Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

The BOTW engine could be used throughout the lifespan of the Switch for a series of Zelda games. I don't know about exploring the exact same overworld map as BOTW but making epic dungeons and far off lands/islands to journey to would allow for a lot of variety and changes.

I have no idea how this would work but it would be cool if they worked outward from the original map, yeah. It's a good map, Brent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

the fish boss (Gyorg) got changed but I forget why it was worse.

because you had to cut a mine chained to the ground with your boomerang arms while being pulled in by a current, and the hitbox for the chain sucked, and you could accidentally hit and detonate the mine on the backswing, but also the hitbox for the boss in that phase sucked so even if you got it nine times out of ten it would hit the boss but it wouldn't register as a hit

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Hopefully one of the ideas for BotW DLC was a Zelda game!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Came back to Dead Cells, and i gotta say I'm liking the balance changes they made to the game; I'm actually making progress again.
That poo poo was just too hard for me the first time. :negative:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Araxxor posted:

I heard the boss fights got changed for the worse, and the song of double time got a nerf. I think that was about it for the major stuff. Slightly changed side content as well.

Grezzo's output has been pretty decent overall, aside from some contention about the Majora's Mask remake. And Ever Oasis was a pretty decent and chill 3DS title.

the song of double time lets you choose a specific hour to skip to so it got the opposite of nerfed.

the new twinmold fight is so unbelievably bad though that it almost turns majora's mask into something less than the best game ever made

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

romanowski posted:

the song of double time lets you choose a specific hour to skip to so it got the opposite of nerfed.

the new twinmold fight is so unbelievably bad though that it almost turns majora's mask into something less than the best game ever made

Oh wait, I meant the one that slowed time down.

Also looked at the new bosses and uhhhh. Yikes. The changes are definitely for the worse there.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have no idea why they would ruin Zora swimming in the 3DS version. It’s like they wanted to hurt me personally

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like the remake twinmold fight. I thought it was rad to choke it and spin it around.

I never played the original version of the fight though. I’d always burn out at the second temple in the N64 version.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

hatty posted:

I have no idea why they would ruin Zora swimming in the 3DS version. It’s like they wanted to hurt me personally

Wait they did what now?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bongo Bill posted:

The remake's version of Goht isn't as fun because you have to occasionally stop rolling. Other than that it's good.

I believe you still can, if you jump off a ramp and land on him the eye will come out of his back and you need to use arrows, however if you hit Goht's legs he'll fall on his side and the eye is within roll/melee attack range.

Araxxor posted:

Oh wait, I meant the one that slowed time down.

The day only becomes twice as long rather than 3 times as long, but it's still super manageable to do everything you need to.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MM is up there with my favourite Zeldas but I didn't gel with the remake at all.

It loses its ugliness and the edges are softened. And yeah, they made the Zora swimming slower and a bit more like standard videogame swimming.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

No wonder I thought it was easier. The changes didn't register, since I hadn't played MM in ages. I just thought I was older and better at games now, which I'm sure is a part of it too.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I enjoyed the remake but what were the changes? I don't think I noticed

some of the bad changes, big or small, in no particular order, include;

- changing all of the boss fights to have big dumb weakpoints/mechanics that are either a) easily exploitable and make the fight a waste of time or b) make the fight really finicky and frustrating

- removing the ability to maintain momentum from a deku spin into hopping on the water, despite otherwise keeping the spacing of the lily pads the same (they were obviously originally designed with it in mind in several areas) and making sections including them needlessly frustrating

- changing the zora swimming from the cool fun fishman swimming to slow lame human swimming, despite all of the underwater environments and puzzles (otherwise unchanged) being designed entirely around being able to move around quickly, making a whole really fun chunk of the game fairly tedious

- making several of the minibosses huge pushovers; for example, Skull Keeta now moves so slowly that it's possible to just run right up to them and stab them before the first fire barrier goes up, and it's like... what was the point of that?

- adding a whole bunch of "hints" that are basically characters running up to you and telling you in no uncertain terms "go here and do this and you'll get a heart piece"

- changing a bunch of puzzle mechanics in a way that is intended to make things easier, but both simultaneously makes the puzzles unsatisfyingly easy and also obfuscates the player's ability to problem solve otherwise; for example, in the Great Bay Temple, they changed all of the ice arrow puzzles so you can only freeze sparkling blue portions of the water, which immediately changes the puzzle from "figure out what you need to do and how to do it" to "here's the solution, the 'puzzle' is the time it takes for you to do it", which is bad, and then later in the fight against Gyorg you can use the ice arrows to make extra platforms to dodge attacks that are otherwise difficult or impossible to avoid on the main platform, but a lot of players won't know that they can do this because the water doesn't have the blue sparkles, which is inconsistent

like a bunch of the changes were good but a lot of other stuff just made the game way more tedious for no reason, and I say this as a person whose favorite game was Majora's Mask for seventeen years

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

bushisms.txt posted:

Wait they did what now?

