Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Argas posted:

I haven't watched the older shows in probably a decade but Frontier and Delta's first episodes are basically perfect spectacles to draw you in. Regardless of whether the rest of the series is pretty good or complete rear end, it's never a mystery why you gave it a shot.

One thing that amuses me with Gaofighgar is that it looks awkward as heck doing Hell and Heaven. Like, they're not meant to be realistic at all but Gaofighgar's protruding chest makes it impossible.

Gaifighgar isn't really meant to use Hell&Heaven anyway, it doesn't have Gaogaigar's gravity emitter thing

the awkwardness is probably intended

GorfZaplen posted:

Well. I haven't read GaoGaiGo but I think Betterman is a somewhat underrated show personally

tbf the bettermen are probably less aggravating if you actually know what the hell they're talking about

i haven't seen it so to me they're just mumbling things about mysteries and taking time that could be spent on robot punches

e: though the human betterman characters are more or less fine, it's the bettermen themselves that are boring as hell

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

If you aren't a giant robot or can't pilot or turn into one you shouldn't be around tbh.

Exceptions may be made but only for beings of the hottest of blood.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

If you aren't a giant robot or can't pilot or turn into one you shouldn't be around tbh.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

pilots a giant robot in GGGvsB, so he counts

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Blaze Dragon posted:

I will not stand for this attack on bridge bunnies and maintenance crew.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

The words of someone in urgent need of "Correction".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I do not know who this is though he looks vaguely familiar. But that may be because he looks like a kid version of Garrod Ran.

Light Gun Man posted:

Not all the bridge bunnies and maintenance crew! A few of them are genuinely hot blooded and thus fall into my post. The rest can go.

chiasaur11 posted:

The words of someone in urgent need of "Correction".

Fine. You can stay if you pilot a battleship if you're cool enough.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

shammy is the best bridge worker in anime

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

the trac ball control system is v. powerful

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

Never forget Bobby from Macross F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD1LlDhItF0

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that is still the most macross episode ever

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Darth Walrus posted:

Frontier at least manages to generally keep up the momentum with some spectacular setpieces. It sags here and there, but it's mostly a good, fun ride. Delta is just a mess, especially in its second half.

Yeah, Frontier was okay. The movies kind of compress everything but they also cut out a lot of the stuff that dragged the series down across its length.

The less said about Delta the better.

TaurusOxford posted:

You say that, but if you want to go off of the Super Robot Chogokin toys, GaoFighGar is the only one who can do Hell and Heaven without any part swapping or modifications aside from swapping in the clasped hands. Even the Soul of Chogokin GGG has two parts of the mane hinge backwards to give the arms clearance.

Haha, I love it. When I say it looks awkward, I mean in GGG Final, GFG doesn't look like it could bring its arms back down to be perpendicular to its chest from the initial clasping-hands position of Hell and Heaven because the nose is in the way.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I'm 2/3 of the way through Dunbine. I rather enjoy it! The bug mech designs are cool and sell the fantasy setting well.

But mostly I love the premise - a Silicon valley engineer isekais into another world, invents biomechs, and dooms everyone to horrible forever war. Our protagonist gets in on the ground floor of the mech war after an isekai kidnapping leaves him as a knight on the bad guy's side. I think the show really delivers on the fantasy world setting. The politics feel like a player of Crusader Kings II trying to conquer the world. The magical underpinnings of the world are apparent in the visual design and the plot.

I feel like Digimon draws a lot of concepts from this show.

People are right about it spinning its wheels for good portions of the runtime though. Perhaps watching Victory Gundam as my previous Tomino show has accustomed me to that.

It's on HiDive and VRV if you want to check it out! The dub is pretty decent except for poor volume level balancing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tbh I feel like Byston Well is very bland as a setting beyond being the progenitor of the fantasy + mecha genre.

Like no actual set piece there is very memorable to me- its all nondescript fields and bland castles and sky and such.

