Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But, I mean, specifically, what does insurance do? Is it just, no insurance means you lose your ship if it's blown up, and insurance means you always get an unlimited number of free copies of your ship? Is it limited in number? Have they ever explained it at all?

The open-ended, loose non-definition of LTI lets every backer project what they want it to be onto the product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

The open-ended, loose non-definition of LTI lets every backer project what they want it to be onto the product.

My LTI is a front-row seat for the main event of the ELE.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

The Kins posted:

Oh poo poo, this is basically the intro train from Half-Life 1, isn't it? I'm too lazy to go map-decompiling right now, but I'm pretty sure that was basically the same sort of moving object as an elevator. Just lengthier. And with windows.

CIG should use the train hats technique.

Now is the time to just embrace sandbox jank as the core gameplay. It could work as both a saleable cosmetic and the org rank below mopsman.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I admit star citizen would be fun as a jank Garry's mod semi-mmo

give the players a physics gun and there will be a small fun playerbase for a long time

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

The Kins posted:

Oh poo poo, this is basically the intro train from Half-Life 1, isn't it? I'm too lazy to go map-decompiling right now, but I'm pretty sure that was basically the same sort of moving object as an elevator. Just lengthier. And with windows.

If CR tried to make half-life 1 ...right now we would have weekly TV show that interviews a hermit crab trainer.... "Soon as the new hermit crab gym is finishd, crab training is going to speed up dramatically ... Then it's just a matter of mocappen the crabs in action!!

We are still working on how the player will interact with crabs... But it's all coming together with enough lust on the mind... What are we simulating again?

Pledge now, for your exclusive hgrunt skin. Just $799... Join our crowbar club today only 4k be the first to see page 4 of the installation guide.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I'm surprised CIG hasn't announced high-fidelity cardboard keyboard overlays yet.

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

:lol: and the other tweets that followed.

It sounds like he's reading a Grammy speech for becoming a QA tester. Maybe I'm just a cynical rear end in a top hat.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Bloody hell, the cheek! FD aren't even making games any more, they are getting other suckers to make games for them and becoming a big bad publisher, who will obviously rush games out just to make a quick $$$.

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/frontier-marks-move-into-publishing-with-deal-for-surviving-mars-developer-haemimonts-next-game/

Thank god for CIG!
If you invested in FD's stocks around the time ED released (word that is absent from CI's dictionary), you would see quite a nice return since then.That's what investment means.

On the other hand, backers of SC are always talking about "investing" into "development" of SC, but their return is animation of rotating elevator.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E4iu-BbI4A

:shepspends:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

rePool posted:

:lol:

It sounds like he's reading a Grammy speech for a QA tester. Maybe I'm just a cynical rear end in a top hat.

Apparently Robert's Space Industries has filled 2 (Two) positions on it's job board, taking the count down to 108 open positions worldwide.

At the current rate, they should fill the remaining positions in around 2050 or so.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why a fresh 2:1 would accept a QA tester job rather than 3D Vehicle Artist - Wilmslow, Animation Outsource Manager - Wilmslow, Animator - Wilmslow, Art Outsource Manager - Wilmslow, Cinematic Artist (Marketing) - Wilmslow, Concept Artist - Wilmslow, Environment Artist - Wilmslow, Facial Animator - Derby, Hard Surface Artist - Wilmslow, Lead Facial Animator - Wilmslow/Derby, Lighting Artist - Wilmslow, Props Artist - Wilmslow, Real-Time VFX Artist - Wilmslow, Senior Animator - Wilmslow, Senior Environment Artist - Wilmslow, Senior Lighting Artist - Wilmslow, Senior Technical Animator - Wilmslow, Technical Animator - Wilmslow, Technical Artist - Wilmslow, UI Artist - Wilmslow or Vehicle Art Director - Wilmslow.

They must not need them as much.

Edit: https://jrfabrication.co.uk/star-citizen-prop-store/1-40-greycat-ptv-kit-model

They're 3D printing these.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 19, 2019

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

rePool posted:

:lol: and the other tweets that followed.

It sounds like he's reading a Grammy speech for becoming a QA tester. Maybe I'm just a cynical rear end in a top hat.

Nothing wrong with being a QA tester or being excited about it. The problem is the same it's been for almost a decade now: they're overreacting in a bid to make a job at CIG seem like the ultimate dream come true, so casual readers will think it's a valid game development studio. Everything with this project is the meta: make it look real.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Most of my waifu figures cost less and look better. And, oh, they come in prepainted.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Dwesa posted:

If you invested in FD's stocks around the time ED released (word that is absent from CI's dictionary), you would see quite a nice return since then.That's what investment means.

On the other hand, backers of SC are always talking about "investing" into "development" of SC, but their return is animation of rotating elevator.

:wrong:
When you worship brands then investment is oblation. It's only plain money until Chris Roberts consecrates it with his perfect hands.

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

stingtwo posted:

The game is simply unfinished and broken to the point it would take years and millions for competent people to make it work.