Ruined is a bit harsh, but they made it so the only way to swim quickly is to use magic. So you can only zip around the ocean for a limited time unless you were picking up refills constantly.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Beastie posted:

This was making the rounds on Reddit. I don’t think anyone was expecting them to be alike but that is some garbage foliage.

Edit: right side is Pokemon Sword/Shield

Look... Pokemon has been lazy as poo poo for 20 years. They literally release 2 versions of the same game every time and somehow double their sales. Then they release the same game with like 4 changes and call it the best version and triple their sales. Like this isn't something new.

I get people are now upset over it because they just collectively cracked but they've always been bad at online, bad at balance, bad at putting everything into the first release of a gen so you'll have to go back and buy the game again.

I dunno why people are picking up on this now just because they don't have every Pokemon in there.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 19, 2019

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
even then your max speed is nowhere near the max speed in the original game so you can't do insane poo poo like deflect yourself off the geometry underwater and land three storeys higher than you started, sequence breaking various hookshot puzzles if you are sufficiently determined

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pokemon seems fine

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It looks the exact same amount of effort theyve put into everything theyve ever done and I see no reason to believe the next pokemone wont sell 12 million copies in the first week or whatever the hell.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Pokémon is gonna sell like gangbusters because you’ll all forget about the massive flaws when you see they put in a shoe Pokémon or some poo poo that you just gotta catch. It’s worked for me at least...seven other times.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Pokemon will be fine and do fine no matter how much people complain about the national Dex or trees or that one clip of Scorbunny using double kick. I'm not saying people aren't allowed to be upset about those things of course, but it's the first major release on a home console (that isn't a remake) and the Switch is on fire. It's gonna sell so well and while I'll miss whatever Pokemon didn't make it in I'm still gonna have a blast with it. Ultra Moon is the only main game I've never finished and this one has Sobble and Wooloo so it's a done deal.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Pokémon is gonna sell like gangbusters because you’ll all forget about the massive flaws when you see they put in a shoe Pokémon or some poo poo that you just gotta catch. It’s worked for me at least...seven other times.

they will sell 999 copies, one to each fan of the remaining pokemon left to catch

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

then nintendo will finally go under

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
When there's no more room in Kanto, the Pokemon shall roam the Earth. :zombie:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://kotaku.com/luigi-s-mansion-3-developers-promise-better-bosses-and-1835578019

luigis mansion 3 is going to have cool bosses and exploration like the first game

quote:

“More than anything we really wanted to put those unique bosses in the second one and we couldn’t,” Ikebata said via a translator, “so that’s why we’ve put so many of them in the third one.”

“To be completely honest, when I was playing Dark Moon, I told Ikebata-san that if it were me, I would remake a lot of the bosses,” added Tanabe, who did not work on the 3DS game and had deferred oversight to Nintendo’s legendary designer Shigeru Miyamoto. “I really wanted a more exciting kind of boss battle when looking to create the new game. In creating this game, one of the first things I requested of NLG is to really bring the excitement when you’re fighting the boss battles.”

“We originally wanted to create was a gameplay system that really plays with the way the rooms are structured and laid out,” Tanabe said, in a point he elaborated on for Nintendo’s in-house News Channel, where he added, “With a hotel, it’s easy to envision how rooms are structured: they are lined up above, below, and beside each other. For instance, if you are in room 102, you would immediately know that room 202 was directly above you.” That, he said, might help a player track a drip of water on the ceiling of one room to the room above it.

Unlike Dark Moon, LM3 is not mission-based. Players can explore the game world freely once they gain access to a given floor of the hotel.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hatty posted:

Ruined is a bit harsh, but they made it so the only way to swim quickly is to use magic. So you can only zip around the ocean for a limited time unless you were picking up refills constantly.

If you weren't constantly high on Shadow Milk every loop by the time you had the Zora Mask, that's on you.

Also the swim changes are better because it means that the slightest fuckup is no longer a total run-killer in the Beaver Dam and you can actually correct your turns.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Several million people will buy Pokemon solely for the sheep.

Your opinions are meaningless. My opinions are meaningless. Everyone's opinions will die forgotten, and the universe will remain at peace.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Super Mario Odyssey is the first 3D Mario game I've played and so far it's just not clicking with me.

Maybe I'm just a weirdo.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

i am so dumb that i will buy two versions of the same drat pokemon game despite the versions only having 3 things different from each other that you can trade with other people to get for free, and then happily do it all again next year when sharper sword and bigger shield comes out

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

OhFunny posted:

Super Mario Odyssey is the first 3D Mario game I've played and so far it's just not clicking with me.

Maybe I'm just a weirdo.

It was my second after Galaxy 1 and 3D Land. I liked it enough, but I never thought it was amazing. I've come to the conclusion that I'm more of a 2D platformer person. There's some good moments but they're at the middle and the end of the game.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

OhFunny posted:

Maybe I'm just a weirdo.

