Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Devil posted:

New York and Washington the only American cities worth a drat, confirm/deny?

deny, neither of those cities is worth a drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
NYC owns and lol at anyone denying this
DC was built on a swamp

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

luxury handset posted:

deny, neither of those cities is worth a drat

Fair enough.

Grape posted:

DC was built on a swamp

This seems like a good thing? Also I am Dutch.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grape posted:

DC was built on a swamp

nyc is great if you're rich

not so much if you're normal

we have to break out of the mid 20th century paradigm of coastal cities being beacons of bohemian culture and update to the 21st century paradigms of them being segregated playgrounds for the wealthy

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Orange Devil posted:

Fair enough.

This seems like a good thing? Also I am Dutch.

The Netherlands does not have a humid-subtropical climate.

quote:

we have to break out of the mid 20th century paradigm of coastal cities being beacons of bohemian culture and update to the 21st century paradigms of them being segregated playgrounds for the wealthy

NYC is not wall to wall poverty outside of a few rich enclaves my dude.
Nor is it = Manhattan.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

fishmech posted:

Some American cities with depiction of where you may only build single family detached housing.

I'm the "city" of Sandy Springs instead of Atlanta

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Live nearish to San Jose, can confirm that it feels like a giant suburb(which makes it blend perfectly with every small to medium-sized city next to it)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grape posted:

DC was built on a swamp

Leningrad was built on a swamp so I don't know what point you're trying to make here.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Here's the source (it's the Failing New York Times)
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/18/upshot/cities-across-america-question-single-family-zoning.html

Also on the main source they also include Chicago and Arlington Texas (instead of Dallas)

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

They should have made the cities to the same scale.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

I'm the "city" of Sandy Springs instead of Atlanta

probably more cohesive city limits, atlanta's city line is all messed up because of a massive annexation in one direction but hard borders on the other

Jerry Cotton posted:

Leningrad was built on a swamp so I don't know what point you're trying to make here.

pointless jocking when really, all american cities are bad, by design (or lack of)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

We should outlaw single-family homes and just build gigantic arcologies

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
outlaw families :twisted:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol at using Arlington as a representation of how american cities are. If you ever see someone mention "DFW", Arlington is one of the bits between D and FW. They have... Six Flags? And the Cowboys' stadium.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

fishmech posted:

Some American cities with depiction of where you may only build single family detached housing.

Houstonian here, what's this "zoning" you speak of :pwn:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

dublish posted:

They should have made the cities to the same scale.

They should've picked different colors. I'm only mildly colorblind and those two are exactly the drat same.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol at using Arlington as a representation of how american cities are. If you ever see someone mention "DFW", Arlington is one of the bits between D and FW. They have... Six Flags? And the Cowboys' stadium.

from the article it looks like they specifically singled out sandy springs and arlington as examples of younger, suburban edge cities

and to be fair, those cities are far better examples of the typical american urban form than new york, chicago, or seattle

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I think the actual intent with San Jose, Arlington, & Sandy Springs is "wow those people who don't live in the northeast sure are loving retards unlike us in New York" and Atlanta, Dallas, and San Francisco weren't bad enough.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
atlanta is that bad, but if you want an unwalkable city with hosed up borders and a shitload of single family homes they already included los angeles

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
That's what I mean, like LA is bad enough they just post it instead of Anaheim or whatever. Atlanta was too close to maybe being good so let's spin the wheel and find an even worse suburb.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't know the actual numbers but SF feels quite a bit denser than SJ

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
big disagree here, all american cities are bad and atlanta is squarely in 'very bad'

Elyv posted:

I don't know the actual numbers but SF feels quite a bit denser than SJ

it is but for comparative purposes san francisco is tiny and has an outsized office district that will throw the map out of whack. san francisco is also something dumb like 3/4 water due to mapping quirks and outlying islands

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 19, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

luxury handset posted:

boy you sure are mad about your suburb huh

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

No Safe Word posted:

Houstonian here, what's this "zoning" you speak of :pwn:

Houston might not do formal density or single use zoning, but much of the city is covered by private restrictive covenants in which property owners are forced to agree to effective zoning, and the city will enforce them.

