Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

Do you really need to grind in Disgaea? I only played a few chapters of the first game but all the enemies level with you so it doesn't seem like you ever need to break the game except when you're doing post-game stuff.

The first Disgaea was really easy to break. There was a pretty early map with a map effect causing enemy levels to slowly go up each turn. There were also catchable monsters on that map.

The way this worked was to kill everything except one enemy, trap that one until you felt your army back in the base was slowly getting to the point of being in real danger, then you'd grab and throw the monster into your base. Then the entire army would be compared to that one enemy, and while this when done right nearly wiped out all your units, it also meant you got a new unit almost as strong as your entire army combined.

Then you'd pay to revive everyone and do this again. But now, thanks to a high-leveled monster sitting in your base helping out, you could go even higher on your next capture-attempt. I did this just a couple of times, going something like mid-thirties up to 170+ levels until I got bored. The rest of the game was piss-easy after that.

I think Disgaea II had a similar map at some point you could abuse, but I think monster-catching was nerfed after you could abuse it so much in part 1, so I'm not sure if this actually still works in the other games of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Hwurmp posted:

I never had a Sky game crash, but I played them looong before a lot of the newer additions like Turbo Mode; could they have destabilized things?

I kind of suspect this, yeah. I haven't given enough of a rat's rear end to dip into DX8 mode to compare for stability but it's two crashes over 14 hours so far. It's not fatal, especially with the autosave system.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i played them since the last time they were updated and they never crashed on me, must just be a gpu or driver specific issue or something

playing Zero now with the english patch and that's working fine out of the box too

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I played through all of Zero no Kiseki and almost 100%'d it and the only issue I ran into was the god awful final dungeon/boss.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

With my experience in Disgaea 5, at some point it kinda clicked to me that the postgame and focusing on one character turned the game a bit more akin to a hyper-paced roguelike which made it really compelling.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is translated front mission 5 worth playing? I was a big fan of 3 and 4, always wished 5 would have made it over west. I should check out the snes games too but was kind of interested in 5.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

i played them since the last time they were updated and they never crashed on me, must just be a gpu or driver specific issue or something

playing Zero now with the english patch and that's working fine out of the box too

wait what, there's an english patch of Zero? Is it competent?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Front Mission 5 translation is fine, it's not machine translated like the Trails Zero patch.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I've always heard FM5 is extremely up the rear end of every other game in the series so you might consider playing the earlier ones first just so you catch the references.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah fm5 concludes lit. every other plot point, its meant for turbofans

its still playable without it so long as youve at least playeed one or two and know the broad strokes of the setting, you can infer a lot, but if you're planning on playing the snes ones anyway id do them first

and fm5 is pretty good. i think it overstays its welcome a bit, iirc its longer than 4 which already felt a bit long in the tooth, but its a good game

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's mostly to explain what happened in between the time jumps in the story, the plot itself isn't hard at all to follow.

Also, FM5 has the most hours from me because it has a rogue-like simulator

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kingtheninja posted:

Is translated front mission 5 worth playing? I was a big fan of 3 and 4, always wished 5 would have made it over west. I should check out the snes games too but was kind of interested in 5.

It's the mgs4 of front mission complete with cutscenes that are like 30 minutes long

Unfortunately iirc there's a lot of fm2 stuff since that was the most well-regarded one in Japan but we never got it here

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I just wish they'd make another Gun Hazard. All I want from the series is another fun side-scrolling mech shooter.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

U-DO Burger posted:

it's pretty stiff, it's not the heroes of legend one that's in the works right now

there's an english patch for ao though that i think is supposed to be decent

super sweet best pal posted:

I just wish they'd make another Gun Hazard. All I want from the series is another fun side-scrolling mech shooter.

check out the assault suits games, metal warriors and gunhound, they lack the rpg stuff and they all have very different senses of weight but the core gameplay is the same

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Colonel posted:

it's pretty stiff, it's not the heroes of legend one that's in the works right now

there's an english patch for ao though that i think is supposed to be decent

darn. I was hoping to go through the Crossbell arc before ToCSIII comes out, but if the translation sucks then I guess I shouldn't rush things.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think the patch that's out was leaked from when the TL was being really poorly managed, and not fully edited even by that standard.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Colonel posted:

check out the assault suits games, metal warriors and gunhound, they lack the rpg stuff and they all have very different senses of weight but the core gameplay is the same

Yeah, I played Valken. Good enough but the customization in Gun Hazard elevates it a bit above that.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

U-DO Burger posted:

darn. I was hoping to go through the Crossbell arc before ToCSIII comes out, but if the translation sucks then I guess I shouldn't rush things.

