Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think it would be really incredible, even if it's just as sort of a throwaway thing, to be able to go back and play both Wolf3D and the original Doom/Doom 2 in full VR.

Obviously, it'd need a new engine and all of that, but keep everything the same. Billboarding sprites, total lack of floor and ceiling textures in Wolf3D. Maybe add actual weapon movement or location-based damage on enemies, but look-wise, it would stay classic.

It would be neat to be able to get a full 360 degree view of those worlds.

https://vimeo.com/301619215

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
i'd also like to throw in the lower resolution adding to the spooky, gritty, ~realistic~ vibe of old doom. the game feels much different at 320x200. anything more than a few steps away is reduced to a few pixels and it can really mess with the ole' imagination. the 256 color squashing did interesting things too, especially in darker areas. the palette's limited selection of dark hues meant that objects would share colors and appear as a single silhouette.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Minidust posted:

... I should play some more 4 I guess.

This is never not true.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Gaspy Conana posted:

i'd also like to throw in the lower resolution adding to the spooky, gritty, ~realistic~ vibe of old doom. the game feels much different at 320x200. anything more than a few steps away is reduced to a few pixels and it can really mess with the ole' imagination. the 256 color squashing did interesting things too, especially in darker areas. the palette's limited selection of dark hues meant that objects would share colors and appear as a single silhouette.

Agreed with the colors. GZDoom supports tonemapping to the palette these days so it's possible to replicate the look with the hardware renderer while still benefiting from dynamic lighting effects, it's how I play it in VR.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

It's me, I'm the monster who enjoys having randomized pitches enabled in gzdoom's sound options

I played the 1.2 shareware version way too much, ok :(

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yes I too like to listen to zombies dying with a girly shriek.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Due to having a lovely computer growing up, the first time I really had the chance the play Doom was with Final Doom for the playstation.

Unlike the original, it has a completely redone soundtrack that ditches all the rock music for more ambient sounds, which competently changes the tone of the game to something more sinister and melancholy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqfATimP4C8

When I finally got the chance to play the PC version of Doom/2 I kind of found them disappointing since I was so used to the atmosphere that the console version created.

Luckily, Aubrey Hodges would return to do the soundtrack for Doom 64 which was even more unnerving at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz6mFzpcmHQ

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SCheeseman posted:

Agreed with the colors. GZDoom supports tonemapping to the palette these days so it's possible to replicate the look with the hardware renderer while still benefiting from dynamic lighting effects, it's how I play it in VR.
I've started playing GZDoom using the hardware renderer with the palette tonemap enabled, 640x480 pixel dimension, but bloom and ambient occlusion turned on, and all forms of texture filtering turned off (with the palette tonemap and low pixel resolution, distant textures tend to turn into big blobs of solid colour when filtered). Everything has a bit more depth because of the AO but it never feels like it's outside of the visual realm of the original game.

I also use full mouselook with auto-aim turned off. It find having to aim at a specific point on the screen instead of just rotating to the correct angle place makes the game a lot more engaging. Even though headshots aren't a thing, I still go for them.

Crispy Doom reference image:

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That amid evil game looks crazy good

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Punk da Bundo posted:

That amid evil game looks crazy good

It's a lot of fun, and has improved a lot since it first hit early access over a year ago. Can't wait to play the final episode.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You can run Doom on anything.

even a printer

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

You can run Doom on anything.

even a printer

^^^ this is not what i thought it was going to be but its incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3rsfGINqBQ&t=57s

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yep, this is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks!

Any Wolf3D ones?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://further-beyond.itch.io/wolf3dvr
That's as close as I've seen.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Volte posted:

I've started playing GZDoom using the hardware renderer with the palette tonemap enabled, 640x480 pixel dimension, but bloom and ambient occlusion turned on, and all forms of texture filtering turned off (with the palette tonemap and low pixel resolution, distant textures tend to turn into big blobs of solid colour when filtered). Everything has a bit more depth because of the AO but it never feels like it's outside of the visual realm of the original game.