If this game were in the state it currently is in 2 years after the kickstarter and none of the BS like the crytek lawsuit or 280 million or so debt the company has incured in the 8 years since, you would get buyers.

But as is; a lawsuit that may kill the game, the debt, the massive scope, all the promises the company has sold to get 280 million, not to mention that for at least 3 years, the company has lost money. Not even marvel would buy this just to get mark hamill mocap footage.

All this talk about the development made me want to give it another go. Fired up my account I supposedly don't have since I never backed the game according to some toxic fans.
It's the first time in months since I fired it up and I was left incredibly bored after about an hour.

Apparently, there is now a queue when you click "launch," and I was in queue position 1... for an MMO. It was about 3 minutes from LAUNCH to seeing the main menu. Not sure what they
did but loading the initial menu has slowed exponentially. Spawned at Port and hopped on my Connie andromeda.

1. Global chat while playing doesn't work, so I thought I was on a dead server for a few minutes. Noticed only 15 people and it felt empty.
2. Jumped to ARCCORP
3. Couldn't get the HUD to show AREA 18 or anywhere actually. I had to get out of my seat, shut off the ship, get in my seat, start ship, and still nothing.
4. Looked around like a space drunk for a local moon I hoped would allow the QD to spool, worked, turned around and could finally see AREA 18 but now it's "OUT OF RANGE."

Long story short, an hour from PO to Area 18, the hangar wasn't very well noticeable where to land or any indication of where it was so more flying like a drunken space cadet.
Hopped on the first train and noticed all AI everywhere standing still on that last picture and said forget it and quit.

AUS and USA were both dead servers and no one talking. You had to hit F1 and go to the chat via mobiglass.

Ran the game on 3 different machines to see how playable it is for different machines.

1. 980m - 40+ FPS
2. 1070 - 50+ FPS
3. 2070 - 70+ FPS

Enter hangar and all 3 dropped below 25 FPS. It was as boring as reading this post.

rePool fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 19, 2019

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

You can use [timg] instead of [img] to get a thumbnail :)

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Hav posted:

Turns out the reinventing the wheel is easy.

Come with me on a trip to the world of the mighty boosh;

May 2017
https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/star-citizen-is-becoming-just-as-detailed-as-battl-33388450/?page=4

quote:

They have something called the "zone system" already which is going to be used with that bind culling. Their zone system has the ability to have their servers spin up new instances for the various zones. So the interior of the ships will be running on different hardware than the exterior since the two communicate on a much more primitive level. Zones can contain an unlimited amount of zones within them in what I guess is just a basic tree structure. The ability to spin up new instances for zones within a zone allows a ship to exist in an instance of 100 other ships while still having players and NPCs within the zones. Since zones contain zones, a single star system can be a single zone with a dozen zones where player exist within it. Therefor each system can have a server instance that's tracking all of the general data while it's spinning up new instances to handle the more complicated data. 
Zones, interlinked

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

A living, breathing world 250 mio wax museum.

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

Hav posted:

Apparently Robert's Space Industries has filled 2 (Two) positions on it's job board, taking the count down to 108 open positions worldwide.

At the current rate, they should fill the remaining positions in around 2050 or so.

The always hiring studio

Hav posted:

I'm a bit puzzled as to why a fresh 2:1 would accept a QA tester job rather than 3D Vehicle Artist

They must not need them as much.

I missed that and puzzled would be an understatement. :wth:
QA > than 3D Vehicle Artist it seems, Makes sense.

Scruffpuff posted:

Nothing wrong with being a QA tester or being excited about it. The problem is the same it's been for almost a decade now: they're overreacting in a bid to make a job at CIG seem like the ultimate dream come true, so casual readers will think it's a valid game development studio. Everything with this project is the meta: make it look real.

I see nothing wrong with QA or excitement but the speech to work at CIG seems over the top. I'm still waiting to see Relic post something similar. That would be the best gift to humanity.

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

Neltharak posted:

You can use [timg] instead of [img] to get a thumbnail :)

:thanks: :worship:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://twitter.com/TheYamiks/status/1141107670595907584

The Worm was not a nostalgic joke! :argh:

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Holy poo poo hahaha

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Oh no, someone save this poor fool!

I get the excitement though, fresh graduates are usually just happy to have a job and don't have the career experience to know if they're being screwed or if a particular workplace is awful.
I was 'lucky' enough to get cycled through quite a few workplace in my early career at a variety of different company sizes and cultures and have a decent handle by now on what I'm looking for and what a reasonable compensation package should be.

But really though, can you imagine being a QA tester at CIG of all places? The difficulty in finding and recreating bugs would be enormous as they're surely all hidden behind walls of other bugs.
This guy is going to be crushed into a cynic faster than most graduates.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

rePool posted:

I see nothing wrong with QA or excitement but the speech to work at CIG seems over the top. I'm still waiting to see Relic post something similar. That would be the best gift to humanity.

Pretty much everyone now _encourages_ employees to _organically_ use their social media accounts to _promote_ things. I've responded with the concept that my social media accounts are not the kind of thing people want smeared over their product.

