Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
that’s a glass back, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drwiii
Aug 23, 2005

You guessed it: Frank Stallone.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

just had to clear the cache on chrome to restore internet connectivity on my telephone. can ios do that? :smuggo:

"You know.." (Steve pauses to take a drink of whatever he poured into his water bottle) "..here at Apple, we're all about the excitement of the internet. And with iPhone, we've been able to bring it into the palm of your hand with an experience that many have said is the best computer experience hands down. That's not just the trade press, that's consumers too. And that's not just phones, that's computers also; we do that because the best features can't stay native to the best devices, there's always something coming. But how do you pay for things on the internet? Nobody likes using money, nobody wants to carry around a bunch of dollars and cards only to find that they need more.. How many of you have come up against that obstacle? I bet more than a few.. So we're happy to announce, today, Apple Coin. .. It's the new way to buy everything you could ever think of, right from the new iPhone 4. So how does it work? You may be surprised. Let's take a look." ('Demo' appears on their projector in whimsical Italics that were surely sourced from an obscure Italian font refinery via Adobe licensing) "Okay, so as you can see here, we give you some free Apple Coin to spend, just by buying the iPhone. We'll start by using the hardware-backed cash balance that's shown on screen here, a whole A4.00 worth of money.."

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
hey yospos. i'm posting from a 3000-ruble ($50) anroid phone in saint petersburg. other than the disturbingly warm battery it works exceedingly well. just remembered that yospos has an anroid thread and thought i'd post about my phone that probably won't explode during my stay here. do svidanya, comrades.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bozhe moi

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Привет

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
now Russia has your forums password.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

now Russia has your forums password.

russia's posting can't be any worse than op's

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Sham bam bamina! posted:

hey yospos. i'm posting from a 3000-ruble ($50) anroid phone in saint petersburg. other than the disturbingly warm battery it works exceedingly well. just remembered that yospos has an anroid thread and thought i'd post about my phone that probably won't explode during my stay here. do svidanya, comrades.

have fun :]

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Endless Mike posted:

russia's posting can't be any worse than op's

at least the posts will be difficult to read seeing as it'll be all cyrillics

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
this suspiciously cheap russian android phone works great!

on a completely different topic: the FSB now lives in my apartment and won't leave?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

much as i love the us intelligence agencies i am not sure i can afford the premium pricing to be spied on by them instead right at this moment

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

on a completely different topic: the FSB now lives in my apartment and won't leave?

in America, agent helps you find an apartment

in Soviet Russia, you help agent find apartment

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

much as i love the us intelligence agencies i am not sure i can afford the premium pricing to be spied on by them instead right at this moment

Amazon is practically giving away Echo devices. Now being spied on by US intelligence agencies is within the grasp of even the most thrifty of individuals! :nsa:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pseudorandom posted:

Amazon is practically giving away Echo devices. Now being spied on by US intelligence agencies is within the grasp of even the most thrifty of individuals. :nsa:

in America, you can visit a store

in Soviet Russia, store visits you

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pseudorandom posted:

Amazon is practically giving away Echo devices. Now being spied on by US intelligence agencies is within the grasp of even the most thrifty of individuals! :nsa:

when I bought my tv they put a free google home in my shopping cart [I removed it]

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

qirex posted:

when I bought my tv they put a free google home in my shopping cart [I removed it]

lol

"plllllllllease use our microphone. the algorithms hunger for your precious data"

"no"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

another Samsung innovation

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we made an app store!

no, we don't test or vet the content, why?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

honestly i have a hard time believing there's any malware targeting tizen that's not just ad harvesting poo poo that even a malware scanner that actually did something wouldn't detect

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

just using my new Huawei phone at home here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyYnNO-IEVA

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

honestly i have a hard time believing there's any malware targeting tizen that's not just ad harvesting poo poo that even a malware scanner that actually did something wouldn't detect
"targeting tizen" is probably like shooting fish in a barrel tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Endless Mike posted:

botnets and crypto miners

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

and i guess maybe persistent backdoors in case some idiots install them in an office somewhere

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Compare:
https://mail.edison.tech/
https://trends.edison.tech/

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
google RCS is what brought me back to this fetid forum in the first place.. and now.. here is an article on it.

someone please tell me what telecom exec needs to be get their guts replaced with dynamite and nitroglycerin to give all cell phones feature parity with aim (1997)

need to "send a message" lol.

Full Article on THE VERGE: https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/17/18681573/google-rcs-chat-android-texting-carriers-imessage-encryption

quote:

e’ve been hearing about RCS, the replacement for SMS texting, for over a year now, but actually using the next-generation service has been nearly impossible due to complicated carrier and phone maker politics. But now Google is taking over: later this month, Android users in the UK and France will be able to opt in to RCS Chat services provided directly by Google instead of waiting for their carrier to support it.

That seems like yet another minor status check-in on the service meant to replace SMS, but in fact it’s a huge shift in strategy: as Google rolls this offering out to more countries, it should eventually mean that RCS will become universally available for all Android users.

