Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015

Angry_Ed posted:

I mean that could've just been the Space Madness everyone was gradually suffering from until McCoy (and Scotty) found out you could make mixed drinks with Klingon Nerve Gas and cure it.

Also I thought the POV shot of Chekov during his freakout being a fisheye lens was a nice touch to get the idea of "this area of space is destroying our brains" across with what they had to work with.

Eh, maybe. Everyone else who was infected blew up out of nowhere, though.

I did notice some more ambitious camera work in season 3, there was a few shots like that in Is There No Truth In Beauty and it threw me for a loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
News update and summary for anyone not interested in reading:

:siren: NERDROTIC, MIDNIGHT'S EDGE, BLOWN THE gently caress OUT :siren:

Alex Kurtzman is still working as the Kevin Fegie(Feige? Fiege?) of Star Trek despite rumors of his ouster and here's some fun information.

ON PICARD

- Stewart was in the writer's room.
- There's a lot of satisfaction with the actors, many of whom were given "challenging" things to do.

DISCOVERY/SECTION 31

- In terms of writing, they know where they want to go - and they're on episode 5 of Discovery right now.
- Section 31 will begin shooting once Season 3 of DISCO is ended.
- Kurtzman and CBS aren't expecting "Star Wars" numbers or an instant fanbase of a hundred million, expecting a slower growth, Disco and the cartoon are built to help grow the fanbase, because he feels more kids get into Star Trek and roll with it for life than adults do.
- claiming that there's proof that Trek's fanbase is growing anyway, and that most of the fanbase is mollified

LOWER DECKS
- Mike's approach is to make the episodes about people being shlubs on an enterprise - while crazy Trek poo poo happens in the background, moronic stupid poo poo on a small scale is in the foreground. kids can enjoy it. adults will enjoy it more.

NICKELODEON SHOW

- No clue, he mostly just says a bunch of buzzwords and drops a few names of recent popular netflix animation products and poo poo

SHORT TREKS

- Two more coming, they will be animated
- Michael Giacchino is doing one(????)

PIKE SHOW
- He basically says "yep, the response to that was something to think about, for sure, we are probably gonna do it."

SUMMARY: The people who claimed the picard, section 31, etc shows are blowing up and it's a nightmare hellscape of cancellations and firings do not seem to be stopping CBS from doing more trek projects.

summaries here

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
that's too much loving trek does cbs not have anything else to do

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That Nickelodeon show is going to be so loving bad

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

cheetah7071 posted:

that's too much loving trek does cbs not have anything else to do

Its either that or more Good Wife spinoffs.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

ehh if they give it half the attention they gave Avatar it will be good enough

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Nothing is going to stop those youtube channels from doing their Two Minutes of Hate since it's now a proven money maker.

None of that was particularly reassuring unless you're an investor. (Mollified? I hope that was actually used in an internal memo or something) Stewart's been in the writing room before and his main priorities were for the captain to do more fighting and loving. Kurtzman's track record legendarily sucks and it's hilarious that he's saying they're not expecting "Star Wars numbers" after CBS spent how many millions an episode on STD? (unless it's true CBS didn't pay for it?) Lower Decks might be ok if it's a different creative team but funnily it sounds kind of like a knock off of The Orville.

e: How good would a Pike show really be without the juxtaposition of all the lovely STD characters, and who would be writing it? I like Anson Mount too but I gave up on Hell on Wheels all the same. Section 31 show still sounds like a write off on principal.

Like I get that the reactionaries aren't interested in reality but lol if you take CBS's marketing at face value either. There will probably be a really interesting tell all book about this era in the franchise's production history in a decade.

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 18, 2019

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Yeah when I saw Stewart was an EP and writer I was like lol, Nemesis 2.0 incoming.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Thom12255 posted:

Yeah when I saw Stewart was an EP and writer I was like lol, Nemesis 2.0 incoming.

the dune buggy episode is gonna be the "ozymandias" of picard just u wait

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Picard is a show about Picard and his sentient talking dune buggy driving around and protecting the innocent from local crime lords and corrupt small town cops

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The dune buggy is also wearing a catsuit

This is important

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
to be fair Patrick Stewart is getting old enough that he may no longer even be physically up for "more fighting and loving"

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

to be fair Patrick Stewart is getting old enough that he may no longer even be physically up for "more fighting and loving"
Patrick Stewart will always be up for loving, how dare you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
But more Pike! :toot:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Star Trek Pikard should be a vehicle for Picard and the Doctor going around the Federation sampling intergalactic art and culture.

They can call it "Two Bald Men in Space".