LAST THIRD OF THE SHOW SPOILER The stuff in Upper Earth is more memorable to me tbh- the episode where Paris burns immediately jumps to mind.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 20, 2019

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Eh, it has some okay stuff like the Crystal forest and weird creatures. I'm talking more about the strange cosmology of the world, where there isn't space above the planet but an ocean. I feel like how that stuff and the fairy domain integrates into the plot when they get sent back to earth delivers on the premise well.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/Fotosdecomics/status/1145861366131175424

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Y'all know Gundam, and most of you are familiar with Zambot 3, but before either of those shows Yoshiyuki Tomino, along with Combattler V's (not to mention Rose of Versailles's) Tadao Nagahama, worked on a super robot show called Yuusha Raideen.

Yuusha Raideen isn't widely discussed, but it was actually a pretty important show. It was one of the first anime produced that was not based on a previously existing intellectual property, it was the first super robot show (depending on your definition) that was not produced by Dynamic Productions. And while it was a formulaic monster-of-the-week show it the truest tradition, it also had a tension between it's commercial elements (the first transforming robot toy!) and it's oddly pessimistic themes.

It ain't quite "Wow, Cool Robot/War is Bad," on account of the show largely ain't that focused, but it plays at it in enough disparate directions that you can see how it would lead into shows like Gundam and Ideon down the line. So while the show isn't exactly good, it's just strange enough and formative enough to be really fascinating.

To that extent (and also because I went looking for youtube essay videos about robot anime a while back, and thought "I can do better than this") I have produced this video about the series. It touches upon everything mentioned as well as exploring the show in all it's weirdness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-s_cL8zHE

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Y'all know Gundam, and most of you are familiar with Zambot 3, but before either of those shows Yoshiyuki Tomino, along with Combattler V's (not to mention Rose of Versailles's) Tadao Nagahama, worked on a super robot show called Yuusha Raideen.

Yuusha Raideen isn't widely discussed, but it was actually a pretty important show. It was one of the first anime produced that was not based on a previously existing intellectual property, it was the first super robot show (depending on your definition) that was not produced by Dynamic Productions. And while it was a formulaic monster-of-the-week show it the truest tradition, it also had a tension between it's commercial elements (the first transforming robot toy!) and it's oddly pessimistic themes.

It ain't quite "Wow, Cool Robot/War is Bad," on account of the show largely ain't that focused, but it plays at it in enough disparate directions that you can see how it would lead into shows like Gundam and Ideon down the line. So while the show isn't exactly good, it's just strange enough and formative enough to be really fascinating.

To that extent (and also because I went looking for youtube essay videos about robot anime a while back, and thought "I can do better than this") I have produced this video about the series. It touches upon everything mentioned as well as exploring the show in all it's weirdness.

Raideen was also one of the three mechs from the Shogun Warriors toyline to appear in the Marvel comic. It even got the American pilot.

Then it got blown up because the license agreement expired.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Schwarzwald posted:

This is really cool and I hope you keep doing stuff like this, but you need to tighten up your editing. I watched the first fifteen minutes and I'm pretty sure most of that was just scenes from the first episode of Raideen playing in their entirety without commentary

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Isn't it also the other major inspiration for Rahxephon?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Isn't it also the other major inspiration for Rahxephon?

To be more precise, RahXephon is a remake of Brave Raideen heavily filtered through Evangelion.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

To be more precise, RahXephon is a remake of Brave Raideen heavily filtered through Evangelion.

It's hard to overstate how badly Rahxephon wants to be Evangelion.

(I still really like Rahxephon)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

And then Super Robot Wars MX's plot turns out to be, basically, the conspiracies from Eva and RahXephon crashing into each other at high speeds right next to Raideen.

Then Rom Stol appears out of nowhere to give a heroic speech.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

This is really cool and I hope you keep doing stuff like this, but you need to tighten up your editing. I watched the first fifteen minutes and I'm pretty sure most of that was just scenes from the first episode of Raideen playing in their entirety without commentary

I wanted to have enough context for the rest of the video to make sense to someone who never watched a super robot show before, and to that end I wanted to cover enough of the first episode to have the show explain itself. That being said, I do agree with you. It's the part that went through the most revisions, and it's still the part I'm least happy with.

