Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Anyone over the age of 12 playing any kind of Pokemon in any way is a loving weirdo. Pokemon is the Star Trek of anime.

that's kind of redundant though anyone playing any kind of anime game is a weirdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Interestingly this is the schadenfreude regarding whatever latest bullshit is going on. Apparently in the newest game you can't import all the old Pokemon from prior games, which is riling fans the gently caress up. This is the last straw in over a decade of apparently poor decisions Game Freak has made-- poor coding, discarding features from one game to the next, subpar graphics, etc. --and the hardcore community will not have it no sir.

It never once occurred to them that everything about Pokemon is designed against the hardcore community and has been this entire time. These are nerds who have gotten so used to franchises catering to their increasing manchild absurdity that it never once occurred to them that maybe Pokemon is just a product and under no obligation to care about them. Maybe these games really are just "baby's first RPG" for 12 year-olds and casual nostalgics, and while Nintendo is happy to take your money if you want to farm EVs and IVs from one generation to the next that's not how these products are designed or meant to be played. For gently caress's sake these games are still designed that you can steamroll every Gym and Elite Four member with your starter.

"Oh but Detective Pikachu and Pokemon Go and Let's Go Evee..."

Those are for 25-35 year-old yuppies who remember Pokemon as children, just spat out their first crotch-goblin, to get them to keep some Pokemon poo poo around the house so when little Sam and Suzy are older they're primed to recognize it as a brand. The products themselves are deliberately stripped-down, unchallenging piddle that a new parent could conceivably pop on a few times in a sleep-deprived haze and still win a round or two. They're not a celebration of you, the 30-something who is on Generation 8 and still hasn't picked up on the fact that Pokemon doesn't and never did care about you playing past the age when you were supposed to start having sex.

lol that's kind of awesome that there are idiot weabos crying over their children's video game not having photorealistic dongs or whatever

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

Interestingly this is the schadenfreude regarding whatever latest bullshit is going on. Apparently in the newest game you can't import all the old Pokemon from prior games, which is riling fans the gently caress up. This is the last straw in over a decade of apparently poor decisions Game Freak has made-- poor coding, discarding features from one game to the next, subpar graphics, etc. --and the hardcore community will not have it no sir.

It never once occurred to them that everything about Pokemon is designed against the hardcore community and has been this entire time. These are nerds who have gotten so used to franchises catering to their increasing manchild absurdity that it never once occurred to them that maybe Pokemon is just a product and under no obligation to care about them. Maybe these games really are just "baby's first RPG" for 12 year-olds and casual nostalgics, and while Nintendo is happy to take your money if you want to farm EVs and IVs from one generation to the next that's not how these products are designed or meant to be played. For gently caress's sake these games are still designed that you can steamroll every Gym and Elite Four member with your starter.

Those are for 25-35 year-old yuppies who remember Pokemon as children, just spat out their first crotch-goblin, to get them to keep some Pokemon poo poo around the house so when little Sam and Suzy are older they're primed to recognize it as a brand. The products themselves are deliberately stripped-down, unchallenging piddle that a new parent could conceivably pop on a few times in a sleep-deprived haze and still win a round or two. They're not a celebration of you, the 30-something who is on Generation 8 and still hasn't picked up on the fact that Pokemon doesn't and never did care about you playing past the age when you were supposed to start having sex.

why do they need to make new pokemon or new pokemon games? just run Pokemon Gold through a randomizer and bam you got a new pokemon game.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Maybe the answer for threatening to break up with The Thing They Like is "We were dating?"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rutibex posted:

why do they need to make new pokemon or new pokemon games? just run Pokemon Gold through a randomizer and bam you got a new pokemon game.

Ew. Gold was really bad.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mind the walrus posted:

this may be the case in america but in japan they have entire fashion lines where they hire world-famous designers to make outrageously priced clothes that are barely tangentially themed on such-and-such pokemon. life-long consumer retention is majorly a thing there

e: and pokemon is just the tip of the iceberg. japanese corpos have extensive experience in this field. all their IPs that existed before you or i were born, they're still going and all the aging boomers and even the ancient great grandparents are still buying doraemon products. the mouse? poo poo, disney has wet dreams about what japan pulls off on a daily basis. it's very ozymandias. pokemon will outlive us all

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 18, 2019

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Brand retention from using the name on expensive fashion isn't the same as "buys, plays, and expects much from mainline Pokemon games."