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Fornax Disaster posted:

Did starfleet actually name a ship after Sir John Franklin only to have it disappear with all hands in deep space?

Just wait until you hear about the USS Roanoke, bud.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I cannot wait for Star Trek: Orville

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Neelix impersonating a Klingon is both amazing and terrifying.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Nodosaur posted:

Neelix impersonating a Klingon is both amazing and terrifying.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

That's not necessary. The ship will clean itself.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

sure'd be nice to talk about these characters without being shut down like that every time

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Nodosaur posted:

sure'd be nice to talk about these characters without being shut down like that every time

impose your will. post your deep neelix thoughts

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Nodosaur posted:

I'm just joking around. Don't be such a Neelix.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I actually don't mind Neelix. Most of the time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

sorry. It just doesn't seem like one can talk positively about Voyager without people trying to swerve it hard into negativity.

I know the show has serious problems. I was just watching the Killing Game and thought his little subplot with the Klingons was entertaining.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I didn't like Neelix at first, I thought he was WAY too selfish and his only point was to be a tour guide for the Delta Quadrant. Once he got out of his jealousy over other men having the audacity to do nice things for Kes, and we went past the Nekrit Expanse he got way way better as a character.
I still wish that the show would make an effort to have him get even slightly better at cooking though. You'd think someone on the ship would have enough of being terrified to eat lunch at some point.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I wonder how much better Neelix would have been had they not gone with the bizarre "aliens = emotional / Starfleet = always stoic and emotionless" attitude the actors were forced to follow, and so he didn't seem so over the top?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Voyager is fine and sometimes quite good

It being bad is mostly meta commentary about the missed opportunity of it not being great

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

The Bloop posted:

Voyager is fine and sometimes quite good

It being bad is mostly meta commentary about the missed opportunity of it not being great

it is booooooooooriiiing

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Anyway I really liked the Hirogen arc. It was a good storyline with one of Voyager's better antagonists, we got a decent Species 8472 episode out of it, and characters like Harry got to stand out.

I know this is going to be a minority opinion, but I like Harry Kim - or rather, the idea of him. He's the Bumblebee of Star Trek and ultimately a better Wesley-style character than Wesley himself. It's unfortunate that Rick Berman's animosity for Garret Wang kept his character from advancing in a meaningful way. But when he gets a focus episode, his actor does great things with it.

Garret Wang is also an incredibly attractive man, also.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Hirogen were cool and scary when they first showed up

Then they got short because :effort: I suppose

Like the Borg went from one cube vs all of Starfleet, twice, to one middle of the line ship vs 30 cubes

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not sure what you're referring to. A single Hirogen is treated like a threat through their entire arc and they succeed in taking over the entire ship in their grand finale.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Voyager isn't that bad it's just tired and staid.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's really weird because you would think that a Starfleet Academy show aka Space Hogwarts would be a no brainer for a Star Trek kids show and come together pretty easily.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 19, 2019

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's really weird because you would think that a Starfleet Academy show aka Space Hogwarts would be a no brainer for a Star Trek kids show and come together pretty easily.

The summary given by Kurtzman is so drat stupid; a group of teens find a derelict starfleet ship and decide to use it for their own adventures.

It’s gonna be so drat bad :cripes:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The summary given by Kurtzman is so drat stupid; a group of teens find a derelict starfleet ship and decide to use it for their own adventures.

It’s gonna be so drat bad :cripes:

Isn't that the plot summary of the cancelled 90's animated show?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've seen kids shows with worse premises that have turned out alright.

It wholly depends on who they get to run the show and write it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Starfleet Academy: better or worse than Stargate Infinity?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pick posted:

Voyager isn't that bad it's just tired and staid.

That’s exactly what’s that bad about Voyager (and Enterprise to an even greater extent). With sci-fi, bad is easy to deal with, but boring is unforgivable. The whole point is to entertain and spur the imagination. If it doesn’t do those things, who cares? This is why Lexx is a better show than Voyager despite being objectively stupid as gently caress, cringeworthy, schizophrenic, and when it’s all over leaving one with the sense that the showrunner has been hammering nails into one’s head for four seasons. It devoted itself to being hosed up weird and beholden to nothing, especially not good taste or common sense.

There’s a reason the mid-show attempt to solve Voyager’s problems was “uhhhhhhhhh get a really hot girl in a cat suit and make her the secondary lead for the rest of the show”, and it’s that Voyager wasn’t consistently entertaining or imaginatively engaging. Broads with tight clothes, on the other hand, can always be counted upon to entertain someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, the whole premise of Voyager is kind of like the anthesis of Star Trek and having the first lady captain have the job of trying to go home instead of seeing what's out there is kinda bullshit.