only 7 years old, feels like a modern MMO, and as long as people are subscribing they'll keep adding content.

Actually XI is still getting updates.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/55525?_ga=2.133190990.1155679271.1560900445-87324258.1560900445

This is the lastest update, earlier this month. Which added a new fight and job adjustments. It's not getting any major expansions from the looks of it, but there's still gradually new stuff being added.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kaubocks posted:

imagine getting upset at people for wishing there was a "repair all gear" button instead of "repair a specific subsection of gear" button

If there’s a hill, someone on the internet is willing to die on it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

imagine reading mordiceius posts

Reading bad posts is how I feel alive.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Dr Pepper posted:

Actually XI is still getting updates.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/55525?_ga=2.133190990.1155679271.1560900445-87324258.1560900445

This is the lastest update, earlier this month. Which added a new fight and job adjustments. It's not getting any major expansions from the looks of it, but there's still gradually new stuff being added.

IIRC they hinted at a major change/update coming in the future for the 20th anniversary of the game, which would be in 2023 I think? So the game will be here until at least then, at which point it's either getting another expansion or they're finally releasing the mobile version of the game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah, I just think there's a difference between "I find this class fun to play" and "this class is not broken and should not be changed."

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, I just think there's a difference between "I find this class fun to play" and "this class is not broken and should not be changed."

Mordiceius posted:

MCH wasn't fun sub-70 and it wasn't fun at 70 either.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Allow me to rephrase that. MCH was a broken, bad class sub-70. It was broken, bad class at 70.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Allow me to rephrase that. MCH was a broken, bad class sub-70. It was broken, bad class at 70.

The only annoying bits of MCH at 70 was Flamethrower and not having WF manual detonate. Everything else was an elegant clockwork rotation running on 15/30/60/120s timers and that's gone in ShB and I'm gonna miss it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ibblebibble posted:

The only annoying bits of MCH at 70 was Flamethrower and not having WF manual detonate. Everything else was an elegant clockwork rotation running on 15/30/60/120s timers and that's gone in ShB and I'm gonna miss it.

Level 70 MCH rotations made it feel way more developed and designed than poo poo like DRK or MNK. Or BRD.

And I hate playing it but It's not busted or anything it's just not for me.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Thats nice, but not realistic if you have high ping, especially since (as i understand) a very large portion of the damage mchs do is during overheat and then after it for a period they are basically throwing rocks. Missing anything in the period is a serious problem and while its not a design failing, It's also a reasonable thing to complain about.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I despise SB mch for destroying a class that I really liked with dumb half baked mechanics but that doesn't mean I need to make sure anyone who likes it dies by my hand

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Bring back the cast bar

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Zoig posted:

Thats nice, but not realistic if you have high ping, especially since (as i understand) a very large portion of the damage mchs do is during overheat and then after it for a period they are basically throwing rocks. Missing anything in the period is a serious problem and while its not a design failing, It's also a reasonable thing to complain about.

I raided with MCH on 250ms ping for a year and found it fine when I ran a high-ping rotation :shrug:

Dryzen posted:

Bring back the cast bar

I'm glad the cast bar is dead.

But now it's super dead.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
They should add a cast bar to every ability, ranged and melee.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

homeless snail posted:

Nice goalpost moving

I feel like there's a plenty of goalpost moving to go around in this slapfight, though.

and I'd know, I'm a dipshit connoisseur when it comes to slapfights, being a dumb idiot champion of them myself.

Tbh I've never felt the need to do anything more than right click, repair, slap repair all, and go about my business. Repairing everything in your inventory seems like a nightmare on the face of it.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Tbh I've never felt the need to do anything more than right click, repair, slap repair all, and go about my business. Repairing everything in your inventory seems like a nightmare on the face of it.

:same:

i repair the set i see with green bars when i see them

but i can also repair anything i want at any time :smugdog:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

UHD posted:

but i can also repair anything i want at any time :smugdog:

Anytime anywhere repairing on the cheap: the real benefits to omnicrafting.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Sometimes I think about how soon I'll be able to master the art of knife gun and get excited about video games.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

God dammit. The day I get off my rear end and go to transfer is the day Excal gets classified as congested. Of course.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I was writing a joke here referencing an old post of yours about Eureka, instead making it about how MCH has been in various states of the game. But instead I'm just leaving this message and saying that just because you don't have fun with it does not make it true for everyone.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I made some headway clearing stuff out of my retainer inventories and my own this week in preparation for ShB. But i have no idea what to do with the huge piles of materia i have from running EXDR over and over previously

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dryzen posted:

I despise SB mch for destroying a class that I really liked with dumb half baked mechanics but that doesn't mean I need to make sure anyone who likes it dies by my hand
I never played HW MCH, what did you like about it?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

FactsAreUseless posted:

For me, I just liked the oomph of cast times. It's a weird feeling that's hard to describe, but knowing my cast is more powerful because of a small sacrifice was satisfying.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Yeah, same. Before I got used to it, the lack of cast times (coming from only ever playing casters in MMOs) made the attacks feel like they lacked any sort of weight. I also find it much easier to get into the rhythm of a rotation with a cast bar-- when everything's instant it feels more.. I dunno, floaty? It's easier to lose track of what I'm doing and accidentally triple weave my OGCDs or something.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cabbit posted:

Yeah, same. Before I got used to it, the lack of cast times (coming from only ever playing casters in MMOs) made the attacks feel like they lacked any sort of weight. I also find it much easier to get into the rhythm of a rotation with a cast bar-- when everything's instant it feels more.. I dunno, floaty? It's easier to lose track of what I'm doing and accidentally triple weave my OGCDs or something.

I feel the same. I remember farming light for the MCH anime weapon in HW, and the rhythm was much easier to get into for those fights when you had the cast time. being able to remove it with ammo was a fun dynamic, really.

But I'm really looking forward to the new, more Edgar-like version.

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 19, 2019

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

FactsAreUseless posted:

You got to feel like you were cheating when you got the procs and skipped the cast time. I can't say I loved the cast times but there was a lot of though that went into them for MCH. Also the lead shot animation was silly.

Can't say I miss it but I did like it more than SB's.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

On top of all of that, it felt really satisfying to get good movement in between the casting. The cast bar was much shorter than regular casters matching the GCD. You also had the option of dropping gauss barrel if you had a lot of moving to do and just all of that weaving felt really dynamic, even if for things like raids it became routine.

It really felt like the casting was designed for mch and then slapped on to bard at the time. I still can't imagine playing that class with empryeal arrow having a cast time

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

yeah as someone who didn't start playing until stormblood i hear a lot about how people liked heavensward mch, but that they also gave cast bars to bard for no reason which everyone hated. so when removing cast bars from bards in sb they took them away from mch too and gave them a total rework because ??? which now the other end wasn't happy about

that's my understanding anyway. i like current mch but i'd like to have seen what hw mch looked like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah I don't know about HW MCH but having q cast bar in Heavensward wasn't fun at all.