It doesn't suck. It's not perfect, but it's perfectly serviceable.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Merilan posted:

With my experience in Disgaea 5, at some point it kinda clicked to me that the postgame and focusing on one character turned the game a bit more akin to a hyper-paced roguelike which made it really compelling.

Ended up in the same situation. Never figured out how to grind efficiently but I somehow ended up with a pair of DLC characters with millions of Attack and Int respectively and no idea how to do the same with others quickly. I just swapped the statisticians around from weapon to weapon and fought LV9999 Item World enemies. Just cannot wrap my head around any of the other stuff. Luckily, there's no need for it in the story of any of the games though so it's not like I missed out on beating the game entirely or anything.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

the current one that i'm playing with is rough but not as bad as i expected, i feel like all the characters come through especially since the main story is fully voiced (in japanese of course) which i didn't realize beforehand but really helps offset the rough patches of translation.

there's a better one in the works but doesn't seem like it's gonna be done in time to play the games before CS3 is out so i bit the bullet and decided to just play it as is and so far i'm not regretting it.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

like 90% of the poo poo npcs in front mission 5 talk about references fm 1 and 2. front mission 1 is busted but royd is a cool protagonist

definitely play front mission 5 if you liked the other ones at all. it's for turbofans like endorph said but it's still a good story and understandable by itself..and its a fun time

there's also servicable patch for fm2 though you have to consult a .txt for cutscenes. it's a good game. maybe the best one

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tae posted:

It's mostly to explain what happened in between the time jumps in the story, the plot itself isn't hard at all to follow.

The plot's not confusing so much as it's hard to care about anything that's going on. In my experience anyway. It basically assumes you have some pre-existing investment in its stuff and if you don't then its the dullest thing ever.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I played through Trails in the Sky fine, but I'm playing through Cold Steel now and get all sorts of crashes all the time. Is that a known issue? I'm playing on Windows.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FM5 is also probably one of the best looking PS2 games out there.

Making a HD remaster of it would own

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Remaster Makai Kingdom

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

prometheusbound2 posted:

I played through Trails in the Sky fine, but I'm playing through Cold Steel now and get all sorts of crashes all the time. Is that a known issue? I'm playing on Windows.

I had one part near the very end of CS2 that would always crash for me, until I locked my framerate to 60fps.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sefal posted:

Remaster Makai Kingdom
I'd go for that, considering Soul Nomad and Makai Kingdom were the two PS2 NIS games I missed out on.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
A Soul Nomad port would save NIS

okay it probably wouldn't but I still want it

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

U-DO Burger posted:

WA5 features a famous media personality who lures unsuspecting humans into a gameshow designed to get those people murdered. He also runs a mining operation that is manned entirely by human slaves. Even after all this horrible poo poo comes to light the MC forgives him and still thinks that person is like the greatest guy ever

WA5's plot is really bad

The MC is also certain he will see this guy again after watching his lower body get crushed by a giant boulder just before the rest of the cave collapses. I never beat the game so I don't know if they actually had him escape the cave.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
When the MC in WA5 used a shovel like a pogo stick all my hopes for the writing went out the window. It was fun though.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
They did set a new standard for sheer stupidity of the MC.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Zell should have been the main character of FF8.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Zell should have been the main character of FF8.

He has a love triangle too, so yeah it could work.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Spuzzz posted:

The MC is also certain he will see this guy again after watching his lower body get crushed by a giant boulder just before the rest of the cave collapses. I never beat the game so I don't know if they actually had him escape the cave.

lol he comes back out of nowhere, kills a single monster, and then dean swoons over him saying that he's the greatest hero ever and that dean could never hope to measure up to him

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Rebecca is a cutie.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Getsuya posted:

When the MC in WA5 used a shovel like a pogo stick all my hopes for the writing went out the window. It was fun though.

Shovel Knight RPG sounds cool.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
All this talk about WA makes me want to play at least the PS2 ones I never finished.

Have to play 3 in English though because of stupid autoscrolling text mixed with Wild Arms’ poetic Japanese.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

A Soul Nomad port would save NIS

okay it probably wouldn't but I still want it

Maybe NIS wouldn’t be in their current situation if they didn’t keep coming up with new ways to screw over their employees.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know how anyone sat down to write the design document for Wild ARMs 4 and didn't immediately go

protagonist: Virginia, duh
graphics: exactly WA3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Clive was the best protag in WA3 actually.