For the first time in years, Google will directly offer a better default texting experience to Android users instead of waiting for cellphone carriers to do it. It’s not quite the Google equivalent of an iMessage service for Android users, but it’s close. Not knowing when or if RCS Chat would be available for your phone was RCS’s second biggest problem, and Google is fixing it.[

RCS’s biggest problem is that messages are still not end-to-end encrypted. iMessage, WhatsApp, and Signal are secured in that way, and even Facebook has said it will make all its apps encrypted by default. Google’s chat solution is increasingly looking out of touch — even immoral.

blahblah

quote:

For most users, this is all you really need to know:

If you see the Chat prompt, click yes to enable RCS services from Google. Then if you see “Chat” in the app, you’re talking to somebody else who has RCS.
It’s encrypted in transit, but it’s not fully end-to-end encrypted, so your RCS provider can potentially see the contents of your messages, and turn them over to the government if properly asked. Google says it will delete them from its servers as soon as they’re delivered to your phone — more on this below.
It will work with any other phone that supports the RCS Universal Profile, regardless of whether Google or the carrier provides the service.
Finally, unless you’re in the UK or France, there’s no official timeline for when Google will flip the switch in your country.

quote:

That option isn’t available for RCS, because it uses a “federated model” where different carriers are in charge of the servers that deliver messages to their users. That makes it more complicated, but it’s important that whatever replaces SMS not be solely controlled by a single company.

Because it can’t rely on a central database, Android Messages sends a query directly to the other phone. Drew Rowny, product lead for Messages, tells me when you open a texting window in Android Messages, it pings everybody on that chat with an invisible message (sort of like a push notification) asking if they support RCS Chat, and Android Messages silently responds “Yes” if it does. Those messages are a “capability exchange,” and Rowny calls it a “point-driven” model, as opposed to Apple’s server-based system for iMessage.

Because the phone itself is responsible for telling others that it has Chat, it’s still tied to a phone number. It also means you won’t be able to have messages come in to multiple devices at once, like iMessage allows. You can still use a web interface by scanning a QR code with your phone, but it still depends on your phone for sending and receiving.

blah blah blah

quote:

he fact that Google is finally taking responsibility for fixing the RCS rollout is heartening. It took some gumption to face potential carrier ire and a greater chance of antitrust investigations. It’s going to take even more for the next step: end-to-end encryption.

Technically, there’s nothing in the RCS spec that would prevent building in end-to-end encryption. Google just has to get the GSMA to agree to a standard to add on to the Universal Profile (the spec that lets RCS services interoperate). That’s easier said than done, but again, it’s technically possible. It’s not just carriers, however: plenty of governments would be unhappy to see the default texting method on 75 percent of the world’s phones “go dark,” as the FBI likes to refer to it.

I can’t tell you if Google has the leverage — or the courage — to bring encryption to RCS. I can only tell you that it should.

it is a long article but its pretty good if you havent been Balls Deep in reading about RCS for the past year. it bring read receips and poo poo and sends your poo poo over data instead of the ghetto carrier piggyback horse poo poo sms has done since like the 80s or w/e.

will it work this time? will it suffer the fate of allo? only time will tell.

PERSONALLY, i was a google voice man from a long time ago and even used grand central before it. then i switched all my poo poo over the hangouts which owned but ppl who didnt have it u got the bad sms fallback. but it had good clients on all ur things. anyways google has been slowly deprecating hangouts and it got sick on my telephone and started lagging bad for some reason and not like sending messages for some reason sometimes which DOesnt Pass Muster. i switched to the android messages DEFAULT APP and its cool i guess but nobody i know can RCS with me..................... maybe they will in the future. Maybe they will.

Another Big Question is will Tim Cock in his genius galaxy brain allow for RCS interoperability with imessage? only time will tell...

it would be COnvenient if it was encryped also because using signal for my Crime Chats is cool but it would be cool if all my chats could also be crime chats. would be easier.

wanna flame me? feel free.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
bring back cooking with smythe

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I mean you printed out ascii art , scanned it in , and added MS paint text instead of ... using ASCII . so in effect you really RCS’d that SMS art

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
"Wait, we can mine people's conversations for yet more data and they'll like us for it? RCS! RCS! RCS!"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Partycat posted:

I mean you printed out ascii art , scanned it in , and added MS paint text instead of ... using ASCII . so in effect you really RCSd that SMS art

scared?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

bring back cooking with smythe

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
girl: wait, why are ure txts green?

yosposter: oh i have a samsung xlt note 9

girl: gross

yosposter: oh haha well actually i can now send text messages using the advanced rcs protocol. its almost as good as imessage on iphones

yosposter: anyway what's up haha

yosposter: loving mac lover

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

girl: wait, why are ure posts amber?

yosposter: oh i have terrible taste

girl: gross

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the one thing that was really holding google messaging from taking off was having to pull an entire international telephone consortium with them for the ride. luckily RCS fixes this.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
just use signal or (if necessary) imessage

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lol nm wrong thread

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I can’t wait for everyone to latch onto this new service only for google to abandon it

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
speaking of which

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
lol my favourite thing is when they drop a service and it's the first time i've even heard of it

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol my favourite thing is when they drop a service and it's the first time i've even heard of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

the one thing that was really holding google messaging from taking off was having to pull an entire international telephone consortium with them for the ride. luckily RCS fixes this.