Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I still say that eating two devil fruits is a-okay, and the whole "you'll die if you eat two" thing is just a rumor. Blackbeard seems like he'd be crazy enough to risk eating a second fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i'm more inclined to believe it's a property of his first fruit, or there's something like pairings of fruits that go together well, like the pizza pizza fruit and the fruit fruit fruit: model pineapple.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Does the pineapple devil fruit give you powers based on the fruit, the grenade, or both?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lpzie posted:

i'm more inclined to believe it's a property of his first fruit, or there's something like pairings of fruits that go together well, like the pizza pizza fruit and the fruit fruit fruit: model pineapple.

What if Blackbeard actually ate the fruit fruit fruit which allows him to eat many different devil fruits?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Actually it turns out that contrary to popular belief, the Darkness fruit is actually a devil vegetable. A devilgetable.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The reasonable conclusion due to evidence is that Kaido ate the Chimera devil fruit based on now having two confirmed powers, and leaving three claw marks on Shank's face, but since this is One Piece it could be an ancient technique that allows multiple fruits, Blackbeard could be one of three identical brothers, it could be a legendary zoan that give him incredible power to match his chase for the rarest devil fruits, or we just find out he ate the Cow Cow fruit, has multiple stomachs, and can have multiple fruits.

One Piece is wild yall we have a big hat that I'll bet money nobody will predict the importance or effect of until we find new info out later

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RealFoxy posted:

The reasonable conclusion due to evidence is that Kaido ate the Chimera devil fruit based on now having two confirmed powers, and leaving three claw marks on Shank's face, but since this is One Piece it could be an ancient technique that allows multiple fruits, Blackbeard could be one of three identical brothers, it could be a legendary zoan that give him incredible power to match his chase for the rarest devil fruits, or we just find out he ate the Cow Cow fruit, has multiple stomachs, and can have multiple fruits.

One Piece is wild yall we have a big hat that I'll bet money nobody will predict the importance or effect of until we find new info out later

I'm going to assume you meant Blackbeard.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I vaguely recall someone (Shanks?) saying there was something special about Blackbeard's body. My guess is it's that he was born with two hearts. It's a bit simple for Oda but it also happens to line up with the fact that Blackbeard seems to have a very 'dual' nature, being both a master schemer while retaining a lackadaisical approach to smaller details - being a bit of a wimp while also being a fearsome fighter - being cruel while also seeming to care for his subordinates at times.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Could it be that Blackbeard's body contains some sort of nanomachines?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Judging by his lack of hardening in response to physical trauma, I'd say his body does not contain nanomachines. Maybe he's just an alien from a pirate planet.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

You're overthinking it. It's just him wrapping the second fruit in darkness to cheat the rules

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Angry Lobster posted:

Judging by his lack of hardening in response to physical trauma, I'd say his body does not contain nanomachines. Maybe he's just an alien from a pirate planet.
You're thinking too small. He says his power is gravity... but who would believe the word of a pirate? Maybe he's actually a black hole that ate the Human Human Fruit: Model Pirate.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

RealFoxy posted:

it’s the cerberus fruit because of the three headed flag get it right or pay the price

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

blackbeard tricked everyone into thinking he stole whitebeard's fruit using advanced cgi effects. the tarp they put over whitebeard was just to distract people while they set up the projector and screen

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm just going to bring up the boring but simple theory that members of the D. Clan can have multiple devil fruit powers.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Julias posted:

I'm just going to bring up the boring but simple theory that members of the D. Clan can have multiple devil fruit powers.

At the end of the series Luffy gets the fruit of every rear end in a top hat he's beaten in the past and turns into a giant dragon made out of strings of mochi.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Spanish Matlock posted:

At the end of the series Luffy gets the fruit of every rear end in a top hat he's beaten in the past and turns into Megaman.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

could the only example of two devil fruits being used, as seen in the man who was said not to be a true D, be evidence that the d.’s can use two devil fruits..... i’m brave enough to say yes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Basically seems to be a theme with Blackbeard that he doesn't work by the same rules as anybody else. He has the D middle name but few to none of the common traits; has a Logia power that doesn't work like any other Logia or Devil Fruit at all, and of course has two Devil Fruit powers and can somehow transfer Devil Fruit powers to others. He went from a no-name no-bounty pirate (albeit through deliberate obscurity given a first mate of one of Whitebeard's divisions probably makes him high tier, and of course having scarred Shanks) to a Warlord and then Emperor in practically no time, becoming Emperor the first time he actually got a bounty. I'm sure we've got some twists to explain that, but they're gonna be doozies in any case.