Nah, Odyssey wasn't my first 3D Mario but it was the first 3D Mario that clicked with me, so I can sympathize. Odyssey eventually clicked, and I just finished it (well, beat the story. There are still more moons to gather) but I played Galaxy and while I could appreciate it was a good game I never felt compelled to play it and never even came close to finishing it. Platformers are just better in 2D, I think.

As an aside, having finished Odyssey and Mario Kart not being a particularly compelling game for me means I'm left with just Breath of the Wild to finish. drat good thing Mario Maker is coming out in just over a week...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

OhFunny posted:

Maybe I'm just a weirdo.

It's very easy, but it's also very chill. I'd suggest maybe try it while high if that's your thing :)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah my point was Pokémon does the bare minimum because that works honestly. I think people just want last game, but more every time.

I’m personally ok with that and like, I just kinda give them a pass? Of course the tree looks bad they used 2d for like 5 years longer than necessary.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

i am so dumb that i will buy two versions of the same drat pokemon game despite the versions only having 3 things different from each other that you can trade with other people to get for free, and then happily do it all again next year when sharper sword and bigger shield comes out

I used to buy 2 versions so that me and my wife can play at the same time. But with the switch we’re just gonna use different profiles on the same switch

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 19, 2019

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
My 8 y/o seems to be having fun in that 3D Mario. I never got used to 3D platformers, too used to 2Ds from the NES/SNES and never really clicked with 3Ds. He asks for help when he's stuck, but he's so much better at the controls now that I feel old and replaced. :(

Pretty sure this means he can play Zelda as well, so might buy that for him and play together, actually.

Should also check if Skyrim is cheaper already. I'd love to play that game sometimes and the Switch seems perfect for it. Anyone that has it can comment of the controls?

edit: Oh! Question; my kid keeps saying he finished Pokemon because he beat the "elite 4". Does that mean he reached the end of the story line?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Acht posted:

My 8 y/o seems to be having fun in that 3D Mario. I never got used to 3D platformers, too used to 2Ds from the NES/SNES and never really clicked with 3Ds. He asks for help when he's stuck, but he's so much better at the controls now that I feel old and replaced. :(

Pretty sure this means he can play Zelda as well, so might buy that for him and play together, actually.

Should also check if Skyrim is cheaper already. I'd love to play that game sometimes and the Switch seems perfect for it. Anyone that has it can comment of the controls?

edit: Oh! Question; my kid keeps saying he finished Pokemon because he beat the "elite 4". Does that mean he reached the end of the story line?

There is a 2d MARIO on switch! It’s a port of a Wii U game but still. New super Mario bros deluxe. It’s multiplayer too.

Definitely check out super Mario maker 2 in like a week.

Elite 4 is the end of the Pokémon story. Usually there is some post game to do afterwards like catch new legends and unlock battle towers and play multiplayer and all that, but the “main quest” is over yeah.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Acht posted:

Skyrim plays fine and I enjoyed the x hours I put into it though I never did get around to beating the main story or the Island. I may go back to it, but it just feels so empty and pales compared to BotW. I don't know if I can play other open world games, and not look down on them.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I got FF7 and I’m playing it for the first time and I’m enjoying it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
2 hardware questions, Fam:

1) Do the watermelon Joycons ever go on sale? I love them and can already tell I’ll want a second pair to mod & match with my Red/Blues

2) I’m confused about how the Switch’s memory is handled. I took my Switch out of the box and put BotW and Hollow Knight on it, and now it says I have about 6gb left. When I checked the memory card slot it was empty. Do I just buy a memory card and plug it in to augment the memory capacity? Or do I have to transfer my BotW and HK saves over to some new card with my 3DS. I guess I’m asking if the Switch has native memory enough for one or two games or if there’s a second memory card holder I’m not seeing.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

There's 32 GB of internal storage. You won't need to move anything around if you add a microSD card because the saves get stored internally no matter what.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AXxJbctW6U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There is a 2d MARIO on switch! It’s a port of a Wii U game but still. New super Mario bros deluxe. It’s multiplayer too.

Definitely check out super Mario maker 2 in like a week.

Elite 4 is the end of the Pokémon story. Usually there is some post game to do afterwards like catch new legends and unlock battle towers and play multiplayer and all that, but the “main quest” is over yeah.

Oh hey, I'll def check out the remake, thanks!
I'm not too sure about Mario Maker; it's basically a sandbox level creator right?
He did like watching streams of people playing the first MM though.

Cheers about the Pokemon info. Guess it's time the new one comes out, he's super into it.

@100yrsofattitude;
Thanks :) I think I'll grab it if it's on sale. I played the PC version a bit, but never far. Seems like a great game for on the big screen and/or handheld.
Or just get BotW... Hm.