I'd like to do more, but I'm not going to making any promises. This was the product of a great deal of free time, which I don't expect to have for a while. I do have a few ideas, though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that is still the most macross episode ever

I love how it's six episodes of "that's cool, one of the bridge bunnies is a guy dude" followed up by "oh poo poo, he's the badass they trusted to fly the Macross Quarter"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

raideen's very bog-standard but interesting because it's finishing move kills it's pilot, something it and i think only ggg have done

I mean every super robot has a life-threatening attack but it's usually "if we screw this up we're dead" not "if you use this enough it will literally kill you"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kanos posted:

It's hard to overstate how badly Rahxephon wants to be Evangelion.

(I still really like Rahxephon)

Much like Evangelion, it too has a great soundtrack.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I wanted to have enough context for the rest of the video to make sense to someone who never watched a super robot show before, and to that end I wanted to cover enough of the first episode to have the show explain itself. That being said, I do agree with you. It's the part that went through the most revisions, and it's still the part I'm least happy with.

I'd like to do more, but I'm not going to making any promises. This was the product of a great deal of free time, which I don't expect to have for a while. I do have a few ideas, though.

Always remember your audience. Unless you had a particular person in mind and made this just for them, consider how likely it is for someone who has never before seen any super robot material to watch your video. It’s OK to make some assumptions about your audience, especially for niche subjects like mecha anime.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Yinlock posted:

raideen's very bog-standard but interesting because it's finishing move kills it's pilot, something it and i think only ggg have done

I mean every super robot has a life-threatening attack but it's usually "if we screw this up we're dead" not "if you use this enough it will literally kill you"

Is this God Ra Muu because whoops I spammed the poo poo out of that in Alpha.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Caphi posted:

It only does that in SRW 3 I think. You use it too much and he passes out before the final stage.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Caphi posted:

God Voice.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Bad news everyone!

https://twitter.com/DenofGeekUS/status/1147313094525255681

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I watched VOTOMS: Shining Heresy today.

I liked it well enough for the most part, but after multiple prequels and sidestories its a little disappointing that the first genuine sequel to the TV show feels a kind of slight for most of its run, and I'm not super fond of the actual ending.

In some ways it feels more like a soft reboot a la New Story of Aura Battler Dunbine to me, not only in how you can parallel Old Man Rochina with Old Man Shot Weapon, but also the way that it ends up just being kind of a retread of plot elements of the older show- in this case its "Oh noes Fyanna got kidnapped again, better go rescue her again" with the unfortunate ending of more or less killing her off, which really doesn't sit well with me as an idea to begin with, especially after she spends most of the show in a Sleeping Beauty/Snow White kind of a role. In a way it kind of cleans the slate too to throw Chirico into new adventures with new characters, though I'm not sure that's even particularly a good idea to begin with. Why not just make more new casts a la Mellowlink at that point?

Still, I like the general idea of the theocracy and treating Chirico as a genuine sort of religious figure that no one quite knows what to do with, and there is a certain appeal to getting to see Chirico run around in a 90's anime (Even if this is his only outing here in this decade). Also the heavy use of faux-static Nextant goofery with Titania was a cool choice, and must have been particularly neat in the VHS era.

I just wish the OVA as a whole was a little more substantive, and that the ending didn't basically undo what I liked about the ending to the original TV show.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 6, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Omfg gently caress THIS!!! FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
WHY!?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Because Tatsunoko likes free money.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If Harmony Gold wants to keep pulling this poo poo they should at least do the "right thing" and buy the franchises straight up like World Events did for Voltron.

I guess that's a lot more reasonable when we're talking about GoLion and not Macross but you know, gently caress em.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SpikeMcclane posted:

Because Tatsunoko likes free money.

they're getting a whole loving lot less money from this than the alternative, there's a very wide chunk of Macross that HG has explicitly and specifically said they will never allow to be officially released in America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I don't really like Macross but I can tell bullshit when I see it.