Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

The first ten seconds of that clip has more quality animation than all of season 2 put together so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Congratulations to Yusuke Murata for managing to get a bit of his horniness into this picture.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Congratulations to Yusuke Murata for managing to get a bit of his horniness into this picture.

You're right, Spider-Ham is pretty hot.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Spider-Ham should have been drawn in ONE style.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dr Subterfuge posted:

You're right, Spider-Noir is pretty tall, dark, mysterious, and animated with screen tones.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

and voiced by Nicholas Cage

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Peni you don't have sticky powers stop that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Caidin posted:

Peni you don't have sticky powers stop that.

She doesn't, but SP//dr does. She's not sticking to it, but merely allowing it to stick to her.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Daken? Or a different son?

What, you don't know about Jimmy Hudson? You know, the new Wolverine? No not that one, the other one that showed up after Wolverine died? No not that death, the one before. Jimmy Hudson, aka Wolverine, son of Wolverine? No?

Yeah dunno how that particular character survived.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Had to look that up, as Logan was pretty chummy with Heather Hudson back in the day. Turns out it's no relation. :/

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Bleck posted:

how do they know to pause on those frames if they didn't look weird in motion

People who are into animation often do frame by frame analysis to get pointers. Also if you know to look for them you can notice them pretty easily. Just watch some Road Runner cartoons and you see some buck wild poo poo that doesn't look like it should work but does. Spiderverse (blessed be) used them a lot rather than using motion blurring and add to the comic look and the rigging for that is stunning.

https://twitter.com/tommmoore/status/1135897650623078400

This is actually a decent break down of the Saitama/Genos sparring match. Starts a bit hokey but once he gets into the nitty gritty of talking about technique it's really cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfKf7pZweA0

Popo fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 9, 2019

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Popo posted:

People who are into animation often do frame by frame analysis to get pointers. Also if you know to look for them you can notice them pretty easily. Just watch some Road Runner cartoons and you see some buck wild poo poo that doesn't look like it should work but does. Spiderverse (blessed be) used them a lot rather than using motion blurring and add to the comic look and the rigging for that is stunning.

I'm not saying it doesn't look good in general - I'm saying that sometimes people have bad smear frames that look bad in motion, and people try to defend them by saying that "they're smear frames so they look fine if you don't pause on them," even though it still looks bad in motion

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Oh, I get you now. I just thought you were asking how people know how to spot them. That makes a lot more sense.

Yeah, smears are a tricky thing to pull off. They really jar when they're used as a crutch to get past complicated moves rather than to add to the motion.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
My favorite example of well-executed smear frames is in the LEGO movie and its spinoffs/sequels; even though the movies are entirely CGI they still wanted to keep it as faithful to the source blocks as possible so all the animation smears are done using combinations of different LEGO bricks:
https://twitter.com/ChrisHallbeck/status/1005600321459060736

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Yeah every single one of those characters is sexy, including the two guys.
Also spider-rorshake is awesome!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
When will there be new eps?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bleck posted:

I'm not saying it doesn't look good in general - I'm saying that sometimes people have bad smear frames that look bad in motion, and people try to defend them by saying that "they're smear frames so they look fine if you don't pause on them," even though it still looks bad in motion

Well when you put it like that then yeah I think we're on the same page.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Waltzing Along posted:

When will there be new eps?

Today. And it was great.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

serious gaylord posted:

Today. And it was great.
puri puri prisoner is my problematic fave

e: i keep confusing "Marshal Gorilla" and Marshall Banana. god speed, you old pedo.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 12, 2019

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
need a gif of Puri Puri Prisoner getting a call and his rear end vibrates because he's keeping the phone in his rear end

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

King has such a hero's heart.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xarbala posted:

My favorite 'boy the entire intent of this post just [b]completely[\b] went over your head' post is the one where the guy complains about not understanding why girls only go for assholes since he doesn't even like pegging and it just clears everyone else's head like a pole vaulter.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xarbala posted:

Every time someone posts about color theory in the Internet is extremely painful.

I'm thinking CSI Internet Color Theorists:

Agent Jessica: "Oh my god, look at that blood... what happened here? What kind of monster did this?"
Agent Bobson: "Well, you see, I think it's unfair to say whoever did this is a monster. The color red indicates a lot of positivity."
Agent Bobson: "We can judge from the pink of the brain on the wall against that powerful red that the designer knew just how to combine adjacent colors. Look up analogous colors, Agent Jessica! Have fun learning something!"

SCENE: AN ART GALLERY WITH BLUE WALLS AND A GREEN CARPET, BLOOD SPLATTERED EVERYWHERE

Agent Bobson: "Ugh, we're dealing with a Triadic, in RGB on top of that. Hate those deranged lunatics."

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 12, 2019

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Hellsau posted:

King has such a hero's heart.
he got it from a manga

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Best ep of the season?

