Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

a few more pictures here

https://imgur.com/gallery/jn3ztKU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Trucks with logs or stacked iron pipes terrify me.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

The ZZ Top roadie stands ready to offer assistance as the semi truck prepares to give birth.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Proteus Jones posted:

There was a major trucking highway that passed thru the center of my hometown, and there was a particularly nasty, off-camber corner that would occasionally tip trucks over. Logging trucks, in particular. There was a laundromat along the outside of the corner that got flattened every few years for a decade or so before they regraded the corner and mitigated the problem.

For years, they'd use log rolling jokes in their marketing. Like, "ROLL IN ON FOR SMASHING DISCOUNTS!" and poo poo like that.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
If you've not keeping back a couple hundred feet from anything even vaguely log-shaped after seeing final destination I don't know what to tell you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Volcott posted:

If you've not keeping back a couple hundred feet from anything even vaguely log-shaped after seeing final destination I don't know what to tell you.

I can't poo with enough force :(

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volcott posted:

for me it was the tar trailer.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Volcott posted:

i didn't even see the movie, just the trailer was enough

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Byzantine posted:

i didn't even see final destination, just the trailer was enough

The trailer was the most dangerous part.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Volcott posted:

The trailer was the most dangerous part.

Well, duh. It was carrying logs.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Clayton Bigsby posted:

What album cover is this?

edit: obv this

Delicate Sound of Fire

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/RayRedacted/status/1140990923201024000

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

Your delivery of fire is here.

When my aunt first started dating my uncle they were in Sudbury, Ontario, where there were two active metal smelters (nickel and copper) right in town. Actually, both smelters are still there today, I used to live less than a kilometre from one of them. Anyway, for dates he would take her up Copper Street to the top of the hill and they would snuggle under a blanket and watch the slag hauler drop 20 tons of viscous, liquid FIRE off the slope, every few minutes, all night long.

That particular pile of cooled slag has since been reclaimed and is covered in grass, with a few young trees along the ridge. The new active slag pile is not visible from town, and they built a bunch of McMansions all along Copper Street and its new subdivision cul-de-sacs of streets with pretentious names.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

All i can really say to that is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl751CDdRZI

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

ExecuDork posted:

When my aunt first started dating my uncle they were in Sudbury, Ontario, where there were two active metal smelters (nickel and copper) right in town. Actually, both smelters are still there today, I used to live less than a kilometre from one of them. Anyway, for dates he would take her up Copper Street to the top of the hill and they would snuggle under a blanket and watch the slag hauler drop 20 tons of viscous, liquid FIRE off the slope, every few minutes, all night long.

That particular pile of cooled slag has since been reclaimed and is covered in grass, with a few young trees along the ridge. The new active slag pile is not visible from town, and they built a bunch of McMansions all along Copper Street and its new subdivision cul-de-sacs of streets with pretentious names.

I've had some pretty great dates with slags too

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ewiley posted:

I've had some pretty great dates with slags too

I've taken them up Copper Street a few times.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Shut up Meg posted:

I've taken them up Copper Street a few times.

But did you drop 20 tons of viscous, liquid FIRE on ’em? :q:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

All these images with inappropriately glowing electrical components make me weigh how fascinating it is and the draw to film it against the self-preservation instinct that seems lacking in getting that close for any extended time.

I'm sure glad there are people who care about continuing to exist less than I do so I can see crazy poo poo on the internet I guess

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The hatchet man holding a beer bottle was that nice extra touch I expected to see.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Where does that person who got hit come from? It's like they just snapped into existence.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Weembles posted:

Where does that person who got hit come from? It's like they just snapped into existence.

That would be the driver of the rickshaw.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Nocheez posted:

His name is Rick Shaw

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Proteus Jones posted:

for my part of the world, it's not just logging trucks but also that fun period of time in sep-oct where you have to dodge visibly overloaded sugarcane haulers

the assumption is clearly "the processing plant is only a few miles away so just go fuckin crazy, load it up" driving on rural-rear end two-lane roads

people die almost every year

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nocheez posted:

Former* driver of the rick shaw. Goes by the name Joe Bless.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Powershift posted:

Your delivery of fire is here.

I showed this one to my father (cotton farmer since around 1987).

quote:

Ugh. The operator was not paying enough attention to let a basket fire get that big. The first thing to do is cut off the fan that is blowing the cotton into the basket so it won't fan the flames. We have had it happen but never that bad.

So now you know.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I choose to believe that's a fire vacuum just cleaning up the field.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
A part of my brain keeps telling me that it's a high-speed photo of an experimental dumpster-shaped rocket just after liftoff. I like that part.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Phew--- it's fake. If you watch the mid ground below/in front of target guy you can see the clipping path lighting subtly shift in a straight line when he gets up and moves, and part of his shadow is briefly blocked 'behind' that layer too.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Hard to port!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdnTqnfX9_Q

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Proteus Jones posted:

don't forget steel coils

Fun fact: the railroad cars used to haul these are some of the heaviest in general freight and because railroads don't replace bridges until they have to, there are many routes where they have to space the coil cars out with an empty flatcar in between.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 19, 2019

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And hay bales

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

why would you mount that in an orientation where it can roll

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Captain Foo posted:

Guessing so you can get it off the truck.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wdarkk posted:

Guessing so you can get it off the truck.

cranes/lifters exist, though?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Captain Foo posted:

cranes/lifters exist, though?

If all they have is a forklift, they will put it on in a way so a forklift can get it back off.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cojawfee posted:

If all they have is a forklift, they will put it on in a way so a forklift can get it back off.

yeah, just seems weird that in 2019 they still havent come up with a palette solution so you can get forks underneath but still have it sit on a flat end.

but they probably do have that solution and it costs more so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I worked with roll-fed printers and the paper came stacked, two rolls on their side on the pallet. They had a forklift with a special attachment to grab the rolls and turn them up. Sometimes whoever was ordering the paper would pay extra to have them shipped standing up, but that wasn't the standard.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Doesn't seem safe having a pole that just jumps out of nowhere like that.

https://i.imgur.com/O03xppY.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

Fork truck with a spindle / crane with a chain etc...

Standing it up would suck for moving it around also probably harder to support to be able to get under it.