Super Rad posted:

I vaguely recall someone (Shanks?) saying there was something special about Blackbeard's body. My guess is it's that he was born with two hearts. It's a bit simple for Oda but it also happens to line up with the fact that Blackbeard seems to have a very 'dual' nature, being both a master schemer while retaining a lackadaisical approach to smaller details - being a bit of a wimp while also being a fearsome fighter - being cruel while also seeming to care for his subordinates at times.

Angry Lobster posted:

Don't get this into theorising that someone is a Time Lord.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

everyone is born with a devil fruit but blackbeard wasn't so in reality you can only ever have 2 devil fruits.

cus like the will of d works on devil fruit rules of just someone else inheriting it after they die

Kild fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 19, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Blackbeard is Coby

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Super Rad posted:

gently caress I hope it doesn't turn out he just has split personalities or something. I doubt that's the case, but still.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Basically seems to be a theme with Blackbeard that he doesn't work by the same rules as anybody else. He has the D middle name but few to none of the common traits; has a Logia power that doesn't work like any other Logia or Devil Fruit at all, and of course has two Devil Fruit powers and can somehow transfer Devil Fruit powers to others. He went from a no-name no-bounty pirate (albeit through deliberate obscurity given a first mate of one of Whitebeard's divisions probably makes him high tier, and of course having scarred Shanks) to a Warlord and then Emperor in practically no time, becoming Emperor the first time he actually got a bounty. I'm sure we've got some twists to explain that, but they're gonna be doozies in any case.

I forget, when did Blackbeard transfer a devil fruit power? I assumed he figured out that regular fruits can turn into devil ones (such as we see on Punk Hazard), and then used that to ensure that when Whitebeard's quake quake fruit respawned, he was right there to eat it.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Pick your poison:

1) Blackbeard is multiple people somehow (Vegapunk experiment???)
2) Devil fruits can actually be eaten willy nilly and Blackbeard is the only brain genius smart enough to try it
3) Darkness fruit grants the ability to have multiple powers
4) Actually, it's not the darkness fruit that did it. It was the unrevealed cerberus fruit Blackbeard ate before the darkness fruit that lets him have multiple powers. Now that he has 3 devil fruits, he's unable to absorb anymore.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
:confused:

where is the nanobots option or does that fall under multiple people?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Yeah I'm gonna say that if the answer is "its science" that fits under #1

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
the yami yami no mi's gravity powers just prevent the little devil fruit ghost from leaving your body and instead you suck it up like a vacuum cleaner and get it

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Blackbeard being multiple people is actually the theory that he's doing his own special take on The Prestige. It's linked somewhere earlier in the thread and I'm too lazy to track it down.

This is not to be confused with the theory that there was a twin, but he ate him in the womb. Which everyone thought was so stupid it got lumped together with nanomachines, which is how someone tried to explain Kizaru's lasers once upon a time. I guess that would be #5.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
But you see him using both the earthquake fruit and the shadow fruit at the same time (chapter 577), using one power from each arm simultaneously at one point. He even channels earthquake from his left and right arm at different points, and does the same with shadow. He could well be two people somehow but it would be a weirder explanation than the prestige where they just took turns.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 19, 2019

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
There's the whole thing with him being drawn with good teeth and then later with bad teeth and other inconsistencies which aren't directly addressed anywhere or dismissed as art mistakes or corrected when released as volumes

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

almost like he has multiple heads. some kind of multiple headed beast

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
poo poo. is orochi black beard. oh my god

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blackbeard has the dodrio fruit

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

oddium posted:

almost like he has multiple heads. some kind of multiple headed beast
3-head theory is imo the strongest theory. It's just a question of how he got 3 heads, whether it's a fruit or science or fantasy.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

in that big belly of his, three brothers live.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lpzie posted:

in that big belly of his, three brothers live.

BLACKBEARD IS GOING TO BREAK INTO THE WORLD GOVENRMENT AND WEAR THE BIG HAT

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Devil Fruits have a natural affinity for Cherries. Once one consumes enough cherries a Devil fruit will chose not to explode you.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Was the cherry pie good or bad? What about the drink?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DizzyBum posted:

Blackbeard is Coby

Coby and Blackbeard were both at Marineford-how do you explain this discrepancy?!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Turns out you can eat one of each kind of devil fruit and someone only saw a person eat 2 of the same kind and explode which is where the legend comes from

Really though he's valentine from jjba steel ball run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom

What if he vegapunk'd the Earthquake fruit to one of his rings? Or perhaps his bracelet.

The only object-fruits we've seen so far have been Zoans right, what's to say it can't be other types and potentially interchangeable with others. Good room for power-ups from both crews.