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

It did seem better in how it focused more on Saitama's ennui and that there weren't many action scenes for them abruptly cut away from so that it happens off-screen
that same dumb trick they've been exploiting all season definitely works better when it's Saitama just casually chumping Garou like some mildly annoying gnat

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Elentor posted:

Every time someone posts about color theory in the Internet is extremely painful.

I'm thinking CSI Internet Color Theorists:

Agent Jessica: "Oh my god, look at that blood... what happened here? What kind of monster did this?"
Agent Bobson: "Well, you see, I think it's unfair to say whoever did this is a monster. The color red indicates a lot of positivity."
Agent Bobson: "We can judge from the pink of the brain on the wall against that powerful red that the designer knew just how to combine adjacent colors. Look up analogous colors, Agent Jessica! Have fun learning something!"

SCENE: AN ART GALLERY WITH BLUE WALLS AND A GREEN CARPET, BLOOD SPLATTERED EVERYWHERE

Agent Bobson: "Ugh, we're dealing with a Triadic, in RGB on top of that. Hate those deranged lunatics."

Agent Carlton: haha guys have you ever noticed blue and orange together is everywhere haha you'll never unsee it haha
Sgt. Jones: Children died here.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, drat, not only is the animation wonky, they've done weird stuff to all the dialogue and pacing of that as well. Just looking at episode 8.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, drat, not only is the animation wonky, they've done weird stuff to all the dialogue and pacing of that as well. Just looking at episode 8.

They've been making a lot of random edits, mainly for the sake of removing things that would be hard to animate. They didn't even try to show Drive Knight's transformation sequence.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's real dang obvious if you know to look for it and it makes me sad, because there's evidence that the team could do better if they had actually had time on this.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Maxwell Adams posted:

They've been making a lot of random edits, mainly for the sake of removing things that would be hard to animate. They didn't even try to show Drive Knight's transformation sequence.

I get it, it just seems weird for the dialogue.

Also, I found a couple colored chapters and it looks good IMO.

https://mangadex.org/title/38115/one-punch-man-fan-colored

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
At this point, I just want to see the scene where Saitama orders french fries. It should be impossible for them to mess that up.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Maxwell Adams posted:

At this point, I just want to see the scene where Saitama orders french fries. It should be impossible for them to mess that up.

for my part, those are the kind of scenes I'm here for anyway, the action is fun but it's the slice of life I like best

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Last 2 episodes have been 22 minutes of nothing, with some pretty weird pacing and animation that goes from lazy to awkward. This was one of the most interesting anime around in its first season, why is it kind of poo poo right now? Is it the studio or is the manga not that brilliant? I'm confused here.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Kawabata posted:

Last 2 episodes have been 22 minutes of nothing, with some pretty weird pacing and animation that goes from lazy to awkward. This was one of the most interesting anime around in its first season, why is it kind of poo poo right now? Is it the studio or is the manga not that brilliant? I'm confused here.

This point in the manga was rather divisive among readers for feeling like a slog, though I blame that on the release schedule (since Murata had a lot of obligations at the time).

The anime has had the problem of the studio not having enough time to properly produce the episodes.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kawabata posted:

this is a less good studio under worse conditions adapting an arc that has not been finished in the manga yet

wasn't the producer fired to being a poo poo?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
To me the anime universe is still a unsolved mystery. For example, why did they take 4 years to release a second season of Shingeki No Kyojin after the massive success of the first? How did Berserk of all mangas end up with that studio, who greenlighted that horrid piece of poo poo and why?

But hey both Jojo and One Punch are interesting enough that I managed to make my non-anime friends fall in love with the series so I'm not complaining here, just some random thoughts. It's pretty clear that when stars align production values of today's animes can be staggering but oh boy do things go wrong when they don't.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Kawabata posted:

For example, why did they take 4 years to release a second season of Shingeki No Kyojin after the massive success of the first?

because the monthly-released manga's pacing is extremely slow and they didn't actually have enough material to make an entire other season until years later

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Kawabata posted:

To me the anime universe is still a unsolved mystery. For example, why did they take 4 years to release a second season of Shingeki No Kyojin after the massive success of the first? How did Berserk of all mangas end up with that studio, who greenlighted that horrid piece of poo poo and why?

But hey both Jojo and One Punch are interesting enough that I managed to make my non-anime friends fall in love with the series so I'm not complaining here, just some random thoughts. It's pretty clear that when stars align production values of today's animes can be staggering but oh boy do things go wrong when they don't.

I'm so glad JoJo got a good adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
fun fact: Berserk's problems were almost entirely due to its director, who wanted a show that looked like Guilty Gear Xrd and ignored the studio telling him that they didn't have the time, manpower, or technology to do it.

By the time he had finally been talked out of his ~creative vision~ it was too late and other problems had basically cascade failured into the show we got

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2017-07-07/what-the-heck-happened-to-berserk/.117834

The part that really gets me is where they had super manga accurate models ready to go and then couldn't actually get them to render.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 19, 2019