I also use full mouselook with auto-aim turned off. It find having to aim at a specific point on the screen instead of just rotating to the correct angle place makes the game a lot more engaging. Even though headshots aren't a thing, I still go for them.

Crispy Doom reference image:

AO + palette tonemap is not bad at all. Gives the game a Quake-ish look, reminding me of all that baked lighting effect. Still not a fan of bloom though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Volte posted:

I also use full mouselook with auto-aim turned off.

Allow me to re-use your post. This is something I wanted to comment. I do the same, and sometimes I watch a doom video in youtube of other people who plays 'original', with autoaim and no mouselook, and by comparison I think it makes the game slightly harder, as eventually you miss a few shots here and there, even if the classic autoaim sometimes could screw you up because how it prioritized enemies..

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Turin Turambar posted:

Allow me to re-use your post. This is something I wanted to comment. I do the same, and sometimes I watch a doom video in youtube of other people who plays 'original', with autoaim and no mouselook, and by comparison I think it makes the game slightly harder, as eventually you miss a few shots here and there, even if the classic autoaim sometimes could screw you up because how it prioritized enemies..

Vanilla Doom is different in the platforming department without the ability to look around either. I think it balances out. It's a lot easier to see where you are for a jump when you can eyeball the floor underneath the bottoms of under your feet.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Vanilla Doom is different in the platforming department without the ability to look around either. I think it balances out. It's a lot easier to see where you are for a jump when you can eyeball the floor underneath the bottoms of under your feet.

Well, true, I hadn't thought on that.

Some Amid Evil quick & dirty impressions:

UE4 is worth it, it giving me great performance and instantaneous loading when pressing f9.
Very good music, although by default the music volume is pretty low, I found myself adjusting the sound effects to below the music level to enjoy it better.
As commented before, the game in Hard is easier than say, Dusk in Cero Miedo, so hardasses should search how to use 'Evil' difficulty.
Good enemy variety. One of the strong points as each episode has their own enemy set. It's almost a pity that they enemy set is tiered and limited to each episode in that way. I'm more in the 'gently caress realism and verisimilitude' camp and have all the monster types mixed up.
The level design is pretty decent for an old school style shooter, and there is plenty of secrets, but for now (the first two episodes played) there is nothing super memorable or outstanding. In that regard E2-E3 of Dusk has the edge as it had some memorable poo poo. Although it seems the level design is more spectacular in later episodes in Amid Evil...
Weapons are nice. It has some cool moments, like doing a lightning trident overkill or countering a red saber slash with your own magic saber.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 19, 2019

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Imps don't have fur because imps live in hell and the fur would burn off you FOOLS, YOU MORONS

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Ambient occlusion is one of the few effects I actually like in doom because it grounds the world so well. I can’t wait for Doom global illumination with sector shaped irradiance volumes or something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I first played doom on the super Nintendo (I think?) And o was terrified of the first level because doomguy's face would get really bloody and then I died.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Turin Turambar posted:

The level design is pretty decent for an old school style shooter, and there is plenty of secrets, but for now (the first two episodes played) there is nothing super memorable or outstanding. In that regard E2-E3 of Dusk has the edge as it had some memorable poo poo. Although it seems the level design is more spectacular in later episodes in Amid Evil...

I don't think Amid Evil ever really has any big set pieces to match things like the big meat grinder/sky cathedral/blood tornado/etc. Where it wows is more in the... ambient detail, I guess.

Episodes 1 and 2 are a pretty solid baseline but not as good as it gets.

3 (Sacred Path) I'm not a huge fan of, mostly because M3 is sort of a slog. Though it has been overhauled since the last time I played it, so maybe it's better now.

4 (Solar Solstice) is probably my favourite, largely because the enemies there are a joy to fight. M3 drops off a little.

5 (Forges) is definitely memorable, but whether you'll like it or not I can't say. It tends to be either people's favourite or their absolute worst. Personally, I think it's miserable. M1 I have some time for, but the other two...