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Because they want money but need to add a little bit of new stuff in order to convince people that they're not just buying the same thing again

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Rutibex posted:

nah, if your going to pirate the games anyway you can get a cheap Android box + two bluetooth controllers to emulate PS1 for cheaper than a PS1 classic. and the android box will emulate other stuff without modding

They are 30-40 bux cuz no one wants em and piss easy to mod.
E- you can also use just about any USB and bluetooth control via retro arch

ChazTurbo fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 18, 2019

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I just picked up this game on sale so sorry for the Old rear end Hot Take, but Darkest Dungeon got repetitive real fast and it's not really giving me any incentive to keep progressing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's about right. I had a lot of fun until I found myself with a bunch of Level 3-4 parties and nothing about the exploration/combat had evolved from the beginning, then I put it down and 100% forgot about it until you posted.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Yup that's exactly where I'm at. gently caress grinding for 30 minutes to get enough resources to set yourself up for another 30 minute grind plus a couple marginal stat improvements for one of your characters who might die and lose it all.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Plus I kept finding myself saying "I'll work through this adventure with a party I don't really like so I can play as the fun comp next time" and eventually realized there was no fun comp.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
you just don't "get" it. the fun is the slow, banal suffering

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If there is one game I don't get it's Darkest Dungeon. I bought it the day it came out because it sounded really cool and there wasn't a single thing I liked about. The gameplay just felt totally boring and I don't like the art either.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

ChazTurbo posted:

They are 30-40 bux cuz no one wants em and piss easy to mod.
E- you can also use just about any USB and bluetooth control via retro arch

name your USB memory stick "SONY" and it boots off it, loving lol.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

name your USB memory stick "SONY" and it boots off it, loving lol.

this is about as hard as it was to mod an original PS1

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

veni veni veni posted:

If there is one game I don't get it's Darkest Dungeon. I bought it the day it came out because it sounded really cool and there wasn't a single thing I liked about. The gameplay just felt totally boring and I don't like the art either.

The art is a direct take on Mike Mignola's Hellboy. It's very distinctive and works well for its medium. The exact gameplay mechanics of Darkest Dungeon are probably contentious, but the game is undoubtedly carried by its excellent atmosphere, of which the voice acting and artwork contribute a lot.

I still have a save file somewhere with a large pile of maxed out guys, but I honestly couldn't be bothered finishing the game. Too much grind.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

veni veni veni posted:

God I am so with you, I really thought that game was for me but nope, it just felt so slow

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Darkest Dungeons was a huge letdown. If I want to slam my dick in a drawer, I'll just do it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I remember darkest dungeon being kinda fun but then again I'd be surprised if my playtime is over two hours

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I really enjoy Wizardry 1 and the DS game The Dark Spire, but any other game that says its dungeon crawling bores me. I tried to get into Legend of Grimrock but I hate the combat. When I first heard about Darkest Dungeon it sounded cool but I watched someone play it. Its not really dungeon crawling even if its cribs off of the edge of town type mechanics.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Guys I started playing Doom 2016 and sweet poo poo this is fun!

I'm really going out on a limb with this unpopular opinion.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The cool modern-day elements are what makes the Assassin Creed franchise great.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Guys I started playing Doom 2016 and sweet poo poo this is fun!

I'm really going out on a limb with this unpopular opinion.

I almost quit playing the first time since the enemies with shields were so annoying and so un-Doom like.

Luckily they stop showing up after the first section. I don't know what they were thinking putting them in in the first place.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Oldstench posted:

Darkest Dungeons was a huge letdown. If I want to slam my dick in a drawer, I'll just do it.
Menu Selection Animation Battlers are like simulations of playing actual games.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Vakal posted:

I almost quit playing the first time since the enemies with shields were so annoying and so un-Doom like.

Luckily they stop showing up after the first section. I don't know what they were thinking putting them in in the first place.