Again, QA itself is a fine place to be, but if your company is advertising 20% of it's current workforce, perhaps they need people with a goddamned degree in some of those other positions.

Fidelitious posted:

QA might be the probationary period.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Fidelitious posted:

Oh no, someone save this poor fool!

I get the excitement though, fresh graduates are usually just happy to have a job and don't have the career experience to know if they're being screwed or if a particular workplace is awful.
I was 'lucky' enough to get cycled through quite a few workplace in my early career at a variety of different company sizes and cultures and have a decent handle by now on what I'm looking for and what a reasonable compensation package should be.

But really though, can you imagine being a QA tester at CIG of all places? The difficulty in finding and recreating bugs would be enormous as they're surely all hidden behind walls of other bugs.

Nah, he'll be the head of QA by the end of summer and the senior game developer by end of year. Good on him.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

What are you possibly bug testing? The game as a whole is a shoddy, unstable disaster that has no clear idea of what it's trying to do and whatever it does seems almost accidental. It's like doing QA for a car company that hasn't decided whether it wants to build golf carts, family sedans, motorcycles or a main battle tank. Even when it aspires to slapping something with four wheels and an engine together, whatever rolls of the assembly line looks like someone rummaged through a stolen AutoZone shipment and threw a pile of parts into a heap. Yeah, go troubleshoot that, rear end in a top hat.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

:wrong:
When you worship brands then investment is oblation. It's only plain money until Chris Roberts consecrates it with his perfect hands.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/dudkqnh.png][/img]

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game charges $20,000 DLC, it is absolutely finished.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hahaha the idea that SC backers who have put in literal thousands of dollars aren't going to feel entitled. That's HILARIOUS.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Galactic_Kark/status/1141086898179530757
https://twitter.com/Galactic_Kark/status/1141065600397189121

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
just a reminder that randy pitchford has done countless stupid loving things re: gearbox and its taken 10 years for this poo poo to hit mainstream news

now there's hard proof that he siphoned off $12m from Gearbox to his own personal company Pitchford Entertainment, Media and Magic (which is scummy as gently caress but might not actually be a loving crime btw)

its going to take years and years more to see all the poo poo crobbear and council got up to

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Well, I certainly trust <squints> Dr Lam Nutritional coaching and it's curiously familial structure;

https://www.drlam.com/about/

Yelp is not a fan;

quote:

I came to Dr. Lam to treat my adrenal fatigue, something he specializes in. He does what he calls nutritional coaching for this over the phone. It involves taking various supplements that you can buy from him or elsewhere. I had an initial call with Dr. Lam himself. He reviewed my medical history and symptoms, then told me that I had advanced adrenal fatigue but that he could help me. He told me that with the supplements I would feel better within a week. He told me that to get the protocols for my treatment would involve a 45 minute consultation with him or his wife. For him it would bean exorbitant $800 for that one consulatation, for his wife, $300, with equally expensive follow up visits to come.
I told Dr. Lam that I was on food stamps and welfare and a single mom. He told me that was ok, they don't turn anyone away due to lack of ability to pay. Seemed like a true healer's attitude. He said i could just pay a token amount. He referred me to someone to set the appointment, and that person told me I could pay $50 per weekly session. Hardly a token amount for a poor person. I told her that was unaffordable to me. So we settled on ten dollars a session, now that was more than reasonable.
Then my appointment time came. I met by phone with Dorine, Dr.Lam's wife. She asked me the same exact questions Dr. Lam had asked, and I gave the same answers. She then told me my case was "too complicated" and that she could not help me. I wonder, how did my case get "too complicated" in between the time Dr. Lam told me he could help me and my appointment time? There was no new information presented. These people just want money. When they realized there was no substantial money to be made off of me, they dropped me like a hot potato. More shysters seeking to profit off the ill and desperate.

In a world full of scams...speaking of which...

I'm not actually certain of your assertion that it's not a crime given that the movement of money tends to come with a whole bunch of paperwork that is supposed to calm down money laundering and payola, the second of which this actually appears to be. There's also going to be some questions from the board about apparently siphoning off money; not the first time this has been alleged with the Pitchford.

But seriously, I wouldn't be overly worried by what is turning out to be a highly entertaining case involving a couple of hotheads that has already given us the USB full of dodgy pron and internal paperwork left at a 'Medieval times'.

Especially given that the Star Control people have all kissed and made up.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 19, 2019

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Game charges $20,000 DLC, it is absolutely finished.

If you can pay money for it, it is released and deserving of all the scrutiny of a released product.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

If you can pay money for it, it is released and deserving of all the scrutiny of a released product.

And covered by the relevant laws governing the sale of goods.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hav posted:

And covered by the relevant laws governing the sale of goods.

:hmmyes:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Get off the juice son.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lol "He [Chris] is obligated to give us nothing"

Words and sentence structure are important, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol "He [Chris] is obligated to give us nothing"

Words and sentence structure are important, folks.

The one obligation Chris Roberts will fulfill.