6 (Arcane Expanse) is gorgeous and striking and abstract, a definite high point. There's just one particular enemy type that's a little too much and some sequences with obnoxious water physics that mar it for me.

7 looks loving amazing but I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Solar Solstice and Arcane Expanse are definitely high points in terms of level design and atmosphere for me. Solar Solstice especially has a pretty memorable back-half that feels like you're really working towards an ultimate destination.

Forges...I can take it or leave it. That first map is really bleh; the other maps are fine though.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Linguica posted:

Ambient occlusion is one of the few effects I actually like in doom because it grounds the world so well. I can’t wait for Doom global illumination with sector shaped irradiance volumes or something.

ling do you mess with any of the tonemapping stuff

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Parachute posted:

doom truly is the greatest video game ever made.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Parachute posted:

this is cool but can the narrator take a loving breath

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I play DOOM and Carmageddon on my phone while dicking around waiting for things

Child me would go apeshit if he knew this would be the future

I feel boomertastic

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Songbearer posted:

I play DOOM and Carmageddon on my phone while dicking around waiting for things

Child me would go apeshit if he knew this would be the future

I feel boomertastic

I like how Carmageddon was not only rated 18 on release but also had to change all the pedestrians to zombies with green blood. Now you can play it on your phone and it's rated 12 with all the original gore.

Also this reminds me how the Mail ran a front page headline about Carma titled BAN DEATH GAME NOW: POPE and later explained that this was of course referring to MP Greg Pope and not the actual Pope :v:

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
The correct way to experience Doom is on a 486 that has no sound card so all the audio is just the PC speaker going 'beboop beboop'.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
that's objectively wrong, you need a soundblaster card so you can hear the imp noises and sing along to the fm synth music

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

as a lad i only played doom with cheats and only had ep 1 since it was shareware. i don't think i played anything else until a friend had doom for windows 95.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah i went shareware -> d2 -> udoom as well

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Soricidus posted:

that's objectively wrong, you need a soundblaster card so you can hear the imp noises and sing along to the fm synth music

This is exactly how my original '93 setup was done. 486 SX/33 computer with a Sound Blaster (note: not even a SB16!) and I'd have to use memmaker and have new config.sys and autoexec.bat files while rebooting my computer into Doom just to get it to run as smooth as possible. Our generation used the arrow keys to move, control to shoot and we only touched the mouse when we rebooted back to Windows 3.1. When Windows 95 first came out the first thing I did was create alternate boot profiles so I could boot right back into DOS/Doom.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Although I was an avid keyboarder for awhile, I always tried to make an effort to use the mouse. The demo loops that came with the game were recorded with the mouse, and the fluidity of the movement was very appealing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVq0s1nFt-4

It seems that even during development Romero was using a mouse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpEBUV_g9vU&t=1020s

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's weird to me that people are like "Doom isn't a horror game you go fast and blow stuff up" as if that's not a huge chunk of the horror movies/tv/etc out there? Horror doesn't just mean low-key suspense thrillers.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The problem I had with the mouse in original Doom was that you had to pick up the mouse and keep sliding it forward to move forward. It didn't make sense to me at the time to just use it in conjunction with the keyboard to move left and right.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

The problem I had with the mouse in original Doom was that you had to pick up the mouse and keep sliding it forward to move forward. It didn't make sense to me at the time to just use it in conjunction with the keyboard to move left and right.
Works better with a trackball. That's how I originally played Dark Forces. Not great though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Casimir Radon posted:

Works better with a trackball. That's how I originally played Dark Forces. Not great though.

Tried that also, but that just feels so drat bonkers to me I'll never get the feel of it down.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Thread consensus of using mouse 2 to move forward in Quake and also only needing to mash your face against buttons and doors instead of a "Use" key

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Tried that also, but that just feels so drat bonkers to me I'll never get the feel of it down.
Mostly because I was a kid and didn't know better. I also thought Doom was a ripped off version of Dark Forces the first time I saw it.