At least it does mean there are some places where densification can occur, unlike other cities

Edit: the state of California estimates San Francisco would be something silly like twice as populous as it is today if it had actually built enough housing to meet demand since the eighties, like imagine the city with 1.7m residents instead of 800k

Squalid fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 19, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Peanut President posted:

I think the actual intent with San Jose, Arlington, & Sandy Springs is "wow those people who don't live in the northeast sure are loving retards unlike us in New York" and Atlanta, Dallas, and San Francisco weren't bad enough.

San Jose is like 40 miles from San Francisco so I don't know what you think you're saying with that one.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
san jose also isn't comparable to a bedroom community, san jose is an actual hub of a polycentric metropolis with its own independent economic justification. probably more indicative of the bay area as a whole than the city of san francisco proper

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Grape posted:

San Jose is like 40 miles from San Francisco so I don't know what you think you're saying with that one.

Same metro is all.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Peanut President posted:

Same metro is all.

handset is right I think, arbitrary South Bay city(Redwood City, Mountain View, Cupertino, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, whatever) feel a lot more like SJ than they do SF

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Peanut President posted:

Same metro is all.

Depending on some definitions they aren't even that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

luxury handset posted:

outlaw families :twisted:

Can't hurt to try.

Would end nepotism pretty swiftly though I imagine it would be replaced by some other form of corruption.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
The biggest failure of those maps is scale.

Put LA to scale if you really want to illustrate the problem.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
scale doesn't really matter here except on the smaller end because what is being measured is proportion of land area devoted to exclusive low density residential uses. the proportion of land inside of a single city's jurisdiction is not a great metric but it works well enough to write an article about

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Goddam I’m glad my family lives in Texas instead of California

Also spoiler alert: everyone between Boston and Washington, if you aren’t from there, definitely wants you to feel like a douche for having been born in The Wrong US

Including poo poo like “ugh if you really didn’t like [birthplace] you’d just move” since that’s an easy thing that everyone can do, not that anyone born in Brooklyn would ever have to experience it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pook Good Mook posted:

The biggest failure of those maps is scale.

Put LA to scale if you really want to illustrate the problem.

Er, what do you think it would prove, to make it impossible to make out any detail on DC?

It also seems like a lot of you are missing that it's not trying to say something like "in these cities the blue areas are entirely high density housing" - the point being made is the pink areas that absolutely bar high density housing. From personal experience I can tell you that sizable chunks of the land zoned to allow more than just single family homes in DC and NYC is still single family homes built decades and decades ago. But they're also areas that developers can and do buy out the single family lots and put up low and mid rise condos and apartment on the same land, since the current zoning allows for it.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Goddam I’m glad my family lives in Texas

Wow, you hate them that much?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

fishmech posted:

Er, what do you think it would prove, to make it impossible to make out any detail on DC?

It also seems like a lot of you are missing that it's not trying to say something like "in these cities the blue areas are entirely high density housing" - the point being made is the pink areas that absolutely bar high density housing. From personal experience I can tell you that sizable chunks of the land zoned to allow more than just single family homes in DC and NYC is still single family homes built decades and decades ago. But they're also areas that developers can and do buy out the single family lots and put up low and mid rise condos and apartment on the same land, since the current zoning allows for it.

Scale of the problem. If the point is to show that American cities need to re-zone to address many problems, it will have a much larger proportional impact on 10 blocks in DC than 10 blocks in the San Fernando Valley.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

fishmech posted:

Wow, you hate them that much?

More I like driving home without facing a packed freeway

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Goddam I’m glad my family lives in Texas instead of California

Also spoiler alert: everyone between Boston and Washington, if you aren’t from there, definitely wants you to feel like a douche for having been born in The Wrong US

Including poo poo like “ugh if you really didn’t like [birthplace] you’d just move” since that’s an easy thing that everyone can do, not that anyone born in Brooklyn would ever have to experience it

Please tell us more about ignorant people cluelessly stereotyping other places, man who thinks Brooklyn is rich.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

More I like driving home without facing a packed freeway

yeah packed freeways are signs of economic vitality, not housing density - low housing density is more likely to cause congestion

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

*drives route through DC, Baltimore, Philly, Newark, the Bronx, Bridgeport, Worcester, Lowell*
Well LA DEE DA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Grape posted:

Depending on some definitions they aren't even that.

depending on some definitions i'm a good poster but that doesn't make it true pal