You know I didn't consider that but you're absolutely right, although they didn't annoy me that much.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

IIRC I chose between buying Darkest Dungeon and Slay the Spire, and it sounds like I chose wisely (Slay the Spire owns)

Vakal posted:

Hollow Knight is really bad for this. The first hour or so is so boring that I actually stopped playing and didn't start it again for like, 6 months.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

darkest dungeon looked amazingly unfun and tedious in a bad way and i enjoy wizardry and etrian odyssey and that poo poo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Darkest Dungeon is one of those games where you figure out the formula 10% through but the game expects you to put in 100 more hours of just repeating the same cycle for some reason.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

didn’t really read this but lol at using the term yuppie in 2019 you loving goober

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I really enjoy Wizardry 1 and the DS game The Dark Spire, but any other game that says its dungeon crawling bores me. I tried to get into Legend of Grimrock but I hate the combat. When I first heard about Darkest Dungeon it sounded cool but I watched someone play it. Its not really dungeon crawling even if its cribs off of the edge of town type mechanics.
I tried Grimrock 1 and 2 and the combat is such a drag. I don't know what I expected but the "early game grind" is the antithesis of fun.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Hollow Knight is really bad for this. The first hour or so is so boring that I actually stopped playing and didn't start it again for like, 6 months.
I thought it was just me. Hollow Knight sucks a serious chode with how long it takes to upgrade your movement/combat options to the baseline of what you'd expect from a Metroidvania. It gets better though.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Are they still trying to carry forward some sort-of plotline, or did they finally give up and just embrace it being a Total Recall-clone where poor folk go on "vacation" to pretend they were some badass hero in a past life?

Rock My Socks! posted:

didn’t really read this but lol at using the term yuppie in 2019 you loving goober
:discourse:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The one positive thing about how slow Hollow Knight starts is it made me take in how gosh-darned pretty the game looked, so there is that I guess.

steinrokkan posted:

Darkest Dungeon is one of those games where you figure out the formula 10% through but the game expects you to put in 100 more hours of just repeating the same cycle for some reason.

Eh, Slay the Spire's "advanced" strategies are pretty obvious after about an hour or so's worth of runs, but somehow it's still engaging after a few dozen hours.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Vakal posted:

I don't remember them feeling that out of place/annoying, but I basically spent my teenage years playing Halo and those guys are definitely inspired by the Jackals there (right down to the hole in the shield leaves their arm and head exposed for no reason).

IIRC the only other enemies in that area are the zombies, do I guess the shield guys are supposed to remind you that you're supposed to strafe and jump around in this game.

DOOM owns.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vakal posted:

It teaches you to use more grenades and explosives in general, a good and valuable lesson

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rock My Socks! posted:

Huh? Is yuppie an old person word now? I still hear it from time to time but admittedly not from teenagers or whatever

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i always thought they were super cool but i really only played 4 and origins where they're pretty unobtrusive if you don't like them

e: maybe i should play others, i think i have a few ps4 ones from pre-origins sitting around somewhere

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I remember darkest dungeon being kinda fun but then again I'd be surprised if my playtime is over two hours

my playtime is roughly the same. i cleared the tutorial dungeon and my entire team was injured so they couldn't be deployed. so i hired a new crew, and did the first area, and after that run they were injured so they couldn't be deployed. so i hired a new crew and did the first area again, and they were injured so they couldn't be deployed. but the first team was healed up by then so i could use them to do the only place they were really strong enough to do, which was the first area.

at that point i said "i see." and uninstalled it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

i always thought they were super cool but i really only played 4 and origins where they're pretty unobtrusive if you don't like them

e: maybe i should play others, i think i have a few ps4 ones from pre-origins sitting around somewhere

Modern series tend to age much more poorly than old game series, I think because there's so much more "we specifically fixed this thing that people hated in the last game."

It's much easier to play Super Mario World, then go and enjoy SMB1, say, than it is to play the newest rear end Creed game and then go and try to enjoy the first few, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

my playtime is roughly the same. i cleared the tutorial dungeon and my entire team was injured so they couldn't be deployed. so i hired a new crew, and did the first area, and after that run they were injured so they couldn't be deployed. so i hired a new crew and did the first area again, and they were injured so they couldn't be deployed. but the first team was healed up by then so i could use them to do the only place they were really strong enough to do, which was the first area.

at that point i said "i see." and uninstalled it

Yeah, that sounds rough, but it also kind of makes me want a fantasy version of Jagged Alliance 1/2 where you have to manage a team of mercenaries heroes and look after their contracts, gear and medical costs.